Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Music while playing golf?

Good afternoon fellow forum members, 

I've noticed a big trend the last couple of years that I'm sure you are all aware of, and many even participate in: playing music out loud while playing golf. 

At first I wasn't sure what I would think about this. I walk 90+% of my rounds (only ride if the 5 year old desperately wants me to drive a cart).  When I am playing I will inevitably come across a group that is playing music. It isn't loud necessarily, but it's there.  

What do you guys think of this?  Are you okay with it?  Do you do it yourself?  Do you follow any kind of etiquette with playing music? (Turn it down around others or only play certain music, etc.). 

I don't do it myself, but I'm not the least bit bothered by it during my rounds.....having said that, I can see how people might be. What are your thoughts community? 

Thanks 

Always looking for that competitive edge 

12 minutes ago, schmen082 said:

Good afternoon fellow forum members, 

I've noticed a big trend the last couple of years that I'm sure you are all aware of, and many even participate in: playing music out loud while playing golf. 

At first I wasn't sure what I would think about this. I walk 90+% of my rounds (only ride if the 5 year old desperately wants me to drive a cart).  When I am playing I will inevitably come across a group that is playing music. It isn't loud necessarily, but it's there.  

What do you guys think of this?  Are you okay with it?  Do you do it yourself?  Do you follow any kind of etiquette with playing music? (Turn it down around others or only play certain music, etc.). 

I don't do it myself, but I'm not the least bit bothered by it during my rounds.....having said that, I can see how people might be. What are your thoughts community? 

Thanks 

I hate it, and you can tell that our club has an aging demographic because it isn't allowed as of now.  

I'm sure it will come eventually, though, 

The people who would play music on the course won't be playing Sinatra or Tony Bennett.  
They'll be playing stuff that would inspire me to launch driving iron line drives at them.😠

Still, you can't hold off the new ways forever.

I don't mind it at all. I'll listen to music when I play from time to time. I'll turn it down or pause it if I get near anyone. Sometimes I'll forget it's paused and won't play it again for the rest of the round. I don't have a preference and I don't care if someone wants to have it. Just don't turn it up to 11. 

Okish golfer

I play music while on the course.  Sinatra or Tony Bennett sounds good actually.  

I do hate the music players that blast the music so loud you can hear them half-way across the course.

I agree with bilalmeo4u on the etiquette tips.

Keep the volume low: Ensure it's not loud enough to disturb other players.

Respect others: Turn it down or off when near other groups.

Ask your group: Make sure your playing partners are okay with it.

Driver: TaylorMade Stealth 2, 9.0, ventus blue 5R shaft

3 wood: TaylorMade Sim2 max, 15.0, ventus blue 5R shaft

5 wood: TaylorMade Burner (old school)

Irons:

4-PW - PXG-0311XP-Gen3, Modus Pro 105-R shafts

48 Deg wedge, Calloway Jaws

52 Deg wedge, Ping

56 Deg sandwedge, Powerbilt (had is since high school)

Putter: TaylorMade Spyder  

Personally, I hear enough sounds throughout the day that the only thing I want to hear is the natural golfing environment when I play or practice - birds, leaves rustling in the wind and hopefully the sound of compression off the face of a club followed by a "woooosh." Not only is it relaxing but I depend on sound as a source of feedback.

WITB
D - Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9*
3w - Ping G400 14.5*
5w - Ping G400 17.5* (adj. to 18.1*)
2i - Wilson Staff Utility 18*
4i - Wilson Staff Utility 24*
5i-PW - Wilson Staff Blades (2019)
50* - Wilson Staff ZM (8* bounce)
56* - Wilson Staff HT (10* bounce)
P - Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2

5 hours ago, bilalmeo4u said:

Good afternoon,

Thanks for starting this discussion!

Welcome to the forums @bilalmeo4u. Glad you shared and hope you do so in the future,

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

4 hours ago, AP Major said:

Personally, I hear enough sounds throughout the day that the only thing I want to hear is the natural golfing environment when I play or practice - birds, leaves rustling in the wind and hopefully the sound of compression off the face of a club followed by a "woooosh." Not only is it relaxing but I depend on sound as a source of feedback.

Welcome to the forums @AP Major. I hear ya for sure. If I don't hear it, I don't really care but hearing it from 2 fairways over is not cool in my book. There are just too many folks who have lost the fine art of "in moderation". The last thing I want is to hear that Boom-boom deep base they call music.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

Since most of my rounds end up being solo, I will usually listen to music. I use earbuds though, so no one else has to hear my music. If I'm paired up with someone, I leave the earbuds in the bag because I feel like it would be rude to the other people, even though I'm not much of a talker by nature. I'm definitely more on the introverted side, but I don't necessarily enjoy silence. I wear my earbuds for practice, so I honestly feel more comfortable with them than without, but I don't mind other people listening to music on a speaker out on the course.

No matter what music others are playing, I am aware that my choice of music is far more eclectic, so there isn't any specific type of music that truly bothers me. Obviously some selections are more... questionable... in my opinion, but I don't have a strong opinion either way to the point that it would bother me. If it works for them, by all means, go ahead. 

Driver: Titleist GT3 w/ GD Tour AD VF 6S (Testing in progress)
3 & 5 Woods: Titleist GT3 w/ GD Tour AD VF 7S (Testing in progress)
Hybrids: 19 and 22 degree PXG 0317XF Gen 4 w/ Project X Evenflow Riptide 80g
Irons: 5-PW PXG 0311P Gen 4 w/ KBS Tour 120
Wedges: Indi 50 FLX, 54 FLX, 58 ATK w/ KBS Wedge 610 (Official Review)
Putter: PXG Battle Ready Blackjack, 36.5”, Double Bend neck

Titleist GT Long Game Testing

I’m okay with it if it’s kept to the confines of the cart. Not a fan if I’m hearing it from several holes away.

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

I don't see any issues with it. I always play music but usually try to stick to some mellow house music at a pretty low volume. But if I'm playing with someone who's not my friend, I always ask if they mind. As long as your not blasting music that might bother or stress someone out, I think its perfectly acceptable.

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone Xtreme 10.5 ~TENSEI AV Orange 65 S

Fairway Wood: :ping-small: G425 5w set at 16.5

Hybrid: :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max Rescue 4 Hybrid ~ Ventus Blue 6 R

Irons: :taylormade-small: SIM2 Max 5-A ~ Elevate MPH 95 S

Wedges: :callaway-small: 54° JAWS Full Toe Chrome :callaway-small: 58° JAWS Full Toe Black

Putter:  :scotty-small: Special Select Flowback 5.5 (for now....)

Our event foursome plays classic rock or county. I always have a speaker in my carr but usually play music if I'm playing alone. We play in a Monday and Friday shotgun group of 32 and depending on who one plays with music is on or not. Some like it, some hate it. One guy even wants 20 seconds of quiet and no movement while he is taking a shot.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Occasionally, I'll play with some guys from work who play music.  It doesn't bother me at all.  It's never loud enough to be distracting.  The times I've heard it from other groups on the course, the volume has always been respectful.  You're really not going to be close enough to the group in front of you or behind you during a round to notice it, in my experience.  You shouldn't be bumping into each other at the tee box or near the green.  The only time I can think of where it would happen is waiting on the first hole to tee off and then maybe if you're playing adjacent holes and near each other somewhere in the middle of each.  If you're at least 100yds apart, which you should be for 95% of a round, you shouldn't be able to hear the music.  If you can, or it's more than a faint noise, then the music is too loud.

On a side note, I like to listen to music or podcasts through earphones when I play solo rounds.  Yeah, my chances of hearing somebody shout, "fore!" diminish, but I'm not too worried about it.

Edited by Brooky03
On 7/29/2024 at 4:54 PM, RetiredBoomer said:

I hate it, and you can tell that our club has an aging demographic because it isn't allowed as of now.  

I'm sure it will come eventually, though, 

The people who would play music on the course won't be playing Sinatra or Tony Bennett.  
They'll be playing stuff that would inspire me to launch driving iron line drives at them.😠

Still, you can't hold off the new ways forever.

Agreed with you at first but has become so prevalent at my club that I no longer even notice.

Ping 430max, Stealth 2plus 15°

pxg 19,° 22°, 0311p gen 3 5-gap

Vokey sm10 54, 58

LAB Mezz 35" 

100% ok with it and I do it personally. I'm aware of my surroundings and who I'm playing with so will adjust if I need to. Some rounds just don't play anything that's fine too but typically get it going. Nothing SUPER loud, I do hear some groups like a hole away and mine is never that loud. I always turn it down as I approach the group in front especially if they're teeing off, etc. I like it on the course though.

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus, 9* turned 9.75*, Stiff, Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 60g, Cut 1" Short

Hybrid: :adams-small: Pro 2 Hybrid 18* Aldila Tour 75g Stiff 

Driving Iron: Akira Mi118 Prototype Utility 2 Iron

Irons: :taylormade-small: P790, 4-GW Dynamic Gold, Stiff

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore MID 56* & 60*, Bent 2* upright

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: GM2 Exchange 2 Mallet, Center Shaft, Super Stroke 2.0

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x

Technology: Blue Tees Golf Series 3 Max Rangefinder

Bag: :sunmountain: Boom 14-Way Cart Bag

One of the courses I play you can connect your phone to the cart speakers - perfect volume for when you're chilling waiting for your turn but quiet enough you really can't even hear it if you are more than 5 feet from the cart. Its a pretty good setup I think. 

Titleist TSR2 9degree

Callaway Paradym X 3W

Callaway Epic Max 5W

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke 4-PW

Wedges: Taylormade MG4 50-degree, Cleveland Tour Action 588 56-degree

Nike Putter

3 minutes ago, Chas c said:

One of the courses I play you can connect your phone to the cart speakers - perfect volume for when you're chilling waiting for your turn but quiet enough you really can't even hear it if you are more than 5 feet from the cart. Its a pretty good setup I think. 

Our carts are the same way. 

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.