Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Shaft Comparison Tool/Chart

I poked around and searched this sub forum for a thread about comparing various shafts.  No doubt there has been one and I'm missing it.  I see many graph charts that compare shafts and want to know if there is a source that most find reliable.  I understand the issue with shafts not being all that standardized within the industry - making direct comparisons challenging - but suspect (or hope) there is a source that is reliable.

I'm currently playing AWT 2.0 and was also fitted for Project X 5.5.  I'm considering buying a used set of I500's and it would be helpful to have a shaft comparison tool or chart to see if other make/model shafts are equivalent (or real close). 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

I haven't seen a chart on here.  The best free source I have found is if you look at the manufacturer catalogs;  sometimes they compare shafts and put them in a launch/spin graph.   There is a pay site that will give you the EI profile charts for various shafts.   the later is probably the best source.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

I poked around and searched this sub forum for a thread about comparing various shafts.  No doubt there has been one and I'm missing it.  I see many graph charts that compare shafts and want to know if there is a source that most find reliable.  I understand the issue with shafts not being all that standardized within the industry - making direct comparisons challenging - but suspect (or hope) there is a source that is reliable.

I'm currently playing AWT 2.0 and was also fitted for Project X 5.5.  I'm considering buying a used set of I500's and it would be helpful to have a shaft comparison tool or chart to see if other make/model shafts are equivalent (or real close). 

So I am currently playing I500 irons 6,7,8 and 9 in one of my sets. The shaft I play is a Aerotech Steel Fiber I80 in reg flex. That gives me the best combo I am looking for regarding flex feel and spin. What feels to me as medium firm for a regular flex. I tested several shafts at demo days and bought my own and built test clubs before deciding on the I80. A

Agree with recommendation to post what you are interested in and others on this forum may can provide quality feedback/recommendations.

Link on Ping website that details stock shaft offerings for I500 : https://ping.com/en-us/clubs/irons/i500    / click on shafts tab - contains basic information list regarding the different shafts. Obviously many more possibilities but hopefully you could try/test somewhere. Good luck. 

3 hours ago, fixyurdivot said:

There really are no shafts that compare to the px shafts. They are kind of unique in their design and feel. I’ve been fit into the 6.0 by titleist and Pxg.  Other shafts that were good fits in titleist were the amt s300 and after the change to add in different amt options the amt white s300 which are the same as the original amt.

image.png.1d4a007baecf78609d4a0f92d3e1a2e5.png

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 hours ago, jaskanski said:

If you could tell us what shafts are in the potential i500's, then we could give you an indication on how they compare to your current set....

I don't have a specific set I'm gawking at presently but the last ones I looked at had KBS C-Taper and the other Recoil.  I was just hoping there was a good, fairly comprehensive source that compares shafts.  Something on the order of what Maltby's Playability Factor chart does for irons.  Since there is effectively no industry standard for measuring shaft attributes, I suppose that makes such an endeavour challenging.

3 hours ago, aerospace_ray said:

Link on Ping website that details stock shaft offerings for I500 : https://ping.com/en-us/clubs/irons/i500    / click on shafts tab - contains basic information list regarding the different shafts. Obviously many more possibilities but hopefully you could try/test somewhere. Good luck. 

The i500's I tested this past winter were with the same AWT 2.0, Reg Flex, +1" on my G410's. Many I see available do not have the AWT shafts.  Since I've been fitted for both the AWT's and the PX LZ 5.5, which True Temper/Dynamic Gold, KBS, Recoil, etc. would be a good match?

The shaft that would be a good match is probably subjective, but there are two areas to look at in terms of what you have currently been fitted for.

1. Weight - AWT and PX LZ could be placed in around the 100-110g category.

2. Launch profile is mid to mid high for AWT to PX LZ.

That rules out the Recoil on both weight and launch which would probably be too light and too high launching. A KBS Tour in Reg would be an option as would Dynamic Gold 105. 

Be wary of fitting yourself into a used set based on that logic though - it doesn't always work out as planned, but weight and launch is a good yardstick to look at for matching swings. Ideally, you should  try out the options before buying - not easy if you're buying from online (eg. Ebay) but certainly easier if you buy in-store from a reputable dealer. Patience and logic will always be better than being swayed by impulse and whims. And  ironically, listening to anecdotal advice on internet forums is the last thing you should have any faith in - you have been warned!

6 minutes ago, jaskanski said:

The shaft that would be a good match is probably subjective, but there are two areas to look at in terms of what you have currently been fitted for.

That rules out the Recoil on both weight and launch which would probably be too light and too high launching. A KBS Tour in Reg would be an option as would Dynamic Gold 105. 

Be wary of fitting yourself into a used set based on that logic though - it doesn't always work out as planned, but weight and launch is a good yardstick to look at for matching swings. Ideally, you should  try out the options before buying - not easy if you're buying from online (eg. Ebay) but certainly easier if you buy in-store from a reputable dealer. Patience and logic will always be better than being swayed by impulse and whims. And  ironically, listening to anecdotal advice on internet forums is the last thing you should have any faith in - you have been warned!

I was a little disappointed that the fitter I used did not have the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer.  He had and we tested Mizuno's but he had just recently opened his shop and had not either purchased or provided the optimizer.  I've read a number of threads saying this is an excellent system and a must do if possible. I would love to see what it recommends for me. I spoke with him about 5 months ago and he still did not have it in the store. 

39 minutes ago, jaskanski said:

It depends on which recoils. There are 110 In regular and protype versions nd 125 prototype recoils. Both prototype offering mid-low launch while the 110 non proto are mid launch 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

6 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It depends on which recoils. There are 110 In regular and protype versions nd 125 prototype recoils. Both prototype offering mid-low launch while the 110 non proto are mid launch 

That's true, but I was basing my opinion on the stock offering from Ping which would likely be with a used set. I don't think the OP was planning on reshafting or getting fitted - which of course would be the smart thing to do anyway.

Edited by jaskanski

16 minutes ago, jaskanski said:

That's true, but I was basing my opinion on the stock offering from Ping which would likely be with a used set. I don't think the OP was planning on reshafting or getting fitted - which of course would be the smart thing to do anyway.

But ping offers the 110s as an option.

9 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

But ping offers the 110s as an option.

As an uncharge. Look - I don't want to turn this into a pissing contest, but I think we have established that the chances of finding a used set of i500's with an equivalent shaft that the OP had been previously fitted for in + 1" are pretty slim. I would suggest revisiting the whole fitting process to ensure they get connected with the right shaft at the right length with the intended set. Now if you don't mind, I have more important things to do - like play golf. Jeez.....

Edited by jaskanski

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/19/2020 at 12:03 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

There really are no shafts that compare to the px shafts. They are kind of unique in their design and feel. I’ve been fit into the 6.0 by titleist and Pxg.  Other shafts that were good fits in titleist were the amt s300 and after the change to add in different amt options the amt white s300 which are the same as the original amt.

image.png.1d4a007baecf78609d4a0f92d3e1a2e5.png

I like this chart.  It has made me rethink the iron shafts I have been looking at.  Seeing them all laid out has made me realize how different they all are.  I now realize that one option I was looking at is way too low spin for my needs and it has reinforced one option as a good one to try as well as making me more comfortable with other options.  Going to a fitting isn't all that easy where I live, so this has shed some light on shafts.  Looking at manufacturer's websites has only told me the bare minimum.

Driver: Cobra Speedzone 10.5 Mitsubishi AV Blue S flex

Wood: Cobra Bio Cell 3-4 Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue (low launch original version) S flex

Hybrids: Taylormade GAPR 3 KBS graphite shaft

Strata 4 and 5 hybrids R flex

Irons: Strata 6-PW R flex

Wedges: Texan Classics 52, 56, 60 R flex

Putter: Odyssey Red Ball mallet

Ball: Srixon Q Star Tour

45 minutes ago, AmishJason said:

I like this chart.  It has made me rethink the iron shafts I have been looking at.  Seeing them all laid out has made me realize how different they all are.  I now realize that one option I was looking at is way too low spin for my needs and it has reinforced one option as a good one to try as well as making me more comfortable with other options.  Going to a fitting isn't all that easy where I live, so this has shed some light on shafts.  Looking at manufacturer's websites has only told me the bare minimum.

I like this chart. Iirc Srixon and titleist consistently have this updated on their sites as well as woods and hybrids. Of all the fittings I’ve had the shafts fall into or close to one box on that chart so I know why my options can be if I “blind” buy some irons