Handling the Off Season

Hello Everyone!

I live in Hamilton, Ontario Canada, and our golf season is April - October (if we're lucky) and even then rounds are very cold and very different then playing a regular summer round. 

My goal over the past few years has been to get to scratch and be able to start shooting under par. I've been improving by about 3-4 strokes a year, but my concern is as I get closer to my goal, the off-season is going to have a larger negative impact on my game as the margin for error becomes less and less the better you shoot. I have a simulator in my garage that I find helpful, but it's never 100% accurate and there's always a bunch of adjustments that I need to make when I get out and start playing again in the Spring.

This brings me to my question...what do you guys do to manage your offseason and try to avoid rust? Am I overthinking it and is it much like riding a bike? Or do you find you lose a lot of touch and habits that help you score? 

I'd be interested to hear any tips, thoughts, or ideas!

Thanks!

Driver:   Stealth 9* w/ XS Hzrdus Smoke Black
Fairway:  Stealth 3W 15* w/ XS Hzrdus Smoke Black
Irons:   

• P790 2 Iron w/ XS Hzrdus Smoke Black
  • P790 4-6 Iron w/ Project X
  • P770 7-AW XS w/ Project X 

Wedge:   MG3 56* and 60*
Putter:  35" Spider GT Splitback

What adjustments do you have to make because of your use of the simulator.

Getting swings in during the offseason should help maintain things and not cause rust other than maybe shaking of some alignment issues and potentially energy levels depending on what one’s activities are during the offseason. Also probably the touch as aspect of partial shots.

Off-season routines can be focused on improving movement patterns without the concern for ball flight and the results affecting the effort to improve movement.

Monte has posted on his social media improving golfers swings and thus scores during covid with only hitting ball indoors into a screen 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

What adjustments do you have to make because of your use of the simulator. 

Thanks for the help, I'll take a look at that!

With regard to adjustments, I feel like hitting off turf and grass is quite a bit different. Typically I have an issue with hitting a lot of my shots thin on a standard setup until I get used to hitting outside again. 

I've raised the turf that I'm standing on and made sure it's level, so I don't think it's that, and I also seem to be the only one in my group that struggles with this.

Driver:   Stealth 9* w/ XS Hzrdus Smoke Black
Fairway:  Stealth 3W 15* w/ XS Hzrdus Smoke Black
Irons:   

• P790 2 Iron w/ XS Hzrdus Smoke Black
  • P790 4-6 Iron w/ Project X
  • P770 7-AW XS w/ Project X 

Wedge:   MG3 56* and 60*
Putter:  35" Spider GT Splitback

55 minutes ago, Wieskemp said:

Thanks for the help, I'll take a look at that!

With regard to adjustments, I feel like hitting off turf and grass is quite a bit different. Typically I have an issue with hitting a lot of my shots thin on a standard setup until I get used to hitting outside again. 

I've raised the turf that I'm standing on and made sure it's level, so I don't think it's that, and I also seem to be the only one in my group that struggles with this.

Turf/mats can hide some not so good contact. This can cause the mental aspect to change when on turf and to avoid the bad contact that can happen on turf.

The biggest thing to focus on in the sim is ball first contact.

I would look at the swing and see if maybe you are getting to the lead side late. If so the towel drill behind the ball is a good one. If it may be from getting a little steep then the towel drill isn’t the best option to use for ball first practice.

If you have video from indoor and outdoor I would compare the them and see what you might be doing differently

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I am not a low single handicapper, but do live in Minnesota which has the same weather barriers.  

I use our club simulator and focus on getting my distances accurate.  I find after having control of direction, understanding the gaps in distance is important to lowering scores.  
I am always very patient when heading out in Spring because the ball is now above, in sand or on some sort of uneven lie.  This changes the swing plane, causing early season frustration.  That said, spending time at the range purposefully, practicing short shots and PUTTS keeps my scores close to the season before.  
We went to Florida in February and my scores the first few times out were comparable to last October, after spending a few hours on the range and greens.  I am also in my mid-60’s so I don’t have the strength and flexibility of younger folks who should be able to bounce back easier.  

Titleist TSR1 Driver @ 10.5

Titleist TSR1 FW @ 16.5

Titleist TSR1 HB @ 19

Titleist TSR1 HB @ 24

Titleist T300: 6-U

Titleist SM9: 52, 56, 60

Cleveland 2 Smart Square Putter

Oskeeweebe; something like that as from "Down The Road E".  WELCOME!! .....Worked my way thru Ryerson working at Silverwoods delivering Milk on "The Mountain" during the the Summer Month's. Silverwoods' Plant was on Barton across St. from Ti-Cat's Stadium. In those day's it was Argo's or Tiger Cats; people out here only admit cheering for the Eskimos; well now the "Elks" when it is convenient!!

Most can Play though; although I do enjoy annoying them as once in awhile when I play decent; but am on the wrong side of Age; Now!! Damm!!

Ah; To Be Canadian; though!!!

21 hours ago, Wieskemp said:

Hello Everyone!

I live in Hamilton, Ontario Canada, and our golf season is April - October (if we're lucky) and even then rounds are very cold and very different then playing a regular summer round. 

My goal over the past few years has been to get to scratch and be able to start shooting under par. I've been improving by about 3-4 strokes a year, but my concern is as I get closer to my goal, the off-season is going to have a larger negative impact on my game as the margin for error becomes less and less the better you shoot. I have a simulator in my garage that I find helpful, but it's never 100% accurate and there's always a bunch of adjustments that I need to make when I get out and start playing again in the Spring.

This brings me to my question...what do you guys do to manage your offseason and try to avoid rust? Am I overthinking it and is it much like riding a bike? Or do you find you lose a lot of touch and habits that help you score? 

I'd be interested to hear any tips, thoughts, or ideas!

Thanks!

Very impressive results . Most pros tell me short game , short game, the first thing to go because it is a feel thing. We used to go to Arizona for one week, I now retired and have a home in AZ

Golf A Game For A Lifetime

@Wieskemp, welcome to the forum. I think you'll find many answers to your questions. Continue to keep us updated as well.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

1 hour ago, billybogey said:

Oskeeweebe; something like that as from "Down The Road E".  WELCOME!! .....Worked my way thru Ryerson working at Silverwoods delivering Milk on "The Mountain" during the the Summer Month's. Silverwoods' Plant was on Barton across St. from Ti-Cat's Stadium. In those day's it was Argo's or Tiger Cats; people out here only admit cheering for the Eskimos; well now the "Elks" when it is convenient!!

Most can Play though; although I do enjoy annoying them as once in awhile when I play decent; but am on the wrong side of Age; Now!! Damm!!

Ah; To Be Canadian; though!!!

Love The Hammer 

6 minutes ago, billybogey said:

Just Know Andy we get the Young Guns with our Short Game & putting!!! Enjoy going "Ah Ching" after making a Good One!!

Seems to "annoy" them for some reason. Noticed they see me Smiling as I'm 1st. to step up to next Tee!!

Just Sayin'

Sport's Fans.

At age 67 I can’t get too much longer so short game is my money for sure