What Golf Ball Are You Playing In 2024?

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... While I agree that money has no value unless you spend it and as much as I love the '24 TP5x I find it annoying that Callaway offers limited designs for the same price as their white and yellow balls. Taylor Made's money grab tacking on $5 for their limited balls over the cost of white, yellow and even PIX balls is a tough pill to swallow. 🤑

Totally fair -- the Stripe only added $2, but the specials are $5. I scrounge a couple dollars back each time because of their rewards, but doesn't make up the difference. But, the Callaway models either haven't been as frequent or just haven't caught my eye nearly as well as the TaylorMade -- exceptions are the Hot Dog Chrome Tours (which I bought), and the German Shepherd and Fireworks models (which I missed/skipped). Especially since they expanded beyond just the TP5 and started including the TP5x with every special release, I've been buying (and using) quite a few. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Qi10 LS 8* w/Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6X or Terra Forza Yellow+ (MGS Test in Progress!)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 Plus, 15* (adjusted to 14.25*) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X

Irons:  :titleist-small: U505 1 Iron (16*), T200 "Utility Build" 3 and 4 irons, all with Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 95 X Flex, :titleist-small: T100S 5-9 with Nippon Pro Modus 120 X Flex (2021 MGS Test). These things are monsters. 

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM9 46.10, 54.12, and 58.08, all with custom etchings & KBS Tour Masters-themed shafts, X-flex (CHA Post)

Putter: Total headcase and Putter Ho. Down to two main options in the rotation (one mallet, one blade), but have 4-5 by the basement putting green that might make it in the bag at some point this year... Mallet: :L.A.B.: Mezz XL 36" Orange; Blade: :L.A.B.: Link.1 w/Accra White shaft & :garsen: grip

23 minutes ago, Javs said:

I agree with you that their original ball has too much spin for me. I also will be looking at the tour. I want to see less spin and a more penetrating flight. Oh and mine will have the Marine logo!

Hooyah!! 😁

Chux Bag o' Magic:

:PXG: Black Ops 10.5°

:PXG: 0317X Proto Hybrids (17°/19°)

:PXG: 0211 XCor 2021 Irons (5-PW)

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 46° wedge

Juggernaut Max CB Full Face 52,56,60° Wedges

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 custom broomstick

:callaway-small: Chrome Tour ballz

Tech: Garmin R10/Galaxy Watch 5 Pro Golf Edition

---Opus Platinum Forum Testing Review---

I'm trying a bunch of things this year. Haven't found a go to yet. TP5x, QStar, e12 (not a fan), Tour Response and AVX. Not sure where I'll land!

Telling my wife to buy quality things over the years has paid off for my golf bag. 

I’m stilling hitting (and losing) Vice Pro balls. I used to buy them from Sam’s Club, but they stopped carrying them, so I started buying them from Walmart and waited until the price dropped to $40 for a double dozen. I currently have three boxes of them so hopefully that’ll last me for the next year and a half unless my game goes to complete shite.

On 9/11/2024 at 12:41 PM, chisag said:

... While I agree that money has no value unless you spend it and as much as I love the '24 TP5x I find it annoying that Callaway offers limited designs for the same price as their white and yellow balls. Taylor Made's money grab tacking on $5 for their limited balls over the cost of white, yellow and even PIX balls is a tough pill to swallow. 🤑

This didn't hit me until the dice balls showed up, but I think a decent portion of the $5/dz TaylorMade upcharge is for the packaging. I noticed before that Callaway's special releases just have a standard dozen box with a special sleeve over it, but TM goes all out - the entire box is customized (sometimes a different shape and everything - the pickle balls came in a "jar", the skulls in a coffin shaped box). Reason the dice balls stand out: the box is a Craps table (as shown in that stock pic), and the design within the black section actually feels like table felt - I bet that box cost them a heck of a lot more than the stock TP5 box. 

Cool? Yes. Unnecessary? Absolutely. Worth an extra $5/dz? Not a chance... But considering the annual golf costs, it's just a drop in the bucket. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Qi10 LS 8* w/Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 6X or Terra Forza Yellow+ (MGS Test in Progress!)

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Stealth2 Plus, 15* (adjusted to 14.25*) w/ Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 7X

Irons:  :titleist-small: U505 1 Iron (16*), T200 "Utility Build" 3 and 4 irons, all with Graphite Design Tour AD-IZ 95 X Flex, :titleist-small: T100S 5-9 with Nippon Pro Modus 120 X Flex (2021 MGS Test). These things are monsters. 

Wedges:  :vokey-small: SM9 46.10, 54.12, and 58.08, all with custom etchings & KBS Tour Masters-themed shafts, X-flex (CHA Post)

Putter: Total headcase and Putter Ho. Down to two main options in the rotation (one mallet, one blade), but have 4-5 by the basement putting green that might make it in the bag at some point this year... Mallet: :L.A.B.: Mezz XL 36" Orange; Blade: :L.A.B.: Link.1 w/Accra White shaft & :garsen: grip

On 9/13/2024 at 10:24 PM, ChiefMikeOfficer said:

This didn't hit me until the dice balls showed up, but I think a decent portion of the $5/dz TaylorMade upcharge is for the packaging. I noticed before that Callaway's special releases just have a standard dozen box with a special sleeve over it, but TM goes all out - the entire box is customized (sometimes a different shape and everything - the pickle balls came in a "jar", the skulls in a coffin shaped box). Reason the dice balls stand out: the box is a Craps table (as shown in that stock pic), and the design within the black section actually feels like table felt - I bet that box cost them a heck of a lot more than the stock TP5 box. 

Cool? Yes. Unnecessary? Absolutely. Worth an extra $5/dz? Not a chance... But considering the annual golf costs, it's just a drop in the bucket. 

The felt on the box made me pick it up to take a closer look. that's seemingly what they are going for, to get someone to take a second look. Luckily for me, I had no interest in spending the normal price on TP5/TP5x, let alone the surge price, so I was able to put the box back after I thought, "that's cool, but who would spend extra on a box that you would throw away normally?"

And... It's in the water...

Two questions about the Tour Response ball: (1) has the ball changed since the 2022 version?; and, (2) is TaylorMade planning to release an updated/reformulated  version next year?  I like/use the ball but the way TM has been pushing its 2-for-$75 promo makes me wonder if this is a prelude to clearing out old stock for a new ball.

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

Well, this has been an interesting year for golf balls.  

First, I started with the Wilson Staff Zip.  Soft ball.  I liked it....it was cheap!

Second, I found the Callaway Supersoft.  Amazing ball for the price.  I have had little trouble stopping it. It goes a long way, for me.  And, I can lose them without hurting my own feelings....err, too much.

Third, I was looking for something with a bit more bite than the Supersoft, so I tried a variety of balls.  E12, nice but no bueno.  Some Volvic....nah.  Then the flurry of Titleists.  I have developed a deep seeded hatred for ProV1s...doesn't seem to matter which one.  While my handicap is rising at the moment, I still carry a 5.1 and should, according to most people be playing these horrible balls.  I seem to be the only person on the planet who cannot stop a ProV1....hardly at all.  Don't know why, don't much care.  I just know that every time I try them I play worse than ever.  When I find them on the course I find a new home for them immediately so I don't get tempted again.  So, I tried the AVX.  Ugh.  It was great off my driver, or wedge if I wanted to hit 150yd lob wedge!  Just never got along with that either.  Maybe it is just me and Titleist, who I might add have never been concerned about my opinion.....wonder why???

Fourth, I found a Callaway Chrome Soft and tried that.  I figured like all "tour" balls I would find it inadequate.  But, I was gobsmacked.  It felt like the supersoft, but with some serious bite to it.  It is a 1/2 club shorter, but it helps me be a bit more accurate.  I now have the feel I like with the bite I need.  I am hitting shots that back up more that the supersofts did (I know, I know that shouldn't work either...but, it does at times.)  I cannot predict the spin yet, but I am adjusting quickly.  

Bottom line, I guess I like the softer golf balls.  Don't like the harder ones at all.  I do, however, have a fear that I will be enticed to try another before too long....

Cobra LTDx one-length 6-SW

Cobra Aerojet 2,3,4,5 Hybrids--85g stiff shafts

Cobra F8 10.5* Driver 

Cleveland CBX 58* Wedge

Bettinardi Mercedes-Benz putter

Dedicated Walker

I think I answered this question earlier in the year that I'd be using either Vice Pro Soft or Bridgestone Tour B-RX (Mindset) this year as I had a dozen of each.  But recently found a Wilson Duo-Soft on the 17th hole after I piped two into the woods so figured I'd give it a try on 18.  I took a mighty swipe off the tee but had absolutely NO IDEA where the ball went.  It wasn't one of those shots where you saw it head left or right towards the trees or think you knew the general direction - I honestly had no clue!  I figured the newly found Wilson was a goner so I teed up another Vice and hit a decent drive that slightly cut and ended just off the fairway.  I was sort of on the lookout for the red Wilson as I drove up but didn't see any other balls so I got out to hit my next shot and glanced over the hump my Vice landed next to and there in the middle of the fairway about 5 yards ahead was the Wilson!  I had "crushed it" (for me anyway) about 225 and straight as an arrow!  Feeling pretty proud of myself I took out my 8 iron and knocked my approach on the green about 20 feet right of the hole (another rare feat for the day).  Finished out my round with two putts for a par (once again...rare feat).

This got me thinking about picking up a dozen of these miracle biscuits to see how they'd do for a full round. Looked up MGS reviews and saw how soft these balls are so thinking with my slow to moderate swing speed they might work out better.  And at only $20 a dozen they are right in my budget!  

PXG Gen6 0311 driver 9 degree with Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g stiff shaft

Tour Edge Exotics C722 2 hybrid (17 degree)

Tour Edge Exotics CBX 119 3 hybrid (20 degree)

Callaway Mavrik 5 hybrid (23 degree)

PXG 0311XP Gen3 irons 6-PW

Wedges: Edel 48 degree;  Cleveland RTX Fullface 52 degree; Cleveland Smartsole 58 degree

Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 putter

Been dabbling with 4 golf balls this season:

1) Srixon Z Star Diamond

2) Pro V1

3) Pro V1x

4) Callaway Chrome Tour X

After my club fitting early April this year, we found that I needed a ball that had more spin and launch. I used to play the normal Srixon Z Star but found that the Diamond spins more and has a better flight that I was looking for. Tried the Pro V1 and V1x and again the Pro V1 didn't spin as much as the V1x or the Srixon, so pretty much stuck with that until someone mentioned the Callaway. Found it fitted my needs but it definitely had a clickier sound than the Srixon or the Pro V1x. I need more time with the Callaway and have been looking at using a Yellow ball as I find it hard to follow the flight of golf balls so that rules out the Srixon which a pity as its a good ball and much better value than the Callaway or the Pro V1x.

Alex

WITB 2024

Driver - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 10.5* (Oban Isawa Red 65g 4 Flex)

Fairway Wood - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 15* 3 Wood (Oban Isawa Red 75g 4 Flex)

Hybrid - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke 4 21* Hybrid (Accra FX Gen 3 300H M4)

Irons - Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-GW (Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff, 1* Weak Loft, Flat)

Wedges - Titleist Vokey SM10 Tour Chrome 56.10S,  60.08M (Nippon Modus Tour 125 Stiff, 1.5* Flat)

Putter - L.A.B Golf Link 1 (33", 69* lie)

Ball - Srixon Z Star Diamond / Titleist ProV1x

Guys, I am going to share a gem of a ball. Wilson Boost. $1 a ball. Simple 2 piece at walmart.. Sounds s***** right? Watch this vid on it.

I personally bought 2 dozen and went to the trackman to compare it to my prov1, Pro v1x, Pro Plus and chrome soft. 

The distance was similar on driver with all (within 5 yds) but moving to my 52* wedge, the 2 piece wilson boost flew higher and spun more than the provs and chrome soft, only the pro plus matched it. Im talking 10k spin

My irons seemed to go straighter and distance between all these were very similar and my typical distance. Its really unreal. 

He also tested the wilson staff ball and got very similar results to the Boost. The Staff balls all test in the top 5 everywhere. Theyre 5x the price.

Guys its $10 or $12 for a dozen at Walmart. Try them and tell them we're wrong. Hes got dozen of people playing this ball since he reviewed it and feedback is same as mine. Diamond in the rough. I played 18 with them today and I was spinning them back on greens and driving distance was a little longer than usual. Iron play was comparible to tour ball and expected distance. It also feels nice off the putter and rolls true.

Edited by KOG

Driver : Wilson Staff Dynapower Carbon 9* w Diamana ZF50 Stiff

3 Wood : Exotics C721 16.5* With Tensei Blue 60 stiff

7 Wood: Exotics XJ1 21* with Fujikara Pro 60 Tour Stiff

Hybrid : Exotics C721 5 Hybrid with KBS Hy 75 stiff

Utility Iron: Exotics CB ProH 21* w MMT 80 stiff

5-pw Matlby TS3 w MMT 80 stiff

54* & 60* Cleveland 588 Forged w KBS Hi-rev 2.0 125

Putter: Indi Allison

Revelation CEO Cart Bag

This season I have played the following balls; Kirkland, Taylor Made Tour Response, Titleist Pro V1, MaxFli Tour, and MaxFli Tour X.  For several years I played the Kirkland with some success.  I liked the quality, urethane cover, and high spin rate.  My natural shot shape is a draw.  The Kirkland high spin rates exaggerated my draw for both the driver and long clubs.  

Tired of having balls run off the left side of the fairway I tried the TM Tour Response.  Another urethane ball but with much less spin than the Kirkland.  Ball flight was decent but now I wanted more distance.  I researched ball qualities on-line for quality, urethane cover, distance balls.  I was surprised Pro V1 & Pro V1X were the longest.  

I tried the Pro V1 and liked the ball flight and distance.  But the price is the killer.  No way I’m paying that much money for a ball.  So I started going down the list and the MaxFli was at a much more reasonable price.  They sell three models at the price of $39.99 per doz ( four doz sale priced at $109.00);  Tour X (4 piece urethane), Tour S (3 Piece), and Tour (3 Piece).

I tried the Tour X and Tour.  I immediately noticed a great increase in my driver distance over the Kirkland and Tour Response.  I can find no difference between the Tour X and Tour.  But I lean towards the Tour X for the 4 piece design and green side spin.

:callaway-small:Driver, Callaway, 13.5 degrees, Bassara Lite shaft

Fairway Wood - Callaway Great Big Bertha 5 Wood Shaft Accra FX Gen 3 -  Pured

Hybrid - Mizuno JPX-923 Fli Hi Hybrids, Shaft Accra FX Gen 3 - Pured

Irons - Mizuno JPX 923 Hot Metal HL Irons, Shaft KBS Tour - 60g, Pured

Putter - Odysey, Two Ball, Center Hosel, Mallet

Ball - MaxFli Tour X

Bag - Vessel, U.S. Coast Guard design for the Veteran Golf Asoc.

Cart - Sun Mountain

IMG_4134.png.37eb7f2f266f2fafb00f4e39a5ce73a6.png

$40/dozen seems high but who is going to give these a shot and report back??

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, taylormade m1 irons (5-PW), Top Flite Gamer wedges (52,56,60), and odyssey white ice putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.