Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Shortening Driver Question

Hey guys, I have a quick question. I've been read a bunch and keep reading different things, so I figured I'd just ask for my specific scenario.

I was recently fit for a Callaway Rouge ST Triple Diamond LS with Tensei AV White 75 X-Stiff at standard length. I haven't submitted the order yet because I really want to go to 44.5 length instead of 45.75. (Recently played a couple weeks with the TM Mini Driver and enjoyed that is was considerably shorter) This will be my first Callaway driver in 10-12 years, I've been playing Titleist since then. My question is: If I order it at 44.5 will Callaway adjust the swing weight and such? Or will they just cut the shaft, throw on a grip and send it to me? How bad will this affect my lie angle, swing weight, etc...? Anyone out there with Callaway knowledge or suggestions on what I should do here?

:titelist-small: TS3, 8.5°

:taylormade-small: M5, 3 wood

:cleveland-small: Halo 3i, 22°

:mizuno-small: MP-18SC, 4-PW

:vokey-small: 52°

:vokey-small: 58°

:scotty-small: California Monterey

9 minutes ago, J10 said:

Hey guys, I have a quick question. I've been read a bunch and keep reading different things, so I figured I'd just ask for my specific scenario.

I was recently fit for a Callaway Rouge ST Triple Diamond LS with Tensei AV White 75 X-Stiff at standard length. I haven't submitted the order yet because I really want to go to 44.5 length instead of 45.75. (Recently played a couple weeks with the TM Mini Driver and enjoyed that is was considerably shorter) This will be my first Callaway driver in 10-12 years, I've been playing Titleist since then. My question is: If I order it at 44.5 will Callaway adjust the swing weight and such? Or will they just cut the shaft, throw on a grip and send it to me? How bad will this affect my lie angle, swing weight, etc...? Anyone out there with Callaway knowledge or suggestions on what I should do here?

Great question, I can't say that I know what Callaway would do, but best bet I think would be to talk to the fitter, and also call Callaway customer service and talk to a fitter or builder if you are able to. Are you trying to match the swing weight to the TM mini driver?  or just the swing weight for the original driver build minus the loss of length?

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

2 minutes ago, RollingGreens said:

Great question, I can't say that I know what Callaway would do, but best bet I think would be to talk to the fitter, and also call Callaway customer service and talk to a fitter or builder if you are able to. Are you trying to match the swing weight to the TM mini driver?  or just the swing weight for the original driver build minus the loss of length?

Not as much worried about swing weight as long as it is close and doesn't feel like a clunker. If it's going to make it drastically different then I'd be worried. But I've played D3 and D4 in back to back day and been just fine. I'm more worried about lie angle I think, because my irons are 2 degrees upright. I've always played drivers at standard and been fine, but I read that it can make the driver 2 degrees flatter... but sometimes reading things on the internet can be bad, lol. 

:titelist-small: TS3, 8.5°

:taylormade-small: M5, 3 wood

:cleveland-small: Halo 3i, 22°

:mizuno-small: MP-18SC, 4-PW

:vokey-small: 52°

:vokey-small: 58°

:scotty-small: California Monterey

Just now, J10 said:

Not as much worried about swing weight as long as it is close and doesn't feel like a clunker. If it's going to make it drastically different then I'd be worried. But I've played D3 and D4 in back to back day and been just fine. I'm more worried about lie angle I think, because my irons are 2 degrees upright. I've always played drivers at standard and been fine, but I read that it can make the driver 2 degrees flatter... but sometimes reading things on the internet can be bad, lol. 

So basically it's less about weight and more about the lie angle. Well the TM Mini Driver at least for the 300 has the lie between 57-60 and the Callaway when I just looked it up is 57 and it can be adjusted. So looks like if you do go flatter you should at least be able to adjust your lie at least one degree upright with the hosel adapter, I am not sure if you could get 2 degrees out of it from searching online because the adapter adjust lie to be neutral or draw

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

I believe your fitter has the option to include notes when he places the order.  I would tell him to indicate what swing weight you'd like them to get the club to.  Callaway can add a heavier weight in the port and use a tip weight in the shaft to get it as close as they can to what you want.  

Even if customer service tells you something and you're fine with it, I would still put the notes in to make sure someone else down the line doesn't do something different.  I remember a thread by someone on here that placed an order for Mizuno irons at 1" long knowing that they would come in at a very heavy swing weight and wanted it that way, but they didn't indicate that in the build and Mizuno did their standard thing and swapped in B weight heads so the clubs ended up like 3 points lighter than what the guy wanted.

So you were fit for a certain length but want to go with something different? I don’t see why in your OP.

The TM mini driver is also a smaller head than the Callaway driver so it’s not only shorter but smaller.

As to the question about. Outside of Ping, it’s somewhat of a crap shoot on whether an OEM will match the swingweight requested or by request of shorter shaft. They all pretty much say they will try but there is no guarantee. Has you have notes from your reading you have probably seen some post theirs were done to requested swing weight or it was adjusted based on their length request while others have had issues with it being off. The chances that they will adjust lie is pretty low

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 3/15/2022 at 7:41 PM, J10 said:

My 2 cents, ask for tip weight to adjust swing weight. If Callaway uses hot melt you can never change that weight. Never say never on shaft length or for resale.&

If the fitter is certified with Callaway he/ she can ask for the specific parameters you want. 

The lie angle of the club is flatter to begin with. If you hit is well the shorter club will be easier to hit

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

59 minutes ago, McGolf said:

If the fitter is certified with Callaway he/ she can ask for the specific parameters you want. 

The lie angle of the club is flatter to begin with. If you hit is well the shorter club will be easier to hit

What does certification have to do with it. I know people who had their orders submitted by the sales rep and they didn’t get the swingweight they asked for. It was still within the build tolerance but was lighter than requested.

Ime and also reading various forums brands don’t guarantee they will match the order, this includes titleist. Ping is the only brand I know of that will do it especially if it comes from their reps

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

The certified fitter has access to an inside person to ask for specific parameters after the fitting.

If they didn't get the swing weight they asked for then how was it in tolerance? 

And thats why we measure the stuff when it comes in.

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

6 minutes ago, McGolf said:

The certified fitter has access to an inside person to ask for specific parameters after the fitting.

If they didn't get the swing weight they asked for then how was it in tolerance? 

And thats why we measure the stuff when it comes in.

A carried fitter has no more access than a sales rep from the same brand. Tolerances for swings weights are typically 1-2 points. They request d4 and get d2 that’s within tolerance.

They request shorter shaft and to get swingweight to match the default but it comes in lighter by 1.5 still within tolerance.

Ime certified fitter doesn’t mean a whole lot. Definitely doesn’t gurantee a good fitting and I’ve seen that firsthand with Ping, Titleist and TaylorMade.

Not to mention you can literally read peoples experiences with what they requested from an OEM and see they didn’t even get close to it. TaylorMade and Callaway are two of the brands that brands with recent issues. Mizuno and titleist lately have joined that group

On 3/17/2022 at 3:34 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

A carried fitter has no more access than a sales rep from the same brand. Tolerances for swings weights are typically 1-2 points. They request d4 and get d2 that’s within tolerance.

They request shorter shaft and to get swingweight to match the default but it comes in lighter by 1.5 still within tolerance.

Ime certified fitter doesn’t mean a whole lot. Definitely doesn’t gurantee a good fitting and I’ve seen that firsthand with Ping, Titleist and TaylorMade.

Not to mention you can literally read peoples experiences with what they requested from an OEM and see they didn’t even get close to it. TaylorMade and Callaway are two of the brands that brands with recent issues. Mizuno and titleist lately have joined that group

I can only attest to my experience and I do have a greater access to the company when needed.

Id aggree not all fitters are on the same level. however it also means not everyone is going to get a poor fitting either and to the point a 1 -2 sw pt change would be unnoticed by the largest percentage of golfers. Most only feel the difference is when the spec sheet is read. Keeping mind of course being on mark is more preferable. 

To last comment about mizuno and others, I have a set of new irons that are off by more than that and will be correcting shortly. This is a shame it occurs more frequently now.

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

1 hour ago, McGolf said:

I can only attest to my experience and I do have a greater access to the company when needed.

What access to a company do you have that is greater than what the sales reps have?

1 hour ago, McGolf said:

Id aggree not all fitters are on the same level. however it also means not everyone is going to get a poor fitting either and to the point a 1 -2 sw pt change would be unnoticed by the largest percentage of golfers. Most only feel the difference is when the spec sheet is read. Keeping mind of course being on mark is more preferable. 

Agree, what I’m talking about are the small minority of golfers who check their orders against the build sheet/request. 

I know multiple fitters who aren’t “certified” that are better than “certified” ones. But same goes for club builders. I have met and been fitted by fitters/demo day reps who have been trained by the company at HQ who are terrible at fitting. 

1 hour ago, McGolf said:

To last comment about mizuno and others, I have a set of new irons that are off by more than that and will be correcting shortly. This is a shame it occurs more frequently now.

Unfortunately due to high volume, lack of staff and all the other issues from the last two years standards have been lower than many are accustomed too. Again just like with the swing weight aspect the percentage of golfers who know this or who check is small compared to the golfing public.

Theres some on this forum and others who didn’t know there were build tolerances for loft, lie, length, swingweight. For those that do/did also know that compared to other industries the tolerances in gif builds are a lot higher than let say in construction and various manufacturing areas.

On 3/15/2022 at 7:41 PM, J10 said:

Lot of tour pro's play 43.5". When Callaway builds the club they should address all your concerns