Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

BestGrips/Zalbert's WIYB

Review 220.jpg

Current Line up (as of 2/14/14) in the FCO III:

Check latest post for updates

D:  SLDR 430 9.0 (set to 10.0) w/ Speeder Motore 65g Stiff and Black MicroPerf with Red Skull and Crossbones (Red Stitch)

-or-

D:  XTD 10.5 (set to 10.0) w/ Matix Ozik Red Tie Stiff (Tour issue) and Black MicroPerf (Black Stitch)

Fw:  XTD Ti Hybrid 15.0 w/ Matrix Ozik Altus Stiff (Tour issue) and Black MicroPerf (Black Stitch)

H:  DHY 18.0 w/ Matrix Ozik Altus Stiff (Tour issue) and Black MicroPerf (Black Stitch)

I:  s55 3-Pw Blue dot w/ CFS Stiff and LTD BG Green MicroPerf (Yellow Stitch)

W:  Mack Daddy 2 54/14 S w/ TT Stiff and Hardcourt (Black Stitch)

W:  Mack Daddy 2 60/10 C w/ TT Stiff and LTD BG Green MicroPerf (Yellow Stitch)

P:  Concept 3L w/ Superman Emboss White Carbon Fiber Pistol (kryptonite stitch - Green and Lime Green)

Reserves:

3 Deep 14.5 w/ Speeder XStiff and Tan Gridiron

Callaway X Utility 18.5 w/ TT DG SL and BestGrips Tan Classic (Southwestern U stamping)

Navy Billboard Bag (currently being customized)

Review 231.jpg

The Clubs:

Bought a set of irons over the Christmas holidays and a snafu led to the addition of the SLDR 430. The irons are much more forgiving than the CMB and some of the softest, purest irons I have ever hit. Can you believe it isn't forged??? Went with blue dots after the fitting, but I may double check them in the next week or two. So far they have performed exactly like I wanted them to. Much higher than the CMB w/ Ctapers.

The driver was interesting addition. I'm not a big TMAG fan, but this driver is really nice. I'm getting huge launch, with less spin and getting much better carry and roll than ever before. So far I haven't missed a fairway yet.

The Super LS hybrid is a pure beast and may not even be legal. I got it from a friend at Adams and it is a beast. I hit longer than any fairway and its much easier to smoke of the turf.

The i20 was the star of the Texas Open Mudfest. In the pouring rain while the other participants were enjoying the woods and ladies tees, I was popping it right down the fairway. A tragic snafu with it in conference of my last year in college means that it is always on the hot seat.

Just got the Mack Daddy 2 wedges really sweet. Loving the face and the grind. I have the U grind in the lob. I've been in love with the U grind since Roger Cleveland made me a prototype after first moving to Callaway. Those wedges are now illegal for comp, but these have the same feel.

Ahh. The concept 3L. This bad boy is a prototype from a German company poised for success. I cannot go into any specifics about it, however, anyone that has given it a go on the putting green was pretty shocked. I at first thought that it couldn't be legal, but it is! Absolutely deadly from inside of 10 ft. I have no doubt that this tech will be highly coveted when the majors find out about it.

Unlike most OEM's, there is some real science behind it, not painful and advertising. Downside, it may be one of the most expensive, non-super exclusive scotty on the site. I may be translating incorrectly (took 4 years of german in college), but the price tag is $1500.

Review 223.jpg

The Grips:

Of course all of the grips are Best Grips. Right now there is only one proto in the bag (white Carbon fiber, and it's still squeaky clean 6 months later), everything else is standard stuff. Gridirons on the woods, MicroPerfs on the irons and Carbon Fiber on the Putter. I've been saying I was going to custom laser engrave a set, but haven't had the time. 

Review 219.jpg

The Head covers:

I'm currently switching back and forth between the Superman and The Patriotic Wave for the Driver. The Superman is really cool (even has a red cape). On the Super LS is a James Bond themed tuxedo with 003 (with gun) as the number. The hybrid cover is a mess up I made, ran the stitch through the name and had to make another. My name is not secretly Brian Golden (lol). The Puttershoe is a custom design solely for Braun and Wessner.

Review 239.jpg

Other Notes:

Really loving the New Balance golf shoes. I have wide feet and they are a perfect fit.

Favorite Club:

Review 238.jpg

The Putter!

Review 225.jpg

Review 226.jpg

Review 228.jpg

Review 236.jpg

@bestgrips   @puttershoes

Best Grips is a second generation family business specializing in golf grips! We are the home of the only made in the USA (Texas to be specific) genuine leather golf grips and head covers. No fancy words, pictures or endorsements with BestGrips.com, just the best performing golf grips money can buy!

Check out the new site (www.bestgrips.com)!
Use "golfspy" for free shipping on all U.S. orders over $50!

What's in my BG custom club glove staff bag? Click here.

Current ball of choice: 'Stones three three zero.

Only one picture of the fabled putter though?!

Great bag!

Driver: TaylorMade R9 9.5* with a Diamana Kai'li 70 S shaft

Fairway: TaylorMade R9 TP 13* with Graphite Design Tour AD YSQ-st X flex

UtilityWilson Staff FYbrid 19.5* Aldila RIP Sigma Stiff

Irons: Wilson Staff FG Tour V2 KBS Tour X flex 4-pw (soft-stepped)

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Putter: Yes! Abbie Tour Forged Pro Series 33" 

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour, Maxfli U4

Bag: Wilson Staff NeXus 100th Anniversary carry bag

Backup Irons: Wilson Staff FG-17 Tour Blades with TT Dynamic Stiff 3-PW

Backup Utility: Mizuno MP-H4 2 iron TT Dynamic Gold R300

Backup Putter: Pro Gear CG 100 33" (Pro Gear is what turned into Yes!)

Only one picture of the fabled putter though?!

Great bag!

I've been warned about giving too much info away. I thought about painting it with that reflective coating, but that would be overkill. You are lucky it doesn't say redacted!!

Thanks for the compliment on the bag!

Best Grips is a second generation family business specializing in golf grips! We are the home of the only made in the USA (Texas to be specific) genuine leather golf grips and head covers. No fancy words, pictures or endorsements with BestGrips.com, just the best performing golf grips money can buy!

Great bag Zach. I'm playing the s56 and I love them! All they need now is some BestGrips!

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

Great bag Zach. I'm playing the s56 and I love them! All they need now is some BestGrips!

Ping makes some sweet sweet sweet irons.

I might know a guy. Hahaha. Seriously though, MicroPerf is the way to go.

I'll give you more info on the fabled putter...............he doesn't miss with it.  I seriously don't remember him missing a putt inside of 15' at the Texas Open.

Nice looking setup, btw, love those S55s.

Thanks for the compliments bones!

Ping makes some sweet sweet sweet irons.

I might know a guy. Hahaha. Seriously though, MicroPerf is the way to go.

There on my wish list! For sure!!

MY BAG-

Driver- Taylormade SLDR 12* (Speeder 7.2vc tour spec S)

3 Wood- Taylormade R11(bimatrix prototype S)

3 Hybrid- Ping I20(stock S)

Irons-Taylormade Tour Perferred MC ( C Taper S)

Wedges- 50, 54, and 58 SCOR4161( KBS)

Putter-Taylormade Ghost Corza.

All Left Handed!

Love the bag Zach! Great choice with the Pings, bet you're glad to be out of the c-tapers lol

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Are they the same Braun family that makes shavers too? The tungsten discs impregnated in the filled cavities does make for an interesting perimeter weighting idea though.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I saw the new clubs up close and personal yesterday they are really good looking. The shafts in the irons fit Zach much better. He hits it higher now. The driver is a beast. He was very accurate, although there were a couple missed fairways. It is much longer, We went from hitting it similar distance to him putting a good one out there 20 yards past me. I'm believing the slider ain't hype. This is also the third time I've seen the putter and It does work very well for him. I heard a little about why it is awesome and it probably is the next logical thing that putter companies should use for tech next. Finally, my handicap says 1.5 and Zach's says 2 but he is a better golfer than me. We've played three times now and this time was on home turf and while I hang in there on the back 9 he waxed me on the front.

We are also in agreement that early spring needs to bring with it Texas Open II

It's all about the short game, unless you can't keep it in play!

What's in my Bag:
Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS 10.5 with Excalibur T7+ tour stiff shaft
3 Wood: Adams Speedline Super LS 13 degree with Excalibur TFW Tour stiff shaft
Hybrid: Nickent 6DT 19 degree Aldilla Voodoo NV Stiff shaft
Irons: 4-9 KZG Tour Evolution with Nippon N.S. Pro Modus 3 tour 120 x flex shafts
Wedges:49 degree Dave Pelz wedge with a Nippon N.S. Pro Modus tour 120 x flex shaft. 54,64 Dave Pelz wedges with Rifle spinner shafts 59 Degree Scor wedge with rifle spinner shaft.
Putter: Bentinardi Ben Hogan Big Ben Center shafted 33 inches with best grips custom pistol putter grip.

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X, Callaway Hex Chrome +

Very nice bag.

Thanks whiskey

Love the bag Zach! Great choice with the Pings, bet you're glad to be out of the c-tapers lol

I am loving the CFS shafts. So much easier to play than the C-Tapers and much longer.

Are they the same Braun family that makes shavers too? The tungsten discs impregnated in the filled cavities does make for an interesting perimeter weighting idea though.

You know what, I don't know. I think it is a common name. Cannot wait to be able to talk more about the tech behind this think. I deal with a lot of OEM's. This guy is playing chess with his tech, while everyone else is playing checkers.

I saw the new clubs up close and personal yesterday they are really good looking. The shafts in the irons fit Zach much better. He hits it higher now. The driver is a beast. He was very accurate, although there were a couple missed fairways. It is much longer, We went from hitting it similar distance to him putting a good one out there 20 yards past me. I'm believing the slider ain't hype. This is also the third time I've seen the putter and It does work very well for him. I heard a little about why it is awesome and it probably is the next logical thing that putter companies should use for tech next. Finally, my handicap says 1.5 and Zach's says 2 but he is a better golfer than me. We've played three times now and this time was on home turf and while I hang in there on the back 9 he waxed me on the front.

We are also in agreement that early spring needs to bring with it Texas Open II

Thanks Rickles!

Let's get this TO II set up!

Made a grip change and I absolutely love it!!!!  Put a Hardcourt on the 54* Mack Daddy. WOW!

Made a grip change and I absolutely love it!!!! Put a Hardcourt on the 54* Mack Daddy. WOW!

Pictures or it didn't happen lol

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

I have a lot of new pics on the computer that I will upload tonight. In the mean time... Oh boy what's in here...

20140123_123959.jpg

I have a lot of new pics on the computer that I will upload tonight. In the mean time... Oh boy what's in here...

20140123_123959.jpg

Awesome! Maybe you can make two of the custom puttershoes I've been having your dad put together for me. Have you seen what I'm talking about?

Wedges: Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 50* (standard grind, bent to 51*) TT DG Spinner, 56* and 60* (tour grinds, bent to 55* and 59*) Dynamic Gold Wedge flex

Awesome! Maybe you can make two of the custom puttershoes I've been having your dad put together for me. Have you seen what I'm talking about?

You've been talking to me Paul S. Hahahaha I've always wanted to try a yes! Putter. Everyone raves about them.

You've been talking to me Paul S. Hahahaha I've always wanted to try a yes! Putter. Everyone raves about them.

And you sign your emails as Albert? I thought that was your dad. Hahahaha, oh well, I guess you know what I'm talking about then. Either way, I've got two, and I've already got one more in mind. Good decision!

And you sign your emails as Albert? I thought that was your dad. Hahahaha, oh well, I guess you know what I'm talking about then. Either way, I've got two, and I've already got one more in mind. Good decision!

Yep! My middle name is zach. First is albert. 

As requested by Mr_Theoo...

Here is the 54*'s new grip, the Hardcourt (same leather used to make basketballs).

mgs 196.jpg

Here are a few other shots:

The White Carbon Fiber Putter Grip after 6 months (looks brand new).

mgs 204.jpg

And my new hat.

mgs 201.jpg

That hardcourt grip looks awesome

I'm looking forward to seeing what's in the box, I just got a Yes Putter not too long ago and I'm liking it a lot.

The label is a little misleading. It is from the same company, but it isn't a putter. 

That hardcourt grip looks awesome

You've experienced the gridiron. This is so different it is crazy. LOVE it on sandy.

The label is a little misleading. It is from the same company, but it isn't a putter. 

What does Yes! make that isn't a putter?

Archived