ejgaudette

3D Printing Golf Clubs

Our Sponsors

I'll get excited when I see the first 3D printed forged iron 🙂.  I followed this technology over my career in aerospace and it is pretty cool.  It was extremely handy and beneficial for design prototypes.

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

11 hours ago, FrogginBullfish said:

Additive manufacturing is pretty cool stuff so I'm excited to see it really making its way into the golf industry.

I totally agree and am really interested to see how the switch with allow club design to change. How much weight can be saved and moved.

Cobra already put a carbon fiber top line on there irons just to save a few grams now this process should save even more weight for even more possibilities.

Cobra Golf Vector Logo - (.SVG   .PNG) - FindVectorLogo.Com Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9° Mitshubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff Flex

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300

:cleveland-small: CG16 56°/12 Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 60° 2 Dot Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:ping-small:  Karsten Series Anser Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

Right Handed

22 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Loved your not so subtle suggestion about Bryson wanting to run the machine...hilarious and spot on!

Amen! So good!

22 hours ago, GolfSpy Barbajo said:

Where they're at now is Parmatech is printing parts - the parts still need to be assembled and finished, so there's still a lot of handwork that needs to be done. They're a long way from squirting out a finished club, but they are working on getting closer. A lot will depend on what a golfer finds acceptable as a finished product. 

John, the one HUUUUUUUGE point you missed was how Robert will be buying clubs DAILY, not weekly, once this comes to fruition! Heck. I bet he convinces his employer to buy a $20 million printer for his office!!!! 😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha 2

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :honma:TR20 Tour P 4/5, Tour V 6-10, Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

14 hours ago, revkev said:

It's a remarkable concept but wouldn't the downside (from an OEM perspective) be that the player will hang on to those personalized clubs far longer than something he bought off the rack or even normally fitted?

Hi I''m Rob, we must not have been introduced yet 🙂

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

:callaway-logo-1:  MAVRIK Sub Zero 9.0 Adilia MSI 60S

:ping-small:  G410 FW 5, 7 Alta CB R flex 

:ping-small: G410 Hybrid 26 degree Alta CB R Flex

:callaway-logo-1: MAVRIK 5-A Nippon Modus 105 S 

:callaway-logo-1: MD5 Jaws 54.10 and 58.12 

:scotty-small:  Phantom 5.5   35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1X Play number 12

3D printing has a lot of prototyping potential for the manufacturers as well. I was talking to Markforged 2 years ago (metal and composite 3D printing company) and they said Wilson was an early adopter of their tech.

If you look at the quantum leap Wilson took at that time, you can see the value of rapid prototyping.

The unsung tech hero I think is going to be metal injection molding. Metal injection molding is being used by cobra on wedges, but with inserts, and multi material construction designs, I think this tech could make its way into mass production of high tech heads in the near term.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

This was a fascinating article to write, and my goodness the whole concept of clubs for lefties didn't even enter my mind! The real reason most companies have limited - to non-existent - left-handed options is because the number of left-handed golfers is so small. Making molds for lefties is just as expensive as making molds for righties, but the volume is so much lower. With 3D Metal Jet printing there are no molds, so in theory there's no added to cost to producing left-handed models of virtually anything. 

I’ve heard 11% to 13% are lefty, not a lot.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

On 6/22/2020 at 7:49 PM, fixyurdivot said:

I'll get excited when I see the first 3D printed forged iron 🙂.  I followed this technology over my career in aerospace and it is pretty cool.  It was extremely handy and beneficial for design prototypes.

This might be a dumb question, but how do you 3D print a "forged" iron? I'm not a tech savvy guy, so I don't understand how this stuff works...lol.

17 minutes ago, silver & black said:

This might be a dumb question, but how do you 3D print a "forged" iron? I'm not a tech savvy guy, so I don't understand how this stuff works...lol.

Not a dumb question at all, and the crux of my comment did not escape you 👏.  That's why I'll get real excited when the technology delivers that microstructure.  

• Like 2

Not a dumb question at all, and the crux of my comment did not escape you .  That's why I'll get real excited when the technology delivers that microstructure.  

I guess you aren’t interested in 3D printed golf clubs since you will never get 3D printed and forged; at least in my mind? Casting, milling, forging, and 3D printing are all processes. Milling is the only in that can be combined since it can be used as a cleanup process.

Note: This is a question to better understand, not challenge what you are saying.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

9 hours ago, cnosil said:

I guess you aren’t interested in 3D printed golf clubs since you will never get 3D printed and forged; at least in my mind? Casting, milling, forging, and 3D printing are all processes. Milling is the only in that can be combined since it can be used as a cleanup process.

Note: This is a question to better understand, not challenge what you are saying.

As the technology stands presently that's correct.  My original comment was more tongue in cheek.  Early in my career stereolithography was just emerging and we were fascinated watching a set or servo mirrors direct a laser across a vat of liquid goo and create things that weren't too much advanced of the old put a quarter in the slot and watch the machine spit you out a plastic, still warm to the touch, T-rex 🙂.  When I left the workforce in 2016, I was impressed with the quality of microstructure of the leading edge technologies in this field.  Cracking the nut to yield forged structure may not be too far off. 

Where I think this application will shine is niche custom clubs with logos or designs that personalize clubs.  

• Like 1

My understanding is that because both 3D printed steels (those printed as powder with a polymer binder) and injection molded steels are sintered from very fine and incredibly homogenous powder blends, when the binder is cooked off and the powder is sintered, the grain structure is as good and in some cases superior to forged. The sintering can also be done in an an inert gas environment which combined with the powder metallurgy is the gold standard for high end alloying and the grain control that goes with it, from what I understand about it anyway.

Cobra makes the claim that their MiM wedges are better than forged. Markforged did a case study showing the same.

Not sure how true that all is, I build websites for a living.

• Like 2

“He’s a Cinderella story. A former assistant groundskeeper about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac… It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole! It’s in the hole!” — Carl Spackler

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

As the technology stands presently that's correct.  My original comment was more tongue in cheek.  Early in my career stereolithography was just emerging and we were fascinated watching a set or servo mirrors direct a laser across a vat of liquid goo and create things that weren't too much advanced of the old put a quarter in the slot and watch the machine spit you out a plastic, still warm to the touch, T-rex 🙂.  When I left the workforce in 2016, I was impressed with the quality of microstructure of the leading edge technologies in this field.  Cracking the nut to yield forged structure may not be too far off. 

Where I think this application will shine is niche custom clubs with logos or designs that personalize clubs.  

Thanks!   My company does some part manufacturing and has been experimenting with 3D printing of those parts.   I am in IT so it isn't something I have any expertise in but I know that the printed parts can be very high quality.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG