Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Austin, TX Area Suggestions

NuclearPW

Howdy howdy,

We're heading down to the Austin area next week for our annual Cali vs Texas golf trip. We're getting out there a day before competition and looking to play a course in the area. For competition we're playing Jimmy Clay, Grey Rock, and Falconhead. I've looked into ShadowGlen and have played Delaware Springs so I was considering replaying that as well. 

If you have any gems around there please drop the knowledge! We'll be staying in the Lost Pines area and have already written off Wolfdancer since they punched the greens early June.

:taylormade-small: M6 D Type 10.5°

:taylormade-small: SIM 5W 18°

:taylormade-small: SIM 3H 19°

:taylormade-small: M4 Irons 4-PW

:titleist-small: Vokey SM6 52/56/60°

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach Soft Premier 4

• 1 year later...

Headed down to Austin, TX for my bachelor party later this month and I am looking for golf course suggestions. Preferably not a course that will break the bank - going to be an expensive weekend as it is. Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Current WITB:

Bag: image_2024-02-27_104948566.png.b92168231016d467eb3d016dba2075b9.png MV2 Golf Bag

Driver:  image.png G425  Max 9.0º, Graphite Design Tour AD VR-6S

Fairway: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR2 3 wood 15º, Ventus Red 7S, image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR1 5 wood 18º, Mitsubishi Tensei AV RAW Blue 65S

Driving Iron: image.png G425 Crossover 2-iron 18º, Aldila Rogue 95TS Graphite 

Irons: image.png.b5950bd367d637859d211fef578a14af.png MP-54 (4-P), Project X 6.0S

Wedges: TM23WDG-MG4-Stacked-Color-OnLight-v1-1024x410.png.ac724a75349db558663486b0cf600638.png 50.09 SB, 54.11 SB, 58.11 SB

Putter: image.png.2a889a80c6a733b582bbac9dbc3cecf2.png California Del Mar, 34.5 Sweet Rollz "Safari" Midsize Grip

Ball: image.png.52cb58764bddc9c00ba3060db6a87cc7.png Tour B XS

• 1 month later...

Bumping this one up as I have an upcoming trip to Austin. Im already playing Lost Pines and have time for one more round - what’s the “cant miss” course? I wanted to play Barton Creek but they wont allow non-guests to play. Thanks!

What type of course are you looking to play?  I live in the Austin area and there are so many courses.

@alaaro

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Star Ranch - Great course and always in good shape.  https://www.starranchgolf.com/

Grey Rock - They just reopened the course and have not played it yet to confirm condition but it was always in pretty good shape.  - https://www.greyrockgolfandtennis.com/golf/

Falconhead - Haven't played lately but some of the FB groups I'm in have said its been pretty good.  More in the hills and elevation changes. - https://www.falconheadaustin.com/

Teravista GC -  This course is going to play a little more open.  Has a handful of holes that are shot makers and more narrow.  Can be slow depending on what day/time you play.  -  https://www.teravistagolf.com

Jimmy Clay - City owned course.  It is a great track but can be hard to get onto.  Typically pretty busy.  I think you can get advanced tee times a week ahead of time. - https://www.austintexas.gov/department/jimmy-clay-course

Plum Creek GC -  This course is pretty forgiving and I played it less than a month ago and it was in good shape.  Texas State University made it their home course so they dumped a bunch of money into it.  Pretty wide open.  Has a few holes that will test your skills for sure depending on what tee box you play from.  - https://www.plumcreekgolf.com/

You are already playing Wolfdancer at Lost Pines, it's a great course.  There are so many courses around and I have given out courses just about every part of town.  I would love to say Avery Ranch as well but I have heard that it isn't in as good of shape as some of these others, but it used to be one of my favorites around town.  

Happy to throw more out there if none of these fit the bill.

Oh and if you want to be in the middle of downtown and play a little quick par 3 course, Butler Pitch and Putt is a ton of fun.  - https://butlerpitchandputt.com/

Thanks JD!

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

That's a solid list of pretty good courses. There are a ton more all around.  One more if you really want a challenge and in the hills, Crystal Falls in Leander is fun. They have the par 3 11th that is 190 from back tees but you can hit PW or Driver to depending on wind. You are at the top of the hill hitting to the base below. 

• 1 month later...

@Josh Parker circling back on this. I only was able to get one round in and unfortunately got in late so options were limited. But I did get out to Grey Rock and I liked it a lot. Nice layout overall, some spotty conditions here and there, but overall in good shape. Definitely not a walking course - some holes very spread out - and we had a walker paired with us that really slowed things down. We hit tee shots then were waiting a bit for him to get to the hole then hit! But I enjoyed it.

Lost Pines was amazing. Big fan and would love to play it again. 

Appreciate the rec. Will try to check out the others next time Im in town. 

26 minutes ago, alaaro said:

@Josh Parker circling back on this. I only was able to get one round in and unfortunately got in late so options were limited. But I did get out to Grey Rock and I liked it a lot. Nice layout overall, some spotty conditions here and there, but overall in good shape. Definitely not a walking course - some holes very spread out - and we had a walker paired with us that really slowed things down. We hit tee shots then were waiting a bit for him to get to the hole then hit! But I enjoyed it.

Lost Pines was amazing. Big fan and would love to play it again. 

Appreciate the rec. Will try to check out the others next time Im in town. 

Glad you had a good time!  Some of the courses around here are tough to walk. Mine is for sure.