Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

How far do you bomb it off the tee?

Javs

7 hours ago, Off Map Oscar said:

I think there is a lot more that goes into it than just handicap was the point and it's a pretty diverse age group. The older guys over 50 are not getting 250 consistently. 

The under 45 guys are. I just checked my shotscope average, p average and longest for the last 15 rounds. My average is 248. My P average which i think means performance is 283 and my longest is 317. I also never tee off with a 3 wood. I have better consistency 80% swinging my driver off the tee to get to a dog leg turn or avoid a hazard. 

P average throws out stuff that is obviously a flub. Things that bring that average down dramatically and aren't indicative of what happens when you actually make contact.  The whole point of tracking data at least for me is to make better decisions on course. If I usually hit a club xxx far and I top one 10 feet now my average just lost 15 yards and the metric of average distance is useless for club selection.  So on the shot scope system if gives you P Average. Tossing out the junk. 

Which I don't use arccos so I don't know if that's an option that aeccos has or they use when publishing these "average numbers". If they don't toss the trash then it makes since that higher handicaps are not as consistent of ball strikers and there for the distance average is so low.

Which now that I've rambled. It's all comes back to the sample size and demographic that these stats represent.  I'm not saying they are wrong numbers i just don't feel that two data points is enough to measure myself against and say that it checks out. 

For example.  How about elevation.  

I'm 4500 feet. Are they correcting for that? I probably loose 15 to 20 yards at sea level.  

Great points and not going to argue. Except guys over 50 can drive it over 250 consistently. I’m 62 and I drive it 270 average and hit 4 or 5 over 300 every round. The bottom line this article shows most men don’t hit it as far as they think. However, if you can bomb it and keep it in play then your scores should drop. Much easier to hit 8 iron to GW then 5 and 6 iron!

Play like a champion today!

... Interesting and a good starting point but so many factors are left out of those stats. There is a pretty big difference between a scratch player at 30 and 70. Elevation can add a good 10 yards. Hard fast fairways can add 25yds. Hitting a drive at 105* and 65* can be another 10yds of difference. 

... So a player in Phoenix at 105* with 1086' of elevation on hard fast fairways could gain as much as 50yds with the same swing speed, spin and trajectory compared to someone in the south near the ocean playing at 65* and sea level with lush watered fairways. 

Edited by chisag

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

3 hours ago, bens197 said:

This was something Ryan and I discussed often. He’s found his unicorn with the Stealth / NEMSIS combo. IMO it’s the most difficult club to find which is why I often see most golfers find one and stick with it. It took me a long time to find one I love and it’s so nice to have some reliability without wondering which side of the planet I’ll end up hitting it towards. 

A while back i saw an article that asked tour players which club they are least likely to swap out and most said their 3w.  

Modern Bag:  :ping-small: G410 LST 10.5*, Hzrdus Smoke RDX 6.5 Flex;   :titelist-small:  915F 3w, Diamana S+ 70 S flex; :callaway-logo-1: Mavrik 18* 5w;  :mizuno-small: JPX 919 HM Pro 4i;  :mizuno-small: JPX 900 Forged 5 - PW, PX LZ 6.0;  Edison 2.0 49*, 53*, 57* KBS Tour 120 S;   :ping-small:  Heppler Fetch;  Ball - :Snell: MTB-X; Bag - Jones MyGolfSpy Edition! 

Shot Scope H4, MG600 Rangefinder

Classic Bag:  Driver - :wilson_staff_small: Persimmon; 3w - :Hogan: Speed Slot; 5w - :wilson_staff_small: Tour Block; 3 - pw - :wilson_staff_small: Dynapower; sw - Ram Tom Watson;  putter - bullseye standard or flange.

Just now, Shapotomous said:

A while back i saw an article that asked tour players which club they are least likely to swap out and most said their 3w.  

I could agree with that. I would say if you get a winning combo of club head and shaft then in a 3 wood it tends to stay in the bag. All other clubs can be benched!

Play like a champion today!

4 hours ago, Javs said:

Great points and not going to argue. Except guys over 50 can drive it over 250 consistently. I’m 62 and I drive it 270 average and hit 4 or 5 over 300 every round. The bottom line this article shows most men don’t hit it as far as they think. However, if you can bomb it and keep it in play then your scores should drop. Much easier to hit 8 iron to GW then 5 and 6 iron!

Yeah I wasn't saying older guys in general I was saying in my friend group. To be fair to the two guys I play with that are over 45 they are both retired navy and 100% disabled thru the VA. One has had 4 back surgeries and he gets almost 250 fairly regularly and his long shot is 265 to 270 when he gets it.  But he's also a 27 handicap which to my mind further brings into question the actual demographic of arccos 

I should be golfing instead of talking smack on the web.

I think articles like this are simply just interesting.  As everyone is mentioning, there are a variety of factors that play into these numbers but we also have to realize that these numbers are pulled from a shot tracking system that has approximately 1 BILLION shots; per posts from Lou Stagner.   The purpose of the articles is to help people manage expectations and provide understanding that not everyone hits the ball 300 yards and most golfers are shorter than most believe.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

As a former 270+ driver of the ball, I can relate to the ego drain/deflation of having lost a lot of distance over the last two years. It isn't just with the driver.... it's across the bag. I have had to consciencely make better course management decisions and really concentrate on the short game to keep my scores as they were. I struggled a lot with this early on, but I have actually gotten better at scoring because of it. I still have those days where I can get it out there 250+, but it's usually more like 235/240 these days. If anyone wants to know.... I'll be 65 on the 25th of Sept.

5 minutes ago, silver & black said:

As a former 270+ driver of the ball, I can relate to the ego drain/deflation of having lost a lot of distance over the last two years. It isn't just with the driver.... it's across the bag. I have had to consciencely make better course management decisions and really concentrate on the short game to keep my scores as they were. I struggled a lot with this early on, but I have actually gotten better at scoring because of it. I still have those days where I can get it out there 250+, but it's usually more like 235/240 these days. If anyone wants to know.... I'll be 65 on the 25th of Sept.

Happy early birthday!

I should be golfing instead of talking smack on the web.

IMG_1304.jpeg.5bcd3e29cbfaa0746b6daecdfb7165ac.jpegIMG_1303.jpeg.017ac3639cc3aefe7fc0eaa68eb3df0f.jpeg

So here we have two charts. Driver distance by Handicap and Driver distance by Age group. Looking at myself at age 65 with a 0.5 handicap.  As long as I hit it between 206 and 265 I’m where I should be. 60 yards is a big difference. 
So what does this really mean?  It means play golf have a good time and try to keep it in the fairway. 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:vice: Irons, Vice VGI01 Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex (6 - PW)

:vice: VGW01, 50 Degree. Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex, 

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

Putter, Sacks Parente Drac Center Shafted 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

So here we have two charts. Driver distance by Handicap and Driver distance by Age group. Looking at myself at age 65 with a 0.5 handicap.  As long as I hit it between 206 and 265 I’m where I should be. 60 yards is a big difference. 
So what does this really mean?  It means play golf have a good time and try to keep it in the fairway. 

... Haha good stuff Tom and even worse for me amigo as my driving distance is between 191 (4 iron) and 250. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:   :taylormade-small:   Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'Li Blue 70r
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Alta Hy70r 
Irons:       :taylormade-small:    P770 5-pw ... Steelfiber i80r
                  :taylormade-small:    TP UDi 4 ... Steelfiber i80r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :EVNROLL:     Custom 5.1 (no alignment)  33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X