Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

PGA Tour 2023 - The Players Championship

Splatt

8 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

in my opinion and vast experience at high level competition, A timely or important putt would be any putt of any distance that could or would 1-keep momentum going 2-extend a lead by a comfortable margin ie: 2-3 strokes, 3-settle your nerves by making a putt that in your mind you should make 4-cut into the gap between you and the leader... that is all I can think about at this time.

I suppose if you havent experienced competitive golf no putt matters.

Thanks for the clarification,  in my mind, this is more about the mental aspect of the game and could apply to any shot during the round and doesn’t directly translate to being “good” at putting. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Guy was lights out, to start cold, then heat up like that as the storm was really picking up, nailed 17 like it was nothing. On a course that started to gobble up golfers, with the exception of Hatton and Hoge also, Scheffler was unphased 

I like golf. You should like golf. If life is tough, play more golf!

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-MJ 6x

Titleist TSr3 18 Degree, Graphite Design Tour Ad-DI 7x

Takomo 301CB's, KBS Tours 120S

Vokey SM8 48 10F, 52 08F, 56 08M, 60 08M

Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini, Versa Scheme, 17" Fatso 3.0 Grip, 40"

Jazz Tacoma Cart Bag

Titleist Pro V1x

31 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Thanks for the clarification,  in my mind, this is more about the mental aspect of the game and could apply to any shot during the round and doesn’t directly translate to being “good” at putting. 

At the professional level, you are correct, golf is 90 percent mental

committed to performance excellence

5 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

At the professional level, you are correct, golf is 90 percent mental

Why not at any level; in golf the only thing you can control is yourself.  Hit shots that will  provide the best outcome for success, don’t try to force things, and don’t make emotional decisions.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Just got home from Sawgrass. I live in Saint Augustine (30 miles),and volunteer every year at the Players. Rain held off yesterday until tournament finished. What a beautiful course. I get a free round at Stadium course for my reward for all last week. Can’t wait to go and humble myself!

5 hours ago, cnosil said:

Why not at any level; in golf the only thing you can control is yourself.  Hit shots that will  provide the best outcome for success, don’t try to force things, and don’t make emotional decisions.  

Hmm, don’t really know about any level, I would say off hand that striking the ball in the center may be more important at a certain level. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSI3 - 10*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus - 10.5*, Oban Kiyoshi Purple O4Flex-65 Grams Purred
3 Wood: :taylormade-small: SIM - 15*, Graphite Design Tour AD DJ5 Stiff
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS3 - 19*, Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff
Irons: :titelist-small:  5 - PW T150, with Nippon Zelos 7 Reg, 4 iron - U505 with Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff

Wedges: :titelist-small: Vokey SM 8 - 50*, 60* Standard Wedge Shafts

Wedge: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 MG3 56* S200 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Studio Select Newport 1.5        
Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1x

14 hours ago, Jim Shaw said:

Hmm, don’t really know about any level, I would say off hand that striking the ball in the center may be more important at a certain level. 

That is a skill that is worked on outside of a competitive round. We were discussing things that happen during the round.  

Tonight, I watched the opening few holes again of the final group/final round. 
That opening 2-iron from Min Woo and the subsequent birdie really have me pining for what could have been.
I'd even forgotten that for a very brief moment in time Min and Scottie were tied for the lead.

Scottie with some serious Tiger vibes of such complete determination that it affects those around. It really could have only ever gone one way.

Super happy for my boy Min Woo, though 😄

You can quote me later, but Min Woo Lee is getting his first PGA Tour win this season

Edited by Splatt

Driver: :cobra-small: Speedzone 9.5 degree (love this club)
Fairway Wood - :callaway-small: Warbird (to be replaced ASAP)
Hybrid - :taylormade-small: SIM2 MAX 19 degree, (not a fan, but getting there)
Irons - :callaway-small: Warbird 4 iron to PW (to be replaced ASAP)
Wedges - :taylormade-small: MG2 50 degree, :mizuno-small: T22 54 degree, :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 58 degree
Putter -  LAB Golf - MEZZ.1 MAX - 2023 MGS TEST
Ball - :bridgestone-small: E6 (stands for 3-putt apparently)

1 minute ago, Splatt said:

Tonight, I watched the opening few holes again of the final group/final round. 
That opening 2-iron from Min Woo and the subsequent birdie really have me pining for what could have been.
I'd even forgotten that for a very brief moment in time Min and Scottie were tied for the lead.

Scottie with some very serious Tiger vibes of such complete determination that it affects those around. It really could have only ever gone one way.

Super happy for my boy Min woo, though 😄

You can quote me later, but Min Woo Lee is getting his first PGA Tour win this season

You could be right, kids got game and bloodline. 

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

That is a skill that is worked on outside of a competitive round. We were discussing things that happen during the round.  

In my experience all the skills and reps I do outside of a competitive round are purposefully fine tuned to execute during a competitive round. 

16 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

In my experience all the skills and reps I do outside of a competitive round are purposefully fine tuned to execute during a competitive round. 

Don’t disagree and that is what I said.  Don’t work on your skills during a competitive round; focus on making the correct mental decisions that are appropriate for your skill level. Going back to your example, would/should a player be woking on the skill to more consistently hit the center of the club face during a competitive round?  During your practice you work on skills associated with hitting the center of the club face and skills to make adjustments if you aren’t hitting the center.  During the competitive round the mental game takes precedence and not making incorrect decisions based on where you are on the leaderboard, or where your shot ended up.

But, we are getting way off the topic of Scheffler putting skills with are at best average when compared to his peers.  You have mentioned that you personally track things like number of putts, feet of putts made, etc to assess your game and when looking at Scheffler, he is at or below Tour average.  

3 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Don’t disagree and that is what I said.  Don’t work on your skills during a competitive round; focus on making the correct mental decisions that are appropriate for your skill level. Going back to your example, would/should a player be woking on the skill to more consistently hit the center of the club face during a competitive round?  During your practice you work on skills associated with hitting the center of the club face and skills to make adjustments if you aren’t hitting the center.  During the competitive round the mental game takes precedence and not making incorrect decisions based on where you are on the leaderboard, or where your shot ended up.

But, we are getting way off the topic of Scheffler putting skills with are at best average when compared to his peers.  You have mentioned that you personally track things like number of putts, feet of putts made, etc to assess your game and when looking at Scheffler, he is at or below Tour average.  

golf, in general competitive situation or not, is a series of constant adjustments, I dont know if you have ever played and been successful at competitive golf however if you have you will have reverted at some point in 90% of your competitive rounds to working on one skill or another. In the thousands of competitive rounds I have played, in my instance, I can count on one hand where the entire round has been on auto pilot and at the end of the round I have never worked on "a swing thought" as a matter of fact my mental coach and I have implemented "concurrent critique"based on a swing thought into our tournament round process. I disagree with your take on this.

Back to Scottie's putting skills, there is one person holding the trophy and that is him, and I believe he will hoist a few more, putting stats or not.