Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Niagara Courses

Hi All,

For those looking to travel to Niagara region (I'll keep this to the Canadian side although I play both US and Canadian side) thought I would keep reviews on these courses as I play them.  I'll try and keep this updated each time I play a new course. 

If anyone is looking for some more information on them, just ask and I will answer as best I can.

Chiller Cart Bag

:taylormade-small: Stealth Plus 9° - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 X-Stiff

:taylormade-small: Sim Max Rocket 3wd 14° - HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 X-Stiff

:taylormade-small: Sim2 Max Rescue 4H 22° - Ventus Blue 7S

:cobra-small: King Forged Tec 2020 - 5 thru PW - Dynamic Gold S400

:cleveland-small: CBX 2 54° Wedge

:cleveland-small: Smart Sole 3 Sand Wedge 58°

Bat Attack Battle Ready Putter 34"

:Arccos: Tracking

So for my first update, I'll start with one I really enjoy playing as a regular course.

Whirlpool Golf Course in Niagara Falls.  This is a Par 72, 18 hole course.  6701 yds from the Blue Tees.

Played this past weekend.  It is a beautiful course with lush green fairways (most of the season).  For the difficulty of the course, I think the fairways are quite forgiving and offer the ability to have slightly wayward shots be found quite easily even if in the trees. 

I find the course to be a good mix of quiet holes surrounded by trees, to some that open up near the road.  As well there is a path near the outer edges that tourists walk quite often, so you can end up with a small gallery watching you tee off on the par 3 14th hole over a pond.

Not an overly hilly course, but some nice additions of a high tee box and a few high greens.

Usually this course is exceptionally maintained, but I did find this year that a few of the greens just weren't top level.  Although due to lockdown restrictions, they may not have been able to tend to them like normal.

I do think that this is one of the best value for the level of course in the area.  Although they have raised their prices since everyone is out playing golf this year and last year.

We typically play late afternoon on this course, so we often have to wait for deer to cross before hitting.  It adds nicely to the enjoyment of the outing.

Overall though I do recommend this course if you are coming to the area though.

IMG_6623.jpg.0cfea2ef61b604b5c905f6e31ed72c6c.jpg

Starting off the back 9

IMG_6620.jpg.7c5e90db15f984fb176bcdaf718181ae.jpg

IMG_6625.jpg.5a347213f45aeb1552f1cee2f5175eae.jpg

Only one walking that day.

IMG_4815.JPG.061753d9937f3ed8f58c07b10d529b71.JPG

The wildlife seems to pretty used to the golfers, so you can get pretty close.

IMG_6626.jpg.c7c2ede9378cd9f12066ecff7a5230df.jpg

Finishing off the round on the 18th hole.

IMG_5413.jpg.5a761384ea2935c5cb828f34ebfd7d42.jpg

This picture is from another day, but it is the view if you cross the road from hole 18.  Or if you have a really, really bad hook, it's where your ball ends up.

Edited by Keeper905

Chiller Cart Bag

On to the next course......

I played Royal Niagara Golf course yesterday.  This is located in Niagara-On-The-Lake, Ontario.

This is a 27 hole course, so I enjoy the ability to go back regularly and mix up the course a bit.  Makes you feel like you've gone somewhere different, but still has the familiarity to it.

I played Escarpment and Old Canal courses.  So this would make it a Par 72 course with 6,515 yds from the Blue Tees.

Years ago I found this course to be one of the best value courses around.  It was inexpensive to play, but still a pretty good course with nice fairways, but wheat grass style long rough all around.  This makes it easy to lose your ball even when slightly off the fairway and you are lucky enough to find the patches of these long roughs.

I enjoy that the course management that is offered here.  It isn't just grip it and rip it from the tee.  Playing this weekend, the back nine took until hole 13 before I could pull out my driver (Hole 10 = Par 4, Hole 11 = Par 5, Hole 12 = Par 4).

The course has the Bruce Trail hiking path that goes through and beside the course (although hidden in trees mostly, so not really an issue) so there is the possibility to see hikers/joggers while playing.  Yesterday on hole 12 we had a group stop to take our picture while were putting.  Makes you feel like you are on Tour, lol.

I will say that in recent years I feel that the maintanence of the course has gone down.  The greens are kept in great shape, so that's good they focus there.  The fairways are good, but not lush and kept up perfectly, but OK.  The paths and tee boxes thought are getting rough and out of shape.  Courses get older and I get it, but it was hard to swallow this year that they increased Prime time tee times by 50% but course conditions go down.  But I should point out that it's still a value course price at $60 Weekend Prime time.  So I must say for the price you pay, it still is a good value.

What's really nice too (especially for travelers) is that across the street is the Outlet Mall.  So you can drop the kids/wife (unless they are golfers) at the mall and go play golf!

IMG_6641.jpg.4a287c4a843a85b9e14e853ed729f94e.jpg

First hole (On Escarpment course) is wide open and has the old farmhouse behind the green.

IMG_6643.jpg.0553b44e27e4286f1c5b607d6fc5fbbf.jpg

It's an open course, trees typically along outer edge of the course, so not a lot of shade when waiting at tees (and can get pretty windy).

IMG_6645.jpg.508a1c00d92af975de31faf6cd61cfd9.jpg

Lots of geese mulling around, but they usually aren't too bad and move for you.  It's just the little gifts they leave all over the place that are bothersome.

IMG_6646.jpg.06413cc089ec2bf10e26da3e5bf7c967.jpg

Here you see that trees don't really come into play too much.

IMG_6642.jpg.481431eafee0dd5b22f859ea7f24621f.jpg

Trees in the background hide the Bruce Trail.  Behind this green is a hole for the 3rd course named Iron Bridge, of which you can see the top of the iron bridge which crosses part of the old Welland Canal.

IMG_6647.jpg.289670fece62ede48ab17b1af4338c45.jpg

Coming down the home stretch you see part of the Niagara Escarpment in the background. 

Chiller Cart Bag

Thanks for those - tend to play legends on the Niagara, the two main courses are both top notch and usually reasonably priced, or Bridgewater.

Have not been out yet, how are they this year?

WITB - Ping G400 LST - HZRZ 6.0

3W - Ping G400 - Ping Tour 75

3h - Ping G410 - Evenflow 6.0

4,5 irons - Ping i500

6-PW - Ping iBlade

52,56 & 60 - Ping Glide Forged

Putter(s) - a few