Testers Wanted: Vice Golf Irons ×

Number of Testers
Signup Cutoff Date:
3,997 signups
Equipment Type: Irons
Vendor: Edel

Edel Golf SMS and SMS Pro Irons

Presenting the first set of irons truly fit to your swing.  Edel golf has designed the SMS and SMS Pro irons to take your game to the next level.

LZ9_0072.jpg

edel_2022_by_lucas_botz_1496.jpg      edel_2022_by_lucas_botz_1439.jpg

Every Edel SMS and SMS Pro Iron comes complete with:

-  Swing Match Weight Technology

-  Forged Hollow Body Construction to Unlock Adjustability and Distance with Plasma Welded Maraging Steel Face Cup for Even More Distance (SMS)

-  Or a Precision Grain Forging for Incredible Sound and Feel (SMS Pro)

-  Players Sole Grind for Turf Interaction Versatility (SMS) or a Tour Inspired Tri-Stepped Sole Design for Enhanced Turf Interaction (SMS Pro)

Would you like to put the Edel SMS or SMS Pro Irons to the test? 

For this review opportunity we are looking for 4 MGS Forum Members to test and keep the Edel Irons!

Testers will be able to chose from in-stock shaft options currently listed on Edel's website and can choose from SMS Irons, SMS Pro Irons, or a blended combo set of irons! 

Testers will also be expected to get fit on their own within a week of selection or provide their known specs to the mod team for ordering.

This Test is open to right-hand golfers located in the United States.

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Check out the Edel SMS reviews here

Be sure to check out the Forum Social Channels on Instagram & Twitter

309 Comments

16 hours ago, pozzit said:

Interesting Im sure there is fairly consistent delivery but I can see having differences from 4i to wedge that may be gradual. Also with a combo set there may be slight variation between the two. 

It likely isn't the full 6g shift but it may be a 2,4,6 or other combination of weights. I'm sure the 2,8,2 get the primary swing weight and 95% of the way there but having 5 different weights available means they can & should be used. 

When you did the testing was it only the 2g & 8g that you tried?

No, they tried a few different weights in the head, but it ended-up a shaft issue for me. During the prototype testing they didn’t have a full matrix of shafts so we never settled on an exact set-up for me and I was going to have to go back to HQ once they got the full-set of offerings. 

15 hours ago, BostonSal said:

I don't think that it's totally unusual for one to pull short irons when not pulling long and middle ones particularly.

I'm not a slicer, but if one does have that problem, the outside-in or over-the-top swing that produces the slice could result in a dead pull with shorter clubs.

Just a personal observation, but not necessarily accurate.  

True, for sure, but I will say in my testing of the SMS wedges first, and then the irons, there is a distinct “ah-ha” moment when the weights are in the spots that match your swing, it’s a truly noticeable feel as well as in the performance. Would it be possible that my SMS wedges could have the heavy weight in the toe, and with irons in the middle? I think so. From the iron fitting, seeing closure rates, impact areas, etc I just don’t see moving that much weight between heads in a set unless the impact position throughout the set is drastically different. If one hits off the heel at one end of the bag, and toe at the other end? Hmmmmm. 

1 minute ago, richk9holes said:

If they're looking for someone to hit on the toe, I'm the guy. We have any heel testers in here?

You know what’s interesting? You might not hit in the toe after a fitting with these… I saw impact move across the face because of the movement of the weights, so it’s plausible your toe stops or at least lessens.

11 minutes ago, PMookie said:

You know what’s interesting? You might not hit in the toe after a fitting with these… I saw impact move across the face because of the movement of the weights, so it’s plausible your toe stops or at least lessens.

TXG did some really good videos on these and agreed with that assessment.  Worth a watch.

Im curious on fitting experience as well, has anyone demo or had any fittin at club champion or Golftec those tend to be stored they work with. Wonder how well they do with weight adjustment and set makeup. Like mentioned above they may only have 7i available. 

9 hours ago, PMookie said:

Even if you don’t get selected, it would be worth finding a fitter! ☺️

I’ve never had a desire to do an iron fitting, I like to tinker and experiment but these look like the first ones I would get fit for and could make a genuine difference. 

On 4/8/2023 at 9:44 AM, pozzit said:

Im curious on fitting experience as well, has anyone demo or had any fittin at club champion or Golftec those tend to be stored they work with. Wonder how well they do with weight adjustment and set makeup. Like mentioned above they may only have 7i available. 

I asked Club Champion ([email protected]) what their process was for the SMS irons and this was their response:

"At this time, we do only have the 6 iron club head component for the iron fitting of the Edel SMS irons.  We will absolutely help get you dialed in on the proper shafts and how the weight distribution should be.  Then, Edel has a full breakdown, based on your results, on how the rest of the set should be ordered."

Not sure how other fitters handle it but I would assume for most it would be cost effective to only have the 6/7 iron on hand, and then dial in the moveable weights for the clubs once you actually buy/receive the clubs.

Only one more day until testers are announced!

11 minutes ago, Bucky CC said:

I asked Club Champion ([email protected]) what their process was for the SMS irons and this was their response:

"At this time, we do only have the 6 iron club head component for the iron fitting of the Edel SMS irons.  We will absolutely help get you dialed in on the proper shafts and how the weight distribution should be.  Then, Edel has a full breakdown, based on your results, on how the rest of the set should be ordered."

Not sure how other fitters handle it but I would assume for most it would be cost effective to only have the 6/7 iron on hand, and then dial in the moveable weights for the clubs once you actually buy/receive the clubs.

Thanks for the intel! Super helpful!

24 minutes ago, Bucky CC said:

So definitely driving the 2.5 hours to the Edel Machine shop, if at all possible in the timeframe should I get the privilege to test them. 

33 minutes ago, Bucky CC said:

As much as I'd love fitters to have full sets, this seems like how everyone would handle it.  Your swing weight isn't likely to be changing throughout the set (unless you go MOI matched) and in the case you still have the total weight needed for each club.  Then a good gapping session with all the clubs is probably the best way to tweak weight positions once you have the full set.

Who's getting excited!?  I know I am! 👀

21 minutes ago, Bucky CC said:

Yea I have been debating about calling the Club champion or Golftec that are about 2 hours away and asking them for their process/knowledge but have been holding back until we know the testers. I would want to call the fitters themselves to get detail of what they actually have and what variables the can throw in. I would assume its covers a majority of the clubs with the single club fitting and the golfer will likely learn what feels best on weight position and can move the other if they feel necessary.  I have done my fair share of research... can't get these out of my head. I'm surprised how few Youtube reviews I can find and only a handful of articles that give good detail on the experience of these clubs. 

Yea cost effective and storage constraints if they needed even 3 clubs from each company would triple what they need to store and all it would allow them is a better ability to benefit blended sets which wouldn't really earn them any more money.

I won't be distracted at all tomorrow refreshing the page every 10 mins. Good luck everyone and know the pressure is on for you to write an informative review because there are many of us curious to see how they are in real testers' hands.

4 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

As much as I'd love fitters to have full sets, this seems like how everyone would handle it.  Your swing weight isn't likely to be changing throughout the set (unless you go MOI matched) and in the case you still have the total weight needed for each club.  Then a good gapping session with all the clubs is probably the best way to tweak weight positions once you have the full set.

I think you have it right - it would be ideal to do a “regular” fitting and then do a second to adjust weights when inevitable differences reveal themselves due to different shaft lengths.  The customization possibilities make these irons very intriguing.  I agree with you - I am eagerly awaiting this test.  

I can’t wait for folks to follow along on this one just because they’ll finally see this isn’t “smoke-and-mirrors”, that Edel is on to something with this technology. There are SO many golfers that think if a big-boy isn’t doing it then it must not really work… It’s going to be cool to see MGS’ers react when they see results from weight movement. Yep, TXG did a great video, and even folks like me who have gone through the fitting can say what changed each time the weights moved, but people still doubt it. Yep. I can’t wait for more eyes to open…

10 minutes ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

Even though Edel doesn't make the SMS irons for lefties, I am still really excited to follow along with this test. I think the results are going to be so cool as far as how moving the weights in the heads will help testers improve their contact patterns!

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_BOS said:

I had that same moment of "oh wow" when we got the weight dialed in the right spot.  Just pure buttery softness.  And that was in the cold! 

Love hearing this - always been intrigued by Edel and can't wait to see the outcomes of this test!!!

5 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I'm looking forward to seeing who the four members are who get chosen for this test. I guess there is an advantage to being up at 4 in the morning. 

Let us know who won!!! 😜

7 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I'm looking forward to seeing who the four members are who get chosen for this test. I guess there is an advantage to being up at 4 in the morning. 

I dont know if they have a specific time to announce. If so please share. So exited for the testers.

This Test is now closed to further comments.