top secret Titleist ball, the Pro V1x Plus ??

so as I was perusing golf content online I ran across this article on Mac Hughes and stopped when I saw this paragraph below:

Then there is the golf ball. Hughes is using the latest top secret Titleist ball, the Pro V1x Plus.

“It’s not a ball you can find in the pro shop,” Hughes said. “It was made something like six weeks ago and, to my knowledge, there’s just a handful of guys playing it right now, and for me it’s a little bit faster and it spins a little more.”

Hughes was looking for a higher spinning ball and figured since he was changing drivers, the time was right.

🛑STOP🛑

A top secret Pro V1x plus ??? what??? did I miss something?? Sounds like it's tour only for now, but I am intrigued....

https://torontosun.com/sports/mackenzie-hughes-bringing-new-gear-pga-championship

Driver-  Titleist  TSR3 10*
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (5i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Wilson Infinite Grant Park
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

as we know titleist makes a few different balls for tour players based on their needs and wants.....left dash, left dot. they had a V1 star as well.....some come to marekt as in the left dash and some will NEVER make it past the tour player.....the V1x+ is just a higher spinning V1X.....highly doubt you will ever see this in the market place

Golf is cool

Not that unusual. Companies are always in the r&d phase for their current equipment and how to improve on it for the next release or two releases into the future.

jailbreak was in the r&d phase 5 years before it made it to market.

Ball companies use the tour to test and get feedback on balls. These balls will either be what gets released to retail or will influence that. Prov1 left dot lead to the design of the 2017 prov1 and 1x designs, which actually took 4 years from the 2013 when it was first introduced on tour. The prov1x left dash influenced the 2019 prov1x and iirc titleist also said the 2017 prov1x.

Anyone that’s been around forums or into gear at all is familiar with the tour getting balls and using them that aren’t at retail and probably never will be like the titleist star. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

• 3 months later...

I was able to talk to a Titleist ball rep last year.  He stated we will start to see some + models.  Just like the left dash or "-" means less spin or less height, etc., + means more.  I'm really looking forward to seeing more of this incorporated in the market.

:titelist-small:   :projectx:

• 2 weeks later...

He says tongue in cheek:

Can someone please ask titelist to publish some cliff notes on this stuff with details such as - “if the player prefers the characteristics of ball xxxx from year 2xxx the current version best matching that ball is yyyy”? It would save so much angst and wasted time trying to figure out what ball matches the game YOU have. Let the marketing aim at new customers and make it easier on the current users of your product to stay happy. 
Now I don’t believe that is ever gonna happen, and as I see it, it the reason for the MGS annual ball tests.

Edited by Another Steve

Last year I found a V1 Left Dot on number 16 at my club in the high rough.

Played number 17 with it, a par 3 over water, hit the green and 2 putted for par.

Hit middle of fairway on 18, over drew approach, hit hill by green, bounced, hit the cart path and into the lake. I got to play 1 -1/2 holes with the damn thing