Putter Don't Work

Many of you may know from reading some of my posts. I can not putt.... on the course.

I practice 5 - 10 - 15 footers in my living room and I'm about 65-70% or better depending on the day.

I've been stopping by the practice green and picking a flat area to putt on. Left / Right , Long / Short. I'm 20% at best on the green.

I have a straight putting stroke with maybe the slightest arc if any.

I don't have access to get fit anywhere near me.

What can I do to get this thing working?? Please help!

- Alan

Do you feel like your ability to read the greens is the problem or your stroke and hitting the ball on your line is the troubling part?

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

I get the ball rolling on line, andI can read the greens. I will be spending more time on the practice green, it's my least practiced part of my game. Any specific drills or practice anyone would like to share? I do the clock thing and the gate thing. Is there something better?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I was talking with my pro about that this weekend. 8-10 footers should be 1 out of 6. If your making 65-70% you may not be as bad as you think you are.

The best suggestion is to approach the ball from behind take one or two strokes looking at the hole then set up and repeat the last stroke. That's from the Little Red Book. The other advice is just hit your approaches closer.😎

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

And if you are really hitting those percentages, you shouldn't be worrying about your putting

PGA's Shot Tracker reveals that tour players on average make:

99% of putts from 3 feet and in

69% of 6-foot putts

54% of 8-foot putts

31% of putts between 10 and 15 feet

60-70% in my living room. 20% on real green.

Why do you think that is?  Mental approach? Only practicing straight putts? Indoors significantly slower?  In order to get better you must identify what is causing the drastic differences and attack those areas

Not sure. I don't know if you've ever been to a Michigan house before, but my living room has as much break as Augusta.

It is obviously slower, but the greens at the course are slow as molasses right now.

The hallway at work is like putting on cement, I practice there too during lunch. With "meh" results. I like to play Open with everything from driver to wedges, just videoed my putting and I'm closed a lot. Might be a set up problem. Gots lotsa stuff to work on.

Unfortunately there isn't a fix all. Imo you gotta just keep messing around. Grip, putter grips, stance, etc. changing some very simple things can add a TON of confidence. Recently I was screwing around on the greens and started lifting my putter off the ground like Fowler does. Made a bunch in a row and all of sudden had confidence. Not saying to do that but messing around with something and it working once or twice will totally change your confidence. I setup open on left to right putts (I'm righty) but I'm not focused on my feet/shoulders etc. just face and ball

Now...if you are three putting from 12 feet I doubt you are misreading it by 5 feet so you have a speed issue and speed is all feel imo. Pick a spot 12 inches in front of our ball for line and then focus on your speed.

<p>Knoxville, TN 8 Hdcp PXG 0811  10.59deg loft Ping G25 3 wood Titleist 2i rescue Ping I irons +1 upright Vokey Sm5 52, 56, OdysseyRed 2Ball Fang with 1.0 super stroke</p>

I usually have pretty darn good approaches. But I tend to 3 putt from 12' a lot and it costs me. I probably just rush it. Or I really suck at putting.

Do you have a consistent miss?  You say you hit your line,  how have you measured or validated?  IMO the only thing home putting is good for is working on line.  i use the dime drill... put a dime about 16 inches in front of your ball and try to roll the ball over the dime with varying stroke lengths.  

When you 3 putt from 12 feet,  how far is the second puttt?

For distance control,  do you vary stroke length or putter speed?  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Thanks Gents. I'm a fix it myself type of guy. Usually ends up bad. Don't ask me to do drywall... ever.

Seriously though, thanks for the input. It's raining for the foreseeable future. I'll give these things a try.

I also am worse of the course but I think this makes sense--a lot more variables plus the putts actually matter so the mental side comes into play.

You can always try the classic fix--get a new putter

Won't necessarily help but probably the most fun of the options.

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

I also am worse of the course but I think this makes sense--a lot more variables plus the putts actually matter so the mental side comes into play.

You can always try the classic fix--get a new putter

I just got 3 new putters....

- Alan

I usually have pretty darn good approaches. But I tend to 3 putt from 12' a lot and it costs me. I probably just rush it. Or I really suck at putting.

Sounds like a mental/ concentration issue. Is your routine on short putts the same as on long?

Sent from my SM-G935P using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

I don't really have a routine. I've been working on using a line on the ball, and lining it up on my intended putt line and I can get it going on that line. And focusing more. Two or three practice strokes. Probably just need more reps. I never put much time into putting, taking the game a little more seriously than I have in the past and this is where I lose strokes.

Anyone use an open stance for putting?

Yes and it's a recent change for me. I've always had good pace but never made enough inside 10 feet. I'm right eye dominant and have always struggled to see the line on shorter putts. I finally just went to a very open stance and feel like I can see the line much better from more of a facing position. It's made a remarkable difference.

:callaway-small: Rogue SZ 10.5 *NEW* Fujikura Pro Green 65 X

:callaway-small: Rogue 15 degree Evnflow Blue 6.5

Back in the Bag :srixon-small: Z765 4-G Nippon Modus 120 Stiff

:vokey-small: 54 and 60

:bobby-grace-1: Amazing Grace Ass Kicker

Yes and it's a recent change for me. I've always had good pace but never made enough inside 10 feet. I'm right eye dominant and have always struggled to see the line on shorter putts. I finally just went to a very open stance and feel like I can see the line much better from more of a facing position. It's made a remarkable difference.

Wow, are you in my head?

I'm right eye dominated!! That's why I hit my irons, wedges, and woods in a fade shape. All be damned! You might have just saved the day!!

- Alan

tried a few in the living room. Seems ok! I shoulda know better. I shoot guns open stanced, play the rest of my golf Open, just feels more natural. Thanks! I'll take it to the course for more real testing tomorrow during the snow storm.

Archived