What/How Did You Practice Today?

null

Course was closed for a special event so did some range work - LW, GW, 7i and old Bertha Mini 1.5 which is back in the bag for some of the doglegs on my new course. Actually hitting that thing fairly decently!

Started out trying to hit the GW out of a shallow practice bunker to about 30 yds .. kinda 50-50 there (work in progress!).

Starting to hit the 7i fairly ok, too .. when I take my time and am careful not to sway going back and complete the turn back and extend my arms coming into impact while keeping in my golf posture and turning the shoulders while continuing to shift the weight/pressure targetward and... and.... 😉

Then some time on the chipping green, again with the GW plus the putter, trying to play up & down .. less than 50-50 there (another big work in progress!).

WITB of an "aspiring"   play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max (
Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue 45/A*)
3W...Callaway Bertha Mini 1.5 (ProForce V2 HL 5F3)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha '19 (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
SW, LW...Mizuno ES21 54-08, 60-06 (KBS Hi Rev 2.0)
Putter...
MLA Tour XDream or EvnRoll ER5
...all in a Bag Boy hybrid bag on an MGI Zip Navigator.
..ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour/Tour S. Or a found Pro V1/x.

* (current) Forum tester for the Newton Motion driver shaft (2024)
Forum tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)
Other tests: MLA putter; Cleveland Hi Bore driver; Ben Hogan hybrids.

20231223_133657.jpg.960669f48157ee1fbafde043ef7f132a.jpg

For Sale in Classifieds: SkyTrak home launch monitor in excellent condition

6 hours ago, Rob Person said:

Oh Boy do i feel this!  I stopped (mostly) from trying to over swing/ over reach at the top, and my accuracy has improved 

Ive lost a very little amouunt of distance, but my contact and impact has also improved.

Keep working at it!

Well said Rob….I’ve found similar results when making changes, may lose some initial distances but the better accuracy leads to a more confident swing where often more distance with better accuracy happens.  

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Day 274 (17 Oct 24) - semi-monthly walking of nine holes today.  Went this morning after helping the wife with her students on a math project around assembly of a couple of storage shelf units (was a blast working with the kids).  Air was brisk but breezy (solid hurting wind going out, wee doggy helping wind coming back), course is fall pristine and not busy - played up as set of tees as I had 3w and 4h as the only long clubs, focus was on iron play.  Love these working on the swing, distance control sessions - thar calls for focused course management.

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

1 hour ago, Willie T said:

Day 274 (17 Oct 24) - semi-monthly walking of nine holes today.  Went this morning after helping the wife with her students on a math project around assembly of a couple of storage shelf units (was a blast working with the kids).  Air was brisk but breezy (solid hurting wind going out, wee doggy helping wind coming back), course is fall pristine and not busy - played up as set of tees as I had 3w and 4h as the only long clubs, focus was on iron play.  Love these working on the swing, distance control sessions - thar calls for focused course management.

What are you getting for distances? I find with the hybrids off the box, I have to barely tee it up off the grass to get anything decent from them.

Went to the range after yard work today. Didn't make it quite to 300 balls, but did manage 2.5 large buckets before they closed the range due to a busted sprinkler on the range deck. (Wasn't me!)

Only used driver, 3w, 19⁰ and 21⁰ hybrids. Sort of figured out the driver issue i was having yesterday after about 40 balls.  For some reason I was doing good on my takeaway routine, but for some reason in the downswing my elbow was popping out away from my ribcage. This caused an aggressively open face at impact.

Won't be able to play until next week to see if it is effective again.

3w off the tee for about 75 balls, the rest was dedicated to hybrid work off the deck and off a tee.  

Does anyone know if they shot shapes should be different between off the deck and off a barely teed up ball?

Hitting both hybrids off the deck, ball went from straight or to a baby fade.  Off the tee, the ball draws.  Same swing,  identical lines.

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

8 hours ago, Rob Person said:

Oh Boy do i feel this!  I stopped (mostly) from trying to over swing/ over reach at the top, and my accuracy has improved 

Ive lost a very little amouunt of distance, but my contact and impact has also improved.

Keep working at it!

Yep, just trying to improve a little bit every day. Definitely got to keep working on that sway I've picked up, but it's getting better constantly.

Managed to mow my yard right after work yesterday while I still had sunlight, so got up earlier this morning before work to enjoy it, and after about 30 seconds of staring at grass, went and got my wedge and started practising chipping. I've been trying to chip balls back and forth across my yard every day for a while now, I generally rotate between my 52, 56 and 60 daily, and just try hitting different flighted shots, from different lies, making tiny changes to see how it affects the ball and the shot.

Driver - :cobra-small: King SZ 1w 7.5° w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110MSI 60x

Woods - :cobra-small:King SZ Big Tour 3w 13.5° w/ Fujikura Pro 65, King SZ 5w 20° w/ Tensei CK White 70

Driving Iron - :cobra-small: King Utility 2i 16° w/ Project X Hzrdus Black 85

Irons - :callaway-small: Apex '24 Combo set - 4i Pro, 5i-8i CB, 9i-10i MB w/ KBS Tour V 120 X-Stiff

Wedges - :callaway-small: MD5 Jaws 52° - S 10° grind, 56° - C 8° grind, 60° - C 8° grind w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue 115

Putter(s) - :odyssey-small: :callaway-small: :scotty-small: :titleist-small: :ping-small:  :nike-small: :wilson-small: O-Works 2 Ball Black, Big Bertha Warbird, Special Select Squareback 2.0, Red X2, Bullseye Original Flange SC, Bullseye Standard Flange SC, OG Bronze Anser, Method Midnight 007, R.Mendralla 8802

Went to the driving range after work to focus on 3 wood off the deck and driver mainly. My irons did ok but I just can’t hit my 3 wood off the deck with any consistency at all or height.. my driver I finally started to straighten out a bit but still far from as reliable as any of my irons. Then over to chipping and putting. I think I was just tired as my chipping was really not on par with my usual. Putting was really good however so no complaints there! Just glad I got to go hit balls!

I have a cobra rad speed driver, cobra fly z 3 and 5 wood, PXG 0311 P Gen 7 irons (4-GW), 54&58 degree Sub70 246 wedges, Tommy Armour #2 wide blade putter. When I’m playing to keep score I typically play the Maxfli Tour X. When just getting a round in with friends or scrambling I play whatever I might find on the course or might find at the bottom of my bag.

2 hours ago, Rob Person said:

What are you getting for distances? I find with the hybrids off the box, I have to barely tee it up off the grass to get anything decent from them.

For me - I’m typically in the 160 range with a smooth 5h, about 10-12 carry as you move to 4h and then 3h. Of course today a punchy 4h into a stiff 10-20 headwind flew 150ish off the tee to just about pin high on the par 3 #5.  Tee height is the same as for an iron off the tee, just a tick lower than what I do for a fairway. 

2 hours ago, Rob Person said:

Does anyone know if they shot shapes should be different between off the deck and off a barely teed up ball?

Hitting both hybrids off the deck, ball went from straight or to a baby fade.  Off the tee, the ball draws.  Same swing,  identical lines.

I really don’t see a difference in shot shaping - most days it’s a slight draw, hardly ever a fade.  Bad days - duck hook city….