Testers Wanted! Volvik Golf Balls ×

Copper 790s.....Lacking distance?

Golf88

Just got my hands on these beauties and played two rounds with the copper 790s.  I've never played with a 790 and i know the lofts are going to be different than my stealth and my paradyms but the distance for me is substantially off.  Moreso in my short irons.  I was struggling to hit a PW 110, 9 120, 8 130......and I was hitting it pretty solid.  I really struggled, even my normal group i played with commented how my distance was so off.  I'm normally the longest of the 4 of us and i was the shortest now.  One thing i will note, the club was dead straight but the distance was not there.......

Anyone else experience similar issues with the 790s because I read nothing but good things?  Trust me i know the lofts are different but to be losing 20-25 yards yards on every club seems off to me. 

Side note* the copper mini driver (purchased at same time) is amazing and I'm considering keeping it in my bad and dropping the driver.  I love it off the deck and tee.

image.png.38b2fb83e6505e703e232df5bb2dcf32.png

The clubs are very nice looking. I looked at them before. My clubs have a higher loft and took me a while to figure them out. Keep us posted and let us know how it goes. 

Michael Burrage

1 hour ago, Golf88 said:

Anyone else experience similar issues with the 790s because I read nothing but good things?  Trust me i know the lofts are different but to be losing 20-25 yards yards on every club seems off to me. 

... The only time I had that kind of distance loss was when I was on staff with Wilson and played their new Firestick Titanium irons shafts. I played the stiff version but Wilson found they played a little over one full flex stronger than comparable steel shafts. I lost about 15 yards and gained it all back when I went to a softer flex. Heads can make a difference for sure, but not 20yds and my educated guess is the shafts you are playing might be too stiff and you aren't loading or unloading them like your previous irons. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 4-9i ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x 

6 minutes ago, chisag said:

... The only time I had that kind of distance loss was when I was on staff with Wilson and played their new Firestick Titanium irons shafts. I played the stiff version but Wilson found they played a little over one full flex stronger than comparable steel shafts. I lost about 15 yards and gained it all back when I went to a softer flex. Heads can make a difference for sure, but not 20yds and my educated guess is the shafts you are playing might be too stiff and you aren't loading or unloading them like your previous irons. 

Yeah interesting point.  I’m using kbs max 85 on my stealth and tour lites on the coppers.  I think they are relatively the same weight? But I can try and switch them out and see if that helps. 

28 minutes ago, Golf88 said:

Yeah interesting point.  I’m using kbs max 85 on my stealth and tour lites on the coppers.  I think they are relatively the same weight? But I can try and switch them out and see if that helps. 

I have had copper clubs before and not lost distance.  They did seem to wear faster. Particularly the grooves.

:titelist-small:  TSR 3   9.0  GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:titelist-small:  TSi 3  15.0 GD Tour AD - DI 6S Stiff

:ping-small: Utility 2 Iron 18.0 - Nippon NS Pro 650GH Stiff /  :titelist-small: TS3  21 Hybrid Tensei AV Blue 65 HY Stiff

:Takomo:  5 - 9 101T Irons - KBS Tour Lite Stiff - Official Tester 2023

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 46 F - 10 BV105

:vokey-small: Vokey SM9 52 F - 12 Nippon NS Pro 950 Stiff

:vokey-small: Vokey Forged 56 M - 10  DG S200

:taylormade-small: MG3 60 - 12 - Nippon NS Modus3 Tour 105 Stiff

image.gif.2bc8a27613a423a3721fd3b955802132.gif  Scotty Special Select - Squareback 2 - 35”  / Super Stroke Slim 3.0

:srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

:titelist-small: Players 4 bag  image.png.939559f85230fe16347ecf2765438915.png    :redrooster:

:Arccos: Official Tester - 2021 & Current MCC Plus 4 Sensor / Club Sensor User

4 hours ago, Golf88 said:

Just got my hands on these beauties and played two rounds with the copper 790s.  I've never played with a 790 and i know the lofts are going to be different than my stealth and my paradyms but the distance for me is substantially off.  Moreso in my short irons.  I was struggling to hit a PW 110, 9 120, 8 130......and I was hitting it pretty solid.  I really struggled, even my normal group i played with commented how my distance was so off.  I'm normally the longest of the 4 of us and i was the shortest now.  One thing i will note, the club was dead straight but the distance was not there.......

Side note* the copper mini driver (purchased at same time) is amazing and I'm considering keeping it in my bad and dropping the driver.  I love it off the deck and tee.

image.png.38b2fb83e6505e703e232df5bb2dcf32.png

Why would the irons' finish adversely affect its distance and performance?

(He asked ignorantly)

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag includes;

DRIVER: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
FAIRWAYS: :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv, R-Flex and :macgregor-small: 21*,
UST DHI dRVR, R-Flex
IRONS: New Level  623-CB, 5-PW, :projectx: IO, 5.5 R+Flex
WEDGES: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, :truetemper: Dynamic Gold W-Flex 

PUTTER: Ray Cook Blue Goose 
GRIPS: Lamkin Crossline (irons), Lamkin UTx (wedges), Golf Pride Z-Cord & MCC (woods)

BALL: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

1 minute ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

(He asked ignorantly)

... It would not. The OG did say it was his first time playing P790's. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 4-9i ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x 

4 minutes ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

(He asked ignorantly)

Yeah never said it had anything to do with the copper finish….strictly talking about 790 clubs themselves regardless of finish.  

the copper reference was more referring to the beauty of the club. 🙂 

4 minutes ago, chisag said:

... It would not. The OG did say it was his first time playing P790's. 

Gotcha...reading comprehension fail. 🫤

Losing 20-25 yards per club on a different game improvement model is shocking, though, regardless of the reason for it. I've always been lead to believe the P790s were really hot.

My :1590477705_SunMountain: C-130 cart bag includes;

DRIVER: :srixon-small: z565 10.5*, Miyazaki Kaula Mizu 6 S-Flex
FAIRWAYS: :callaway-small: X-Hot 15* & 18*, Project X PXv, R-Flex and :macgregor-small: 21*,
UST DHI dRVR, R-Flex
IRONS: New Level  623-CB, 5-PW, :projectx: IO, 5.5 R+Flex
WEDGES: :cleveland-small: CG10; 50*, 54*, 58*, :truetemper: Dynamic Gold W-Flex 

PUTTER: Ray Cook Blue Goose 
GRIPS: Lamkin Crossline (irons), Lamkin UTx (wedges), Golf Pride Z-Cord & MCC (woods)

BALL: Kirkland Signature 3-Piece 

3 minutes ago, J.B. TexasEx said:

Gotcha...reading comprehension fail. 🫤

Losing 20-25 yards per club on a different game improvement model is shocking, though, regardless of the reason for it. I've always been lead to believe the P790s were really hot.

P790s aren't game improvement;  they are technically players distance.   

3 hours ago, Golf88 said:

I am pretty sure the Max 85 are made for shafts for Taylormade.   Probably a slight weight difference but the bigger question is profile and how you react to the feel of those clubs.   You may launch the newer clubs higher with more spin which is creating the distance gap you are seeing.   Only way to know would be to hit them on a launch monitor and compare the data.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

What were the lofts on the clubs you were playing before? Is there a significant weight difference in your new shafts?

If you are paranoid, the best thing to do is to find a launch monitor and take your old set plus new set and compare the numbers. It would absolutely be worth the cost of finding somewhere you can rent a launch monitor that will give you the data to see what changed between the two sets of clubs.

Driver: G430 10k

3W: Sim2 Max 5W: Stealth Max

4H: Sim 2 5H: TSR2

6-7i: Zx5 Mkii

8-P: Zx7 Mkii

48, 52, 56 SM9

Spider GT 

• 2 weeks later...

Well for those who think there is a lack of distance where do you live? Now that the weather is warming up you will see the distance gains as I'm also thinking my Blueprints S are a good half a club shorter than my 923 HMP's. Not a lack of distance now as summer is here and I'm also seeing some parts of the fairway with my driver now that I didn't see earlier because of the damp colder weather. Now my approach shot are back to where I feel more comfortable hitting without getting to aggressive with my swing

Driver:  :ping-small: G430 Max 10 w/ VA Composites Slay 55

3W: :cobra-small: Darkspeed Max w/UST Mamiya LIN-Q-M40X Red

5/7 W: :callaway-small:  Paradym w/ :projectx:HZRDS 60 

5 thru PW : 😍 :ping-small: BP S w/ i70 SteelFiber black Label PR shafts

Wedges: :cleveland-small:  RTX 6 Full face 48*, 54* w/ i95 SteelFiber shafts

Puter: 😍 :L.A.B.: GREEN DF3 w/Black 34" w/ BGT Stability ONE w/Press II 3 grip

(Back-up):EVNROLL:  E2 34" w/ BGT Stability Fire shaft midsize Black Pure Grip