Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Tempo, smash factor, feel, inserts, and putting

cnosil

Heard something recently that the smash factor on a putter is in the 1.6+ range but based on inserts and grooves there can be a lot of variation. Saw something from my putting instructor that indicated with the super soft inserts, players have a tendency to increase their tempo to adjust for the different feel and distance. As they changed the inserts, the players tempo returned to normal levels.

The key to putting and distance control is knowing how fast the ball comes off the face. I think part of that key is keeping a tempo that matches your normal body tempo. Going to fast or slow messes up your internal rhythm.

For those people that indicate that the are feel putters and change their putter often, do you see this type of scenario? Maybe this is why people go back to their trust old putter.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I think you are implying that it is better to not change putters a lot, maybe I read to much into your thoughts and question, I would submit that it is better to not change putters often. I think it is a club that once you get used to it, you should continue to use it. I also kind of think pick one and stick with it, it does not matter which one. I made a decision to switch. One thing I don't intend to do now, is second guess or think about something else.

I believe whatever your mode, feel, tempo or otherwise that the most import factor is muscle memory derived from practice.

Driver Taylor Made M2 Ping G 3 wood 14.5 loftPing G hybrid 19Hogan Radial 3-PW(forged circa 1989)Evnroll ER2, Golf bag, old and worn out circa 1989

I am not implying anything. I think I am asking people that choose putters based on feel, do they include tempo as part of feel or is it just the ball impact that counts as feel. Do they even consider how fast the ball comes off the face? When changing putters, are you looking for the same feel as your current putter?

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I think this is why certain putters are living rent free in my head. I'll roll some putters smooth as silk and others you can just call me wreck it Ralph. Depending on how in depth one wants to dive into the science I think you're spot on with your post.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I have both insert and milled putters.... and I honestly have never even thought about my tempo changing to compensate for the difference.

My "old faithful" is an insert putter, but lately I've had success with a milled face so that's what residing in my bag. This is interesting to think about.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

I have both insert and milled putters.... and I honestly have never even thought about my tempo changing to compensate for the difference.

My "old faithful" is an insert putter, but lately I've had success with a milled face so that's what residing in my bag. This is interesting to think about.

I thought it was interesting as well which is why I made the post.  My guess is that we have established a feel for distance and if the "new" putter doesn't roll the ball the same speed our tendency is to change speed instead of length.  

Archived