GolfSpy MPR

NPG Episode 32: You Down With DTC?

Direct to Consumer Golf Products  

51 members have voted

1. 1. What direct-to-consumer golf products have you already purchased?

• Driver/FW/hybrid
    • Irons/Wedges
    • Putter
    • Balls
    • Other/None
  2. 2. What's the biggest factor that would keep you from ordering DTC clubs?

• Lack of Tour presence
    • Unable to test them
    • Lack of trustworthy reviews
    • Concern about quality control
  3. 3. What club are you least likely to buy direct-to-consumer?

• Driver/FW/hybrid
    • Irons/Wedges
    • Putter
  4. 4. What's the biggest appeal of DTC clubs?

• Price/value
    • Better customer service/relationship
    • Not buying from the big OEMs

Our Sponsors

DTC is really another marketing term because there is always a middle man with extra costs...

if i culd walk into the Titleist ball manufacturing facility and buy some prov1's for $25, then we would have something

Just FWIW - some of these DTC companies offer demo clubs so you don't have to fully commit if you're not sure...

https://www.golfsub70.com/sub-70-golf-demo-clubs.html

https://benhogangolf.com/pages/ben-hogan-demo-program

They also truly understand the benefits of getting fit; some have an online process and this one also provides direct contact information to the CEO for any questions... any.

Our online fitting tool is a great resource for fitting information. However, if you need additional information or have questions please feel free to contact us directly. Every Sub 70 club is custom built when ordered and we truly want each golfer to get the best clubs possible. If you have additional fitting or equipment questions please contact our CEO, Jason Hiland, using the information below. Thank you!

Jason Hiland
Jason@GolfSub70.com
815-621-3556
@golfsub70

• Like 2

StrokerAce
:titelist-small:  TS3 PX EvenFlow T1100 White  
:cobra-small:  King F7 3/4w Fujikara 
:titelist-small:  816 H1 21 Diamana red 
:ping-small:  G410 4-U Project X LZ 6.0
:vokey-small:  SM6 54/58 
:odyssey-small:  Stroke Lab Black Ten S
:918457628_PrecisionPro: nx7 pro 
:1590477705_SunMountain:  C130
:Arccos: Caddie

Franklin, MA; Right Handed; 10
"the club face sends it, the path bends it..."

Just now, Middler said:

So I can get a fitting and shafts comparable to Club Champion or True Spec Golf from Sub 70?

You can get fit at either of those, call and give them all of your fitting specs and they can build your clubs to those specs.

These DTC companies sell goods....fitting is a service.

StrokerAce

18 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Outside of scotty cameron putters having very limited options in left handed clubs the vast majority of oems offer close to their entire line in lh. 

I understand the frustration but let say based on the reporting that of pxg costs to make a set of irons. It’s $8-10k for one mold of 1 head. So for a set of 8 molds that’s $64-80k. If they forged it 2x that’s another $64-80k for 1 iron line. They would need to sell a full set to nearly all of the left handed golfers in the world to break even.

Not all OEMs offer the full line, but most do offer a decent selection, but we are still limited to only OEM products, unless you count knock offs. Which is what many folks do when they have a limited budget. All of the knockoff clubs out there could be DTC clubs if they were offered, and judging by how many knock off companies are out there offering lefty stuff. I’d say it’s a fair amount of money changing hands.  I understand the expense of it. It’s just that us lefties get left out in the cold on a lot of good products. 

• Like 1

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

20 hours ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

from what I understand it is very expensive to make clubs - casting, molds, etc. - and that being the case an investment in left handed clubs has to realize a return to at least break even. For DTC companies this might take a while. Once they get established it is certainly possible but to be profitable they need to target the 87% of the market that is right handed. 

Don’t get me wrong, I understand the dollars and cents. As a Lefty though looking for a good set of clubs that offer great quality without the higher cost of OEM clubs is non existent unless we look into knockoffs or clones. I’d rather buy from a company like sub 70 instead for $550 instead of buying the Acer Cp2 for the same price.

• Like 1

So I can get a fitting and shafts comparable to Club Champion or True Spec Golf from Sub 70?
This all seems odd after years of repeatedly advocating professional fittings for almost every level of player.

Technically yes. You request demo clubs with different configurations and go hit them on a launch monitor or on the course to see what works. The OEMs also can ask questions to help guide the player into clubs that may work best. This is probably a better fitting than most players receive prior to buying clubs.

If the consumer is educated a self performed personal fitting is possible. And for those that complain about CC and true spec being done indoors, this is a good option

• Like 3

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:   :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  :odyssey-small: Ten S 

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

14 minutes ago, Middler said:

Too much like “showrooming” to me, but maybe the way of the world and I’m behind.

Not sure what you mean - you're not getting the fitting for free at Club Champion or TrueFit. 

If it was free and then you took the info that they gave you and went somewhere else I could see what you're getting at.... but you're paying for information and you're getting it.

• Like 2

StrokerAce

10 hours ago, Middler said:

I take it you didn't watch the NPG episode. Getting "fitted" for balls and fitted for clubs aren't comparable, apples and oranges. You don't like the DTC ball you buy, you're out $20-35 and you pick another. You don't like the DTC clubs you buy and you're out over a thousand for a Sub70 full bag for example. Trade-in values are awful, and even worse for non big name clubs.

Oh no, I did watch it and I agree. That's why I mentioned my experience with DiamondTour. You can call it knockoff, component, whatever. 

If you are located in the US and have access to Sub70 demo program, you minimize the risk of throwing out over 1K out of the window for something  you can't use. That's something we still don't have in Europe. I know now for a fact that my specs out of a static fitting don't match the numbers from a dynamic fitting. Taking fitting out of the equation, and for me DTC becomes just as viable as an OEM.

:callaway-small: GBB Epic 9* w/ Aldila Rogue MAX 65 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black S 80
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // ShotScope V1 // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

3 hours ago, Middler said:

Fair point. I don’t have first hand experience with TSG, but there’s no question in my mind CC is counting on selling clubs too, and relying on fittings alone at current prices wouldn’t be acceptable for them. Not a perfect analogy but if you stripped away all pcarts & service from car dealers and left them with new car sales only, they wouldn’t be able to survive.

I suppose that's possible, but if that many people are getting fittings at Club Champion and taking their specs elsewhere, then CC needs to change their pricing for fittings.

They also need to update their web site.  I'm not so sure I want to be fitted into a set of M3s anymore.

CLUB-HEADS.jpg

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Hybrid - Titleist 585 (17*) - Titleist 4175 ( R )
4i - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Forest Green)
Ball -  :Snell: MTB-X
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Are they ignoring lefties or realizing that the lefty population is a very small piece of the golf pie and the cost of offering lh versions doesn’t have the necessary roi?

I had a conversation with a OEM rep a couple days ago. I asked him why are LH options so poor because 13% of the population is LH. He said that their numbers are 3-4% of golfers are LH so that’s why us lefty’s are SOL.
Not sure if he’s right but I’m pretty sure they have more data than I do.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

13 hours ago, Rickp said:

I had a conversation with a OEM rep a couple days ago. I asked him why are LH options so poor because 13% of the population is LH. He said that their numbers are 3-4% of golfers are LH so that’s why us lefty’s are SOL.
Not sure if he’s right but I’m pretty sure they have more data than I do.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I think 13% is the number of Lh golfers. The 3% he speaks of is probably the amount of Lh golfers that they plan on for the business. Since not all LH golfers will purchase from them. 

5 minutes ago, Kor.A.Door said:

I think 13% is the number of Lh golfers. The 3% he speaks of is probably the amount of Lh golfers that they plan on for the business. Since not all LH golfers will purchase from them. 

I thought the total population was 13% which would make since if only 3% of them are golfers. Regardless it sux for you guys. My dad was left handed and played during 80's-90's when it was even tougher to find LH clubs. Sucked for me too because I couldn't use any of them. 

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 9.5* (Ventus Black 6X) 45"

:taylormade-small:             M5 15* (Ventus Black 7x) 43"

:callaway-small:                      Epic Flash Sub Zero 18* (Tensei AV Blue 70 X)

:srixon-small:                     Z585 4-5 (KBS C Taper S)

:srixon-small:                     Z785 6-AW (KBS C Taper S)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titelist-small:                      Vokey SM8 59 04 L   (KBS 610)

:bettinardi-1:                Studio Stock 28 Slotback 33.5"

:bridgestone-small:       Tour BX

:Arccos:

Twitter         @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

9 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I thought the total population was 13% which would make since if only 3% of them are golfers. Regardless it sux for you guys. My dad was left handed and played during 80's-90's when it was even tougher to find LH clubs. Sucked for me too because I couldn't use any of them. 

I grew up swinging RH clubs because that’s what we had in the house. There’s more companies now that provide Lh equipment so it’s not terrible, and we have a pretty good community of us that will sell and trade between us so we can get equipment at less cost than buying preowned from OEM or GG or someplace like that. 

• Like 2