EthanSterlingPrice

Most important part of YOUR game?

For me it's easy chipping and pitching. I hit the ball long and pretty straight and I putt well. If I miss a green it's almost a for sure bogey. I average about 12 greens a round but only get up and down about 40% of the time.

• Like 2

For me it's keeping the tee ball in the short grass. If I can do that, I expect that I'll get GIR and be putting for birdie or at least par.

• Like 1

Without question, the most important part of my game is getting out of bed in a state of relative straightness and not looking like a pretzel. 

That means that I'll be able to play that day!

• Like 5

Driving and putting. My putting keeps me in games. That's when I can go really low if I'm swinging well. Recently though my driving has been awful. I can't figure it out. That has led to me not being able to break 90 after shooting 85 or so for months on end.

Without question, the most important part of my game is getting out of bed in a state of relative straightness and not looking like a pretzel. 

Good point Nifty, to be honest I took the condition of the body and the mind for granted.

For me driving is what gets my score low. When I have a good driving day I don't hit anything over 9i into the greens on par 4 and rarely anything over a 5i on par 5 unless they are really long.

• Like 2

I'm with you Nifty. My Father used tosay "any day you can put both feet on the ground is gonna be a good day."

That said, I honestly think that getting my Tee shot down the middle of the fairway so that I have an opportunity to go for the green. Since I switched to the Paderson shaft, I can depend upon my drive being down the middle.

• Like 1

So that's what I to look forward to next year?  A pretzel?  

• Like 1

Playing from the forward tees, my wife finished this last GHIN season at 17.4; I don't think she will ever move out to the fairway.  She wants the HCP rating because we play so many courses, and she wants to see how her HCP travels.  She hits her good drives about 170 and she is always in the middle of the fairway.  On some courses, she runs into trouble with forced carries over hazards and elevated greens.  Chipping is good, but putting could be improved.

I'm not ready to move up either.  Although it is fun to hit driver and a short iron, that's not going to happen on most courses where we travel.  Long clubs are harder for me to hit which is why I need the best short game I can get.

OK I can see it with what you and her are doing. Now one of my pet peeves on some course designs that make difficult forced carries for the average golfer

• Like 1

OK I can see it with what you and her are doing. Now one of my pet peeves on some course designs that make difficult forced carries for the average golfer

I have played a few courses with my wife where, after a good drive, she will layup on the next shot on a Par 4 because she isn't close enough to the water to carry it and there is no bail out area.  She particularly hates those holes.  The other issue she has is elevated greens with big deep bunkers in front.  She will aim way left or right to miss the bunkers or lay up if she doesn't have the length to cover the bunkers.  However, I have seen her run a shot up a narrow slot between bunkers!  It's funny... I have played a few holes where I am faced with the same situation she faces, but instead of laying up, I just say: "I've got this shot" when in fact I don't.  Male ego, I guess.

• Like 3

^^^ Seems like she knows her game and is not afraid to take a risk-- I like that! And the part you described about laying up on a par 4 with no bailout area is exactly what I am talking about with the course design. We have quite a few courses here that I feel are not designed to be fair to the average recreational golfer

^^^ Seems like she knows her game and is not afraid to take a risk-- I like that! And the part you described about laying up on a par 4 with no bailout area is exactly what I am talking about with the course design. We have quite a few courses here that I feel are not designed to be fair to the average recreational golfer

There's one like that at my home course. It turns into a 3 shot par 5. The second shot from the whites even after a 250 yard drive is 230 and from 190-210. the average golfer has no choice but to hit a lay up. Even a shorter 10 digit handicap has no chance at that distance. I like a hole that has multiple ways of attacking it and choosing to be aggressive or be the hero.

Case in point... a course my wife and I played a course in Oregon a few years ago; the name escapes me.  My wife is a good straight hitter, but not overly long (Hey! She just turned 60).  She's playing the forward tees, and her average driver distance is 160ish.  A creek runs all the way across the fairway on this Par 4 at (you guessed it... 160 from the tee).  So, she lays up with her 3W off the tee.  The problem is her second shot over the creek to the green is 160 yards!  She can't get there unless she tees it up in the fairway and hits driver.  Clearly, the golf course designer said: "Golfers hitting from the forward tees should be able to hit the ball 175, right?"

My tee shots, for me when I score play well it comes down to GIRs. To hit those greens I have to keep the ball play. If I can do that "normally" everything else falls into to place. Of course, there are those rounds where I couldn't hit a barn door from 20 yards.

For me, the difference between a really good day and any other day is my iron play.  I drive the ball reasonable straight, and a decent distance.  My putting and short game are usually decent, sometimes real good.  The key to having a really solid round for me is hitting my irons consistently on the green, and leaving at least a few decent birdie putts.  

Taking the question a different way, the most important part of my game in staying at the general level I'm at is driving.  I hit solid drives in or near the fairway pretty consistently, and its hard to make really bad scores after a good drive.  

Putting can occasionally save a bad ball-striking round, or make a so-so round into a good one, but its hard to save more than a couple of strokes on the green.  Its easy to LOSE six or eight if the driver starts going off the golf course.

• Like 1

For me, the difference between a really good day and any other day is my iron play. I drive the ball reasonable straight, and a decent distance. My putting and short game are usually decent, sometimes real good. The key to having a really solid round for me is hitting my irons consistently on the green, and leaving at least a few decent birdie putts.

Taking the question a different way, the most important part of my game in staying at the general level I'm at is driving. I hit solid drives in or near the fairway pretty consistently, and its hard to make really bad scores after a good drive.

Putting can occasionally save a bad ball-striking round, or make a so-so round into a good one, but its hard to save more than a couple of strokes on the green. Its easy to LOSE six or eight if the driver starts going off the golf course.

very good answer, I think that's about the same as me. If I hit greens that takes a ton of pressure off the rest of my game.
  • Like 1