Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Birdieball 2-In-1 Putting/Hitting Mat - 2023 Forum Review

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Follow our testers main posts in the links below!

@Nick_D - TESTING POST

@Dooby - TESTING POST

@MattF - TESTING POST

23 minutes ago, Dooby said:

I have not - at least not that I know of. May need to do a search in my spam. I assume some sort of email offer?

Yeah, hitting mat for a ***** review on their site.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Just got my shipping confirmation for the hitting mat last night, should get here on Monday!

Link to What's in My Bag Post

:ping-small: - G430 Max

:cobra-small: - LTDx 3 Wood

:callaway-small: - Mavrik 4 & 5 hybrids

:mizuno-small: - Pro 225 Irons

:titleist-small::vokey-small: - SM9 50, 54, 58 degree

:cameron-small: - Teryllium Longneck Newport 2 / :odyssey-small: - Jailbird 380 / Hudson Made Carman Custom

Nick_D's Putter Projects

:mizuno-small: - RB Tour X Ball

Link to BirdieBall 2-in-1 Putting/Hitting Mat 2023 Forum Review

2 hours ago, Nick_D said:

Just got my shipping confirmation for the hitting mat last night, should get here on Monday!

I got mine last night, apparently mine will arrive on Sunday, but it won't. FedEx don't deliver on Sundays.

In the bag:
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Bag: 

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Not sure if the other testers pulled the trigger but I went ahead and got the supplemental hitting mat from BirdieBall.  I received mine in the mail and compared to the putting mat and to the other materials we have received from BirdieBall, I will say I am a bit underwhelmed by the hitting mat.  It seems like it is a pretty low quality piece of turf when compared to the putting surface - it is very light, thin and flimsy.  It does come with two size rubber tees as well as a hole cut for tee placement.

I have yet to hit off of it though and I don't have anything else to compare it to other than the putting surface and the mats at the local range.  In their defense, it is advertised as a piece to place on top of your putting surface, so with that said, it does the job and maybe it should be looked at through the lens the turf on top of the putting turf.  That likely increases quality.  

I will post a picture of it in my next review post. I am currently re-positioning my putting system since I have grown very tired of trying to pick-up and store/take down and set up the system consistently.  As my previous posts have noted (and other testers have agreed) the system is a beast and it isn't quite as easy to use as a mobile type of set up.  So after I place it in it's permanent space, I will post updates including those for the hitting mat.

*For full disclosure * There was an offer available to the testers to receive the hitting mat for free upon a positive google review of the BirdieBall putting system.  That is how I received mine.

image.png.04da3f72ef9e45c374a6ced580ad076e.png Driver: Aerojet LS (9.0)

image.png.47d8335a6ed74f5ce323f36dde1e64f5.pngBRNR Mini Driver (13.5)

default_callaway-small.jpg.4e22e166ebf0a736dfc257554f147efe.jpg Ai Smoke Max 5 Wood (18) or Apex X Forged Utility 2 iron (18)

default_callaway-small.jpg.4e22e166ebf0a736dfc257554f147efe.jpg Apex X Forged CB (4-6)

image.png.04da3f72ef9e45c374a6ced580ad076e.png Rickie Fowler MB (7-PW)

default_vokey-small.gif.7343a5ce0d53f6f6b215377d00e5563f.gif Wedges: 52|08F , 56|12D , 60|10S , SM9 Jet Black

photo-203973.jpg.72b2eb1ed527f5bfef6c6f39d952c2f0.jpg Putter: 2015 Queen B 6

Ball: Still Searching for My Perfect Gamer

Previously Tested: BirdieBall 2-In-1 Putting/Hitting Mat

I also received mine for the same review and I was also underwhelmed as I was expecting something a bit more substantial.

I'll have more on the weekend when I finish my review.

In the bag:

Bag: 

I am excited to see the reviews for these. I know it is the time of year for many to get more indoor practice and work done so will these be the next thing to take a sim to the next level? Guess we will find out. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

In the bag:

Bag: 

Planning to finish up my final review tomorrow! I have to echo Dooby's first impressions on the hitting mat.. I agree its marketed as sitting on top of the putting turf, but with the depth of the putting turf only being 7 feet I really don't see how that will work for most sim setups? Curious other people's thoughts on that

:cameron-small: - Teryllium Longneck Newport 2 / :odyssey-small: - Jailbird 380 / Hudson Made Carman Custom

Nick_D's Putter Projects

My final review is up! 

Nick_D's Putter Projects

First Impressions (20/20)

I was a bit intimidated by how big the box was.  But upon unwrapping the mat and unboxing everything, I was very impressed. The weight, while very inconvenient, gives me a sense of durability and quality.  The accessories also seemed to be well-made and were a great surprise as I wasn't sure what to expect.

I ended up first installing the mat in my home gym area that doubles as a golf practice space and was testing it with the idea that this is easy to install and breakdown and store away. But about halfway through this process (get to this later), I moved everything to the basement.

As others have noted, it all comes in two boxes, 1 being the mat and the other being the accessories.

Aesthetics: (19/20)

As stated above, the mat and the accessories seem very well made - incredibly heavy, durable, and everything fits together properly and the mat lays flat instantly, even after being rolled up and stored multiple times.

As it lays in my basement, I tend to use it quite a bit for putting practice and recently have grown to love it for green side chipping where I try to hit little runners towards the hole.  Absolutely 0 sign of wear after a few months now of use.  I have not used it for full swings though.

While the accessories all fit perfect and are very easy to use, they aren't quite as heavy or as durable feeling as the mat itself.  The cups and pins are simple plastic and likely would break easily.  However, the rubber bumpers are very heavy and a great addition to the mat, especially for how I have used it and in the basement.  Lastly, the additional foam pieces to create contour and break in the putting mat are quite light and delicate, but if you use them as intended, I don't know how they would break down or get damaged.  I worry more about storing them somewhere they won't get bent or break than I do actually using them.

Lastly, as far as aesthetics go, my only word of caution is beware the size that you order.  I measured prior to providing my numbers and with how heavy this mat was and how difficult it is to roll and store on a consistent basis, I wish I went with a much smaller, more manageable mat.

The Numbers/Practice: (20/20)

I do not have strict data points to suggest my putting (or bump and run type chipping) has improved, but I will say I am WAY more confident in both of those areas and feel like it has transitioned to my game.  Furthermore, it has taken away any excuse to not practice putting because I pass by it multiple times a day and can hit 3-5 putts in a few moments before continuing on.  Rather than going to the range and hitting balls and then also adding putting practice, I can simply do it at home when it fits my schedule better.  This has made my stroke feel more routine, smooth and confident which I think has translated to the course. 

Also, having four different holes and the ability to set them up all differently with the shims and accessories makes this a really fun but also useful tool.  I leave a handful of balls out on the green with my putter so anytime I walk by I can pick a target and go and then go on with my day.  The only downside is the length since you can't really practice long lag putts and then there isn't much distance past the cup to judge speeds.  One of my misses is hitting a putt too hard so knowing if I hit it 1 foot past the hole or 4 is a useful thing for me to work on, but I can't with this.

The Good, the bad, the inbetween: (18/20)

Overall, I only have a couple of complaints. My only complaints, and they may only apply to a small handful of their intended customers, is mainly around the ease of setting up and breaking down the putting mat consistently.  The mat, as everyone has noted a number of times, is very, very heavy. And it is difficult to roll up and store.  So for anyone who is considering this as a base for a simulator that can be broken down and stored, you may want to take that into account.  I am not saying it cannot be done (I did it for the bulk of this testing period) but you just have to have a good plan and the space to store it.  Other than that, I don't have any real complaints. Could the accessories be a bit more heavy or out of better materials? Certainly, but those aren't what I am purchasing here. I am judging the mat and its use for putting and simulator practice.

Play it or Trade it?: (20/20)

For me -this is an easy Play It, potentially for life. I would certainly recommend this to anyone wanting to build a sim or even just have a putting practice area at home. This won't be leaving my home or setup, possibly ever.  However, as I continue to note, I would just caution anyone who wants a more portable setup.  Otherwise, I don't know that you'll find a much better mat or a much better company.  I didn't speak on it much but BirdieBall has been a pleasure to work with and even threw in the additional hitting mat (which wasn't the best) for a simple google review.  

The other hesitation I would have on this is the price.  It is roughly $1500 depending on the size of mat you purchase and that is quite the investment depending on your own personal situation and desire.  However, when taking a look at similar products in the marketplace, I think it is pretty fairly priced given the amazing quality and durability that it has.  Not to mention the customization that you can do.  Plus, this is a great piece that acts both as a putting green and as a simulator hitting surface.

Conclusion: (Final Score: 97/100)

At the end of the day, this thing is pretty sweet and it seems to be incredibly well made as far as durability and quality.  The turf rolls great and acts great as a hitting surface and at the end of the day, isn't that what we want? It's heavy but I'll take that over a light piece of turf that needs replacing or leads to injury after my practice session.  I would strongly recommend this to my friends and family or anyone who asks.  I think it is a great product and I feel very fortunate to have been able to try it as I certainly would have had a lot of doubts and hesitation before.

default_callaway-small.jpg.4e22e166ebf0a736dfc257554f147efe.jpg Ai Smoke Max 5 Wood (18) or Apex X Forged Utility 2 iron (18)

default_callaway-small.jpg.4e22e166ebf0a736dfc257554f147efe.jpg Apex X Forged CB (4-6)

default_vokey-small.gif.7343a5ce0d53f6f6b215377d00e5563f.gif Wedges: 52|08F , 56|12D , 60|10S , SM9 Jet Black

On 11/30/2023 at 7:11 PM, Nick_D said:

Planning to finish up my final review tomorrow! I have to echo Dooby's first impressions on the hitting mat.. I agree its marketed as sitting on top of the putting turf, but with the depth of the putting turf only being 7 feet I really don't see how that will work for most sim setups? Curious other people's thoughts on that

7' is a bit unfortunate. There's a bazillion setups that have the edge of the hitting mat about 8' from the screen to achieve 9-10 feet shots from the screen. That is just how it works with the size of mats, etc. But if one were to buy the putting mat in the width they need for "grass" (say 12' for a 10' wide screen) and put rubber puzzle pieces under the mat to shim it up to the same height as their hitting mat, it would make a killer simulator grass that one could putt on for sim use and for putting practice when they wanted to. That's how I see it making the most sense. They should probably also offer a hole in the back middle or maybe one of those putting disks (because often you are hitting a little offset to the right from center) so people have a target to putt at during sim play. 7' would still work, but it's gonna be just a bit short of making it to the screen so that would definitely frustrate the perfectionist sim builders out there.

I really enjoyed this test. I want to love the product, but I just don't think the dimensions are what most sim booths need to be really useful. Maybe they can figure out something that's a little more useful for sim and practice.

• 4 weeks later...

So I finally got some time with the hitting mat over the holidays and wanted to share my thoughts. I didn't want to include the hitting mat in my official review since it was sent to me later and after I had written a Google review on their website. I think the most important thing here is it is a $159 add-on for the putting green. It would be unfair to compare it to my Fiberbuilt mat that is in a different price range. 

It is quite thin and has no padding, so it absolutely needs some sort of padding underneath it. I'm sure what Birdieball has in mind that you will be placing this on top of the putting surface, which is fine. However, as I explained in my review, this is unrealistic for a lot of sim setups. The durability has been as expected. You can see the area where you're hitting from after a number of swings, but I would expect it to hold up for a considerable amount of time. My biggest complaint is that it's not the same color green as the putting surface!? As an add-on to a $1,000+ putting green I would at least want it to match? Maybe I'm too OCD, but anyone in this price range would expect something quite a bit nicer than this hitting mat in my opinion. I'd compare it to some of the cheap amazon mats and would skip the $159 add-on if I were looking to buy from Birdieball. There are better options out there for the money.

IMG_0708.jpg.ed92ac5ded904e5bb90ab79df00253f0.jpg

Nick_D's Putter Projects

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2023 at 12:26 AM, Clayton said:

7' is a bit unfortunate. There's a bazillion setups that have the edge of the hitting mat about 8' from the screen to achieve 9-10 feet shots from the screen. That is just how it works with the size of mats, etc. But if one were to buy the putting mat in the width they need for "grass" (say 12' for a 10' wide screen) and put rubber puzzle pieces under the mat to shim it up to the same height as their hitting mat, it would make a killer simulator grass that one could putt on for sim use and for putting practice when they wanted to. That's how I see it making the most sense. They should probably also offer a hole in the back middle or maybe one of those putting disks (because often you are hitting a little offset to the right from center) so people have a target to putt at during sim play. 7' would still work, but it's gonna be just a bit short of making it to the screen so that would definitely frustrate the perfectionist sim builders out there.

I really enjoyed this test. I want to love the product, but I just don't think the dimensions are what most sim booths need to be really useful. Maybe they can figure out something that's a little more useful for sim and practice.

I agree it would be cool if they included a target to putt to during sim play. I would definitely suggest a disk or some sort of flat target. I wouldn't want a hole as it might be a bit destructive to hit a 50 foot lag putt to a cup that's 7 feet away 😂

I've put a small piece of white tape on the edge of the putting mat that I can putt to. It also helps me align my launch monitor.

Nick_D's Putter Projects

3 hours ago, Nick_D said:

I agree it would be cool if they included a target to putt to during sim play. I would definitely suggest a disk or some sort of flat target. I wouldn't want a hole as it might be a bit destructive to hit a 50 foot lag putt to a cup that's 7 feet away 😂

I've put a small piece of white tape on the edge of the putting mat that I can putt to. It also helps me align my launch monitor.

When I worked at a Trackman facility, I just used a tee peg to putt to. But we had thick "peggable" grass mats in there.

16 hours ago, Clayton said:

When I worked at a Trackman facility, I just used a tee peg to putt to. But we had thick "peggable" grass mats in there.

I might try that with the Birdieball mat and a really short tee! Will report back

Nick_D's Putter Projects

On 1/23/2024 at 9:52 AM, Nick_D said:

I might try that with the Birdieball mat and a really short tee! Will report back

The Birdieball mat is definitely too thin to stick any sort of tee into for an aim point during sim play. I've stuck with the small piece of white tape for now

Nick_D's Putter Projects

• 4 weeks later...

Over the last few months I've been getting quite a bit of play on the sim, but I do have to say I am still practicing my putting considerably more with the Birdieball mat than I otherwise would have. I'm starting to count down the days until courses start to open in Michigan!

Nick_D's Putter Projects

• 1 month later...

Playing a few rounds on the sim while watching Keith Mitchell try and bring it home this weekend! Still been loving the Birdieball mat, absolutely no signs of wear. My favorite part still is having actual cups to putt to, makes practice more satisfying. For sim play, having a proper putting surface has also been a game changer! 
IMG_0843.jpeg.bbd3418fc8f3f8f9b633021645fdc88f.jpeg

Nick_D's Putter Projects

• 3 weeks later...

So with the warmer weather I’ve been able to set up outside more often. I keep the putting mat in the basement and still love it. I think it has improved my consistency with mid to short range putts and as I’ve taken up competitive play this year, that’s been huge. 
But I wanted to throw in a note about the supplemental hitting mat. I’ve been taking it outside and putting it on blacktop to hit off of but have found it to be too thin of a mat to use that way. Personally, I put a couple of those foam gym puzzle tiles under the mat and that is a lot better of a hitting surface. No fault at all to BirdieBall since this was intended to be placed on top of the putting surface but just a warning to those out there looking to use the products separately as I do. 

3 minutes ago, Dooby said:

So with the warmer weather I’ve been able to set up outside more often. I keep the putting mat in the basement and still love it. I think it has improved my consistency with mid to short range putts and as I’ve taken up competitive play this year, that’s been huge. 
But I wanted to throw in a note about the supplemental hitting mat. I’ve been taking it outside and putting it on blacktop to hit off of but have found it to be too thin of a mat to use that way. Personally, I put a couple of those foam gym puzzle tiles under the mat and that is a lot better of a hitting surface. No fault at all to BirdieBall since this was intended to be placed on top of the putting surface but just a warning to those out there looking to use the products separately as I do. 

I've found the same thing with the hitting mat. I've been putting it on a concrete slab in my backyard and hitting pitch shots for my dog to chase and it really could use some more padding. I think they intend it to be used on top of the putting mat, but I still think there are better options out there!

Nick_D's Putter Projects

5 minutes ago, Nick_D said:

I've found the same thing with the hitting mat. I've been putting it on a concrete slab in my backyard and hitting pitch shots for my dog to chase and it really could use some more padding. I think they intend it to be used on top of the putting mat, but I still think there are better options out there!

I’m using it in the same way 😂. A little practice and a little exercise for the dogs.

its just such a thin mat that I got concerned over injury. That’s my only complaint about it but I do have a wish for it and that would be a different cut of turf on it. Similar to other hitting mats that have some longer cuts or a “rough” cut. 

I've been using it on my putting surface in the basement and chipping foam balls off it into the wall.

In the bag:

Bag: