Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Putter Confidance

B_R_A_D_Y

Haven’t played golf in 14yrs. Got a new knee … so let to good puts roll. Noticed immediately my 20yr old clubs wouldn’t pass muster, but thought my 1970s Ping Power Slot would stand by me like in the old days. Not certain if I’m right, but the greens today seem a lot faster that 15yrs ago. Maybe it’s just that green maintenance has become easier for smaller local clubs to manage. In any case, I talked myself into getting a new one. Ordered it, but in the mean time I switched to another putter, a wood headed putter from Louisville Golf that I got in 1980. I loved it … allowed me to confidently bump puts on fast greens. Only problem was I had just paid $450 for the putter I ordered … so many sleepless nights dreading that I might not like it as much. Got the putter 3 weeks later and I do like it enough to put the wood putter out to pasture. But my putter is not the subject of this narrative. I played a round against an 88 yr old gentleman who was club champion a few times in his younger days. He was brandishing his old, late 1960s era BULLSEYE. The only way to get lower tec in a putter would be to use one from a Putt Putt course. Needless to say he complained that his putting was off … like all of us do. He was upset because he 2 putted every green. However, he never left a putt more than a foot … most times by inches. And a lot of his first putts were 15-30 feet. He putted great in my book. I asked him about the putter and he said he fell in love with it the instant he got it. I never asked if he ever tried something else. Wish I had. But what it truly proved to me was that a putter is only as good as your confidence in it. Duh! For $450, I hope my confidence stays with this one for the rest of my life.

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

Lots of people use the word confidence and tie it to multiple things.  The way the club looks or feels gives me confidence.  In my opinion confidence is built by performance.  If a club doesn’t perform like you expected, you will never have confidence.   The problem with expectations is that many people have unrealistic expectations or believe everyday should be like that one shot or that one round.    

over the years agronomy had changed and greens are much different and as a result techniques have changed and players have had tO adapt.   The adaptation fir someone playing old equipment that never stopped playing was gradual unlike a person who stopped playing and has to learn skills again.  

hope the new putter works for you.   What did you order and how did you pick the new flat stick? 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Every putt is straight. Period. You just have to find the correct line and speed. I have a Bullseye I took to Sawgrass and putted well. But I have 10 other putters ranging from free to $400. Just pick the line and hit it!

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips

Just now, HDTVMAN said:

Every putt is straight. Period.

That depends on if you are a linear or non linear thinker.   Some players need to play/visualize a curve.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I go with performance as the determinant of confidence.  Expectation is only what drives the impulse buy.  How many time have you seen a putter advertised to solve all problems then spent $300 (expectation) only to find you can't hit anything (performance) no matter what you do?  Or picked up a bargain for $10 (with no expectation) and putt lights out with it (performance).  

I like blade putters but am I confident in ALL blades?  No way.  But I'm also not going to buy a dozen different ones until I find the one that works.  Maybe I did that in the past trying the ones on the floor in the golf store then finding they don't work on the green.  Try, try again turned into buy, buy again and a garage full of putters.  Now with fittings available a lot of this can be narrowed down before I spend anything, especially if it's going to be $400.  I'd go the fitting route.  Expectation is higher and if it performs then expectation and performance = confidence.  If not, I can go back to the fitter and fix it.

GPS111

Putters are personal. Aging doesn’t impact the selection like what happens with a driver. Toe hang to match your swing can be an important variable in consistently stroking on your intended line  Notice the number of mallet styles now with toe hang and not just face balanced.  
Cory Pavin still uses a bullseye, Tiger, Jordan, and Steve Stricker have used the same putter for most of their careers. Dustin is back to his Spider that he rose to #1 this week at the Open. Yes, I have a $450 SC Mallet, but it may well be the last putter I ever have. We have gained mutual respect for each other. I asked responsibly when a putt fails.  It wasn’t the putter’s fault. Unlike driver that can go to the time out corner. 

Titleist TSR 11 degree, HZRDS Red R 44.75 LH

Titleist TSR-1 5/7 Woods LH

Titleist TSR-1 23 Hybrid LH

Titleist T200  7-48 - T350 6 Tensai AMT Red LH

Titleist SM9 50-54-58 TT AMT Red LH

Scotty Phantom X 7.5 RH

Just bought a Ping  Cushion putter on Ebay and paid $30 for it ! I had one 50 years ago and loved it but sold it many years ago. I used it today with a new Winn DryTrac grip and it is awesome. It puts lots of top spin on the ball. Rolls forever.

Love the sound.

OldGuyGolf

Your putter is just like the other 13 clubs.  You are best off by understanding a little of the dynamics, and your own stroke.  Try different styles and then get a fit.  New technology allows you to get a closer fit to your own stroke, more feedback into your hands, less likely for a off-angle contact.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

7 hours ago, B_R_A_D_Y said:

Haven’t played golf in 14yrs. Got a new knee … so let to good puts roll. Noticed immediately my 20yr old clubs wouldn’t pass muster, but thought my 1970s Ping Power Slot would stand by me like in the old days. Not certain if I’m right, but the greens today seem a lot faster that 15yrs ago. Maybe it’s just that green maintenance has become easier for smaller local clubs to manage. In any case, I talked myself into getting a new one. Ordered it, but in the mean time I switched to another putter, a wood headed putter from Louisville Golf that I got in 1980. I loved it … allowed me to confidently bump puts on fast greens. Only problem was I had just paid $450 for the putter I ordered … so many sleepless nights dreading that I might not like it as much. Got the putter 3 weeks later and I do like it enough to put the wood putter out to pasture. But my putter is not the subject of this narrative. I played a round against an 88 yr old gentleman who was club champion a few times in his younger days. He was brandishing his old, late 1960s era BULLSEYE. The only way to get lower tec in a putter would be to use one from a Putt Putt course. Needless to say he complained that his putting was off … like all of us do. He was upset because he 2 putted every green. However, he never left a putt more than a foot … most times by inches. And a lot of his first putts were 15-30 feet. He putted great in my book. I asked him about the putter and he said he fell in love with it the instant he got it. I never asked if he ever tried something else. Wish I had. But what it truly proved to me was that a putter is only as good as your confidence in it. Duh! For $450, I hope my confidence stays with this one for the rest of my life.

It's spelled "Callaway".  Not "Calloway".

Re: wood putter, I have a wooden mallet from Dave Musty, came to own it sort of by accident.  Love it.  I am probably going to order one from him with internal weights to stabilize it on short distance putts.  I use face balance putter.  I have used various ones and like the woodie more than my Scotty or new-ish Ping.  Musty is a skilled cabinet maker woodworker.  His website is nice.  Good luck.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

I purchased a custom Navy Blue Spider EX after trying several different models & brands. This model consistently lined up to my eye … left eye dom. I hit more straight puts with it. Specs: 37”, +1 up lie, 1 bend shaft, 3 wraps on the grip. Wanted a bigger grip but jumbo wasn’t an option. I’ll mess with that later.

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X