Testers Wanted! Takomo Long Game Clubs ×

Number of Testers
Signup Cutoff Date:
3,120 signups
Equipment Type: Irons
Vendor: MacGregor

MacGregor Golf is back and has a new line of irons by way of the MT86 OS Irons and MT86 Pro Irons

Screenshot 2023-03-12 15.35.01.png

We can trace our roots all the way back to 1829, with the founders of the company, a pair of English immigrants and expert woodworkers, opening a factory in Dayton OH.

The company initially started as a producer of hand carved wooden shoe lasts, pioneering a new lathe-based technique for producing lasts faster and more accurately than anyone around.

From 1875 to 1897, the company began a transformation. Two new partners were brought on; John McGregor, an expat from St Andrews, Scotland and a die-hard golfer, as well as Edward Canby, who soon became obsessed with the game.

In 1897, the partnership began the manufacture of traditional golf shafts and clubs, one of America's very first club manufacturers.

MacGregor clubs proved popular with both professionals and amateurs alike, with hundreds of thousands of clubs being sold around the world.

The company emerged from the Great Depression with new ownership and management, who sought the services of the legendary Tommy Armour, who in turn brought his assistant Toney Penna, and tour pros Jimmy Demaret, Byron Nelson and Ben Hogan. This was a formidable team; during the 1950s, MacGregor was the number one club and ball on tour. 

A period of innovation and growth followed which led the company to its most iconic partnership with Jack Nicklaus. Besides dominating on the course, Mr. Nicklaus was heavily involved with the management and direction of the company, and even ended up owning the company and bringing stability after a period of mismanagement. 

image.png

Since conception, MacGregor clubs have been used to win an incredible 59 majors in the hands and bags of all time greats like Jack Nicklaus and Greg Norman.

Now, though our pedigree runs nearly two centuries, our approach is thoroughly modern. Uncompromising quality shipped direct to the consumer for simply unbeatable prices. We're here to put the MacGregor back on the map, and truly make it The Greatest Name in Golf once more.

image.png

We are looking for 4 Forum Testers (2 OS & 2 Pro) to test and keep these incredible irons!

This test is open to RH and US only Forum Members

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

New to the Forum? Interested in how we select our testers and want to increase your opportunity at being selected in this or future tests? READ MORE HERE!

153 Comments

I played Macgregor forged blades ( 2 different models) from about 1992 til about 2015. Loved them but as age crept up on me I ended up switching to cast cavity back irons. Looking for new irons a couple years ago tried (fitted) Taylormade sim 2 max and had major problems. Used them one season then sold them and bought the DTC 2022 Ben Hogan Edge ex irons. Forged Cavity backs! Love them but probably would have done Macgregor had they been available then. But do love my new Hogans although they closed their doors within a couple months after receiving them! Would love to try the new Macgregor’s to compare!

Wow! This will be a great test. I have seen these irons and want to see how the people chosen feel about them and how they hit them. Good luck everyone.

Gorgeous irons with a wonderful history! Really hoping to get picked for this test to help bring Macgregor back where they belong in the golf world! Have a vintage 1 iron that I love to break out once in awhile at the range. 

I have long had a love affair with some of the MacGregor forgings, and hope to see if these live up.  The 1025c remains one of my all time favorite irons.

Good luck to all who apply. These are some really nice looking Irons.

Be kinda nice to see MacGregor makes its way back into favour in the golf community!!

Have a few wedges that I bought at an estate sale a few years ago. The A and 60 were never used, still wrapped. I use the 60, but prefer my Cleveland A wedge. I would love the opportunity to test the OS irons.

It would be absolutly awesome to try the Pro blade Tourney irons I am left handed an play the FTX Apex from Hogan, and this is my type of player blade shape..I'm up to test them 4, 5 times a week no doubt! 

IMG_20230604_222652.jpg

Totally didn't see this test opportunity coming.  So cool that McGregor is part of this years forum testing 😍.  A big shoutout to the folks at McGregor for making this possible 👏.  Good luck all.

I actually reached out to MacGregor as I played their clubs years ago.  I played an iron very similar to shape as the Pro Version as well as Old Persimmon super Eyeomatic driver.  They said they do have an option for testing a couple of their irons at a time, approximately $180.  I like the shape, the muscle back design which I have been playing similar irons for over 40 years.  I despise the big gear effect irons with large massed heads and offsets.  The clubs look like the clubs I used to play years ago.

I have a set of 3-GW of 2008 McGregor MT forged irons. This was the last set they produced as an independent company when owned byGreg Norman, if I remember the company history (reviewed by MGS?).

The MT are a fine set, I like the design (progressive cavity back whose faces and soles get larger and wider with increasing loft, and a triangle shaped support in the middle of the face. Similar to the Taylor Made 2005 LT forged irons except with a cavity.

I also owned for a very short time a set of new forged MT blades that were virtually un-hittable for me due to absolutely no forgiveness. Beautiful to look at however.

Anyway, I look forward to being selected for the trial.

This Test is now closed to further comments.