Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Arias Golf Canada TB-30 Chipper! 2024 Forum Review

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Follow testers main posts here!

@BigMacQue - Main Post!

@Bulldog - Main Post!

@RjGolf4Life - Main Post!

Nice photos gents; your in-hand photos have it looking better than the stock pics!  Can't wait to hear about the maiden voyage on the course...

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

I took the Arias Chipper out to the practice green this afternoon.  Here are a couple of samples (I used the iPhone Measurement app to get the distances. Very cool app):

From 6 feet off the green, at the back of the fringe, with a total of 26 feet to the cup (looking in the direction of the roll).

1EBF981E-43BC-40E7-8183-F34CD916B5E0_1_105_c.jpeg.eda3ba0095f92d79ec656d8fa99c3937.jpeg

From 13 feet off the green, in the green side rough, with 64 feet to the cup (looking in the direction of the roll).

A1A12163-065F-441F-A9E1-6BBF4CFD7460_1_105_c.jpeg.fdb7f95300cc86353c82d6af3c7fe6a8.jpeg

Yes, that's one in the cup from 64 feet.  I had similar results from 47 feet out of the rough. I did no comparison to chipping with other clubs.  It's early in the testing, with a tiny sample size, so no conclusions yet, but these surprised me.  More to come...

Stay on Target!    94602_x-wing_512x512.png.e6fd366aa256fea54f342bdfaa860cb7.png

pxg-logo-freelogovectors.net_-400x400.png.fd7f603a83c91f76fed4c6245b967a52.png 0811X Gen 4 Driver

pxg-logo-freelogovectors.net_-400x400.png.fd7f603a83c91f76fed4c6245b967a52.png 0311XF Gen 5 Fairway 4 Wood

Maltby KE4 TC HyWay Utility Wood

image.png.471e92969c871a065786f650138fd517.pngEQ1-NX Single Length Irons (LW - 7)

image.png.471e92969c871a065786f650138fd517.pngEQ1-NX Single Length Hybrids (4, 5, 6)

image.png.0d2df83eb1bcf82eb1adec6302909991.png    MEZZ.1 Putter (2022 tester)

image.png.43257b3b93a88cb87b3dfc1ae39a025a.png  Tour Ball X

First I have to admit that seeing the jagged "jawline" put me off, but after the fantastic opening statements and intros, it's growing on me.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

I carried the chipper out to the course Friday and put it to work.  I started on the practice green - the practice green at Hernando Oaks is perfect, they keep the grass around the green cut to about three or four different trims so you can work your away around the green and chip from different length grass.

My time at the practice green was very productive, after about 10 minutes I felt like I had a feel for the club and after about 20 minutes I was pretty confident with it.  My first thoughts:  it’s heavier than the 38 degree or 43 degree clubs that I’ve been using in short chip situations, with a much lower center of gravity. It’s also much shorter, the same length as my putter.  I feel like both of those attributes are beneficial: once you get the feel of the club the weight helps control distance and the length gives me the same stroke as my putter stroke, so it’s like a little warm up before I step onto the green.

My grandson hit it for a bit as well and his impressions were the same: a good club, well built, solid hitter and once learned, likely very beneficial.

Then I put it into play.  We set up to play 9 holes and headed for the 1st tee.

I don’t know why, I don’t know what happened, but for some reason of the 15 or 16 strokes I took with this club on 6 of the 9 holes, I couldn’t hit it well at all.  No reason why, I really don’t know what happened.  I had maybe 4 strokes that were good strokes with it.  Really upset me, especially after acquiring a good feel for it on the practice green.

It’s definitely a chipper, not a wedge and not built to do anything but chip.  You won’t clear bunkers with this, distance will escape you, so it needs to be practiced with to know how you will hit it and to determine where and when you’ll hit it.

I’m going back out tomorrow, same course, same 9 holes, and will likely walk the 9 just to keep my head in the game between holes.

More to follow, I’m sure.

BigMacQue
Titleist Driver and Hybrid
Titleist T400 Irons, 5-GW
Vokey Wedges, 50 and 56
Cleveland Launcher 3 Wood and Cleveland 10.5C HB Soft Putter
Titleist Tour Soft

How are you swinging the Chipper? 

Mine is shaped like a putter, and requires a smooth putting stroke, but with more oomph behind it from rough, and slower for fringe chips.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

1 hour ago, Rob Person said:

Mine is shaped like a putter, and requires a smooth putting stroke, but with more oomph behind it from rough, and slower for fringe chips.

I try to feel like I'm throwing the club with my right hand (playing right handed). I avoid breaking my wrists.  I keep my weight forward. I make sure I follow through with the club head pointing toward the target, at least waist-high to avoid decelerating. 

For short fringe  chips, I'm experimenting with using a left hand low putting stroke (that's how I putt). The ball seems to pop up higher, but it's too early to tell if that will pan out. Fun to try  though.

Like all of my short game, dialing in distance will be the main task.

Edited by Bulldog

Stay on Target!    94602_x-wing_512x512.png.e6fd366aa256fea54f342bdfaa860cb7.png

pxg-logo-freelogovectors.net_-400x400.png.fd7f603a83c91f76fed4c6245b967a52.png 0811X Gen 4 Driver

pxg-logo-freelogovectors.net_-400x400.png.fd7f603a83c91f76fed4c6245b967a52.png 0311XF Gen 5 Fairway 4 Wood

image.png.471e92969c871a065786f650138fd517.pngEQ1-NX Single Length Irons (LW - 7)

image.png.471e92969c871a065786f650138fd517.pngEQ1-NX Single Length Hybrids (4, 5, 6)

I'm swinging it pretty much like I swing my putter, just a sweeping stroke with arms tucked.

BigMacQue
Vokey Wedges, 50 and 56
Titleist Tour Soft

The TB-30 changed my life forever. No more skulls over the green. No more chunks that fall shot. Unless I have to go over a trap I use this club from 15 yards to 70 yards. It has cut at least 3 strokes off my game. Find and buy this club. Practice until you get the feel and you will have a completely effective and useful new weapon. 
You are welcome!🤗 

Good morning.

I didn’t get to play Monday, as I had planned, and Tuesday was a bit of grandparent duty, so I took the chipper to the practice green. 

I’ve included some pics, including a view of the green and some shots of how I was doing as I progressed with the club.  I also included a few pics to show some of the different grass I was able to hit from.

I also threw up a short video of my grandson swinging the club.

I can state that for now:  I need more practice with it, it does what it’s designed to do, and the quality of the build continues to impress me.

I’m scheduled to play tomorrow, so I will get to use it again tomorrow.  Hopefully the practice time yesterday will pay off.

practice_green_view_2.jpg

rough_grass_1.jpg

rougher_grass_1.jpg

roughtest_grass_1.jpg

1st_round_0206_1.jpg

1st_round_0206_1b.jpg

1st_round_0206_2.jpg

BigMacQue
Vokey Wedges, 50 and 56
Titleist Tour Soft

For those who are testing, what swing style are you using? Are there different strokes you are able to use?

I only ask, because the chipper club I own is designed for a "putting stroke"

36 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

For those who are testing, what swing style are you using? Are there different strokes you are able to use?

I like the putting stroke idea, but I don't have much follow through with the putting stroke. So far, I've has best success with the feeling to tossing the club with the trailing hand.  I've also tried playing the ball well back and delofting  the club for very short shots.  That has worked, but only from the fringe, and I could just putt from there.

My testing, so far,  has been just from the practice green.  We've been slammed by high winds and rain here, so I haven't been able to try the chipper out in real combat. 

Here's my home course last Sunday. Multiple trees down across the course 😒

TreeDown.jpeg.df7d5d10e7771fd4976c99e760078803.jpeg

Edited by Bulldog

I'm kinda with Bulldog on this, pretty much a sweeping stroke like my putting stroke.  I have opened up the stroke a little and put more rotation in for longer shots, but I've not hit it beyond about 20 yards yet so the jury is still out on that.  I would predict that longer shots would depend on position; if I were directly in front of the green with no bunker or other obstacle in my path I could see using this club, at least until it proves whether it is or it is not suitable for that, but once I get out to about 50 yards I'm always going to default to my wedge.

So ..... pretty much a putting stroke, if I get a chance to hit one longer in the next few days and that changes I'll pitch in a response and let you know.

BigMacQue
Vokey Wedges, 50 and 56
Titleist Tour Soft

Would love to see some videos of testers using both styles of swing and if it's possible to do som

Will the grip allow you to use a putting grip, standard grip, both?

2 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Would love to see some videos of testers using both styles of swing and if it's possible to do som

Will the grip allow you to use a putting grip, standard grip, both?

It probably will allow a putting grip, I'd just have to try it to tell you for sure.  In my mind I'm chipping, not putting, so haven't thought to use a grip any different than the grip I'd use when I use another club to chip.  May take a day or two to get a chance to do any more videos.

BigMacQue
Vokey Wedges, 50 and 56
Titleist Tour Soft

• GolfSpy_APH changed the title to Arias Golf Canada TB-30 Chipper! 2024 Forum Review

Gentlemen,

I would like to thank the testers along with everyone else who has chimed in so far in this thread!

As the developer/designer of this TB-30 chipper, I'd just like to mention that as per our website description, this chipper is meant to be used right around the greens for golfers who struggle with a conventional wedge and who would typically resort to their putter due to lack of confidence with a conventional wedge, first and foremost.

A little history! The initials TB-30 stand for a golfer named Tony Brennan, a guy who suffers from the yips around the greens with a wedge and has done so for many years. Tony uses the chipper from almost anywhere, from 90 yards in!? This is not what this chipper was designed for, this won't work for most golfers. But then again this is what the testing process is for I guess😃

This chipper is a crutch, if you tend to get tight (no pun intended) on the course and you're hitting from a tight lie, and you either consistently chunk or skull your chips when it counts, then this chipper is for you, your bad misses will typically still end up within a makable 10-15 foot range, not bad considering where a bladed chip usually ends up!

This chipper will not perform well from the thick rough, the blade height is short on purpose as most of the weight is located at the bottom of the head on the wide sole to help prevent chunking.

As for the method for using the chipper, I would just say try what works best for you, there are likely many ways to make it work. I personally use a putting stroke from the fringe, and more of a chipping swing from 10 yards in around the green, low grip pressure at all times, and I won't use it if the grass is long!

JR

30 minutes ago, TRUEZEROOFFSET said:

Gentlemen,

I would like to thank the testers along with everyone else who has chimed in so far in this thread!

As the developer/designer of this TB-30 chipper, I'd just like to mention that as per our website description, this chipper is meant to be used right around the greens for golfers who struggle with a conventional wedge and who would typically resort to their putter due to lack of confidence with a conventional wedge, first and foremost.

A little history! The initials TB-30 stand for a golfer named Tony Brennan, a guy who suffers from the yips around the greens with a wedge and has done so for many years. Tony uses the chipper from almost anywhere, from 90 yards in!? This is not what this chipper was designed for, this won't work for most golfers. But then again this is what the testing process is for I guess😃

This chipper is a crutch, if you tend to get tight (no pun intended) on the course and you're hitting from a tight lie, and you either consistently chunk or skull your chips when it counts, then this chipper is for you, your bad misses will typically still end up within a makable 10-15 foot range, not bad considering where a bladed chip usually ends up!

This chipper will not perform well from the thick rough, the blade height is short on purpose as most of the weight is located at the bottom of the head on the wide sole to help prevent chunking.

As for the method for using the chipper, I would just say try what works best for you, there are likely many ways to make it work. I personally use a putting stroke from the fringe, and more of a chipping swing from 10 yards in around the green, low grip pressure at all times, and I won't use it if the grass is long!

JR

Awesome of you to jump in on the testing thread!  Welcome to MGS! I enjoy it when the designers get involved!

I am only following this thread, not as a tester, but have owned a low face putter style chipper , and had varied results.  By following this topic, I'm hoping to see where my own faults prevented me from keeping it in the bag.

2 hours ago, TRUEZEROOFFSET said:

Gentlemen,

JR

Thanks for the insight, I appreciate you taking the time to fill us in a little.

I did try a few full swings at the range and got about 70 to 75 yards of good, straight shots out of it, but I don't see me using it that way.  As I mentioned previously, it's relatively short for me, it's the same 35 inches as my putter and at least an inch and a half shorter than my 43 degree.  I'm 6'3" so a full swing with a 35 inch club feels a little awkward.  Also, once I approach 50 yards, I'm breaking out the wedge.

I can say that I've had luck on the practice green with varying degrees of grass, including some pretty thick stuff.  I don't think the grass bothers the club at all, but that's just me.

More to follow - my round got interrupted yesterday by a brush fire so I only used it once before we quit and went home.  I have a 3:22 tee time today though and taking the grandson with me, so we'll get some more use out of it.

BigMacQue
Vokey Wedges, 50 and 56
Titleist Tour Soft

Hello MGS fam! I was finally able to get the TB-30 and provided my first impressions here

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62523-arias-golf-canada-tb-30-chipper-2024-forum-review/?do=findComment&comment=1004909

PXG 0811x Gen 4 9 degree driver

Exotic 3,4,5 hybrid

Sub70 699 6-AW for itons

Kirkland wedges 56 & 60

Scotty Cameron Studio 1.5 putter

12 hours ago, TRUEZEROOFFSET said:

Gentlemen,

JR

Thank you for the insight JR!

PXG 0811x Gen 4 9 degree driver

Exotic 3,4,5 hybrid

Sub70 699 6-AW for itons

Kirkland wedges 56 & 60

Scotty Cameron Studio 1.5 putter

I managed to get a round in yesterday, so I used the Arias Chipper when an opportunity presented itself.  I didn’t always remember to take pics as we were playing, but the two sets of pics are a pretty good indication of how things went.

First, the difference between the practice green and the course:  on the practice green you’re firing off shot after shot, tweaking this, trying that, and staying in sync with the club.  On the course you don’t always get presented with an opportunity on every hole, and when you do those opp’s can be few and far between.   All this to say: it will take more time with the club to be fair and impartial in judging the performance of the club….. Well, actually my performance with the club.

Also, I did a simulator session with it but honestly it seems pointless.  The goal / aim / purpose of this club is a bit more accuracy than a simulator is going to provide.  I can get numbers on swing speed, strike, angle, etc. I just don’t feel like it’s valuable info for when the rubber meets the road.

The pics below show two typical results.  I’ve circled the flag on the longer shots to give you a feel of what I was up against.  I only had two other holes where an opportunity presented itself but these results are pretty typical.

The first set shows a pretty positive result.  The view of the shot and the result show a good result.  I was pleased with that.

chipper_2ndtimeuse_1a.jpg.54d25bcfccadd1735340937a88abba6f.jpg

chipper_2ndtimeuse_1b.jpg.bbc6ca1d794c75f556dbdaf11766634d.jpg

The second … not so much.  I shanked it and sent the ball flying off to the left, nowhere near my target and still off the green.  Like I said it will take some time to get proficient with the club.

chipper_2ndtimeuse_2a.jpg.941e0599af24df306bcac29f5e9316b6.jpg

chipper_2ndtimeuse_2b.jpg.44897ed0cf8d36718e8ddb05b83344c8.jpg

More to follow ..... 

Edited by BigMacQue
correct the pictures

BigMacQue
Vokey Wedges, 50 and 56
Titleist Tour Soft

I used the Arias TB-30 Chipper at Pebble Beach this week (kind of)... how's that for clickbait?

Check the brief update here

48 minutes ago, Bulldog said:

I used the Arias TB-30 Chipper at Pebble Beach this week (kind of)... how's that for clickbait?

Check the brief update here

So I can see where the chipper would not be ideal for that situation,  unless you plan to full on hammer it. Plus, synthetic surfaces are not going to give you real-world ground contact conditions,  density, or feedback.

How do you guys find the feel of the club so far and as it looks like there is a good bit of relief on the trail side do you think this could could be good for those struggling in bunkers with little to no lip? Almost like a runner type shot?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

5 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

How do you guys find the feel of the club so far and as it looks like there is a good bit of relief on the trail side do you think this could could be good for those struggling in bunkers with little to no lip? Almost like a runner type shot?

So far so good.

Bunkers I'm not sure about, but I'll try some.  My initial thought on that is the club really isn't going to dig into the sand well enough to pop the ball out but if only knows that by trying. I know I wouldn't try it in a deep bunker with a steep climb.

I like the feel of the club, the weight appears to be lower and spread well across the bottom, giving some good oomph when hitting the ball. The weight seems to me to mate up well with a putting stroke, it's going to push the ball further with about as much exertion as you would swing your putter so I think it works well.

So far, in play, I'm still kind of mixed on it but I'm playing today and tomorrow, so more to follow.

BigMacQue
Vokey Wedges, 50 and 56
Titleist Tour Soft

7 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

For me the feel is very good.  It is much heavier than my regular clubs with the most solid feel at impact of any club in my bag, sort of like hitting a nail with a hammer.   It produces a satisfying "click" at impact.  I suppose if you hit your putter hard enough it would feel similar (don't do it).

I'm eager to try it from a bunker.  I think you might be on track with the idea of low lipped bunkers 'cause it wants to hit low running shots.  That will be a very specific scenario.  I'll try to test that also.  The course I'm playing tomorrow has a few shallow green-side bunkers.  Maybe I'll aim for them 😜.

Anyone have opportunities to create some videos from different lies and distances?

12 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

...do you think this could could be good for those struggling in bunkers with little to no lip? Almost like a runner type shot?

I decided to check the bunker shot idea, and went to another course nearby that has a shallow practice bunker. 

4E9F1C8C-03B4-411E-AB67-396411E422AB_1_105_c.jpeg.70309cc3bd5fffbba395840e34b4b219.jpeg

In the picture above, you can see that the sand on the far side of the bunker has almost no lip, especially where the tire tracks are.  I was able to get out of the bunker fairly easily with the chipper.  There would be a lot of other options to go that way, including using a putter.

0E286895-D136-4454-B816-221D9DCF7299_1_105_c.jpeg.78ba2622cb8a8ab64268ed94a6a440c5.jpeg

My next series was to the left of the rake in the picture above.  The lip was about two feet high.  I was able to get out with the chipper, clearing the lip by a couple of feet. This would be the situation where I would most likely consider using the chipper if there was plenty of green to hit, and roll out on.

7FBD5FE0-9105-4A02-80A6-71077877BE31_1_105_c.jpeg.0d7b6f2b8588d2050b9b981ad6136755.jpeg

Finally, I tried a higher lip.  It doesn't look that high in the picture, but there is a significant up slope from where the picture was made.  I would say from where the balls lay, it was just shy of five feet vertically to clear the lip.  At first, the Arias Chipper couldn't get any shots over the lip. Then I opened the face about 30° and started clearing the lip by about a foot for multiple shots.  The balls had a shallow landing angle and rolled at least twice the distance they flew. Fun to try for practice, but I wouldn't try it when scores count.

I can see using the chipper for the sand in a very specific scenarios. 

Edited by Bulldog

15 hours ago, Bulldog said:

I decided to check the bunker shot idea, and went to another course nearby that has a shallow practice bunker. 

4E9F1C8C-03B4-411E-AB67-396411E422AB_1_105_c.jpeg.70309cc3bd5fffbba395840e34b4b219.jpeg

In the picture above, you can see that the sand on the far side of the bunker has almost no lip, especially where the tire tracks are.  I was able to get out of the bunker fairly easily with the chipper.  There would be a lot of other options to go that way, including using a putter.

0E286895-D136-4454-B816-221D9DCF7299_1_105_c.jpeg.78ba2622cb8a8ab64268ed94a6a440c5.jpeg

My next series was to the left of the rake in the picture above.  The lip was about two feet high.  I was able to get out with the chipper, clearing the lip by a couple of feet. This would be the situation where I would most likely consider using the chipper if there was plenty of green to hit, and roll out on.

7FBD5FE0-9105-4A02-80A6-71077877BE31_1_105_c.jpeg.0d7b6f2b8588d2050b9b981ad6136755.jpeg

Finally, I tried a higher lip.  It doesn't look that high in the picture, but there is a significant up slope from where the picture was made.  I would say from where the balls lay, it was just shy of five feet vertically to clear the lip.  At first, the Arias Chipper couldn't get any shots over the lip. Then I opened the face about 30° and started clearing the lip by about a foot for multiple shots.  The balls had a shallow landing angle and rolled at least twice the distance they flew. Fun to try for practice, but I wouldn't try it when scores count.

I can see using the chipper for the sand in a very specific scenarios. 

This is kinda what I was thinking as well. Could be useful in specific spots!

Thanks for testing!

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Another question for the testers while I'm thinking of it... Well questions.

Zero offset- plus for you guys? Do you prefer that look or style? Compared to offset (I would imagine taking your 5 iron or something to compare would be interesting)

For the Chipper to earn a permanent spot in your bag what does it have to do? Of course this is built to help with those who struggle around the greens and that it should help simplify the short game area. However being a specialty club, it still takes up a slot of your allotted 14. 

Where or what club would it replace or kick?

T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Just wanted to clarify why the True Temper stickers were not stuck on the shafts of the TB-30 chippers before delivery... On our website, we make available the following three options for our golf clubs (please note that not many companies offer this option to begin with!

- Logo up

- Logo down

- I don't care where the logos fall throughout the set I want my shafts spine aligned.

We do this because most premium True Temper shafts now come with a huge logo stuck on the shafts at the factory as many of you know. (It didn't use to be this way) 

Many golfers do not want to see the huge logos sticking up at address on their irons and wedges, but a few do.

This option on our website was never meant for those small labels, we leave it to our customers to decide if they want them on their shafts or not. I can say that most do not want those small labels on the shafts because they tend to look crappy in no time as you slide the clubs back and forth in your golf bag. 

We favor a clean look here at Arias golf.😉

JR