Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Help Us Revise our Review System

Tony Covey MGS

• SPY VIP

We're putting the final touches on an upgrade to the scoring system we using in our ULTIMATE REVIEWS. I'll save all the details for a later post, but we definitely want to hear your thoughts on what it takes to achieve A-Level performance.

Specifically how close to the pin do you think a player should average with a specific club in order to receive an "A" for overall performance. Let us know your thoughts on what it should take to get an A with the clubs and distances listed below.

Fairway (~230 yards)

Hybrid (~210 yards)

Long Iron (~185 yards)

Middle Iron (~160 yards)

Short Iron (~125 yards)

Wedge (~100 yards)

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

Totally unrelated, but I do think the "price tag" / performance should be avoided. With the Adams 9064 the $399 tag kept it out of the A+ category, and today the driver is going for less than $150 new. Some people, including myself, always wait for drivers to be an "old" model in order to buy them at half the price new, so the price tag isn't really a big problem. In the other hand, if someone has the money and is in the market for a Driver, it makes you think two drivers are similar when one might have over-scored the other one with the difference of the price tag.

Just my two cents...

• SPY VIP

Totally unrelated, but I do think the "price tag" / performance should be avoided. With the Adams 9064 the $399 tag kept it out of the A+ category, and today the driver is going for less than $150 new. Some people, including myself, always wait for drivers to be an "old" model in order to buy them at half the price new, so the price tag isn't really a big problem. In the other hand, if someone has the money and is in the market for a Driver, it makes you think two drivers are similar when one might have over-scored the other one with the difference of the price tag.

Just my two cents...

We dumped "Value" a bit ago. After much discussion we have decided to keep LOP (likelihood of purchase) around since time and time again it has proven to be the best indicator of whether or not our testers like a club enough to actually consider purchasing it. As a bit of a teaser, we're also dumping "Perceived Distance" and "Perceived Accuracy" from our subjective surveys. We pretty much proved what we wanted to (people see what they want to - reality be damned), and so we no longer see the need to keep them around.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

You could use your review history to get helpful numbers. What is the best a club has received, and what is the worst? What is the difference between them?

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

• SPY VIP

You could use your review history to get helpful numbers. What is the best a club has received, and what is the worst? What is the difference between them?

Historical data will actually play a part in the new system, but for some of the new ways we'll be testing no previous data exists.

Ya, I guess my point is that its all relative, an arbitrary distance doesn't really mean anything. Its all about how a club compares to all the other clubs in its class. The best clubs at doing whatever they are supposed to do would be the A grades but the standard is always changing. If your best club last year gets beat by 4 models this year, its no longer the best club so even if you gave it an A then, it doesn't deserve one now if you see what I mean. Maybe forget the grading system altogether and just give us the data and tell us how it compares to its competition. Perhaps maintain a spreadsheet that allows people to see and sort the information however they want?

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I really wish that the testing was done outside... like where we play golf. Ballflight feedback is very important when fitting clubs.

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

• SPY VIP

I really wish that the testing was done outside... like where we play golf. Ballflight feedback is very important when fitting clubs.

Nic - A couple quick points...

Some of the top fitters in the country are now fitting indoors exclusively. The technology when it comes to not only calculating, but accurately displaying ball flight on the screens has come along way. From low stingers, to slices, hooks, and even ballooning, the simulators we use do an excellent job of providing an accurate visual experience. I suspect there may be some subtleties lost, but the technology is very, very good.

The data we get is 2nd to none. It's also advantageous to our purposes to eliminate the elements from our testing process. We never have to worry about wind, temperature, or humidity putting one club at a disadvantage. It also makes it much easier to test to a target and calculate things like distance from the pin.

Also, we're not in the fitting business. We test (mostly off-the-rack, stock). We do compare numbers for each club to make sure our testers are leveraging the best possible fit from the supplied equipment (again, the data we get back is extremely helpful in this regard), but ultimately we are club testers, not club fitters.

Having said that, there certainly are limitations to testing indoors. We'd love to be able to provide much more detailed data for other aspects of performance (rough, deep rough, bunkers, etc.), but until we can actually collect data it's all subjective, and as we've learned countless times, the subjective is highly unreliable. Should budget and manpower ever allow it...the things I could do with a dedicated testing facility, more time, and a some help.

Maybe someday...

Nic - A couple quick points...

Some of the top fitters in the country are now fitting indoors exclusively. The technology when it comes to not only calculating, but accurately displaying ball flight on the screens has come along way. From low stingers, to slices, hooks, and even ballooning, the simulators we use do an excellent job of providing an accurate visual experience. I suspect there may be some subtleties lost, but the technology is very, very good.

The data we get is 2nd to none. It's also advantageous to our purposes to eliminate the elements from our testing process. We never have to worry about wind, temperature, or humidity putting one club at a disadvantage. It also makes it much easier to test to a target and calculate things like distance from the pin.

Also, we're not in the fitting business. We test (mostly off-the-rack, stock). We do compare numbers for each club to make sure our testers are leveraging the best possible fit from the supplied equipment (again, the data we get back is extremely helpful in this regard), but ultimately we are club testers, not club fitters.

Having said that, there certainly are limitations to testing indoors. We'd love to be able to provide much more detailed data for other aspects of performance (rough, deep rough, bunkers, etc.), but until we can actually collect data it's all subjective, and as we've learned countless times, the subjective is highly unreliable. Should budget and manpower ever allow it...the things I could do with a dedicated testing facility, more time, and a some help.

Maybe someday...

All very good points.... Especially club testing vs fitting.

Thanks.

N

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I suggest taking into account the data collected from the PGA tour shotlink as a starting point to see what type of distance from the flag for a distance range can be expected for a PGA tour player, and grade from there. For instance, from 150 - 175 yards, the PGA leader is at around 24 feet on average from the hole.

http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/info/?338

So, for us regular players, maybe 40 feet would be an A? And probably every 6 feet or so difference would then be a B, C, D, and then F.

Driver: Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5* with Diamama Blue S+ 62g Stiff shaft

3 and 5 wood: Callaway Big Bertha with Fubuki Z65 Stiff

Hybrid: Wilson FG Tour 4 hybrid

Irons: 5 iron: Cleveland Altitude Stiff; 6 -PW Callaway Apex Pro, KBS Tour-V Stff

Wedges: 51*, 55* and 58* SCORE with Genius Stiff

I suggest taking into account the data collected from the PGA tour shotlink as a starting point to see what type of distance from the flag for a distance range can be expected for a PGA tour player, and grade from there. For instance, from 150 - 175 yards, the PGA leader is at around 24 feet on average from the hole.

http://www.pgatour.c...stats/info/?338

So, for us regular players, maybe 40 feet would be an A? And probably every 6 feet or so difference would then be a B, C, D, and then F.

Fantastic suggestion! I really like this idea and hope that it gets taken into consideration.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Fantastic suggestion! I really like this idea and hope that it gets taken into consideration.

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback! It would be interesting to see how past results for certain club reviews (like a wedge and a hybrid) compares to the PGA Pro averages.

Driver: Callaway Optiforce 440 9.5* with Diamama Blue S+ 62g Stiff shaft

3 and 5 wood: Callaway Big Bertha with Fubuki Z65 Stiff

Hybrid: Wilson FG Tour 4 hybrid

Irons: 5 iron: Cleveland Altitude Stiff; 6 -PW Callaway Apex Pro, KBS Tour-V Stff

Wedges: 51*, 55* and 58* SCORE with Genius Stiff

http://www.pgatour.com/r/stats/info/?338

Fantastic idea indeed! Combined with Tyk's suggestion we will have objective data for benchmarking to draw our own conclusions.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

• SPY VIP

Thanks, I appreciate the feedback! It would be interesting to see how past results for certain club reviews (like a wedge and a hybrid) compares to the PGA Pro averages.

Hey ddelise, thanks for completely ruining everything. After reading your post we went back and looked at the shotlink data, and it turns out we had actually over-estimated the real world abilities of low handicap golfers (to say nothing of tour pros). It really got us thinking, and we also reached the conclusion that we had dramatically under-estimated the abilities of higher-handicap golfers. All of that got us thinking even more about what the real difference in scores is between a 4 handicap and a 20 handicap.

The short of it is our original differentials were way to high (from a numbers perspective we conceptualized a high handicap golfer being half as accurate. In reality, conservatively there's only about a 20% difference in scores so we elected to use that as a baseline (you have to start somewhere). Combined with the shotlink data we came up with a new starting point, and when looking at A,B, C, and D grades for various distances, we're much, much happier with the results.

So while your suggestion cost 2 of us the better part of our mornings, we think the end result is a further improvement in what we believe will be a big improvement over the current system. So very sincerely, thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Are you going to use all scratch or better players in the new tests? If no, I'm voting to remove proximity to the flag completely. Find me an amateur around a 10 (which average is around 18 nationwide) that hits the green 5 times of 10 from 230 and I'll be impressed. Proximity to the pin shouldn't be used unless they're scratch or better and the club is fitted to the tester individually. The average distance an amateur hits a driver off the tee, nationwide, when factoring across all handicaps and ages? 220 yards. They're gonna have a tough time getting within 30 yards of the green with a fairway from 230. JMO

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

• SPY VIP

I think you will need to see how we do our new scoring. We have taken all of this into consideration.

Are you going to use all scratch or better players in the new tests? If no, I'm voting to remove proximity to the flag completely. Find me an amateur around a 10 (which average is around 18 nationwide) that hits the green 5 times of 10 from 230 and I'll be impressed. Proximity to the pin shouldn't be used unless they're scratch or better and the club is fitted to the tester individually. The average distance an amateur hits a driver off the tee, nationwide, when factoring across all handicaps and ages? 220 yards. They're gonna have a tough time getting within 30 yards of the green with a fairway from 230. JMO

#TruthDigest

Golf club reviews are tough because equipment and individual needs are different. I like cold hard facts like when you cut open a driver head and we get to see the quality on the inside. Even a Myth Busters style review or head to head comparisons so baselines are established.

I spy with my little eye something...

• SPY VIP

Maybe if their show picks us up...cause I would love to do that ;)

Golf club reviews are tough because equipment and individual needs are different. I like cold hard facts like when you cut open a driver head and we get to see the quality on the inside. Even a Myth Busters style review or head to head comparisons so baselines are established.

#TruthDigest

Archived