Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Accelerator Speed Training

... Got these as a gift and decided to finally put them to use. When I started playing golf with a persimmon driver I got proficient with my irons quickly but my driving was very erratic. One day on a golf vacation with a friend I hit a 7 iron from 155 on a par 3 to a few inches and said to my partner "I wish I could swing my driver like my 7 iron" and he simply asked why not try it? Asking him to elaborate he said my way too much effort driver swing is quite different than my smooth and effortless looking iron swing. So on the next tee I pretend I had a 7 iron in my hand and swung like I was trying to hit it 155yds. Best drive I had ever hit and the light bulb was fully illuminated. The downside is I never pursued a faster swing with my driver and I decided it is time to try and change that. 

... Using the Super Speed training system my first session showed me just how controlled my driver swing is. By the end of the session swinging the lightest weighted club as fast as humanly possible I realize how much more I have in my tank. I am not looking to Bryson up my swing and gain 20mph but if I can add 5-7 mph it will be well worth the effort. 10 mph faster would be a dream come true at 68yrs old and if I can drive the ball more than 250-270yds getting to 280-300yds it would more closely match the rest of my game. Should at least be interesting! 

https://www.hurricanegolf.com/accelerator-swing-speed-training-system.html

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

Well I just ordered the Detroit Golf Brand, $119 from Amazon earlier. Due to arrive in a couple of days. Basically the same as Hurricane and Super-Speed.

https://www.amazon.com/Detroit-Golf-Co-Piece-Accelerator/dp/B08QRNLF8B/ref=pd_lpo_3?pd_rd_i=B08QRNLF8B&psc=1

51WWRuux-zL._AC_SL1070_.jpg

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

4 minutes ago, GaDawg said:

Well I just ordered the Detroit Golf Brand, $119 from Amazon earlier. Due to arrive in a couple of days. Basically the same as Hurricane and Super-Speed.

https://www.amazon.com/Detroit-Golf-Co-Piece-Accelerator/dp/B08QRNLF8B/ref=pd_lpo_3?pd_rd_i=B08QRNLF8B&psc=1

51WWRuux-zL._AC_SL1070_.jpg

... Nice! A couple of "young" old guys increasing their swing speed. I mean we walk the course and stay in shape so why not give it a go? 💪

... A question of you guys that have done speed training. The purpose of course is to retrain muscles to swing faster which takes all out max swings with speed training clubs. In order to accomplish that, I move my body much faster than I do with my normal swing and that causes problems on the course. Since I play 5 days a week I have to do the training before I play and I find the residual effect carries over to my game and I spend much of my time trying NOT to move my body quickly. Playing NOT golf is never a good idea. 

... So for those of you that have had success with speed training, how did you overcome all out training swings when on the course? My game has always been accuracy and finesse and never power, so I am struggling with the training and feel like it might be detrimental for my game. It clearly is in the short run but like most swing changes the hope is an improvement in the long run. 

8 minutes ago, chisag said:

... A question of you guys that have done speed training. The purpose of course is to retrain muscles to swing faster which takes all out max swings with speed training clubs. In order to accomplish that, I move my body much faster than I do with my normal swing and that causes problems on the course. Since I play 5 days a week I have to do the training before I play and I find the residual effect carries over to my game and I spend much of my time trying NOT to move my body quickly. Playing NOT golf is never a good idea. 

... So for those of you that have had success with speed training, how did you overcome all out training swings when on the course? My game has always been accuracy and finesse and never power, so I am struggling with the training and feel like it might be detrimental for my game. It clearly is in the short run but like most swing changes the hope is an improvement in the long run. 

Your body adjusts. I did superspeed training and I remember being extremely frustrated because there was like a one month span when I didn’t know where the ball was going. 

I spoke to the superspeed guys and they said this is normal and they said I should start seeing by timing sync back up. Sure enough, it did 

... OK, I have postponed my speed training. Talked with a really good player in his 50's yesterday that went through speed training and suffered the same thing. He had to take lessons to get his swing back to where he could play again. His instructor told him something I found interesting. He said Speed Training is great for younger players that grew up with speed and power in their game but is very, very difficult for those that grew up playing a much more controlled game with persimmon woods and balata balls. He said it isn't impossible but he has "fixed" more than a few that went down that rabbit hole. Thankfully I know my swing well enough that I didn't need lessons but I did get lost for a bit down that rabbit hole.

... I would add, he!! maybe I was doing it wrong as well. I was trying to swing at max speed as instructed kinda like Dechambeau, which for me at least means moving my body much faster than my normal swing. I could do it and sequence with no ball swinging at air, but of course it felt completely out of control. So I am thinking I may try again in a few months with my own take on the program. Start slow, swinging just a hair faster than normal and keeping my body-arms-club sequencing in tact. Then slowly start increasing my speed. Of course that may not work either but it might be worth a try. I am reminded of Scott Verplank that won the Western Open as a college amateur and said if he was going to compete, he would need to hit it much higher and much farther. I thought at the time "Compete? You just beat all of them!" After he chased distance and a higher trajectory for several years he went back to his college coach and started winning on Tour with his old game. 

... The one thing I do know is after swinging all out, it is obvious I have more speed in the tank IF I can learn to harness it. And I am talking about just 5 mph more and not looking to become a long drive contestant. Lots to think about in the future ...