Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

3 Wood Advice

lefty_mm

Hey everyone,

Let me preface this by saying my miss with driver and 3 wood has always been a slice. It used to be much more prevalent than it is now, but still sometimes gets out of control. Anyway, I recently upgraded my 3 wood to a Cobra Rad Speed Draw from an old Ping G15. I have it set at 14.5* standard lie. What lead me to this draw model was that I currently play a TM R1 driver set at 10*, slightly closed, upright, with the weights to the draw setting. The Rad Speed very much mirrors this setup which I thought would work well. Now I'm finding that I'm overdrawing and hooking my misses. Is it likely that this setup just creates too much of a draw for me? I know this is likely less complicated than I am making it to be, just very confused and frustrated. I will say though, the good shots with this Rad Speed are great. Any advice is appreciated.

It could be the the face design is causing it, it could be the shaft, could be a combo of the two. 

This is the issue with blind buying clubs based on a design aspect to offset a ball flight instead of getting fit to find a head design and shaft combo that fits your swing and ball flight. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Unfortunately every club is different and people react to the clubs feel which influences performance.   The only advice is types different settings and practice to see what works. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Three woods tend to be 15º now [wooden ones were 17°} , and the "strong three," which we used to call a "2-wood," is usually clocked in at 13.5.

For slower swing speed players, 15° off the deck may never be a great idea.  Even if you strike the ball cleanly and launch it properly, 

you may not have the swing speed to make the ball reach prime trajectory.   It's entirely possible that you'll get more carry from a 16.5° 4-wood.

If the issue is shot shape rather than carry distance, and you have no problem smashing a 15, a hooked face to avoid a slice is a last resort solution.

You probably can't feel that you're casting over the top when you swing.   A person watching you can tell you that you are.

Staying inside the ball might feel weird at first, but after you stripe a few balls, it will feel more natural.

Edited by BostonSal

Louisville Golf Persimmon___2, 4, 5, 7-woods;    Epon AF-906___driving iron;   Titleist T100 5, 6, 7, 8, 9-irons; 

Titleist T100S___48°;     Edison 2.0___53º;     Titleist SM-9 (T)___58º;   Tad Moore Otto Hackbarth___putter;   

Titleist Pro V1x___ball

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2021 at 3:08 PM, BostonSal said:

Three woods tend to be 15º now [wooden ones were 17°} , and the "strong three," which we used to call a "2-wood," is usually clocked in at 13.5.

For slower swing speed players, 15° off the deck may never be a great idea.  Even if you strike the ball cleanly and launch it properly, 

you may not have the swing speed to make the ball reach prime trajectory.   It's entirely possible that you'll get more carry from a 16.5° 4-wood.

If the issue is shot shape rather than carry distance, and you have no problem smashing a 15, a hooked face to avoid a slice is a last resort solution.

You probably can't feel that you're casting over the top when you swing.   A person watching you can tell you that you are.

Staying inside the ball might feel weird at first, but after you stripe a few balls, it will feel more natural.

I agree with this advice - do you know how far you carry your 3 wood?

It’s entirely possible, even likely, that you may hit something between 18-16.5 farther and straighter.

Good luck 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD