Testers Wanted! T Squared Putters ×

What is the wittiest, or not so wittiest comment by a golf personality?

RoverRick

I was reading some golf news on my iPhone earlier and came across one of the wittiest comments I have seen in a while by a golf writer. They usually just make me wonder how the got the job in the first place. I wish I could attribute it properly but I forget who wrote it. It was a recap of last weekend and he says, I woke up and "Thought I was watching the Flintstone's with Robert Rock winning the Abu Dhabi Doo Championship."

I am not one to usually laugh out loud but I did at that for some reason. I need more laughs, so What is the funniest comment you have come across.

And if you want to vent what is the dumbest comment you have heard on pertaining to golf.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 15°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:mizuno-small: ST190 18° on Graphite Design AD DJ 7S 

:ping-small: G425 22°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I love watching the European Tour, because the commentators comment on ANYTHING, not just golf. They're not really witty, but it's still comical. The other day they were showing a bird that looked like a herron, with a longer curved beak; one of the commentators said "well isn't that an odd looking fellow", then he proceeded to talk about the bird for another couple minutes.

As far as non-wittiest comments, I would have to say about 75% of what Johnny Miller says is non-witty. I like Johnny Miller, but he says a lot of stupid things on tv, while trying to be witty.

I still think the Bikini Wax comment that got Gary McCord booted from the Masters broadcast was a classic.

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* HZRDUS HC Yellow 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

• 2 months later...

Apparently, knowing about golf has very little to do with being an announcer on Golf Channel. It was playing in the background just a bit ago, and they were doing Live from the Masters. Where they endlessly drone on and on about anything, and they were talking about some pro who hit driver off the deck during the practice round. And this idiot says, "he was swinging so hard it was leaving sparks when it hit the grass."

Swing speed had nothing to do with it, well, it did but not because he was swinging faster than anyone else. A driver head is made from Titanium. The grass in Augusta contains a lot of moisture because the rain they have gotten. (Tiger complained that in 7 drives into the fairway he got 7 mud balls.) When you strike wet grass with a Titanium Club you get a spark, everytime. This also works on carpet if there is enough humiditiy in the air. This idiot made it sound like he was about to start a fire with his blazing swing speed.

Tiger Woods during the Match Play a little while back after stomping on Ames "Nine and Eight." Just the matter of fact way he put it out there.

In Nick's Ogio Edge Stand Bag
Driver: Taylormade Rocketballz 9.5* Aldila Rip'd NV Stiff
Fairway: Tour Edge CB4 15* Rip Gamma Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro A12 18* KBS Tour X
Irons: Mizuno MP-53 3-PW DG X100
Wedges: Mizuno MP R-12 52* & 56* DG Spinner
Putter: Taylormade Ghost Spider Si 38"

Apparently, knowing about golf has very little to do with being an announcer on Golf Channel. It was playing in the background just a bit ago, and they were doing Live from the Masters. Where they endlessly drone on and on about anything, and they were talking about some pro who hit driver off the deck during the practice round. And this idiot says, "he was swinging so hard it was leaving sparks when it hit the grass."

Swing speed had nothing to do with it, well, it did but not because he was swinging faster than anyone else. A driver head is made from Titanium. The grass in Augusta contains a lot of moisture because the rain they have gotten. (Tiger complained that in 7 drives into the fairway he got 7 mud balls.) When you strike wet grass with a Titanium Club you get a spark, everytime. This also works on carpet if there is enough humiditiy in the air. This idiot made it sound like he was about to start a fire with his blazing swing speed.

Rick that also happens a lot down here at the beach with the extremely sandy soil and micro rocks you can do it with a fairway wood or hybrid down here. A few years ago some friends of mine were visiting and we were down here on the beach late at night hitting whiffle balls with an old 5 metal wood it put on a little show. At the ranges at night down here you will also see it

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Johnny Miller has had a few edgy ones but the one that was edgy that made me laugh the most was when he went 'If Ben Hogan saw that swing he'd puke.' In reference to Craig Perry's swing as it was a huge cast over the top move. He won that tournament but gawd that is an ugly swing.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I wonder if these announcers can even say just Freddie Couples. Or has he officially changed his name to 52 year old Freedie Couples. Of course it could be worse, just ask Former World's Number 1 Lee Westwood. Of course, Last Week's Winner Hunter Mayhan is not particularly upset about his new name. But Tiger, who had not won a full field even since he ran his SUV into a fire hydrant and admitted to several affairs until he won at Bay Hill a few weeks ago, Woods still takes the first prize.

Feherty and McCord are the kings of golf announcing, they should do every single broadcast, love those guys, their insight, their jokes and comments! They are funny and witty without even trying most of the time!

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Archived