Do you have a "range only" club?

Pcmart03

I have a couple of clubs that I love hitting at the range, but don't put in my bag. The first is a PXG Gen 5 XF 3 wood. I got fit into it and had some luck with it at a time when I couldn't hit my driver, but these days, I'm better suited with a driver and 5 wood. But, damn is that club fun to hit. Pure strikes feel amazing and go for miles. The problem is they're at best 2/15 swings. The same goes for my 5-iron. Nothing feels better than a well struck shot with it, but on the course, for that distance, I'd rather have the consistency of a hybrid.

I'm fortunate in that I can often go to my local range on my lunch break, so it's as much recreation as practice, so I was curious to see if anyone else had clubs they like to break out when the pressure is off.

Funnily enough I have the same with my PXG 5 wood! Love hitting it at the range when it goes right but it's not worth the risk on the course as I've been so inconsistent with it! Was not fitted for it unfortunately as it was a gift from family so they just went with the standard spec on the website. My hybrid 4 does the work on the course for me

Sent from my SM-S928B using Tapatalk

Spread The Game

I have a few that I've only ever used on the range but can't say I have specific range only clubs.

By this I mean got a club to try and test. Used it, compared it but never made the bag.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I have a few clubs that don't make the cut for the course. I built a strong 3i driving iron that doesn't fit my course but I'll practice with it occasionally.  I have my Toura clubs I built that get pulled off the wall to hit and stay fresh. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I generally don’t have extra clubs around.  I have some but these were prior gamers that weren’t working anymore.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

I can't see myself practicing with a club I don't intend to play. 🤷

I've picked up a number of goodwill/thrift store clubs to tinker with,  take them to the range, then either put them in a spare bag backup set or give them away to friends who can use them. 

If a particular club isn't working for me, I will pull out it's equivalent, if I have one, and see if it works better.

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

I do but probably not the way OP was asking. I have 2 fairway woods I consciously practice with on the range and then rarely pull it out of the bag on the course. I feel like being 200-225 out with greens guarded by bunkers or water gives me pause. I tend to layup with an iron and then pitch on. 

Edited by MidwestGolfer74

Southpaw

Driver:   :callaway-small: Rogue ST MAX LS, Mitsubishi TENSEI AV White 65 Graphite Stiff

Woods:   :titleist-small: TSi2 Fairway Wood 5W 18°, Fujikura ATMOS 5 Blue Graphite Stiff

:titleist-small: TSr1 Hybrid 23°, Mitsubishi Speedmesh HY 50 Graphite Regular

Irons:     :titleist-small: 718 AP3s, stiff steel shafts, 5-P                                          

Wedges:   :titleist-small: Vokey SM6 46, 50, 54, 58

Putter:   :odyssey-small:  White Hot RX #9

Balls:     :vice: Pro Plus 

I don't have any range only clubs but I do have a range only bag- a Sunday Golf Loma Bag big enough to carry 4 or 5 clubs and my tees.

image.png.3b883ddb02eed4871ea9eb0079d51e22.png Aerojet LS driver

image.png.5437ebe1f69b3330b39e21119440731c.png G425 Max 5-wood

:ping-small: G425 Max 7-wood

:mizuno-small: Hot Metal 921, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Graphite (currently testing New Level 480DB)

image.png.6d1f61c2c733ddfac4c3094a971ed4fb.png CBX ZipCore Chrome 52* 56* 60* Wedges

image.png.6d1f61c2c733ddfac4c3094a971ed4fb.png HB SOFT 2 Putter – Model 8C

Negative ghost rider, my bag is full.  I used to use “range” clubs before my fitting but changed afterwards.  The fitter explained that I could be constantly making swing compensations with different sets than the fitted set and even from club to club in the range set.  After researching his claim, I agree.  Loft/lie can vary from club to club and I have enough issues with ME, let alone variable clubs.  I stay with the fitted set.

Driver - Ping G410+ LA golf 65S

3wood - Ping G400 Aldia green 75S

5 wood - Ping G410 Aldia 75S

4-pw Iron - TM M3 steel fiber  i110

Ping Glide 3.0 - 50, 54, 58 Nippon 115

Odyssey O-Works 2-ball

ProV1x

7 hours ago, zengineer said:

I will sometimes take this to force a better iron swing. Not convinced it works but it fun all the same.

In cold weather off a mat its borderline dangerous. d5dbed5ee50881aa995c404b6e909115.jpg

My hands hurt just at the thought of hitting that club!

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

My Ping Icrossover 2 iron is usually it. Every once in a rare while I’ll game it and have a spectacular shot but more often than not it’s just a range hero 

Boston born, Florida raised

On 9/5/2024 at 12:49 PM, ClarkWGriswoldIII said:

I don't have any range only clubs but I do have a range only bag- a Sunday Golf Loma Bag big enough to carry 4 or 5 clubs and my tees.

I have the same (well, it’s the Lite version, but still). I love having a range bag. It keeps me from feeling like I have to hit through all my clubs and keeps me focused on the clubs I chose to take to the range to practice with. I like the Lite, but it could use just one more pocket. I can cram the MLM into it, or hang it on the side in its case, but it’s truly a ‘lite’ bag. And for what the bag costs, it’s well worth the investment. 

It’s fully big enough to carry a couple range clubs, plus a couple wedges and a putter (even with a fat grip) so I can get in practice on both sides, which is nice. 

Some day, when I’m brave or board, I’m going to force myself to walk a round with that bag and only the clubs I can fit in it!

Edited by RyanGi

Driver:  image.png.ac16a10c2b861fff646dd08647f76d1f.png 849D
     Fuji ‘24 Ventus Blue 5R
3-5Hy:  Pinemeadow Command BK
6-PW:  image.png.e76c3a80e959f4571ac9d38b658506a0.png 699 v2
     Mitsu MMT 80g
Wedges:  image.png.bddbadf2cd48c1b40cf591e520848ebb.png MAX milled 50° (bent to 48°), 54°, 58°
     Mitsu Kuro Kage black 2G S/R
Putter:  image.jpeg.4a8b0ee0fbff31934a2e15fc68a7bfe7.jpeg King Supernova 20
     ArmLock AL2 grip
Ball:  image.png.10667a299706a9d7d3afd32e78f27847.png Pro Soft
Bag: image.png.1645cda6e679afe5a2659ddb2ecb59d1.png  C130

Wine is sunlight held together by water - Galileo 

I keep a few.  I have a driving iron that I use a lot to work on technique.  And 1 or 2 older that I range instead of donate.  And because of the course I now play a lot, no deep grass rough, I don't use my 2 hybrids but I do practice with them.  When I got back into the game 10 years ago, my 1st club was a used Apex Pro 6 iron, I used a lot for 6 years on the range.  I also keep 2 rare:  Ginty 2 BeCu 7 iron and sand wedge. 

#1  PXG 0211 10.5 deg, Evnflo Riptide CB 40 gram A flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr,  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram A flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1,    Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC Fli-Hi 3i 18 degree, Recoil 95 reg flex.

4 iron:  GFF Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree forged hollow body,  Aerotech Steelfiber 😍😃💥.

5 Hybrid: Mizuno (2017) JPX Fli-Hi wave tech, Recoil ESX 460 reg flex.

Irons: 6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil Smacwrap ES 760, reg flex.

Wedges: 2 x Mizuno S5 52/09.  1@ 50 deg, 1@ 54 deg; New (July 2024) Mizu ES 21, 58 x 08, jet black.

Chipper: Don Martin "Up n In" brass/bronze. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, with 2 piece Stroke Lab multi material shaft.🙃💘

Yes I do and not for reasons others state. I have a beater Power Bilt persimmon I use for training purposes. It is such a beater I do not worry about range rocks. If I can hit that thing reasonably in the face then my semi-modern Cally is a no brainer

@zengineer I have quite a few 1 irons ranging from a Tommy Armour blade to a Ping Eye2. The TA and Top Flite ones are too stiff for me to hit anymore. I do mess with the Eye2 some in my vintage rounds because it has a regular shaft. I can elevate it some about chest high with a 175 yard cut. But it is kicks and giggles for me. Actually 20 years ago I played it front line. LOL back then I could hit it about 40 ft high or so and about 230 250 with roll out. Those days are way back in the rear view mirror for me now. The TA blade I actually carried about 40 years ago now and the Ping replaced it.

@TJ Hall-- We have raised now 2 generations of golfers that will never enjoy the vibration and sting of a bladed 1 or 2 iron blade on a chilly morning. When you brought that up I can remember the feel on that with the old TA 1 iron

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Speeder 565 R flex- - 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R---- Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex steel shafts--- SW -- Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore --- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Fluted Bulls Eye shaft--- Bag TM Flex Lite Stand---- Yeah I know only 11 clubs 

G

3 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Yes I do and not for reasons others state. I have a beater Power Bilt persimmon I use for training purposes. It is such a beater I do not worry about range rocks. If I can hit that thing reasonably in the face then my semi-modern Cally is a no brainer

@zengineer I have quite a few 1 irons ranging from a Tommy Armour blade to a Ping Eye2. The TA and Top Flite ones are too stiff for me to hit anymore. I do mess with the Eye2 some in my vintage rounds because it has a regular shaft. I can elevate it some about chest high with a 175 yard cut. But it is kicks and giggles for me. Actually 20 years ago I played it front line. LOL back then I could hit it about 40 ft high or so and about 230 250 with roll out. Those days are way back in the rear view mirror for me now. The TA blade I actually carried about 40 years ago now and the Ping replaced it.

@TJ Hall-- We have raised now 2 generations of golfers that will never enjoy the vibration and sting of a bladed 1 or 2 iron blade on a chilly morning. When you brought that up I can remember the feel on that with the old TA 1 iron

I still remember catching a 3 iron thin one Thanksgiving morning…first tee shot of the day.  It was quite a few holes before my hands recovered!

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

My 'retired' clubs are generally relegated to the range. I just replaced my Radspeed 3 wood with a Qi10, and I'll spend my exclusive range time with the Radspeed. On the other hand when I go to the range to warm up before a round, I'll only use my playing clubs. 

p.s. same thing for my shoes. I wear my old golf shoes to the range - better use then just throwing them out. 

Edited by tony@CIC

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

On 9/6/2024 at 9:04 PM, zengineer said:

I will sometimes take this to force a better iron swing. Not convinced it works but it fun all the same.

In cold weather off a mat its borderline dangerous. d5dbed5ee50881aa995c404b6e909115.jpg

Oh yes! I'm in love! You're my kinda guy!

To be candid.... I would rather walk a field with a good Bird Dog, than to walk a golf course with people. Only problem is, I can't walk.

Great idea for a thread! I have a set of odd-numbered Wilson Staff FG-17s that I use for practice. The chrome is worn off of the sweet spots but I don't care and they hit just the same without the chrome. They're the clubs I played junior golf with, and I've always loved them. Great practice clubs. You can work the ball and you know if you don't make a good pass at it.  

PCA pastor; scratch golfer; classic club enthusiast; exclusive forged muscle back blade player; former golf coach. 

Currently playing: Titleist 985 driver, 3-wood; Titleist 680 forged irons; Vokey wedges; Scotty Cameron Newport II custom putter.

On 9/11/2024 at 11:50 PM, Biggsenator said:

Great idea for a thread! I have a set of odd-numbered Wilson Staff FG-17s that I use for practice. The chrome is worn off of the sweet spots but I don't care and they hit just the same without the chrome. They're the clubs I played junior golf with, and I've always loved them. Great practice clubs. You can work the ball and you know if you don't make a good pass at it.  

My old man was a worse old school guy than I am. I can remember when Ping first came out with CB clubs and marketing "forgiveness" My Old Man said " if you want forgiveness go to Church and pray because Old Man Macgregor and Wilson will not forgive you"

Now this may be me but when I hit a bad shot with a blade it may be ugly but not as far offline etc. as a more modern hot faced CB iron. And I flat refuse to debate the Blades versus CB thing either. As far as I am concerned, I play what I want to and others can play what they want to.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Speeder 565 R flex- - 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R---- Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex steel shafts--- SW -- Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore --- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Fluted Bulls Eye shaft--- Bag TM Flex Lite Stand---- Yeah I know only 11 clubs 

G