Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

PING G425 Shafts

I have the Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI in a 70 gram Stiff that came with the Ping 425 when I bought it used at PGA SS. At first, as seems to be the case with all new clubs, I hit it well- I was getting an extra 10-15 yards compared to my G410 LST. The reason I switched to the G425 was I was looking for more forgiveness, so with that in mind I also picked up an Alta Slate 55 CB off of EBay. I wanted something that might launch higher and I could age into. 😜 I actually didn’t launch the Alta higher than the Rogue. Thank also had better dispersion with the Alta. I hit it further with the Rogue, but I would gladly give that up to be in play more often. 
I will need a larger sample size before I decide on my “go to” shaft, but I was very impressed with the Alta. 
I have as wondering what others thought of the PING shafts? 

Driver: Callaway Paradym; Hzrdus Silver 50 Gram

3 Wood: Ping 410; "Otto Phlex" Project X Evenflow Riptide 

7 Wood: Callaway Epic Max 

3, 5-7 Irons: Callaway Apex 19

8-AW Irons: Callaway Apex Pro 19

Wedges: Callaway MD4 54, Callaway MD4 58 X Grind 

Putter: Evnroll ER2v; Midlock and Standard 34 inch with Gravity Gip

The ping tour shaft was a close second for me to the rogue white. They go the extra mile to make ping shafts that work specifically for the heads they design. Quality shafts in my opinion

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

I hit the Alta CB in a 425 LST (and Tour 65) during a fitting yesterday which performed as good or better than any other stock head and shaft combos for me. I think it is an underrated shaft that holds up well at a variety of swing speeds. I swing around 100 MPH and regularly play with a guy using a G410 LST with that version of the Alta CB 55 stiff whose handicap has been between 5-7 this year. His swing speed is comfortably in the 110-120 range because he routinely hits the ball 300 yards and can push it up to 310-320 on par 5's. Plays a fade and his big miss is a slice. I was surprised to see his driver setup the first time I played with him. 

Definitely will be asking him to try his driver a few times the next time we play in a scramble. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

1 hour ago, DukeStKing said:

I have the Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI in a 70 gram Stiff that came with the Ping 425 when I bought it used at PGA SS. At first, as seems to be the case with all new clubs, I hit it well- I was getting an extra 10-15 yards compared to my G410 LST. The reason I switched to the G425 was I was looking for more forgiveness, so with that in mind I also picked up an Alta Slate 55 CB off of EBay. I wanted something that might launch higher and I could age into. 😜 I actually didn’t launch the Alta higher than the Rogue. Thank also had better dispersion with the Alta. I hit it further with the Rogue, but I would gladly give that up to be in play more often. 
I will need a larger sample size before I decide on my “go to” shaft, but I was very impressed with the Alta. 

Ping shafts are designed by the engineers at ping to match their woods and hybrids. The ping tour shaft is a ust elements chrome+ and the Alta is an aldila shaft iirc. Ping shafts are really good and work well because of the previous mentioned point.

while the rogue white and Alta cb are both counterbalanced shafts you picked two opposite shafts. In weight alone you are in the extremes of the weigh range and from a design perspective they have different profiles.

as for forgiveness there’s a lot that goes into outside of the marketing of certain head sizes and moi numbers.

finding a head and shaft combo that gives optimal launch and spin will lead to a more forgiving setup that buying a driver that isn’t designed for low spin or to launch more. The more optimal setup will give better results on good hits and mishits where as the random buy could be more penal on both or just the mishits.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

16 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Ping shafts are designed by the engineers at ping to match their woods and hybrids. The ping tour shaft is a ust elements chrome+ and the Alta is an aldila shaft iirc. Ping shafts are really good and work well because of the previous mentioned point.

while the rogue white and Alta cb are both counterbalanced shafts you picked two opposite shafts. In weight alone you are in the extremes of the weigh range and from a design perspective they have different profiles.

as for forgiveness there’s a lot that goes into outside of the marketing of certain head sizes and moi numbers.

finding a head and shaft combo that gives optimal launch and spin will lead to a more forgiving setup that buying a driver that isn’t designed for low spin or to launch more. The more optimal setup will give better results on good hits and mishits where as the random buy could be more penal on both or just the mishits.

I hit my old 410LST and the 425 Max with a fitter before I “upgraded.” During the fitting I used a variety of shafts- I got the Rogue White on a deal - traded in my 410 and an old 400 Crossover plus a $100 at PGA SS, which to me was a great deal. Because I hit it well with the Alta, I subsequently picked one up. I’m a gear head and would never make a major change “randomly.” 
I just find it interesting that FOR ME, the Alta did not launch higher than the Rogue and that I was getting better dispersion with the Alta. Most interesting, I was getting more length with the heavier shaft, as you would think my swing speed would be higher with the lighter shaft. I have a free trial of Accros, so while I hit one 290 with the Alta, my longest shot with the Rogue was 270, the Rouge average was 260, while the Alta was 248. (That’s not random information) 

29 minutes ago, DukeStKing said:

I hit my old 410LST and the 425 Max with a fitter before I “upgraded.” During the fitting I used a variety of shafts- I got the Rogue White on a deal - traded in my 410 and an old 400 Crossover plus a $100 at PGA SS, which to me was a great deal. Because I hit it well with the Alta, I subsequently picked one up. I’m a gear head and would never make a major change “randomly.” 
I just find it interesting that FOR ME, the Alta did not launch higher than the Rogue and that I was getting better dispersion with the Alta. Most interesting, I was getting more length with the heavier shaft, as you would think my swing speed would be higher with the lighter shaft. I have a free trial of Accros, so while I hit one 290 with the Alta, my longest shot with the Rogue was 270, the Rouge average was 260, while the Alta was 248. (That’s not random information) 

Without seeing the launch, spin, peak, land angle along with ball speed and smash factor it would be say why one shaft would lead to longer distance over the other. Shafts themselves also don’t have a significant impact on launch and spin, the way a person delivers the club with each plays a much bigger role. Shaft weight doesnt necessarily impact swing speed like many thing. That’s been shown by several on this forum and iirc there’s several videos on TXG as well as some other channels showing the same.

it’s possible that the heavier shaft along with stiffer tip in the rogue white your spin is lower and with same launch added distance, also possible the same for dispersion because it has you delivering the club face more consistently and improves your sequencing compared to the Alta, but again without seeing all the numbers these are all speculations 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

33 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Without seeing the launch, spin, peak, land angle along with ball speed and smash factor it would be say why one shaft would lead to longer distance over the other. Shafts themselves also don’t have a significant impact on launch and spin, the way a person delivers the club with each plays a much bigger role. Shaft weight doesnt necessarily impact swing speed like many thing. That’s been shown by several on this forum and iirc there’s several videos on TXG as well as some other channels showing the same.

it’s possible that the heavier shaft along with stiffer tip in the rogue white your spin is lower and with same launch added distance, also possible the same for dispersion because it has you delivering the club face more consistently and improves your sequencing compared to the Alta, but again without seeing all the numbers these are all speculations 

I didn’t hit the Rogue in comparison to the Alta during the fitting- just the Tensei Orange and the Tour. My numbers were better with the Alta. Like I said, I got the Rogue with the deal on the used 425 Max, it’s just gravy” that I’m having the success with it that I am. I really like having two very different feeling shafts so if my in a rut driving the ball, a change can feel good. Sometimes it’s not numbers- it’s what feels good. 😊

21 minutes ago, DukeStKing said:

I didn’t hit the Rogue in comparison to the Alta during the fitting- just the Tensei Orange and the Tour. My numbers were better with the Alta. Like I said, I got the Rogue with the deal on the used 425 Max, it’s just gravy” that I’m having the success with it that I am. I really like having two very different feeling shafts so if my in a rut driving the ball, a change can feel good. Sometimes it’s not numbers- it’s what feels good. 😊

All 3 of those shafts are counterbalanced but with different profiles. Understood on not hitting the rogue in your fitting, just saying that without numbers is speculation on why the Alta and rogue go different distances. Also assuming the distances you gave earlier are total distance since you didn’t hit the rogue in a fitting. It’s quite possible because of spin, launch, peak and apex the rogue has more release and that both shaft could be landing in same area but the Alta not getting the same release or the Alta just carries shorter and therefore has less total distance.

but yeah it’s nice having options you are comfortable with 

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

All 3 of those shafts are counterbalanced but with different profiles. Understood on not hitting the rogue in your fitting, just saying that without numbers is speculation on why the Alta and rogue go different distances. Also assuming the distances you gave earlier are total distance since you didn’t hit the rogue in a fitting. It’s quite possible because of spin, launch, peak and apex the rogue has more release and that both shaft could be landing in same area but the Alta not getting the same release or the Alta just carries shorter and therefore has less total distance.

but yeah it’s nice having options you are comfortable with 

The Arccos measures total distance. I’ll pay more attention to the peak height to see if that may be the key factor. Thanks for your feedback. 

8 minutes ago, DukeStKing said:

The Arccos measures total distance. I’ll pay more attention to the peak height to see if that may be the key factor. Thanks for your feedback. 

The thing to watch is what the ball does when it reaches that point. Does it balloon up and then drop out of the sky....this is too much spin. Does it hit the peak and then ride that  for a bit before starting to come down...this is what you want to see. Does it get then then just die/knuckle...this is not enough spin

1 hour ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The thing to watch is what the ball does when it reaches that point. Does it balloon up and then drop out of the sky....this is too much spin. Does it hit the peak and then ride that  for a bit before starting to come down...this is what you want to see. Does it get then then just die/knuckle...this is not enough spin

Excellent- thank you very much. 

• 2 months later...

This was really helpful info … thank you. Currently game Titleist TS2 with the Tensei Blue 55 stiff shaft and while I love the club, my swing speed has gotten stronger and my tempo has changed up a bit as well. 

Don’t feel as though I’m getting the full potential from that shaft anymore and have been eyeing PING’s 425 LST. 

Driver: :ping-small: G410 SFT 10.5*

3W: :cobra-small:  Speedzone 14.5*

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 19* & 21*

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

Wedges: image.png.3c33ed301e51199de9e62f474f52b6e0.png T22 55* & 59*

Putter: image.png.f53011d6b358811f2c4cdcc166aeeffa.png  002 Mid-Mallet

Ball:  Callaway Chrome Soft LS & :Snell: Prime-X

image.png

1 hour ago, mikeanthony said:

This was really helpful info … thank you. Currently game Titleist TS2 with the Tensei Blue 55 stiff shaft and while I love the club, my swing speed has gotten stronger and my tempo has changed up a bit as well. 

Don’t feel as though I’m getting the full potential from that shaft anymore and have been eyeing PING’s 425 LST. 

Why change from a higher spin driver to a lower spin just because you may have maxed out potential with a current shaft? Why not get the same shaft in the 65g range? 

Better yet why not go get fit and see if the shaft is really underperforming for your new speed and get a driver and shaft combo that works for you instead of just buying a certain driver blind if the goal is to improve performance 

Also why the g425 lst model? Do you need less spin? Do you need it because the shaft in the TS2 or the combo itself spins too much? If you think so what is that based on?

Noted. Thanks. 

Irons: image.png.ec9b0a77ef708074b5547162186659f4.png  Forged Tec One Length (5i-GW)

image.png

On 7/28/2021 at 2:19 PM, DukeStKing said:

I played the Alta CB on my G410P and still play those on my G400 3w & 5w. This past winter, as part of a full bag fitting, I tested other driver shafts and found the KBS TD to offer better numbers.  Not huge, but 5-7 yards more carry and less dispersion was worth the $$ I paid.  

My TrueSpec fitter had great things to say about PING shafts and that, unlike many of the other OEM's, they really invest lots of engineering time with shaft mfg.'s. in developing their brand name stock shafts.  But... he said the big problem with the mass produced shafts is that it's like playing Russian Roulette - the consistency in build varies and you might get one that performs like the one you tested and you might not. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

I played the Alta CB on my G410P and still play those on my G400 3w & 5w. This past winter, as part of a full bag fitting, I tested other driver shafts and found the KBS TD to offer better numbers.  Not huge, but 5-7 yards more carry and less dispersion was worth the $$ I paid.  

My TrueSpec fitter had great things to say about PING shafts and that, unlike many of the other OEM's, they really invest lots of engineering time with shaft mfg.'s. in developing their brand name stock shafts.  But... he said the big problem with the mass produced shafts is that it's like playing Russian Roulette - the consistency in build varies and you might get one that performs like the one you tested and you might not. 

Oh wow. That says a lot … a $350 shaft outdoing a stock shaft by only 5-7 yards, with less dispersion. And like you said, worth the $$$ paid … but impressive nonetheless from PING’s Alta CBs. 

image.png

5 minutes ago, mikeanthony said:

Oh wow. That says a lot … a $350 shaft outdoing a stock shaft by only 5-7 yards, with less dispersion. And like you said, worth the $$$ paid … but impressive nonetheless from PING’s Alta CBs. 

I read many comments/reviews by folks claiming some pretty amazing (might we say outlandish) improvements, most commonly distance gains, but the skeptical side of me has its doubts.  My LM data was suggesting 10+ yards but I've not seen that in play.  The Alta CB was a stiff and the fitter felt that my SS was on the fence between R & S and also didn't think the CB was my best fit.  I found another source for the new KBS TD and it cost me $230.  Only a dozen more rounds and I'll have amortized my $$/Distance investment 🙂.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Official Review)