Testers Wanted! Takomo Long Game Clubs ×

DIY Lie Angle Balanced Revealer

After seeing the L.A.B putter Test opportunity and digging into their technology and their approach to design my engineering mind went down that rabbit hole. As I was watching the video of the “Revealer” Revealer Video. I was blown away. Then my mind went to that looks like a simple device. And I have some EMT conduit from my simulator build. I also heard  Sam Hahn mention that the revealer actually gave birth to the club not the other way around, and that Bill Presse drilled holes in a crutch to make the original device. I want to mention this is not to take sales away from L.A.B. and the Revealer they are making. That is clearly a premium piece of equipment made of aluminum and finely machined. I do not recommend people use this as a fitting device or other professional use. This is only to fuel my curiosity and make a janky version to try and teach me something new.

20230501_165447.jpg.4be570f2c1953a868ef788737ef7aac0.jpg

So I designed the top and bottom rails that hold the ½” EMT conduit(find at any hardware store) and a piece of felt for frictionless pivot in the neck. Although I’ll upgrade this with some ball bearings for better rotation, I just built in a low friction joint to allow it to pivot.

I was astonished how easily it worked. It was obvious how much torque was applied by the putter. I have seen reviews where people mention only light pressure keeps the putter in place during the stroke (this was much more pressure needed than I expected. I tested a 2ball face balanced putter, different Mallet Face Balanced, and Anser style Toe hang. I will need to try this on a real L.A.B. putter to see how that reacts as well.

I have posted all the files here for anyone to mess around with. Ill will include files for both a design with and without ball bearings (only 1 small piece is different)

I cut the conduit into 2 - 29” sections this fit in a good spot for the 3 putters I had on hand with the way the neck bent and 1 was an armlock so I wanted to be below the steps. The official design is 30” but I don’t know if that is conduit length or device length feel free to cut different if you have short or long putters.

Cost

½” conduit ≈ $4 (I had scrap)

Plastic Parts ≈ $2 (this is just material cost) (Files)

Hardware  ≈ $2 any hardware store

Eye hook - 5/64" Zinc Lag Screw Eye

Putter hooks  - Brass Cup Hook

Putter Anchor – (I didn’t need this it held into the putter hole but your results may vary)

22x7x8mm Bearing ≈ $0.50 ($5/10  Amazon)

Hope you all enjoy and let me know if anyone does end up printing this up.

Driver:  Ben Hogan GS53
4W:  Maltby KE4 
2i: Maltby KE4 FDI 
4-PW:  Maltby TS-1 - C-Taper 120g 
50,54,58: Maltby TSW

Putter:  L.A.B. DF2.1 Accra Shaft 2023 Forum Testers - L.A.B. Putters
Ball: Mixed prefer ProV1 or Snell
Handicap: 9.2  -  Best Score: 72 (E) Springdale CC, Canton NC -2022

2020 Forum Tester - Ben Hogan GS53 Driver

This is awesome, thanks for sharing this! I'm going to message my buddy right now and see if he can 3d print those pieces.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

On 5/1/2023 at 1:21 PM, pozzit said:

Plastic Parts ≈ $2 (this is just material cost) (Files)

If I only had a 3D printer.  Looks like it's extra EMT conduit and scrap lumber for this guy.  🙃

Link 1 theoretically arriving today depending on how UPS feels...

Driver

311062546_PXG_LogoSmall.jpg.1ff58b767d1fb1cdfeac9a387718766e.jpg  0311 Gen 5 -- Tensei CK Orange 60

Woods

PXG_Logo Small.jpg 0341 3W -- Tensei AV Raw Blue

Hybrids

image.png.374545efa45a29aed00287677e783604.png  0317X 2&4 -- Tensei AV Raw Blue 

Irons 

:srixon-small: ZX7 4/AW -- C-Taper Lite 110

Wedges

:mizuno-small:  T7 55º @55/7  -- TT DG Spinner

Putter

Test.png DF2.1 or Link.1 -- Accra

Ball

:srixon-small:  Zstar Diamond

37 minutes ago, Syks7 said:

If I only had a 3D printer.  Looks like it's extra EMT conduit and scrap lumber for this guy.  🙃

Link 1 theoretically arriving today depending on how UPS feels...

😉 I think I know a guy who can hook you up. 

• 3 months later...

Out-freaking-standing!  i was doing something similar by just puting the putter in one of those plastic "separation tubes" from my golf bag and just holding it out level and moving it side to side.  But this device is so much more professional and COOLER.  Thanks for sharing ....Chuck

Edited by CABGx3
Spelling

• 1 month later...
[mention=88053]pozzit[/mention]I am getting asked what measurement unit is used for the 3D printing.  Inches?
That's a good question I believe mm but it should be pretty obvious once it's placed on the plate. The cross member is 6-7" I don't quite remember.

• 4 months later...

Currently printing the 3D parts. Thanks man!!! I’m a little confused how the assembly of the neck part goes. Would you mind helping me out? Maybe a closer picture of the pivot piece where the bearings go? 

Really appreciate you! 

21 hours ago, Alonso G said:

Currently printing the 3D parts. Thanks man!!! I’m a little confused how the assembly of the neck part goes. Would you mind helping me out? Maybe a closer picture of the pivot piece where the bearings go? 

Really appreciate you! 

Hopefully the prints came out well. So the way I did it was press fit the bearing through the top. Place the top plug through and secure in place with the eye hook.PXL_20240211_151032854_MP.jpg.2dcbe4a6acc116262f71441ea8cca15c.jpgPXL_20240211_151044379_MP.jpg.16a39ff50ab9697cf2275b32bd1d0ae3.jpg

Hope that helps let me know if you have any issues.

(My printer has a little tolerance issue with the bearing so I had to wedge some paper inside to secure it.)

Did you consider using some other material instead of EMT? I’m realizing it’ll be pretty heavy! Or do you think the weight of it helps swing it around? I’m thinking pvc might be an option.

Edited by Alonso G

I think it's a valid option I had some emt laying around. I didn't necessarily consider weight in it consideration. I do believe the official one if all Aluminum. So definitely lighter in the tubes but heavy top and bottom. PVC could work just not sure on diameter and if there would be any twisting of the structure.