Testers Wanted! Volvik Golf Balls ×

Golf & Working Out

As the year is coming to an end and resolutions start peppering word processors or cellphone notepads everywhere, I thought I would bring up a discussion regarding a topic I am both passionate about and curious on how other people might respond. The topic in question is associated to working out and the connection to Golf success. Specifically, muscle-building styles of working out and their effect on your golf game. 

So, a little more about me is that I am kind of a gym rat and I love to "pump some iron" and "Pump it up." That being said I remember when I was playing high school golf, my golf coach vehemently apposed working out during the golf season. He and another guy on my team got in a pretty good argument about it. Being young and impressionable at the time I took my coach at his word and did not work out ever during golf season. Now, that might have been an extreme, but it is true. 

Yet if we were to look at the likes of Tiger he mentioned doing some intense training routines during his younger years: https://www.mensjournal.com/health-fitness/tiger-woods-reveals-insane-daily-training-routine-prime-his-golf-career. Additionally, Rory has been known to talk about his workouts, and it does not take an eagle eye to see that Rory is North of Jacked! The dude could show me a thing or two about working out in the gym. 

I say all this and bring it up because I am sure there is a happy medium obviously but what have forum members seen as a good "happy medium" for themselves when it comes to heavy workouts and keeping your golf game in check?

DRIVER :titleist-small: TSR3 9* Ventus TR Blue TX 70g,

3 WOOD:titleist-small: TSR3 15* Ventus TR Red TX 80g,

5 WOOD :titleist-small: TSR3 18* Ventus Blue VC TX 90g

IRONS:srixon-small: ZX7 MKII (5, 6, & 7), Z Forged (8, 9, &PW)

WEDGES:vokey-small: SM9 50* D Grind, 54* D Grind, & 60* M Grind

PUTTER:taylormade-small: Spider Tour 36", SuperStroke ZENERGY XL TOUR 3.0+ w/50g counterbalance weight

BALL - Maxfli Tour X, :taylormade-small: TP5x, & :bridgestone-small: Tour B X (Testing)

Home Course: Snowflake Municipal 

Lobo.jpg

I don't see how being a gym rat would hurt your golf swing as long as you work on your flexibility and core strength.  The only negative I can think of is finding the time for both.

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

4 minutes ago, Hook DeLoft said:

I don't see how being a gym rat would hurt your golf swing as long as you work on your flexibility and core strength.  The only negative I can think of is finding the time for both.

I agree with this as well, as long as you aren’t doing anything extreme and dealing with DOMS… that’s when it could get tough lol. 

The finding time part is the biggest challenge for me. I typically do fine in the Winter, but when Spring rolls around I always have the devil on my shoulder whispering “you know you could just go golf instead?”

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

There’s no issue with working out and golf. Being stronger allows for the body to be able to hold up to the swing and can help create more speed. Brooks Koepka benches 315 for reps on tournament days. Having strength helps with stability in the swing.

now if there is a change in physique that goes for working out or not, then there could be some changes in leverages that will require some adjustments in the swing. Went thru this with a former coach I was taking lessons with and be wanted to know where I was goin to be weight and physique wise so he could account for it in my swing 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I have yet to meet a golfer who worked out or lifted "too much". As others have said, unless you're already huge and trying to bulk more, it's unlikely to be an issue. Just make sure you continue working on flexibility and you'll be fine. Even then, most golfers that lift are far more flexible than their non-lifting counterparts even without focusing on flexibility. Lifting naturally stretches you out. 

So, I say lift to your hearts content. I always laugh on the inside when people get concerned about "bulking up". As you know it doesn't happen overnight. If you feel lifting is getting in the way of your swing, simply stop lifting or change course.

I know some golfers that play D1 college golf and they lift weights at 6:00AM at least three days a week during golf season (much lighter workout on tournament days) and even more during the offseason. They don't do any fancy lifting or workouts. Just the basic lifts (squat, bench, deadlift, overhead press, etc.).

Edited by Kansas King

I work out on a regular basis, trying to log approximately 4+ hours a week in the gym aka fitness center, I also play around 4 rounds a week. A couple of qualifying comments - one is I'm retired so I do have the time. The other is I learned that after a certain age (30?) you start losing muscle mass at a rate of 1% a year. I'm of the belief that regardless of whether you're a golfer, tennis player, etc the older you get the more you belong in the gym working out. As to anecdotal benefits, I've found that unlike my partners I'm not winded by the time I get to the 15th hole, nor do I have to cut back the rounds I play a week. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

I will be 65 this year and desperately do not want to lose distance with my clubs.  I am not a gym person, but I do exercises 5 mornings a week which include push-ups, sit-ups, blanks, stretching, and swinging a weighted club.  I also walk with my wife and walk when I play golf, which is a 6 mile trek around our course.  I hope to still be playing in 20 years!

Edited by David Leighton Reid

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter