Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Puma Summer Collection – REVIEW

GolfSpy Dave

• SPY VIP

Puma Summer Collection – REVIEW

An Official MyGolfSpy.com Review

http://www.puma.com/golf

Are you like me in equating Puma Golf with Ricky Fowler?

Like it or not, Ricky Fowler and Puma Golfhave definitely changed the range of style on the golf course. Now golf has always featured bold designs and borderline fashion catastrophes that would not fly at all off of the course. Think Payne Stewart's outfits here. While quite bold, and out of the norm for the period, Payne's bold style of dress was welcomed and accepted as a bit of homage to golf styles of old. Still, you are probably not rocking those knickers to the grocery store.

The Puma style is definitely not retro. We are dealing with a golf line that is constructed of very modern fabrics and a bold, almost in-your-face style that makes no nods to the past but rather forcefully drives into the future. Fowler's mono-orange and monoline cap style calls not to Old Tom, but to the new generations of players who desire to make a statement with their apparel as well as their game.

So the styles are bold, and the materials high tech, but are they good for golf. Not the metaphysical “good of the game” good for golf, but rather good wear while playing golf.

Those of you that follow my twitter feed know that a box of Puma gear showed up on my doorstep at the beginning of August.

puma.jpg

That box contained gear from the Puma Summer 2011 Collection. Enclosed were:

• Duo-Swing Graphic Polo

IMG_2060.jpg

• TRANSDry Novelty Polo

IMG_2068.jpg

• Shorts featuring the Moisture Control fabric

IMG_2075.jpg

• Carve Belt

IMG_2086.jpg

• Cell Fusion Wide Shoes

IMG_1923.jpg

STYLE

Polos

OK so the graphics on the polos are nutty. The Duo-Swing style is a bit of a miss for me, as I tend to avoid shirts that run some horizontal stripes across my Molson muscle.

IMG_2061.jpg

I do like that the back is a solid color though so people won't see the wild pattern until they see the front. Not sure why I like that. Maybe for the element of surprise. :ph34r:

IMG_2063.jpg

The TRANSDry polo seemed just a wild to me initially, but after trying it on, I came to appreciate the diagonal pattern more. I think that it works better not tucked in though.

IMG_2069.jpg

IMG_2070.jpg

Shorts

The shorts, although white as white can be, are actually much more traditional in style. The inseam may be longer than some other shorts, more Bermuda in length, but we are not talking clam diggers here. Overall they are very muted, with the embroidered Puma cat even colored to blend in.

IMG_2076.jpg

IMG_2078.jpg

Belt

So when I pulled this out of the box my first thought was to hold it over my head like I had just won the heavyweight title. I'm sayin' that the belt is wide, and the buckle is big. Size aside though, the texture and color of the belt is very cool. It has a weathered look, with cracks covering the entire thing including the loop. The buckle is a cool cut out design that definitely has some heft to it. This is not a wallflower belt. It demands that others pay attention to the middle of your body!

IMG_2085.jpg

IMG_2084.jpg

Shoes

The shoes get back to the more stealthy side of Puma style. If I just list the colors, white, silver, and purple, you may expect to see something very bold and brash. However, I think that these shoes still come in more on the subdued side. The lining is purple, and not visible when worn. The bulk of the shoe is white with the stripes silver. I feel that overall they look modern, but retain a measure of class.

IMG_1907.jpg

IMG_1908.jpg

IMG_1910.jpg

I do think that when addressing style though that the boldness of the Puma look and the implications of it cannot be cast aside. I don't believe that it is a stretch to say that the styles of Puma golf reflect a desire to attract the younger golfer. These examples are definitely so bold as to make a more conservative golfer bypasses them right away. Being that I am reviewing these specific items, I will have to knock off a few points for the narrow appeal of some of the patterns, but would suggest that even the most conservative dresser check out the Puma site to see the other shirts that are available. Lots of other polos that feature the bold colors of Puma without the patters that one could find objectionable.

STYLE SCORE: 18/20

FIT AND CONSTRUCTION

Polos

Both of the polo styles have what I would call an athletic fit. I typically wear a large and they are true to size. They both have plenty of length for tucking in or wearing out. The cut is not tight or form fitting, but it is not a wide billowing shirt either. The sleeves hit me about mid-upper arm. The two fabrics definitely have a different feel against the skin. The Duo-Swing has a silky, light feel while the TRANSDry feels more like more traditional cotton.

IMG_2066.jpg

IMG_2073.jpg

Shorts

The material is very lightweight and felt a bit strange initially as I am used to wearing heavier cotton shorts. They almost felt like I was just wearing boxers. Very lightweight. I thought that the waist and length fit were excellent, but the seat fits a bit snug. There is definitely some tension there when squatting down to line up a putt. I don't think that I am unusually gifted in the backside area, so they may just run a bit on the small side there. I would probably explore a size above normal in the next pair.

The shorts also feature a cool rubbery ring around the inside of the waist that truly secures a tucked shirt in place. The also sport double belt loops so you can wear either a traditional width belt, or the wider styles.

IMG_2079.jpg

IMG_2080.jpg

Belt

The belt is big, the belt is heavy, and it is definitely well made. Quality leather and metal construction. Although the belt looks like the outer layer will peel off at any moment, it doesn't. The roughness (and width) does make it a bit more challenging than a traditional belt to thread through the loops, but it doesn't flake of when you are doing so. I do think that the size of the buckle may be an issue for some with a bit of a belly. There are times when the buckle noticeably contacted my belly, but nothing too serious. I would voice some cautions to those sporting a serious spare tire though.

IMG_2087.jpg

IMG_2091.jpg

Shoes

These shoes are fantastically comfortable. Broke them in on one range session and they have been my go to pair ever since. Great support for the foot. Soft and firm where it should be. A spike pattern that I can't hope to comprehend the engineering behind. As someone with a wide foot, I truly appreciate the fit. Plenty of lateral space while still fitting at the toe. This is a great fitting shoe.

IMG_1919.jpg

IMG_1917.jpg

FIT AND CONSTRUCTION SCORE: 18/20

PERFORMANCE

Polos

Both shirts performed admirably while playing, but there are definitely some differences in the fabrics. I took both models out to the range and to the course on some hot days. Under those conditions, I prefer the Pure™ fabric of the Duo-Swing to the TransDRY™ fabric. The TransDRY™ did pull the sweat away from my body, but also really seemed to breathe less and ultimately retained more moisture during the round. It was about 104° when I played in the Pure™ shirt and I don't ever remember feeling like the shirt was wet or that the sweat was building up. Super comfortable. It could be the fabric, or it could be that the material is perforated all over and just breathes better. Regardless, I definitely liked that one more.

IMG_2062.jpg

IMG_2072.jpg

Shorts

It was disappointing that the fit was tight on these because I really think that the fabric is the way to go on the course. The shorts breathe way more than my traditional cotton ones. Great for walking that hot round. Just not so great when your buddy says “Dude, those shorts are a little tight.” :unsure:

Belt

The belt did a great job in its belting duties. Probably a bit big and heavy for hot summer use and it did make itself known occasionally as I bent to get things, but overall it did its job.

IMG_2089.jpg

Shoes

Again, I don't really comprehend all that is going on with the spikes on these, but whatever is going on down there works. They are super comfortable to play in. I was even jogging in them last Friday as we were racing to finish before the sun went down. There are a bunch of shoes out there to choose from, but you want to take a look at these Pumas. They hold the ground, they support the foot, and they are comfortable.

IMG_1924.jpg

IMG_1915.jpg

One other benefit of the spike system is that they seem to pick up less debris than other shoes I have worn. This is based upon feeling, and not scientific study, but they just don't track course material back to the car like some others do.

IMG_1912.jpg

IMG_1914.jpg

Overall, I was very pleased with the performance of the Puma gear with the exceptions of the seat of the shorts and perhaps the weight of the belt. The shoes are just fantastic.

PERFORMANCE SCORE: 37/40

VALUE

Pricing seems competitive with other golf apparel and shoes and the materials used and construction should promote at least a full season of use.

My only caution with regards to longevity comes with the washing of the clothes. These are cold water wash and either tumble low, or line dry garmets. I don't know what could happen, maybe melting; maybe shrinking, but a trip through a hot dryer may ruin these. Read those tags. Nice clothes need some TLC to stay nice.

VALUE SCORE: 20/20

OVERALL SCORE: 93/100

SUMMARY

Puma golf apparel definitely makes a bold fashion statement on the course, but it is also great gear to play golf in. You may want to emulate Ricky when you play, and the Puma offerings will let you do that, but you can also find styles that suit a more conservative palate. If nothing else, you really want to give the Cell Fusions a look. I can't sing the praises enough for these shoes.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

we need to see a picture of you fully decked out in the full Ricky Fowler style!

+1.

Not sure about the shirts, though we have some Puma shirts I really like at the shop. The shoes look cool, good to know that they work well, too.

I'm just surprised they didn't include a big orange flat brimmed hat in your shipment.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• SPY VIP

I'm just surprised they didn't include a big orange flat brimmed hat in your shipment.

I warned them ahead of time that my dome was planetary in scale :rolleyes:

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

I picked up some PUMA gear (shorts, and a couple of shirts) from Fairway Styles (shameless free plug for a great shop with outstanding customer service) earlier this summer. The shirts are lightweight and comfortable as are the shorts. By style is improving, even if my game isn't.

Had a pair of PUMA shoes not too long ago...they were great for riding or walking relatively flat courses. Anything with a bit of elevation and the dug into my heels something fierce. Hopefully the new styles have improved in that regard.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

• SPY VIP

I love the Puma gear - I think it shows a lot of confidence when you play in this stuff - definitly need the game to back it up though

This thought was SO in my head as I wore it to the course the first time.

False concern though. No heckling was heard. :)

I am kind of a big scary bald dude though B)

Wear what you like, to hell with the haters...

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

agreed... it does seem like to wear loud stuff you need to back it up - but I'm a loud dude... so I tend to play terrible, but wear loud things so I don't have to use my voice.

loving the volume of the puma gear ;-)

I find that loud clothing distracts others from my horrible game.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

MAY BE TERRIFIC IF YOU ARE 25 YEARS OLD, WITH NO TASTE AND AN UNLIMITED BUDGET TO SPEND ON CRAP YOU'LL WEAR ONCE, BUT THE REAL WORLD OVER 30 GOLFERS WOULD NOT BE CAUGHT ON A DARK NIGHT WEARING THIS CONGLOMERATION OF GARBAGE.

YOU CAN BE BRIGHT AND COLORFUL WITHOUT LOOKING LIKE A CLOWN. I.E. JIMMY DEMARET OF THE OLD DAYS AND A COUPLE OF GOLFERS ON TODAY'S CIRCUIT--IAN POULTER AS AN EXAMPLE.

• SPY VIP

MAY BE TERRIFIC IF YOU ARE 25 YEARS OLD, WITH NO TASTE AND AN UNLIMITED BUDGET TO SPEND ON CRAP YOU'LL WEAR ONCE, BUT THE REAL WORLD OVER 30 GOLFERS WOULD NOT BE CAUGHT ON A DARK NIGHT WEARING THIS CONGLOMERATION OF GARBAGE.

YOU CAN BE BRIGHT AND COLORFUL WITHOUT LOOKING LIKE A CLOWN. I.E. JIMMY DEMARET OF THE OLD DAYS AND A COUPLE OF GOLFERS ON TODAY'S CIRCUIT--IAN POULTER AS AN EXAMPLE.

While I agree that the colors and patterns are not everyone's cup of tea, I would point out a few things.

1. 25 year olds may prefer a bold style and Puma is savvy enough to market clothing to this demographic. However, if you look at the Puma site, you will also see more conservative colors and designs that will appeal to the older golfers as well. FWIW, I am 42...

2. The fabrics and materials used in these garments, and especially the shoes are not cheap, and definitely not garbage. From a pure playing point of view, the fabric in the blue and white patterned polo was amazingly comfortable on a very hot round last week. This is gear that is designed to play golf in.

I too like the style of Poulter, though many would say that his bright pink pants cross the line of acceptable golf apparel as well.

Volvo Intorqueo

• SPY VIP

While I agree that the colors and patterns are not everyone's cup of tea, I would point out a few things.

1. 25 year olds may prefer a bold style and Puma is savvy enough to market clothing to this demographic. However, if you look at the Puma site, you will also see more conservative colors and designs that will appeal to the older golfers as well. FWIW, I am 42...

2. The fabrics and materials used in these garments, and especially the shoes are not cheap, and definitely not garbage. From a pure playing point of view, the fabric in the blue and white patterned polo was amazingly comfortable on a very hot round last week. This is gear that is designed to play golf in.

I too like the style of Poulter, though many would say that his bright pink pants cross the line of acceptable golf apparel as well.

2nd this.

I'm 38 and have PUMA Polos in purple and pink. I also have the gray/purple plaid shorts as well. It's extremely comfortable and lightweight.

Pink polos for the win!!! I have 2 myself!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

WHY SUCH A HARDLINED OPINION REGARDING FASHION TRENDS? I ALWAYS THOUGHT IAN POULTER DRESSES LIKE A GRANDMA, BUT IN A COOL GOING TO CHURCH IN THE 1970S WAY. THEN AGAIN THAT'S JUST AN OPINION THAT IS WORTH VERY LITTLE, SO I TRY NOT TO TALK MUCH. I'D ALSO HATE TO SEE IP CHANGE HIS WAYS. PERSONALITY IS WAY MORE FUN THAN THE ALTERNATIVE.

I like that Puma stuff has a variety of options. Fashion cycles are always a curious trend. Lovely shade of pinks on IP, but I'd take Puma any day over the IP collection.... :D

Ian Poulter1092.JPG

image-1-for-outrageous-golf-outfits-gallery-494008109.jpg

ian-poulter_1583748c.jpg

I spy with my little eye something...

I like the shoes!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

Love everything but the shirts... Actually, I would like the blue if it was just the pattern on the top and the solid back, but like you said... stripes are just not for me...

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

Archived