Kirkland V3 or Vice Pro (Sam’s Club deal)

Hi all,

This year I’ve been playing the Vice Pro and Srixon Z Star. I’m running low on the Z Stars and started looking around for some good deals. You can by 2 dozen Vice Pros at Sams Club for $50 which is very tempting as that’s a ball I really like. I am curious about the new Ksig V3 now that it is supposed to be less spinny. 

I have a pretty high swing speed right around 115mph. With the Vice and Srixon I found that I can go a whole round with my driving average over 300 yards if I’m swing it well. Will I sacrifice that distance if I go with the KSig V3 or is it a better ball now?

Tester Opportunities

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

The Bag

Driver - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym Ai Smoke MAX Driver with Project X Denali - 6.5

3W - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym 15° with Kai'li™ White - X

3H - :PXG: Gen5 0311 19° with Ventus Blue Velocore - X

Driving Iron - image.png.e20decc564f669047d8ef7d2dbd4734d.png 699 Pro 20° with UST PROFORCE V2 Hybrid White/Yellow - X

Irons - :Sub70: 6-PW 699 Pro in black with Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges - :ping-small: S159 50, 54, 58 Dynamic Gold X100 (TESTER)

Putter - :cobra-small:KING 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter , 🦓 Zebra AIT 3 (On time out)

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV or :vice: Pro Plus

Tester for 

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

19 minutes ago, aguybadatgolf said:

Hi all,

This year I’ve been playing the Vice Pro and Srixon Z Star. I’m running low on the Z Stars and started looking around for some good deals. You can by 2 dozen Vice Pros at Sams Club for $50 which is very tempting as that’s a ball I really like. I am curious about the new Ksig V3 now that it is supposed to be less spinny. 

I have a pretty high swing speed right around 115mph. With the Vice and Srixon I found that I can go a whole round with my driving average over 300 yards if I’m swing it well. Will I sacrifice that distance if I go with the KSig V3 or is it a better ball now?

I'd wait to make any decisions about the KSig v3 until the ball test report comes out. I think it's supposed to come out this week, but I'd bet the KSig will still be spinny. Every version has been, so no reason not to think this one will be too. But the ball test should help answer that question.

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/66852-unofficial-review-tpi-virtual-assessment
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!

5 hours ago, aguybadatgolf said:

Z-Star and Vice Pro are both pretty low-spin balls. With the exception of something like a Chrome Soft, Tour Speed, or Tour Response, pretty much anything else is going to be more spin. I haven't seen the data on the V3 yet (still hoping the Ball Test results drop this week!) but I would bet just about any amount of money that you'll lose some driver distance with the V3 compared to the two gamers you've got.

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review

1 hour ago, GregGarner said:

Z-Star and Vice Pro are both pretty low-spin balls. With the exception of something like a Chrome Soft, Tour Speed, or Tour Response, pretty much anything else is going to be more spin. I haven't seen the data on the V3 yet (still hoping the Ball Test results drop this week!) but I would bet just about any amount of money that you'll lose some driver distance with the V3 compared to the two gamers you've got.

Thanks for the feedback! I definitely lean towards low spin after doing some testing on a simulator. I wish I could play the Kirkland just because it’s so cheap but I’m not willing to lose yardage as it’s the best part of my game. 

Tester Opportunities

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

The Bag

Driver - :callaway-logo-1: Paradym Ai Smoke MAX Driver with Project X Denali - 6.5

Driving Iron - image.png.e20decc564f669047d8ef7d2dbd4734d.png 699 Pro 20° with UST PROFORCE V2 Hybrid White/Yellow - X

Putter - :cobra-small:KING 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter , 🦓 Zebra AIT 3 (On time out)

Tester for 

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

Keep in mind that the Sam’s Vice double dozen is the 1st gen Vice Pro (just know that it is the same ball that was tested in the 2019 MGS ball test, subsequent tests were a different ball). The current gen Vice Pro (2020) has the newer Foremost cover formulation that is noticeably more durable.

Driver:  Titleist TS2 9.5

Fairway:  Tour Edge CB4 Tour 16.5 

Irons:  Titleist 690.CB 3-PW

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey SM5 50, 56

Putter:  Odyssey Works Versa 1W

Ball:  Vice Pro Plus

2 hours ago, storm319 said:

Keep in mind that the Sam’s Vice double dozen is the 1st gen Vice Pro (just know that it is the same ball that was tested in the 2019 MGS ball test, subsequent tests were a different ball). The current gen Vice Pro (2020) has the newer Foremost cover formulation that is noticeably more durable.

That’s really good to know. Thanks!

Tester Opportunities

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

The Bag

Tester for 

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

I have played the 2020 versions of both the Vice Pro and Vice Pro Plus. I like them both, and still have the 2020 Vice pro balls in my bag (I only have one of the Pro Plus balls left from the “sampler pack” that I bought from Vice Golf, and it has a small blemish on it, so I took it out of play).

My clubhead speed is a bit lower than yours (about 100 MPH or just a bit higher with the driver), and I found that I hit the Pro Plus a bit longer and higher than I do the Pro, but not by a significant amount.

About 10 days ago, I had the opportunity to hit the latest generation K-Sig ball, thanks to a golfing buddy and teammate on one of the golf teams that I captain. I found the K-Sig to be quite a bit spinnier than the Vice Pro. It was OK for approach shots to rock hard greens, although about 1/2 club shorter than the Vice Pro on a consistent basis. Otherwise, there was really nothing about the K-Sig that I preferred over either the Vice Pro or the Pro Plus. One consistent disadvantage of the K-Sig for me was that it exaggerated my misses with excessive side spin, to the point where I had several misses left of fairways and greens where I expected to be just off the greens or on the fringe.

Edited by funkyjudge

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max, Newton Motion 4-Dot shaft

4W - Titleist TSR2, Newton Motion 4-Dot FW shaft

HYB - Sub 70 949X 21*, original HZRDUS Black 85-S shaft

7W (if played) - Titleist TSR, ACCRA TZ6 7S

Irons - Cobra King Forged Tec X, KBS TGI graphite shafts

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 47* (bent to 48*), 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100 Tour S

Putter - Evnroll ER10 ""Outback” Mallet

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023) or Vice Pro Plus

Bags - Vessel / Ghost stand bags

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

Lots of short game practice has made this a strength; now the driver is causing problems!

22 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

I have played the 2020 versions of both the Vice Pro and Vice Pro Plus. I like them both, and still have the 2020 Vice pro balls in my bag (I only have one of the Pro Plus balls left from the “sampler pack” that I bought from Vice Golf, and it has a small blemish on it, so I took it out of play).

My clubhead speed is a bit lower than yours (about 100 MPH or just a bit higher with the driver), and I found that I hit the Pro Plus a bit longer and higher than I do the Pro, but not by a significant amount.

About 10 days ago, I had the opportunity to hit the latest generation K-Sig ball, thanks to a golfing buddy and teammate on one of the golf teams that I captain. I found the K-Sig to be quite a bit spinnier than the Vice Pro. It was OK for approach shots to rock hard greens, although about 1/2 club shorter than the Vice Pro on a consistent basis. Otherwise, there was really nothing about the K-Sig that I preferred over either the Vice Pro or the Pro Plus. One consistent disadvantage of the K-Sig for me was that it exaggerated my misses with excessive side spin, to the point where I had several misses left of fairways and greens where I expected to be just off the greens or on the fringe.

That’s exactly what I was afraid of. I can live with a few yards less distance but if it exaggerates my misses that’s a big problem for me. 

Tester Opportunities

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter

The Bag

Tester for 

2024 Ping S159 Wedges

2023 Zebra AIT3 Putter