Testers Wanted: Sun Mountain Stand Bag and Travel Bag ×

Garmin r10

4putt4me

Looking to buy a Garmin r10 in the next couple of days. I was between the original rapsodo mlm and the Garmin r10. 
going to be using mostly outside with a net and if I can figure out the spacing I’ll use in the garage as well too. Will also mainly just use my phone for data or to play a round here and there. 

just looking for some feedback from those that have used. Since using with iOS what subscription would you mostly recommend to get? 
and are there any big likes or dislikes you have for the unit? 
Or any tips?

thanks for the feedback 

J. Christman 

I’ll be following along to hopefully get some feedback. Have an R10 in the mail and have a hitting mat and net set up to use once it’s here. I think what made me pull the trigger on the Garmin was that it already had courses built in and the subscription for additional courses (~42,000) was affordable (10$ a month). I’ll let you know how mine is when I get it set up but this will be my first simulator set up so I won’t have anything to compare to. 

Drew Needham

Teacher and Coach 

Nice. I got mine yesterday but it is still in the box. I won’t be able to set it up until early next week. I’ll let you know how my experience is once I do. I plan on getting awesome golf for it. Think it’s like $350 for lifetime. But have been told it has the most accurate readings out of all of the apps if you are really trying to get a judge for your metrics. I’ll keep you updated. 

J. Christman 

• 4 weeks later...

I have a Garmin R10; it gives good data on the range and in your home. It can record your swing and you can watch it on your phone. I would recommend getting the RT balls to get more accurate ball data to use at home. It has fun golf games to keep it interesting. Hope this helps. 

Edited by andoscarsaid

-Oscar 

I have the R10 and enjoy it - especially at the price and the mobility as I take with it me to the range as well as use it at home.  I haven't used the RCT balls so I don't know or can't speak to the impact they have on the data but overall I enjoy the R10 because of the ease of use and the data it provides.  I recently compared it to a trackman at one of my lessons and it was very similar in its readings for the most part. 

My only question about it and maybe someone can answer here - does anyone know if there is a way in the R10 to have the data normalized? I know you can set your elevation and location settings manually before a range session or before playing a course or the games in the Garmin software but I am wondering if there is a way to sort of manually normalize the data but adjusting elevation/location.

image.png.04da3f72ef9e45c374a6ced580ad076e.png Driver: Aerojet LS (9.0)

image.png.47d8335a6ed74f5ce323f36dde1e64f5.pngBRNR Mini Driver (13.5)

default_callaway-small.jpg.4e22e166ebf0a736dfc257554f147efe.jpg Ai Smoke Max 5 Wood (18) or Apex X Forged Utility 2 iron (18)

image.png.035d01cabf89e6027a4fb2d6107c1cfc.png Pro 225 (4-PW)

default_vokey-small.gif.7343a5ce0d53f6f6b215377d00e5563f.gif Wedges: 52|08F , 56|12D , 60|10S , SM9 Jet Black

photo-203973.jpg.72b2eb1ed527f5bfef6c6f39d952c2f0.jpg Putter: 2015 Queen B 6

Ball: Still Searching for My Perfect Gamer

Previously Tested: BirdieBall 2-In-1 Putting/Hitting Mat

Hey y'all

I just picked up the R10 and so far am very happy. 

I'm trying to decide how I want to "view" the data. Right now it's just on my Samsung/Android phone but I want to get something to have a larger view. 

I'm considering maybe a mini projector that can hook up to my phone and just run the projection on the wall I my garage. Has anybody tried something like this? 

My other option is a smart TV that I can cast the video to. 

Any suggestions would be fantastic! Thx! 

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Does anyone know how to “normalize” the data? I know this is a feature on the more expensive launch monitors but wondering if there’s any way to do it for the Garmin. I know you can set your location and altitude manually and wondering if there might be a way to “normalize” it that way. 

default_callaway-small.jpg.4e22e166ebf0a736dfc257554f147efe.jpg Ai Smoke Max 5 Wood (18) or Apex X Forged Utility 2 iron (18)

default_vokey-small.gif.7343a5ce0d53f6f6b215377d00e5563f.gif Wedges: 52|08F , 56|12D , 60|10S , SM9 Jet Black

56 minutes ago, Dooby said:

Does anyone know how to “normalize” the data? I know this is a feature on the more expensive launch monitors but wondering if there’s any way to do it for the Garmin. I know you can set your location and altitude manually and wondering if there might be a way to “normalize” it that way. 

Everything I have read indicates there is no normalization feature on the R10. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the R10 for about a year now, and I use it 2-3 times a week in the garage with a net. Results can be frustrating at times as it will randomly not pick up shots (it always misses the pure ones!), or will over exaggerate shot shape. I understand that this has a lot to do with the lack of time that the unit has to track the ball, as 7' behind with 7-8' in the air can only read and infer so much data. I have had better luck with putting down towels on the concrete floor in between my mat and the unit to help break up signal reflection and it helps. Indoors, my distance is a good 1.5 - 2 clubs less on long irons - on the course my 5 iron is good from 185 - 205, but indoors I use it from 155 - 170. My longest indoor drive is 277 (average 220 - 240), but outdoors is 265 average. It takes some getting used to, and it took me a while to accept the difference as just the way it is inside. The games are awesome, and once you figure out how to play how the unit picks up the ball, my scores have come down quite a bit - I just wish it would translate to the course more.

I also have a Garmin Fenix 7S watch, which has the Golf app compatibility. I use it for yardages when I play, and it is within 2 yards of all my playing partners who have laser range finders. If you pay for the subscription, it will also give you yardages to bunkers, hazards, layups, and green contours. All in all a solid package. 

I'd recommend it to anyone, as it has significantly bettered my game over the last year that I've had it, as it has encouraged me to get out and put in reps more than I would have otherwise. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I do. 

Edited by taylorjonasher

Titleist TSR3 // Tensei 1K Black 65g

Titleist TSR3 3W 15* // HZRDOUS Black 70g

Titleist U505 2i // HZRDOUS Black 85g

Taylormade P770 4-PW // Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 105g

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

Callaway JAWS Raw 54* / 58*

Taylormade Spider GTX Single Bend Splitback / Ping Zing 2

Titleist ProV1 // Srixon Z-Star XV (Depending on how much money I want to lose any given swing)

Update. I left my r10 sit in the box for 30 days then returned it to golf galaxy. I was having buyers remorse and started looking for a used mevo or skytrak on marketplace in my area. Also heavily considered mlm2pro before I went back out and bought the garmin again. I’ve had it set up for a week now and have used 4 times so far. 
the r10 sits 8 feet behind ball and I hit anywhere between 7.5-9.5 feet from net depending on club loft. Hitting into a 7’ tall net and the wedge almost clears the net at 7.5. I hit 10 balls in the garmin range then downloaded awesome golf. Absolutely loving it so far. I started with a 7 iron. AT first I was hitting it 150 which is short of my typical 170 on course. So I put a course swing in and started seeing the correct numbers. 
ive learned so much about my swing in a week than I did over 20 years of golf. Just from effort of swing and the distance variances. I’m seeing the proper shot shape on awesome golf. Draw, fade, pull draw, pull fade. It’s pretty damn accurate. Only one missed shot. I’ve also made 2 trips to my local range with trackman to confirm the swing variance and it pretty much matched up to what I saw on the r10. I had an issue with getting e6 courses for free. Garmin code wouldn’t work but e6 just corrected that for me. So will try e6 next. But I’m still in the market for skytrak or if the wife lets me at some point to upgrade to the uneekor eye mini. Will keep updating as I play more and add more to my setup. Just using used range mat, phone and a net 

J. Christman 

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2023 at 12:06 PM, azstu324 said:

Hey y'all

I just picked up the R10 and so far am very happy. 

I'm trying to decide how I want to "view" the data. Right now it's just on my Samsung/Android phone but I want to get something to have a larger view. 

I'm considering maybe a mini projector that can hook up to my phone and just run the projection on the wall I my garage. Has anybody tried something like this? 

My other option is a smart TV that I can cast the video to. 

Any suggestions would be fantastic! Thx! 

I just posted my setup with an R10.  I started with just a net and a TV off to the side. Having a projector makes it way more fun!

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/61795-garmin-r10-numbers/?do=findComment&comment=983780

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra RADSpeed XB 10.5° Motore X F3

Fairway: :cobra-small: Cobra 15.5° 3/F Baffler Rail F

Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra RAD Speed 21° 4 Hybrid

Cobra RAD Speed 24° 5 Hybrid 

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra Aero Jet 5 - PW, GW

Wedges: :vokey-small: Spin Milled 56°, 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Stroke Lab OG #7

Bag: 1622150773421.jpg.867df9e5987ee9b79cc36f4c70090b01.jpg Big Max 14.0 Hybrid

Ball: :titleist-small: Titleist Velocity

Shoes: :footjoy-small: FJ Flex

• 2 months later...

I’m looking at the R10 and I can’t seem to find answer to two questions I have. Would love some help!

1. When you purchase a used R10 does the license for E6 transfer? 

2. When using the R10 with E6 to a projector. Can you use the E6 software on a computer? Or do you need a mobile device? 

thanks to anyone that helps! 

WITB:

• :taylormade-small: Stealth 2+ 
  • :taylormade-small: Brnr Mini Driver
  • :taylormade-small: GAPR Mid 3 Iron
  • :mizuno-small: JPX 923 Forged 5-PW 
  • :taylormade-small: 54 Degree MG5
  • :taylormade-small: SW Rocketballz Max
  • :taylormade-small: 60 Degree Hi Toe Raw
  • :taylormade-small: TP Reserve M21

9 minutes ago, blackhawk1539 said:

I’m looking at the R10 and I can’t seem to find answer to two questions I have. Would love some help!

1. When you purchase a used R10 does the license for E6 transfer? 

2. When using the R10 with E6 to a projector. Can you use the E6 software on a computer? Or do you need a mobile device? 

thanks to anyone that helps! 

Your R10 device will be registered to and associated with your Garmin account. The E6 subscription is separate. I had a buddy that was running E6 on his mobile device and also on PC - he is next level nerd so there might be some magic involved to make that happen. I use either the native Garmin Golf for virtual rounds or else Awesome golf on my mobile device; works out fine for me. 

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

Titleist ProV1 // Srixon Z-Star XV (Depending on how much money I want to lose any given swing)

• 3 weeks later...

I picked up my R10 at the end of last season for a great price (even in CAD $!) and have been comparing it vs the Full Swing/ION setup at my local indoor sim all winter.  I’m very happy with the device so far and have had very solid results with it.  Is it a Trackman 4?  No, not by a long shot…but then again, I would have been able to buy 35 R10’s for the price of 1 Trackman 4!  The R10 is honest in the data it gives me and has compared quite well with the Full Swing/ION setup.  I’m usually within 5(ish) yards in distance, 200-300 in RPM and 3-5 yards in left/right dispersion.  For some people, that would perhaps be a deal-breaker.  As a casual/recreational golfer, it gives me the data I need to know my gapping for the course and whether I am slicing for the next fairway or doing ok.  And honestly, that’s all I could ask of the R10.

It will be going into my home simulator and used via GS Pro.  And I hope to post an update when I have that setup

Driver: Taylormade Qi10 Max (Mitsubishi C6 Blue 60S 2022) chosen as one of the lucky testers of the Autoflex Dream 7 shaft!!!

Hybrids: Taylomade Qi10 3 & 4 Rescue (Ventus TR  HB Blue 6R)

Irons: Taylormade Qi 5-PW (Ventus TR Blue 6R)

Wedges: Cleveland RTx 4 52/56/60 Wedges (True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Tour )

Putter: Cleveland Frontline 10.0

New Gamer Ball: Taylormade 2024  TP5x 

20 minutes ago, Jean D said:

I picked up my R10 at the end of last season for a great price (even in CAD $!) and have been comparing it vs the Full Swing/ION setup at my local indoor sim all winter.  I’m very happy with the device so far and have had very solid results with it.  Is it a Trackman 4?  No, not by a long shot…but then again, I would have been able to buy 35 R10’s for the price of 1 Trackman 4!  The R10 is honest in the data it gives me and has compared quite well with the Full Swing/ION setup.  I’m usually within 5(ish) yards in distance, 200-300 in RPM and 3-5 yards in left/right dispersion.  For some people, that would perhaps be a deal-breaker.  As a casual/recreational golfer, it gives me the data I need to know my gapping for the course and whether I am slicing for the next fairway or doing ok.  And honestly, that’s all I could ask of the R10.

It will be going into my home simulator and used via GS Pro.  And I hope to post an update when I have that setup

When comparing to full swing and everything, which software are you using on the R10

41 minutes ago, Dooby said:

When comparing to full swing and everything, which software are you using on the R10

I've been using the Garmin Golf app (the driving range) and then this past weekend, I used GS Pro running on my laptop with the R10 (also in driving range mode).  Both work very well with the R10, although you have to get the GitHub “hack” to make the R10 talk to the E6 Connect app in order to use GS Pro.  It’s easy, and works well.

Driver: Taylormade Qi10 Max (Mitsubishi C6 Blue 60S 2022) chosen as one of the lucky testers of the Autoflex Dream 7 shaft!!!

• 1 month later...

Update- I run the R10 directly into GSPro without going through the Garmin Golf App on my phone then to GSPro using this: https://github.com/mholow/gsp-r10-adapter  It’s not super difficult to get it working, and has been very stable !  Currently cleaning out the space to allow me to setup the C-Series enclosure, hoping to have it completed by early next week!

I had a garmin R10 that I recently upgraded for a used skytrak that I got from 2nd swing.

I used it in my bank patio with a net using the Garmin, then amazing golf software. 

The lack of lateral spin intelligence was frustrating as was the depth required to get it to work. The skytrak gives me more useful ball path insights even with just the skeletal driving range that is included. I plan on upgrading to gs pro to play rounds with my son since I don't seem to be able to find the time to get to a real round of golf. 

The R10 is good to give you a sense of affection, and you can use the altitude settings to fine tune distance, though you'll have to be careful about exposed metal or concrete in the hitting zone which can confuse the radar. I used moving blankets in the ground in front of the unit, then had my net in the grass off the end of my patio. 

I bought the R10 a couple of months ago (was going to get the mlm2pro but did not want to pay a yearly fee to get full use of it). I do not have the space to setup a home simulator, but instead am using it specifically at the driving range to give me more feedback on my shots. Found the metrics with the short irons very good, long irons ok, and woods to be off by quite a bit. Also was a bit disappointed with the lack of data points it was giving me

I tested the free trial for Awesome Golf for the R10 and I am delighted (sub-sequentially bought the lifetime subscription). The accuracy of the long irons and woods have dramatically improved and now have access to data points such as 'Club Path' and 'Face to Club Path' which is what I wanted.

In terms of how its being used. I set it up 7-8 feet behind the ball, takes 30 seconds to connect and align. I have used it around 10-15 times now and I can only think of 1 or 2 times it did not register the shot. The battery lasts me 4-5 sessions per charge. 

So I would definitely suggest getting the R10 if you want to track more stats at the driving range, but to get the most out of it you will need an additional app like Awesome Golf or GS Pro

Edited by Niall O C

Driver: Titleist TSR2

3 wood: Titleist TSR2

2 iron: TaylorMade stealth plus hybrid

Irons: Titleist T100

Wedges: Titleist vokey

Putter: Odyssey Toulon Design Chicago

Ball: Titleist ProV1 

Launch monitor: Garmin R10

On 4/11/2024 at 2:54 AM, Niall O C said:

I bought the R10 a couple of months ago (was going to get the mlm2pro but did not want to pay a yearly fee to get full use of it). I do not have the space to setup a home simulator, but instead am using it specifically at the driving range to give me more feedback on my shots. Found the metrics with the short irons very good, long irons ok, and woods to be off by quite a bit. Also was a bit disappointed with the lack of data points it was giving me

I tested the free trial for Awesome Golf for the R10 and I am delighted (sub-sequentially bought the lifetime subscription). The accuracy of the long irons and woods have dramatically improved and now have access to data points such as 'Club Path' and 'Face to Club Path' which is what I wanted.

In terms of how its being used. I set it up 7-8 feet behind the ball, takes 30 seconds to connect and align. I have used it around 10-15 times now and I can only think of 1 or 2 times it did not register the shot. The battery lasts me 4-5 sessions per charge. 

So I would definitely suggest getting the R10 if you want to track more stats at the driving range, but to get the most out of it you will need an additional app like Awesome Golf or GS Pro

Awesome golf seems to be the way to go for a budget friendly set up. The data points and everything is just better. But also, I enjoy the mini games and competitions in it for practice. 

• 2 weeks later...

Currently calibrating the home sim setup in preparation for the Autoflex Dream 7 shaft review and running into some weird data points with the R10.

Spin, carry, total , launch and descent angles have always been very close to what I am seeing on the ION/Full Swing commercial sim I play on all winter. Last night, my numbers were just "off".  WAAAAY off.  Distance is down 70-80yds, spin is increased by 1000 or more RPM. Club head speed and ball speed are down beyond statistical anomalies...  I ran through the calibration through the Garmin Golf App after the first 8 shots.  No change. 

To compare, my Qi10Max w/C6 Blue 60S is usually a 250-260yd carry with a 270-275 total (on the ION/Full Swing) and also within that range on the course. My results are below.

My tee is 10' from the screen with the R10 7' behind the tee.  I have a laser alignment caddie that I use and the R10 is level and directly behind the tee.

Using a 2024 TM TP5x ( I don't currently own any RCT balls... that will be something I will look at after work.) Running the R10 direct to the Garmin App , numbers were abysmal as well.  Data attached is R10 directly connected to GSPro (not through the app, then E6 Connect to GSPro)...

Any ideas? 

Apr 24 GSPro R10 Driver Data.JPG

Try doing a forced update of the R10 - you might have to unpair it and factory reset to have the latest software reloaded. My assumption is that there is something in the software that is messing with the readings. I haven't delved into my R10 numbers recently, but I know that I have had problems with numbers all over the place as well.

A couple of things to check related to radar wave reflection - do you have any metal appliances with flat surfaces in the vicinity? If so, throw a blanket it over it to help break up the reflection. 

- Is the R10 placed on a concrete surface? If so cover the concrete with a blanket for the same reason. Most of my problems have come from interference related to wave reflection off of adjacent items or the floor, and this will normally resolve it. 

Also, are you using a different head and shaft than normal? The R10 does pick those up, and will "see" those differently. Try putting a few dots of aluminum reflective HVAC tape on the head at different points to help the unit pick it up. 

RCT balls also make a huge different, namely with spin numbers. 

Edited by taylorjonasher

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

20 hours ago, taylorjonasher said:

Try doing a forced update of the R10 - you might have to unpair it and factory reset to have the latest software reloaded. My assumption is that there is something in the software that is messing with the readings. I haven't delved into my R10 numbers recently, but I know that I have had problems with numbers all over the place as well.

A couple of things to check related to radar wave reflection - do you have any metal appliances with flat surfaces in the vicinity? If so, throw a blanket it over it to help break up the reflection. 

- Is the R10 placed on a concrete surface? If so cover the concrete with a blanket for the same reason. Most of my problems have come from interference related to wave reflection off of adjacent items or the floor, and this will normally resolve it. 

Also, are you using a different head and shaft than normal? The R10 does pick those up, and will "see" those differently. Try putting a few dots of aluminum reflective HVAC tape on the head at different points to help the unit pick it up. 

RCT balls also make a huge different, namely with spin numbers. 

Many thanks for the tips- Just did them this morning. 

• Yes to hard floors- moving blankets to the rescue!
  • Yes to appliances (suspended furnace) moving blankets , check
  • Factory reset is next

As I need good data for the Autoflex Dream 7 testing that should arrive next week, I need to resolve the issues ASAP. Updates after I've run through these fixes.

3 hours ago, Jean D said:

Many thanks for the tips- Just did them this morning. 

• Yes to hard floors- moving blankets to the rescue!
  • Yes to appliances (suspended furnace) moving blankets , check
  • Factory reset is next

As I need good data for the Autoflex Dream 7 testing that should arrive next week, I need to resolve the issues ASAP. Updates after I've run through these fixes.

Good luck! I've found the best results are to have the hitting area as far away from the screen/net as possible, couples with all the other suggestions. It's still not 100% accurate, but a lot closer!

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

1 hour ago, taylorjonasher said:

Good luck! I've found the best results are to have the hitting area as far away from the screen/net as possible, couples with all the other suggestions. It's still not 100% accurate, but a lot closer!

The hard reset and other tips have helped.  I'm still nowhere near my real numbers :distance is under-reporting 60+ yards, spin is still over-reporting by 1500-2000 rpm (RCT balls will hopefully help there) , but it's an improvement.  For the Autoflex Dream 7 testing  I was lucky enough to get picked for, I'm bringing in some back up to validate my numbers:  borrowing an MLM2 Pro and also hoping to have a GC Quad on loan for the month of testing.

6 hours ago, Jean D said:

The hard reset and other tips have helped.  I'm still nowhere near my real numbers :distance is under-reporting 60+ yards, spin is still over-reporting by 1500-2000 rpm (RCT balls will hopefully help there) , but it's an improvement.  For the Autoflex Dream 7 testing  I was lucky enough to get picked for, I'm bringing in some back up to validate my numbers:  borrowing an MLM2 Pro and also hoping to have a GC Quad on loan for the month of testing.

My distance numbers are about 5-20% less with the R10; more accurate with the shorter clubs and less accurate with the longer clubs. When I top out with the driver outdoors I have a carry of about 285, on the R10 it's maybe 240. My stock 54 full swing is 85 yards but about 80 with the R10. I've adjusted to know what those yardages are, but it's generally 1-2 clubs beyond what I would normally hit. The RCT balls helped tighten it up, but not completely. I hope you figure out the magic sauce and then share it with me!

Edited by taylorjonasher

Callaway JAWS MD5 50*

1 hour ago, taylorjonasher said:

My distance numbers are about 5-20% less with the R10; more accurate with the shorter clubs and less accurate with the longer clubs. When I top out with the driver outdoors I have a carry of about 285, on the R10 it's maybe 240. My stock 54 full swing is 85 yards but about 80 with the R10. I've adjusted to know what those yardages are, but it's generally 1-2 clubs beyond what I would normally hit. The RCT balls helped tighten it up, but not completely. I hope you figure out the magic sauce and then share it with me!

I will share the secret sauce as soon as I find it!  I'm running GSPro with a direct link from the R10 (I don't go > Golf app> E6-Connect>GSPro)...and the numbers in GSPro don't match what the Golf app gives me. The RCT balls are going to be interesting- went with the Titleist ProV1's... I game the TM TP5x usually.

Today I moved the tee to be 11.5' from the screen and the R10 to be 9' from the tee and the numbers were much better( within about 20 yds of what I hit on the range and on course) so it's a positive step. Will post data when I am able this evening.