Midwest: MN, WI, MI, IL, IN, OH, WV

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Don't forget to check out our Community Map for members close by and course reviews!
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/communitymap/

In addition be sure to do your own course reviews so others know what courses are worth going to and what ones should be avoided if in the area!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/49345-2022-mgs-forum-changes/

Has a guide as to how to add your marker and course reviews!

Howdy! Glad to be a new member here!

How long have you been playing golf?
I picked up my first clubs as a sophomore in hs, more than 26 years ago. Took 5 years off basically for college, then maybe a 10 year break for triathlon training which doesn't go well with golf. Picked the game back up hard right around 2020. 

What’s your handicap or normal score?  
Currently hndcp is at 26.2. Started at 32 at the beginning of the season so moving in the right direction after joining a men's league in my area this summer.

What do you love about golf?
That there's a specific reason for what the ball does for every shot/stroke. i.e. if it sliced, then the club face must have been open at contract; if it drew, then face was closed and path was in to out...etc... Took me a long time to realize that and it wasn't just "because"...

What brings you to MyGolfSpy?
I think the site came up looking into new putters or something recently (a few "what did you buy recently" posts coming soon 😇), but I don't remember the exact reason. I just saw that there existed forums based all around golf and I was intrigued.

Do you already know any other Spies?
Nada.   

Where are you from? What is your home course?   
I'm in Milwaukee/WI; I joined a men's league this year at Currie park golf course and I really like it.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region? 
The summers are great and the Milwaukee county parks system has a ton of different course options for generally pretty cheap compared to other bigger cities. They're all kept in pretty great shape too. But also winters suck here....  

What do you do for a living? 
Engineer in defense industry.

How’d you pick your user name?   
My email since hs has been seveswim@.com, so thought I'd change it to the appropriate sport.

Driver:         :titleist-small: TSR2 10.5*
FW wood:   :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3
Hybrid:        :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 Hybrid
Irons:           :mizuno-small:  JPX921 HM 5-GW
Wedges:      :taylormade-small: Black Milled Grind 56*, :callaway-small: Sure Out 2 58*, :mizuno-small: Blue T22 60*
Putter:         :odyssey-small: AI One Milled Eight T S
Ball:              :callaway-small:  Chrome Soft triple track 
Cart:              :Clicgear: 3.0 Pushcart
Shoes:           :footjoy-small: Premieres (So damn comfy) or 
adidas.jpg.68e67ffa35e40e0c3ad8be2ba26f3df3.jpg Tour360's 
Bag:                
AskEcho.jpg.d4dbb4965bf0480bbd5a3cff553f567f.jpg  2024 T-Lock Navy Grey (I love this thing) 

Hi all super excited to be a new member here!!

How long have you been playing golf?
I started playing golf in 2011 and played it competitively as a freshman in high school. Played ice hockey my entire life including in college which made golf kinda take a back seat since I didn’t have much free time. Once I graduated I started to pursue golf more actively due to having more free time and I am now in love with it. I’ve always had the worst slice since I started playing and I finally took the time to research how to fix it and it’s been getting actively better the more I play.

What’s your handicap or normal score?

I would say that I’m about a 15-20 handicap and a modest score for me would be in the low 90s

Playing sports all my life has given me the never ending drive to always learn something and have fun doing it and that is what golf has turned into for me. Since retiring from playing competitive hockey for 20 years of my life I was striving to find something that I could have that same passion for and golf has become that.

Just exploring every corner of the golf world and look forward to having this kind of social media almost that’s centered around golf.

Nope

I am from the Metro Detroit area in Southeast Michigan. I would say my home course is Bello Woods in Chesterfield, MI but my current favorite is Twin Lakes in Oakland County, MI

I would say the best thing about Michigan golf is the atmosphere and having a golf course being in the middle of a busy area with buildings, roads, and things of that nature but then when you’re on some of these courses you don’t even notice it.

I work in the clinical research field.

How’d you pick your user name?
Just randomly generated.

CV

1 hour ago, sevegolf said:

Welcome to the Forum!

47 minutes ago, cvictory13 said:

Welcome to the Forum!

TSR1, 9*, TPT Nitro 17 Lo

TSR1, 15*, TPT Power Range Fairway 17 Lo 

TSR2, Hybrid, 18*, TPT Power Range Hybrid 17 Lo 

T-200, (2023), 5-PW,  SteelFiber, i95cw, S 

Vokey Design - 50 & 54, SteelFiber i95cw S, and Vokey S10 - 46 & 58, SteelFiber i95cw S

Odyssey JAILBIRD 380 Limited Edition

ELIXR (2022), MaxFli Tour S (2024)

1 hour ago, cvictory13 said:

I started playing golf in 2011 and played it competitively as a freshman in high school. Played ice hockey my entire life including in college which made golf kinda take a back seat since I didn’t have much free time. Once I graduated I started to pursue golf more actively due to having more free time and I am now in love with it. I’ve always had the worst slice since I started playing and I finally took the time to research how to fix it and it’s been getting actively better the more I play.

I would say that I’m about a 15-20 handicap and a modest score for me would be in the low 90s

Playing sports all my life has given me the never ending drive to always learn something and have fun doing it and that is what golf has turned into for me. Since retiring from playing competitive hockey for 20 years of my life I was striving to find something that I could have that same passion for and golf has become that.

Just exploring every corner of the golf world and look forward to having this kind of social media almost that’s centered around golf.

Nope

I am from the Metro Detroit area in Southeast Michigan. I would say my home course is Bello Woods in Chesterfield, MI but my current favorite is Twin Lakes in Oakland County, MI

I would say the best thing about Michigan golf is the atmosphere and having a golf course being in the middle of a busy area with buildings, roads, and things of that nature but then when you’re on some of these courses you don’t even notice it.

Just randomly generated.

Welcome! I'm also a new member living in the Metro Detroit area. There are a few people people in our area who are very active on here! Lots of good information from them and the forum!

Dr- Wilson Launchpad 

3w,4&5H,6i-PW-Strata

52°, 56°, 60°- Bombtech

P- Cleveland Frontline Elite Cero 35"

• How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score? 

Started as a right hander with sawed off adult clubs when I was 5 or 6.  Played competitively in High School, then off and on into my late 20's.  Had kids, stopped playing for 15 years and am now starting to play again.  I was a pretty consistent low-mid 80s shooter with sporadic rounds in the 70's before hanging it up.  Haven't been playing more than 9 holes at a time recently, but have been in the mid 40's and last week scored my first sub 40 round since starting back up

• What do you love about golf? 

I love the challenge of how every shot leads to another unique opportunity.  Never thought of it this way before starting to play again after not playing for so long.

• What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

Don't currently know anyone here.  Was drawn to the equipment reviews, wondering how much equipment has changed since I last played over a decade ago.

• Where are you from? What is your home course?

Grew up in SE MN.  Currently living in SE WI.  No home course per se.  

• What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

Worst thing is the lenght of the season and cost of greens fees, but I'm sure that's a gripe most places.  Best things about this region is the proximity to some really nice courses and equipment availability for a lefty.

• What do you do for a living?

I'm an estimator for a construction company.

• How’d you pick your user name?

Not real creative, I'm a lefty from WI.

Old School Cool - WITB

Callaway 9* Big Bertha II Driver

Callaway Big Bertha 3W

2i - GW Tommy Armour 845s Silver Scot Irons

56* Snake Eyes SW

60* Snake Eyes LW

Wilson TPA III Putter

54 minutes ago, WiscoLefty said:

Started as a right hander with sawed off adult clubs when I was 5 or 6.  Played competitively in High School, then off and on into my late 20's.  Had kids, stopped playing for 15 years and am now starting to play again.  I was a pretty consistent low-mid 80s shooter with sporadic rounds in the 70's before hanging it up.  Haven't been playing more than 9 holes at a time recently, but have been in the mid 40's and last week scored my first sub 40 round since starting back up

I love the challenge of how every shot leads to another unique opportunity.  Never thought of it this way before starting to play again after not playing for so long.

Don't currently know anyone here.  Was drawn to the equipment reviews, wondering how much equipment has changed since I last played over a decade ago.

Worst thing is the lenght of the season and cost of greens fees, but I'm sure that's a gripe most places.  Best things about this region is the proximity to some really nice courses and equipment availability for a lefty.

Welcome to the Forum! there are a number of members up your way so join in and have fun!

Vokey Design - 50 & 54, SteelFiber i95cw S, and Vokey S10 - 46 & 58, SteelFiber i95cw S

21 hours ago, sevegolf said:

Welcome! I took about 15 years off from golf also and it's been a BLAST getting back into it! The forum has been very helpful in getting my gear upgraded and mindset in the right spot! Not to mention, it's just fun to read about golf!

20 hours ago, cvictory13 said:

Fellow Michigander here! I live about 1.5 hrs outside of Detroit and enjoy Michigan golf! There are a handful of courses that are open year round, so I've played at least 18 holes per month for 30 straight months! There were a couple where the layers of cold gear was impacting the swing a little, but it was a blast to be out!

9 hours ago, WiscoLefty said:

Welcome! There are a lot of lefty's on the forum and I think they even have a couple of threads dedicated to how hard it is to find lefty equipment! 😆

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter: LABLogo_25px.png.d348c70a35f07dfed1742feb45210a2f.png DF3 OFFICIAL MEMBER REVIEW HERE ‘24

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?

I've been playing golf since joining the school team in 7th grade. So about 16 years ago. Despite playing a lot I didn't get much better until a couple of years ago. My handicap has ranged anywhere from 7 - 13 but since having a kid last year could be higher. I haven't really kept a consistent GHIN but typically shoot in the 80s unless I'm at my home course, which is a wide open field with not many hazards. My best score there was par 70.

My favorite thing about golf is just being outside and enjoying nature. Especially being the first one off for the day everything is so peaceful. But I also love that you can be competitive with all skill levels and it's a great way to meet new people!

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?

I originally saw MGS via instagram and was interested in the data they provided on all the equipment. It is a true great place to get information when trying to know what to buy for what level of golfer. I've joined the Forum probably like a lot of people to be a tester. However, I believe having a community to talk and learn new things is a great thing and I'm happy to be here!

I grew up in Alabama, moved to Ohio for school (Bowling Green State University), did a short stint in PHX while interning with the Arizona Golf Association before coming back to the BG/Toledo area where I have been for 6 years. My home course has been Crosswinds which is a small public course that doesn't provide a lot of challenge but it is a great course to walk and place that new golfers can come and feel welcomed. However, recently moving to back to BG I'm not sure where my home will lie. Stone Ridge would be the premier chose, but I haven't committed to that being home just yet. 

The fall could be considered the best and worst thing about golf in the region. The color during the fall in unmatched. However, that means leaves are everywhere and it makes finding your ball difficult. Another bad thing is the inconsistent weather early spring and late fall with cold and wind coming and going. 

I'm an Operations Manager for BGSU doing mostly facility maintenance management. Overseeing custodial and overall cleanliness of campus. 

I use this username for all social media so one to create consistency and two so I don't forget what my username is lol. 

Driver: Calloway Hawk

3-wood: Taylormade SLDR

4 Hybrid - Pitching Wedge: Cobra F7

52 Wedge: Cleveland

56 Wedge: Cleveland

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Blade

On 8/5/2024 at 11:28 AM, sevegolf said:

HowNada.   

Engineer in defense industry.

My email since hs has been seveswim@.com, so thought I'd change it to the appropriate sport.

Welcome to the forums from the east side of the lake.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

6 hours ago, jasonbarker94 said:

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal

so I don't forget what my username is lol. 

Jason, welcome to the forums. Hope you have an opportunity to check in now and then to see what's happening. Welcome.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

Welcome to the MGS forums @cvictory13, @sevegolf, @WiscoLefty, and @jasonbarker94  😎

A lot of good information and people here to interact with, and answer any questions you may have. 

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4 

Hybrid: :titleist-small: TSR2 21 degree - :projectx: Hzrdus Black Gen 4

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7.5

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

Link to Motocaddy M7 w/Remote Trolley & Bag Review

9 hours ago, jasonbarker94 said:

I've been playing golf since joining the school team in 7th grade. So about 16 years ago. Despite playing a lot I didn't get much better until a couple of years ago. My handicap has ranged anywhere from 7 - 13 but since having a kid last year could be higher. I haven't really kept a consistent GHIN but typically shoot in the 80s unless I'm at my home course, which is a wide open field with not many hazards. My best score there was par 70.

My favorite thing about golf is just being outside and enjoying nature. Especially being the first one off for the day everything is so peaceful. But I also love that you can be competitive with all skill levels and it's a great way to meet new people!

I originally saw MGS via instagram and was interested in the data they provided on all the equipment. It is a true great place to get information when trying to know what to buy for what level of golfer. I've joined the Forum probably like a lot of people to be a tester. However, I believe having a community to talk and learn new things is a great thing and I'm happy to be here!

I grew up in Alabama, moved to Ohio for school (Bowling Green State University), did a short stint in PHX while interning with the Arizona Golf Association before coming back to the BG/Toledo area where I have been for 6 years. My home course has been Crosswinds which is a small public course that doesn't provide a lot of challenge but it is a great course to walk and place that new golfers can come and feel welcomed. However, recently moving to back to BG I'm not sure where my home will lie. Stone Ridge would be the premier chose, but I haven't committed to that being home just yet. 

The fall could be considered the best and worst thing about golf in the region. The color during the fall in unmatched. However, that means leaves are everywhere and it makes finding your ball difficult. Another bad thing is the inconsistent weather early spring and late fall with cold and wind coming and going. 

I'm an Operations Manager for BGSU doing mostly facility maintenance management. Overseeing custodial and overall cleanliness of campus. 

I use this username for all social media so one to create consistency and two so I don't forget what my username is lol. 

Welcome to the Forum!

On 8/5/2024 at 11:21 PM, WiscoLefty said:

I just had my first kid 11 months ago! The amount of golf has definitely decreased, but I'm hoping to continue to play and introduce the game to her and any other kids at a young age. Whether they continue to love it or go somewhere else it's at least great bonding time being out there! 

Welcome back to the game!

On 8/5/2024 at 12:17 PM, cvictory13 said:

Nope

Just randomly generated.

Michigan has some great golf courses! I worked in Ann Arbor for a few years and played some courses there. I'm really itching to play some courses in Northern Michigan. A couple of buddies are headed up there in September to play, but it didn't work out with my schedule unfortunately.

It seems a lot of hockey players gravitate towards golf and are usually pretty good! Welcome to the grass rink!

I've played since I was 8, but only ever 2-3 times a year. Took a break around college and graduation until I got into a job with a group that played quite regularly. I have 3 young kids, so I don't get to play as often as I like, but have been able to do a little more this year. I mostly play 9s with scores in the high 40s to low 50s. Here's hoping more regular playing brings those scores down.

It's a good excuse to get outdoors on a nice day and hang out with some friends. Even when you're having a bad round you'll still hit some shots that just make you feel good. 

I was researching some new irons, especially DTC ones and MGS actually had reviews of them. Was also looking into finding a consistent ball to play and not just what I could find in the bushes.

I live on the east side of Cleveland, but grew up near Cedar Point. Grantwood is my home course, but I enjoy playing all of the courses near me.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

The Metroparks own a lot of courses, but they keep them in really good shape. Some of the courses in the fall are breathtaking. The worst things are the short seasons, the weather, and how many private courses there are while some good public ones close. I'm still bitter Wicked Woods closed.

I'm a project manager for an electronic test & measurement company.

My name and fraternity badge number.

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic MAX LS
Hybrid: :taylormade-small: Rescue 
4-GW: :taylormade-small: Burner Plus
SW: :macgregor-small: MS8 
LW:  Slazenger Wrath 60
Putter: ? It was a gift with no brand on it
Bag: :Ogio: Fuse 2024 Neon Sport

1 hour ago, Dan1247 said:

I've played since I was 8, but only ever 2-3 times a year. Took a break around college and graduation until I got into a job with a group that played quite regularly. I have 3 young kids, so I don't get to play as often as I like, but have been able to do a little more this year. I mostly play 9s with scores in the high 40s to low 50s. Here's hoping more regular playing brings those scores down.

It's a good excuse to get outdoors on a nice day and hang out with some friends. Even when you're having a bad round you'll still hit some shots that just make you feel good. 

I was researching some new irons, especially DTC ones and MGS actually had reviews of them. Was also looking into finding a consistent ball to play and not just what I could find in the bushes.

I live on the east side of Cleveland, but grew up near Cedar Point. Grantwood is my home course, but I enjoy playing all of the courses near me.

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?

The Metroparks own a lot of courses, but they keep them in really good shape. Some of the courses in the fall are breathtaking. The worst things are the short seasons, the weather, and how many private courses there are while some good public ones close. I'm still bitter Wicked Woods closed.

I'm a project manager for an electronic test & measurement company.

My name and fraternity badge number.

Welcome to the Forum!

I recently got into golf this summer after my cousin encouraged me to join him. I hit a chip shot off the rough for par in my first outing and have been hooked since! I normally play 9 hole with an average score of 43. 

First and foremost golf is fun! I enjoy morning tee times on my weekends to unwind from the work week. I'm also a very competitive person and strive to improve in the things I enjoy. It has been motivating to see my improvement from just a few months. I went to chunking the biggest divots with my irons and 6 putting holes to making decent contact and keeping it to 3 puts. I have found a hobby that'll stick for a lifetime and I'm excited for the Journey.

Google brought me here as I have been figuring out the game. I owe a lot of my knowledge to the forum! I wanted to join a community to talk golf and MyGolfSpy has been nothing but welcoming 🙂

I'm from Michigan and currently living in the Lansing area for school. I don't quite have a course I would call home yet as I have tried a new course each time this summer. 

Although I haven't experienced it yet, I'm very much looking forward to golfing in the autumn as the leaves change color. Although the leaves will be all over the course, at least it will be scenic. The worst thing is definitely the shortened season. Not looking forward to the cold winter months without golf.   

I am a biology research scientist. Currently I'm perusing a PhD at Michigan State University.  

Not quite an exciting story, It's a shortened version of my name 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Gloire 10.5*

Fairway: :taylormade-small: 3W Stealth Gloire 15*

Hybrid: :callaway-small: 4H Paradym 21*

Irons: :callaway-small: (5-PW) Pro Series X-16

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 58*

Putter: :taylormade-small: Spider GT Splitback

Technology: :Arccos:

5 minutes ago, Bzuniga said:

I recently got into golf this summer after my cousin encouraged me to join him. I hit a chip shot off the rough for par in my first outing and have been hooked since! I normally play 9 hole with an average score of 43. 

First and foremost golf is fun! I enjoy morning tee times on my weekends to unwind from the work week. I'm also a very competitive person and strive to improve in the things I enjoy. It has been motivating to see my improvement from just a few months. I went to chunking the biggest divots with my irons and 6 putting holes to making decent contact and keeping it to 3 puts. I have found a hobby that'll stick for a lifetime and I'm excited for the Journey.

Google brought me here as I have been figuring out the game. I owe a lot of my knowledge to the forum! I wanted to join a community to talk golf and MyGolfSpy has been nothing but welcoming 🙂

I'm from Michigan and currently living in the Lansing area for school. I don't quite have a course I would call home yet as I have tried a new course each time this summer. 

Although I haven't experienced it yet, I'm very much looking forward to golfing in the autumn as the leaves change color. Although the leaves will be all over the course, at least it will be scenic. The worst thing is definitely the shortened season. Not looking forward to the cold winter months without golf.   

I am a biology research scientist. Currently I'm perusing a PhD at Michigan State University.  

Welcome 

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

11 minutes ago, Bzuniga said:

Welcome to the Forum!

Hi All (or at this point... anyone still reading this thread).  I really love GolfSpy and have been dropping in on the forum posts for some time and just reading them.  Thought I'd join along.  

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  Despite what anyone may have remembered from watching the old Big Break on TGC.. I could play golf at one point.  These days I don't keep a handicap... and I don't play often... this summer my rounds have been in the mid 70s for the most part, with a low 80s chucked in to remind me I'm getting old.   I used to compete in professional long drive when I was young.  

What do you love about golf?  It's just you against the course and nature.  You aren't really playing vs other competitors that's just a comparison after a round.  I also enjoy meeting people out and about, and have done so all over the globe on the golf course. 

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  Dropping in after eavesdropping for years.

Where are you from? What is your home course?  Global citizen, now from Chicago suburbs. 

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  Public access in Chicago is difficult... the boom has made tee times more precious and country clubs out of reach for many.  

What do you do for a living?  Semi retired CEO/Tech Exec.  

How’d you pick your user name?  It's how I'm called.  If I say something... I'd want it to come back to me rather than a user name.  Say what you mean, mean what you say.  Some of the best Spies hide in plain sight.  

Moose @ The Big Break

WITB: TM790s, SIM2 Driver, SIM2 3W, and 1970s Ping Anser. 

29 minutes ago, Moose Farnham said:

Hi All (or at this point... anyone still reading this thread).  I really love GolfSpy and have been dropping in on the forum posts for some time and just reading them.  Thought I'd join along.  

How long have you been playing golf? What’s your handicap or normal score?  Despite what anyone may have remembered from watching the old Big Break on TGC.. I could play golf at one point.  These days I don't keep a handicap... and I don't play often... this summer my rounds have been in the mid 70s for the most part, with a low 80s chucked in to remind me I'm getting old.   I used to compete in professional long drive when I was young.  

What do you love about golf?  It's just you against the course and nature.  You aren't really playing vs other competitors that's just a comparison after a round.  I also enjoy meeting people out and about, and have done so all over the globe on the golf course. 

What brings you to MyGolfSpy? Do you already know any other Spies?  Dropping in after eavesdropping for years.

Where are you from? What is your home course?  Global citizen, now from Chicago suburbs. 

What are the best and worst things about golf in your region?  Public access in Chicago is difficult... the boom has made tee times more precious and country clubs out of reach for many.  

How’d you pick your user name?  It's how I'm called.  If I say something... I'd want it to come back to me rather than a user name.  Say what you mean, mean what you say.  Some of the best Spies hide in plain sight.  

Welcome to the forum Moose! Yes, this thread does still get read. Always happy to see new faces around here. Lots of great people and more info than you can handle. It's fantastic! Haha. Participate, have fun, read up. You can kill a whole day without even trying.

Driver: Titleist TSR3 9* | H2 track setting | C4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

3 wood: Titleist TSi3 15* | T track setting | B4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7X

5 wood: Titleist TSR2 18* | C4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8S

Hybrid: Titleist TSR2 21* | B1 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9X

Irons: Titleist T100 Black | 5-P | True Temper AMT Tour White X100

Wedges: Vokey SM9 Jet Black | 50.08F, 54.12D, 58.08M | True Temper AMT Tour White S300

Putter: Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Button Back Newport 2.5+

52 minutes ago, Moose Farnham said:

Welcome, Moose! Glad to have more Chicagoland representation on the Forum! 

Current WITB:

Bag: image_2024-02-27_104948566.png.b92168231016d467eb3d016dba2075b9.png MV2 Golf Bag

Driver:  image.png G425 Max 9.0º,Fujikura-Smiths-golf-logo-effect(1)(1).png.6f8993e93c81265138ae9592b03a5dd9.pngVentus Blue Velocore 6S

Fairway: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png TSR2 3 wood 15º,Fujikura-Smiths-golf-logo-effect(1)(1).png.6f8993e93c81265138ae9592b03a5dd9.pngVentus Red Velocore 7S

Driving Iron: image.png.75de9ed8d611880163bbacfe51b6bf91.png U505 2-iron, Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85S 

Irons: image.png.b5950bd367d637859d211fef578a14af.png MP-54 (4-P), Project X 6.0S

Wedges: TM23WDG-MG4-Stacked-Color-OnLight-v1-1024x410.png.ac724a75349db558663486b0cf600638.png 50.09 SB, 54.11 SB, 58.11 SB

Putter: default_odyssey-small.jpg.a7dc06ee6fc9b8df09953a46df717684.jpg Ai-ONE Jailbird Mini DB 35"

Ball:  Maxfli_new(1).png.543c09044d6b6e8a80c748512567d803.png Tour X

1 hour ago, Moose Farnham said:

Welcome!

Welcome to the forum, @sevegolfs @cvictory13 @WiscoLefty @jasonbarker94 @Dan1247 @Bzuniga @Moose Farnham!

I hope you get as much from the forums as I do. It’s a great resource for information and advice. But as others have said, it’s easy to lose hours! It can be a good replacement for other forms of social media. Ha ha

2024 WITB:

Driver::callaway-logo-1: Ai Smoke 🔹🔹🔹 MAX 9* w. Denali 60g 6.5 (XS)

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & TSR2 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-PW: '17 P790 w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X (Incoming soon: :taylormade-small: 4i-PW: 2024 P770 w. :projectx: Rifle 6.0 (+1/4"))

Wedges: :taylormade-small: 50/09 MG4; 56/12 MG4TW Raw; :vokey-small:SM9 60/04L

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X7

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5x //  :callaway-small: Chrome Tour // Maxfli Tour X

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder;  :Ogio: Woode Hybrid Stand Bag; :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

"...pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"- Eric Idle

Question for the Michiganders in here. Specifically west coast. 
Do you have any public course recommendations for the Muskegon area? 
I’ll be in the area for a short work trip soon and I’m planning to take my clubs. 🙂 

Thanks in advance!

2024 WITB:

FW woods: :titleist-small:TSR2+ 13* '2W' w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X & TSR2 21* 7W w. Mitsubishi Tensei White 75X

Hybrid: :taylormade-small:Stealth+ 3H (@18*) w. :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke RDX Red 80/6.5

Irons: :taylormade-small: 5i-PW: '17 P790 w. :kbs: Tour C-Taper Lite 115X (Incoming soon: :taylormade-small: 4i-PW: 2024 P770 w. :projectx: Rifle 6.0 (+1/4"))

Other: :Arccos:. Gogogo Sport V-Pro rangefinder;  :Ogio: Woode Hybrid Stand Bag; :BagBoy: Nitron push cart.

2024 Tests:

"...pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'cause there's bugger all down here on Earth!"- Eric Idle

2 hours ago, Indy_Oz said:

Question for the Michiganders in here. Specifically west coast. 
Do you have any public course recommendations for the Muskegon area? 
I’ll be in the area for a short work trip soon and I’m planning to take my clubs. 🙂 

Thanks in advance!

@Indy_Oz Im here in Michigan, not on the West coast specifically. That said; if you can get on American Dunes, about 30 minutes south of downtown Muskegon, do that. The walk from the parking lot to the course is great, the course itself is excellent, and cap your round off at Cavu bar. You won't regret any of it. It is truly a great place. I have been able to get there at least once a season from the middle of the state and look forward to playing the course every time. Well worth your trip if you can make it happen.

Driver: Titleist TSR3 9* | H2 track setting | C4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6X

3 wood: Titleist TSi3 15* | T track setting | B4 hosel setting | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7X

Wedges: Vokey SM9 Jet Black | 50.08F, 54.12D, 58.08M | True Temper AMT Tour White S300

57 minutes ago, BLD7 said:

@Indy_Oz Im here in Michigan, not on the West coast specifically. That said; if you can get on American Dunes, about 30 minutes south of downtown Muskegon, do that. The walk from the parking lot to the course is great, the course itself is excellent, and cap your round off at Cavu bar. You won't regret any of it. It is truly a great place. I have been able to get there at least once a season from the middle of the state and look forward to playing the course every time. Well worth your trip if you can make it happen.

Now you're talking. I just checked out the course online and it looks amazing! Didn't realize it was there and knew nothing about it. Thanks for the recommendation! Not cheap, but for a one-off, or once a year, that looks like a great option.👍

2024 WITB:

2024 Tests:

I've become a "Callaway guy" by accident. I started with Callaway knock-offs and then replaced those with the real-thing. I buy used equipment from Callaway pre-owned. I like my Callaways, but if I get fitted for clubs, I will absolutely be open to a change.

At the moment, I play XR-16 OS. I replaced the 4 and 5 irons with hybrids. This year, I replaced my 3w with a 7w to give me a more consistent 180 carry club. My driver carries 200, occasionally 220. I went to Callaway CB wedges last year figuring that I hit full swings with them much of the time and I could use the forgiveness. After much experimentation, I've settled on Chrome Soft golf balls, too. I like the soft feel and the distance they provide.

Two videos have influenced my game recently. One is Mr. Short Game's about hitting 100 yards or less. In short, most of your clubs can be 100 yard clubs with a half or 3/4 swing and provide more accuracy. An immediate stroke saver. I can hit greens from 150 yards with a full 7i or an easy 5h depending on what's needed. The other is one by Eric Congorno where he talks about how wrist rotation closes the club face while body turn can open the club face. I'd been focusing on a forward shaft lean recently (plus 5-10 yards), but hooks have been leaking into my shot shape, Understanding the wrist and body turn will hopefully bring it all together. Just need some time with all that.

This year, I've lowered my handicap by 5 strokes for 9-holes by implementing a more consistent inside-out swing and putting better...just finding the center of the face more often. I'm very happy to deal with shooting net 35 or 36 and losing to a higher handicapper who has a good-for-them night. It hurts a little, but I'm happy to be a 5 handicap in my 9-hole league.

Callaway XR-16 OS clubs with Callaway CB wedges.

7 minutes ago, Dad-Rad said:

I've become a "Callaway guy" by accident. I started with Callaway knock-offs and then replaced those with the real-thing. I buy used equipment from Callaway pre-owned. I like my Callaways, but if I get fitted for clubs, I will absolutely be open to a change.

At the moment, I play XR-16 OS. I replaced the 4 and 5 irons with hybrids. This year, I replaced my 3w with a 7w to give me a more consistent 180 carry club. My driver carries 200, occasionally 220. I went to Callaway CB wedges last year figuring that I hit full swings with them much of the time and I could use the forgiveness. After much experimentation, I've settled on Chrome Soft golf balls, too. I like the soft feel and the distance they provide.

Two videos have influenced my game recently. One is Mr. Short Game's about hitting 100 yards or less. In short, most of your clubs can be 100 yard clubs with a half or 3/4 swing and provide more accuracy. An immediate stroke saver. I can hit greens from 150 yards with a full 7i or an easy 5h depending on what's needed. The other is one by Eric Congorno where he talks about how wrist rotation closes the club face while body turn can open the club face. I'd been focusing on a forward shaft lean recently (plus 5-10 yards), but hooks have been leaking into my shot shape, Understanding the wrist and body turn will hopefully bring it all together. Just need some time with all that.

This year, I've lowered my handicap by 5 strokes for 9-holes by implementing a more consistent inside-out swing and putting better...just finding the center of the face more often. I'm very happy to deal with shooting net 35 or 36 and losing to a higher handicapper who has a good-for-them night. It hurts a little, but I'm happy to be a 5 handicap in my 9-hole league.

Welcome!

6 minutes ago, Indy_Oz said:

Now you're talking. I just checked out the course online and it looks amazing! Didn't realize it was there and knew nothing about it. Thanks for the recommendation! Not cheap, but for a one-off, or once a year, that looks like a great option.👍

It truly is a special place. And the course will test your golf capabilities. The course (IMHO) is not punishing, rather a joy to play, even if you hit an errant shot and find yourself in the tall, wispy stuff. Also, for the 'dunes' part, if you find yourself in the sand - which is likely at some point, the sand is consistent and playable. IMHO it is a top 5 public course here in MI. Hope you're able to get on and play it. Would love to hear after your trip how it went, or if you ended up somewhere else.