Opinion Poll

AmishJason

I don't know how to generate a genuine poll, so some imagination will have to be used here.  But I have a simple opinion question open for everyone:

Does watching a golfing video such as a "How to Fix Your Slice" or "How to Stop Hitting Behind the Ball" nullify the ability of someone to claim being self taught?  

My answer would be NO because even though the person has been shown what to do, without an actual person watching and making further suggestions, it still rests on them to identify and implement all of elements of the video.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

I agree as to your question, watching video doesn't nullify a claim to be "self taught".  However, I'd recommend that a player NEVER try to diagnose his own faults, over 99% of us don't have the skills to identify the underlying problem, and without that, you'll never get the most effective cure for a swing issue.

Most self-taught golfers have a hideously incompetent instructor.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I played golf for close to 40 years before I had an actual lesson. As a kid I learned by reading Jack Nicklaus lessons in Golf magazine and Ben Hogan’s Five Fundamentals. I agree with Dave that self diagnosis can be tough if you don’t really understand the root cause of your problems or if you don’t really understand your swing.

My lessons were a process to make what I built more sustainable as I get older so we shortened my swing a bit and started getting a little more lower body in it. My lessons these days are more of a tune up than really changing anything.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway:  :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* HZRDUS Yellow 76 TX

Fairway:  :taylormade-small: Sim 19* RDX Smoke Red 75 TX

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim2 Rescue 22* Matrix Black Tie 85x

Irons:  :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

Archived