Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Titleist Irons with Degrees

t5timesb

As I was working through my daily rummaging of eBay looking for some steals, I ran across some Titleist DCI Gold Irons (see below)!  I used to hit the 962s, but never the DCI Gold Irons.  I am not sure I would want to, but something caught my eye, the irons had degrees on top as well as the iron number.

Why did Titleist stopping doing this?  Was it too confusing having both?  Was it marketing the next year lowering the loft a few degrees to claim they were longer?

I mean, my driver has a degree, my hybrid & wedges do, why not the irons?  Could a OEM do this again or would golfers even be able to learn this if they took the iron number off all together?

1000x1000.jpg

driver -  Titleist 913D3 8.5 Diamana Black X 72g 
hybrid -  Adams IDEA Pro A7 17 degree
irons -   Ben Hogan 3-8 APEX FTX 
scoring clubs - SCOR4161 43, 47, 51, 55, 59
putter -  Odyssey Tour Black #2
ball -  Titleist ProV1x

A friend of mine has Cleveland CG16 tour irons that have the same thing but on the toe.

I think it's a great looking feature, but these are the last irons I've seen with this. I think the model is about 3-4 years old?

Either way it would be nice to have when someone with loft-jacked irons crushes the "same iron" by you, until they realize theirs is 4* stronger  :P

post-24339-0-03711000-1319511288_thumb.j

Driver: Ping G25 9.5° TFC Tour X-stiff w/New Decade Multicompound Whiteout/Red

Fairway Wood: 3w Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tour 13° Aldila RIP X-stiff w/New Decade Multicompound Black/Red

Hybrid: 3h Tour Edge Exotics CB4 Tour 19° Aldila RIP X-stiff w/New Decade Multicompound Black/Red

Irons: Cobra Amp Cell Pro's 4i-PW KBS C-Taper X-stiff + 1/2" w/New Decade Multicompound Whiteout/Black

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM4's 50°, 54°, 58° DG S300's +1/2" w/New Decade Multicompound Whitout/Black

Putter: Nike Method 001 34" w/SuperStroke Mid-Slim White/Red

Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x

As I was working through my daily rummaging of eBay looking for some steals, I ran across some Titleist DCI Gold Irons (see below)!  I used to hit the 962s, but never the DCI Gold Irons.  I am not sure I would want to, but something caught my eye, the irons had degrees on top as well as the iron number.

Why did Titleist stopping doing this?  Was it too confusing having both?  Was it marketing the next year lowering the loft a few degrees to claim they were longer?

I mean, my driver has a degree, my hybrid & wedges do, why not the irons?  Could a OEM do this again or would golfers even be able to learn this if they took the iron number off all together?

1000x1000.jpg

With the loft, length of the club and the lie angle stamped on it, I would say this is a demo club from their fitting cart.  Pretty common back then.  This club is about 0.75 inches shorter and 3 degrees flat.   

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I get that, but the degree was on the DCI's, demo or not.  Ignore the length and lie.  My bad.

It would be pretty cool if they just listed the degree though.

ball -  Titleist ProV1x

Agreed!  I think we had that discussion on another thread.  It would be much easier to compare clubs, even current vs older clubs of the same manufacturer.  I think the number on a club has outlived its usefulness.  Now there are even different degrees for 3 & 5 fw, and they don't call them 4 fw either, what's with that.   It was more fun to say niblick, mashie, spoon, brassie!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

i agree kenny - do you have the link to the other thread? I be interested in reading more...

ball -  Titleist ProV1x

It's been mentioned several times in both the blog and forum.  Not sure what search parameters would be to find all of them, but here is one to start with.

http://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/9542-jacked-up-lofts-in-clubs-are-ruining-the-games-of-most-golfers/?hl=%2Biron+%2Bdegree

I used to play the DCI blacks back in my youth. Had a great friend that built his own clubs but they had the loft stamped on. Even back then we realized his clubs were all 4 degrees stronger. We stopped asking what number are you hitting and just answered with what loft we were hitting. The iron number on the bottom is meaningless.

Even when people ask now what club I am hitting I just answer in yardage. I hit 160 or I hit 185. It should be more important than the number

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Ahhh, the DCI golds, the first set of clubs I bought. I had a set of rams that my mother's co-worker let me borrow to get started in the game.

I saved for 4 months to buy them without spending hardly any of the money I had coming in from my job.

Worth every penny.

"I'd play a ladies set of clubs if it allowed me to break par."

PING G410 LST Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6

Titleist 17, 19, and 21 degree 818 H2 Hybrids

Ping G700 5 - GW

Titleist Vokey SM7 54 Wedge

Titleist Vokey SM7 58 Wedge

Evenroll ER3

Snell MTB-X

The problem with having the degrees marked on the irons is what happens if you have them custom bent.  Then the number stamped on them is no longer right.  I had my 56* bent to 53* because it matched my 60* and I wanted less loft. 

Now it might as well have a number 11 or 12 on it as the degrees.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Expect to see degrees stamped on some new irons in 2015.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Expect to see degrees stamped on some new irons in 2015.

I like the sound of that.

ball -  Titleist ProV1x

Archived