R11 and Burner Superfast 2.0

Matt Saternus

So our TM rep showed up today with a bag full of ghosted goodies: R11 driver, FW, and 2011 Rescue, and the Superfast 2.0 driver. Here's what I learned:

Overall comment: the white looks GOOD. Also, early testing indicates that it can take a beating. We were not the reps first stop and some of the earlier testers found their way onto the crown and hosel of the club without causing any paint to chip. Finally, FWIW, the lone female in our shop thought the white clubs looked great.

R11 Driver: stock shaft is the Fujikura Blur. Feels very soft in the non-TP version, the TP version feels pretty solid. The sole plate really does make a big difference in how the club sits. The sales pitch is that the FCT is all about changing loft now and the sole plate (ASP/AST?) changes face angle. You would be hard pressed to convince me, however, that you've done anything at all if you crank the FCT all the way shut (add loft/close the face) and then set the sole plate open. -2 + 2 = 0, at least in my world. My other thought was that the alignment aid is really heel-biased. Club felt very very good, but I can't comment on the numbers because the white toe made our Vector go loco.

R11 FW: WOW. Best feeling fairway I've EVER hit. Unbelievably solid. Easy to hit, the Blur shaft felt good. Nothing bad to say about this at all. The FW has both FCT and the adjustable sole plate.

2011 Rescue: No AST here, just FCT. Again, the alignment aid is towards the heel of the club, even more so than with the driver. The club felt good (better than the current version, less tinny), but the alignment aid was really troubling to me. Probably not headed for my bag unless A) it performs out of this world and/or :rolleyes: it's free.

Superfast 2.0: Same shaft options as the Superfast, Matrix 4.8 (?) in the standard, HD6 in the TP. Both feel pretty soft. Only hit the TP once or twice. Felt good, but I wasn't overwhelmed. I am definitely more the R guy as opposed to the Burner type.

If anyone has any questions about these, I will do my best to answer them if I can.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

So our TM rep showed up today with a bag full of ghosted goodies: R11 driver, FW, and 2011 Rescue, and the Superfast 2.0 driver. Here's what I learned:

Overall comment: the white looks GOOD. Also, early testing indicates that it can take a beating. We were not the reps first stop and some of the earlier testers found their way onto the crown and hosel of the club without causing any paint to chip. Finally, FWIW, the lone female in our shop thought the white clubs looked great.

R11 Driver: stock shaft is the Fujikura Blur. Feels very soft in the non-TP version, the TP version feels pretty solid. The sole plate really does make a big difference in how the club sits. The sales pitch is that the FCT is all about changing loft now and the sole plate (ASP/AST?) changes face angle. You would be hard pressed to convince me, however, that you've done anything at all if you crank the FCT all the way shut (add loft/close the face) and then set the sole plate open. -2 + 2 = 0, at least in my world. My other thought was that the alignment aid is really heel-biased. Club felt very very good, but I can't comment on the numbers because the white toe made our Vector go loco.

R11 FW: WOW. Best feeling fairway I've EVER hit. Unbelievably solid. Easy to hit, the Blur shaft felt good. Nothing bad to say about this at all. The FW has both FCT and the adjustable sole plate.

2011 Rescue: No AST here, just FCT. Again, the alignment aid is towards the heel of the club, even more so than with the driver. The club felt good (better than the current version, less tinny), but the alignment aid was really troubling to me. Probably not headed for my bag unless A) it performs out of this world and/or :rolleyes: it's free.

Superfast 2.0: Same shaft options as the Superfast, Matrix 4.8 (?) in the standard, HD6 in the TP. Both feel pretty soft. Only hit the TP once or twice. Felt good, but I wasn't overwhelmed. I am definitely more the R guy as opposed to the Burner type.

If anyone has any questions about these, I will do my best to answer them if I can.

I did end up getting my Dad that Burner Superfast driver for Christmas. No report yet from Texas on whether it has helped his banana ball drives or not. I'm guessing not, but hey, he wanted it and he's my Dad and the guy did contribute to my birth so I decided to treat him. :lol:

Callaway FT-9 Driver 10.5* Grafalloy Prolaunch Axis Blue

Callaway FT-9 Driver 9.0* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum

Cobra Baffler Rail F Fairway 15.5* Fujikura Motore

Wilson FYbrid 19* UST Proforce AXIV Core

Cobra Baffler Rail H Hybrid 22* Fujikura Motore

Ping I15 Irons 5-UW AWT

Ping Tour-W 56*,60* DG Spinner

Ping Redwood ZB Putter, WRX Starshot, 35"

I did end up getting my Dad that Burner Superfast driver for Christmas. No report yet from Texas on whether it has helped his banana ball drives or not. I'm guessing not, but hey, he wanted it and he's my Dad and the guy did contribute to my birth so I decided to treat him. :D

What he needs is the R11 cranked 4* shut. Won't fix the slice, but at least the ball will start way left. :rolleyes:

What about the length of the drivers? 2010 Burner superfast is way too long, 46.5inch, for the handicap golfer to control, please tell me the new one is shorter!!

The R11 is 45.75", the Superfast 2.0 is 46.5" and the TP version is 45.5". To my mind, those are all too long, but it's nothing a quick swipe with a saw can't fix.

I will say that I didn't notice any of them feeling outrageously long when I swung them, but that could be because they were all long and I haven't swung my driver (44.5") in a long time.

I have to say the white is rocking it for me but having the alignment aid, espcially on the rescues, so heel biased is not encouraging. I assume they do this because a lot of people hit it off the toe and want them to have a better chance of wacking the sweet spot. Doesn't help you to do it properly though. It certainly isn't going to help if you stiffen up the shaft either.

I'll give the R11 and SF 2.0 a go but I honestly don't think they'll kick the burner out of the bag now that it has a new shaft. Adjustments aren't my thing and I need more weight not less.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

MSaternus: When demoing these, did the TM rep bring in any of the MB/CB/MC irons for you to try out? I'm curious to see how they stack up in the forged irons world.

I laught at your claims to fight a zombie apocalypse when most of you can't stand up to a Spider

MSaternus: When demoing these, did the TM rep bring in any of the MB/CB/MC irons for you to try out? I'm curious to see how they stack up in the forged irons world.

I hit those in...October? I think I posted about it. In any case, my quick thoughts on those:

Cavity back: meh. Only the face is forged, doesn't feel very good at all.

Muscle Cavity: Winner! Feels great, easy to hit.

MB: Also felt very good, though too much club for me, at least in the long irons.

Speaking to the line as a whole, I really think that TM has a great idea with the weight pads - you can build for to any swing weight without throwing off the COG/sweet spot.

Since I last saw the irons, I heard that they're going to chrome out all of the models, not just the cavity back, to make the look consistent for blended sets. I would have preferred a satin look across the board, but I'll withhold judgment until I see them in person.

Archived