Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

2020 Official Member Review: Honma TR20 driver

honma.jpg

Did you know that Honma has been making golf clubs since 1959?

Give this a quick read to learn all about them - https://mygolfspy.com/honma-north-america-and-the-quest-to-figure-it-all-out/

These 4 members will be testing the TR20 driver (top 5 in 2020 Most Wanted!) to learn exactly what makes Honma golf so special.

Testing the 440 model:
@golfingbrock
@DPattGolf

Testing the 460 model:
@Getoffmylawn
@Judge Smails

We are all excited to see what these clubs can do for you and look forward to hearing your thoughts!
Go get em fellas.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, TM Sim2 19*, Cobra F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Cleveland HB Soft #1 w/UST
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

Golfingbrock’s HONMA TR20 440 Review

Hello friends,

My name is Brock, and I am a 37 year old golf nut from Texas.  I tested the Honma TR20 440 Driver with a Vizard FP7-X Shaft.

I have been playing since I was a kid, and I walked onto my college team and got to play for 3 years with some great players. Though I now don’t play as much as I used to, between family and work, I still get out a few times a month, currently a +2 handicap, and obsess about golf daily.

By the way, HUUUGE thanks to MGS and Honma the testing opportunity, and a very understanding wife, as I have gotten out twice as much these last 6 weeks (for research purposes, of course).75253468_IMG_20200716_193326(3).jpg.39eae2ce4a63885d97eab8223b2ac591.jpg

I bought my current gamer, a Tour Edge XCG7 Beta with an X-Stiff Ozik Matrix Black Tie 44.5” shaft on the Used rack at PGA Tour Superstore in 2015. Before the Tour Edge, I had a Taylormade R7 425 Quad that I found on Ebay.  As you may have guessed, I wasn’t ‘fit’ for my gamer, but I did test it against the TM SLDR, Ping G30, Nike Covert, and a few others, and the Tour Edge gave me comparable results at a fraction of the cost, so I took a chance on it. As you can see, I found the center a lot.

IMG_20200714_144434.jpg.66def7ef7918335338e45383bc0a62a3.jpg

I let my brother use my Tour Edge while in Utah, because he wasn't touching my Honma.  Here's his first swing!😬

958379096_MGSHONMA7.jpg.e5b65ef9e1cd680b3a32b9df26da8000.jpg

My strength has always been my irons, and my driver has become more solid the last few years.  I prefer a low/mid flight with low spin since I play in a lot of wind. My normal carry distance is around 260-270 with roll out to 280-300. My go to shot is a draw, but I can miss it both ways if I need to avoid trouble.

First impressions:

I knew very little about Honma before the review process, other than that they made some really expensive gold-plated clubs (the Beres line), and that Justin Rose played Honma for a year before going back to TM.  When the TR20 came out he had some pretty great results immediately, including a 2nd at the Singapore Open (where he averaged 323 yds on 7 measured drives) and a T5 at the Hero World Challenge. 

As I delved into the company, I learned about their history of over 60 years producing high quality craftsman clubs in Sakata, Japan, and that they build all the components from heads to Vizard (a combination of Victory and Wizard) shafts in house with the utmost quality control. Honma sought to provide the perfect blend of beauty and performance.

I hit a TR20 440 with a stock Stiff shaft a few times at PGA Tour Superstore before mine arrived, and it had a great sound and feel, but as it wasn’t tuned to me, it wasn’t any better than my current gamer.  For the TR20 to earn a spot in my bag, it would have to give me better distance while maintaining my accuracy, and be a club I can trust under pressure.

Grading:

Looks: 10/10

This driver has tons of tech inside, but the outside is all class. With several manufacturers going with a matte black finish, the Honma really stands out!  From the shiny black top and polished titanium face, to the tasteful gold accents on the carbon fiber woven sole, it almost looks too pretty to hit. The shape is a classic pear shape, and the top of the club has no markings, which I love! The club sits very nice and square at set up, and gives me confidence to swing away.

Honma starts the process by hand carving the shape of the head out of a block of Mississippi persimmon by the craftsmen in Japan. Once that was perfect, they built a very light titanium frame so that they could position the adjustable weights in the perfect spots, and added the ET40 carbon crown and the woven carbon sole.

The Headcover is also high quality, and not only protects the club, but makes the bag look really sharp!

807255080_MGSHONMA1.jpg.b5a2f036069c7784f68f71fc146e4432.jpg1056815496_MGSHONMA2.jpg.077cbec7546ca090dd973bcb58b9353e.jpg377605570_MGSHONMA6.jpg.7aa701ffc7a4a561b5e0821934e1cfae.jpg

Sound/Feel: 9/10

The sound is a nice THWACK when you hit it in the center.  It’s not too muted or too tinny. Mis-hits have a bit more reverb and a slightly deeper tone. One of my playing partners says it even sounds fast!

It feels smooth like a persimmon when you hit the center of the face, but it feels a heavy when you miss it high or on the toe. But you can feel exactly where on the face you missed it, so the feedback response is great.  It feels slightly worse than my gamer on mis-hits(-1), but the added feedback is nice.

Basic Characteristics: 19/20

Trajectory:  The TR20 has a good mid-ball flight when I have it set at 8.5.  I can flight it high or low as as needed, but normal launch is 14°

Workability: This driver is much more stable than what I had before, and while I can work it a bit, it is harder to curve with precision than my old gamer (-1)

Accuracy: I can tell a definite improvement in dispersion, and the results are repeatable with good swings.  I had several in a row on the simulator and range that were almost identical.  This is much harder to do on the course!

Distance:  On the course it seems to be at least 10-15 yards longer.  The simulator showed significant gains in clubhead and ball speed, carry distance, and total distance!

image.png.1b202068f38d8ee6b5d587817541c8c8.png

Forgiveness:  While you can definitely feel mis-hits, they aren’t overly penal and are still within 10-15 yards of good strikes. 

Adjustability: With the 3 sole weight adjustments that provide high MOI, low spin, or draw bias, and 4 hosel adjustment options to change the loft up or down 1 degree or lie up to 2 degrees upright, there are multiple options to fine tune to the best possible option.  There are two 3g weights, and 1 9g weight. I tried them all!

Under Pressure –If I know I need to carry a distance (up to around 270), I feel confident that will be no problem with a solid swing.  On a tight hole I trust my fairway finder swing to keep me in play. I now know I can hit driver off the deck if needed.

On Course Performance: (28/30)

Overall, how did it Perform?

Overall, the Honma has performed exceptionally on the course. My first round, while playing with bruised ribs, but aided by elevation, ibuprofen and beer, I hit several over 300 (and a couple near 350) on a mountain course. 

When I got back to my home course,  the gains were still there, and even had a few wedges and short irons into par 5’s. I had 1 bad driving round, but dialed in the adjustments, and now this thing is money. This driver, like any driver can still miss big right or left with just the wrong swing!

In my last round, after laying up short of a creek with a 285 yard carry to clear, I pegged a 2nd ball to see if I the Honma could clear, and when I arrived, it was sitting in the fairway 50 yards past the creek! 

How, if at all, did this product change your impression of the Honma?  I went from knowing next to nothing about Honma to a true believer in a few short weeks. Pure class from customer service to clubs. 

What feature would you change or eliminate from the next generation of this model?

The weight adjustments are nice and intuitive. I love that the shaft stays in the same alignment with all the loft and lie adjustments. But I wish extra weights came with the clubs, including 6g and 12g to provide more adjustability options. Then again, too many options might drive a tinkerer mad!

Here's my videos with several swings and sounds.  My favorites are the reactions from partners when it's hit!

Miscellaneous: 10/10

Although we weren’t able to get fit in person, @PrestonAtHonma took the time with each of us to get us into a great driver.  We talked specs and our game for 40 minutes  @PMookie and perhaps others can speak to the premium fitting experience. Though I had wondered if any other shaft or loft option would have been chosen with a fitting, once I hit it I knew I had the right club. 

As I was travelling the week the driver was set to ship, Preston was able to get the driver sent to our Airbnb in Utah so that the package wasn’t left on the porch.  Throughout the process, Preston was available for feedback and adjustment help.

Also, it was comforting knowing that our clubs were assembled by Master club builder “Wedge Wizard” Jason Sanborn. The packaging, tooling and adjustment instructions were all included, and making adjustments is easy, though the Japanese to English translation in the instructions was a bit confusing at times.

445301026_MGSHONMA8.jpg.ec384d450f96436f2a031c65d1c99ad2.jpg694171055_MGSHONMA9.jpg.8e9134b3e3d38002904d8d9b327b09bf.jpg

Play it or Trade it? 19/20

I gifted my Tour Edge driver to my brother-in-law today, who just recently started playing. As much as I loved that club, it’s been replaced in the bag by Honma!

The Honma TR20 is made for the low to mid handicapper with refined taste. The ‘TR’ in the model number stands for ‘Tour Release’.  This club performs better than my current gamer by quite a good margin, so the Honma will definitely stay in my bag. If I had the option to keep the 440 or go with the 460, I'm fairly certain I would keep the 440.

962441372_MGSHONMA13.jpg.27a059f3e5727ddfa50d8e0098a1f47b.jpg

As a budget conscious golfer who’s never been fit for clubs or purchased a brand-new driver, I’m not necessarily the target audience for $750 premium driver. However, as a low handicapper trying to get the most out my game, I feel confident that this will help me play my best golf.

Conclusion:

This is a serious club with great tech that should be strongly considered with the bigger name brands if you are in the market for a custom fit driver.  I have gained yards, have shorter clubs into greens on average, and am consistently in play. The fine-tuning loft and weight adjustments can also help really dial in the swing.

Although this club might not be for everyone, it is in my opinion the sexiest driver on the market. It’s a great conversation starter with playing partners, and it’s fun to see the awe on their face when it pops off the club face!

With their quality craftsmanship and now with the Honma House in Carlsbad, Ca and the Tour experience fitting vans available, I expect big things for Honma in the US and in a lot more bags over the next few years.

At the start of the process, before I talked with Preston, and before I swung the club, I expected my review to be much more critical, but here we are with an A+!

Disclaimer: When @PrestonAtHonmaasked why I chose the 440 over the 460, I told him that it improved my odds of being picked, because a majority of the applicants picked the 460 😎

FINAL SCORE: 95/100

IMG_20200714_144434.jpg

:honma: 💣Driver: Honma TR20 440 8.5° w/ Vizard FP-7X SHAFT - REVIEW POSTED 💣

:adams-small:3 Wood:  Adams TightLies Titanium 3+  - Shaft Bassara E55 x5ct

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Taylormade RBZ 2.  16.5°-  Stock Shaft- Stiff

image.png.5094bf65d200d3ff7ef5ed059993dfb4.png Irons: SUB70 639 CB 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X-STIFF

:mizuno-small::cleveland-small:Wedges: GW: SUB70 Raw 48° Mizuno Mp series 52 SW: Cleveland RTX 2.0  56° LW: Mizuno JPX 900 60°

:odyssey-small:Putter: Odyssey White Ice Sabertooth- Superstroke Slim 3.0 grip

:taylormade-small:Bag: Taylormade FlexTech Lifestyle Carry bag- Houndstooth

HONMA TR20 DRIVER – OFFICIAL MGS FORUM REVIEW by DPATTGOLF

Before I get started, like my fellow testers have already stated, a massive thank you to both the MyGolfSpy Team and Honma for this amazing opportunity to test the TR20 Driver.

INTRO
giphy.gif

My name is David and I am an assistant golf professional from the golf paradise that is Central Oregon. While my game has progressed greatly over the years (especially since turning Pro), I have always leaned heavily on my distance off the tee and my play on and around the green. So I often employ a “pound driver” strategy to help create more birdie chances. Currently I have driver swing speed in the 115-120mph range (I have once touched 126mph). So if I have a driver that keeps the ball in or around the fairway I’m going to hit 9 iron or less into just about every par 4 and probably be able to reach every par 5 in 2. Currently in the bag is the Titleist TS3 with an Extra Stiff Diamana D+ Limited that has been cut 1” short and tipped 1/2”. I originally got fit for this as part of a pseudo Titleist staff deal I have with the course I work at. 

FIRST IMPRESSION
IMG_0957.thumb.JPG.ca14fb5282abf254322ab7f33d6e7c60.JPG

First off, my fitting conversation with @PrestonAtHonma was excellent. By the end of the call he ended up suggesting I go with the 8.5* head and start with the 9 gram weight forward. A touch of hot melt was also added. Shaft wise we settled on the Vizard FP-7X cut 1” short (44.5”) and tipped 1”. Once in hand the TR20 screamed of simple, efficient and effective design choices. Nothing about it was at all like the Beres line of clubs. From the box it showed up in to the headcover, everything shares a simple black look with some small tasteful hints of white and Honma’s signature gold. The movable weight system was also kept simple by going with just 3 ports. If there was one place that wasn’t so simple, it's the non-rotating hosel. The included manual is the main culprit since it didn’t include a full English adjustment graph like most major OEMs. With all of this being said, if the TR20 is going to stick in my bag it will need to be able to do 2 major things. 1) See less shots turn over hard left compared to my TS3. 2) See at least similar carry and spin numbers to my TS3. If it ends up getting better distance or spin control that is just a nice bonus to me. 

LOOKS (9 out of 10 points) 
IMG_0950.thumb.JPG.b43fb1bcbe9f22d143602afe95ebc3d6.JPG

Oh man is this a good looking driver. Honma absolutely nailed the shape of this head and it's totally understandable why they actively include the “Takumi Shaped” head in their advertising. I really can’t say it enough. I mean I have always loved the looks of Titleist drivers but the TR20 makes my TS3 look sharp and boxy. Graphics on the bottom of the head are clean and the Callaway-esque ghosted carbon fiber fits perfectly with the glossy black crown.

IMG_0960.thumb.JPG.2cf2cdc350c4528a3deba711f2ba2ea9.JPG

Now I have 2 “nitpick” items that keep me from giving looks a Perfect 10. 1) Even though the silver face has grown on me a lot, I really want to see this club with a dark face. 2) I really wish that there was some kind of alignment aide on the crown just to provide that extra bit of confidence. I mean this driver is just screaming to have something like a small silver Honma Mole logo on the crown.

IMG_0959.thumb.JPG.81693f411d263fe314ff57d23d7cbb7c.JPG

SOUND & FEEL (10 out of 10 points)
Sound and feel were outstanding. Outside of the TR20’s looks at address, the sound was where it received the most of its compliments. Being a former baseball player, I have always been drawn to the louder and more explosive sounding drivers out there. Heck one of my favorites of All-Time was my Cleveland Hi-Bore XLS from high school that consistently would ring the ear drums of every golfer on the range. Now the TR20, especially with the Hot Melt in mine, is completely different. Think more muted but still powerful sounding like a wooden bat. Feel wise is along the same lines and actually reminds me a lot of hitting a fastball right on the sweet spot with a wood bat. It doesn’t feel hard like you are expecting but it instead almost feels springy and like the ball is coming off with less spin. Now this setup doesn’t make for a feel & sound that makes you think you just ripped one 400 yards but it doesn’t feel short either. 

BASIC CHARACTERISTICS (17 out of 20 points)
When I first had an opportunity to take it to the range, there were a few things that I noticed almost immediately compared to my TS3. First being the forgiveness off toe strikes. On the range I would hit a few shots off of the toe and would look up to find them not turning over as far left as I was expecting. Second would be the ball flight and spin control. Even during some windy sessions, the ball would still come out with a strong trajectory and not want to balloon on me. Both of these two factors were present from the very first swing and remained that way throughout the entirety of the testing process both indoors while using GCHawk and outdoors on the course and range. 
If there was a disappointment early on, it was that the TR20 seemed to be lacking some top end distance both on the range and indoors on the launch monitor. While it by no means was short, it seemed to lacked that bomb that my TS3 would occasionally produce. Unfortunately, it’s not reflected in the data from my GCHawk session below, but during the warm up with both clubs my TS3 uncorked one 360 yards. The longest the TR20 got during that entire session was 345 yards.

IMG_0947.PNG

Everything else you would look for out of a driver (such as workability and confidence at address) was near indistinguishable from the TS3.

ON-COURSE PERFORMANCE (29 out of 30 points)
As good as it was on the range, the TR20 turned into an absolute beast once it stepped onto the course. This was no range paper tiger. Both in the original setup and the current setup I‘m using now (lofted down to 7.5* with the 9 gram weight in the rear) it was incredibly consistent and downright long! At home (3,500-4,500 feet of elevation) 330-355 yards has kind of become the norm and 360+ has been reached on multiple occasions. And when I have traveled across the mountains to play at or near sea level the story has been pretty similar with it settling in around 310-330 yards. And this wasn’t just practice round performance either. The TR20 went in the bag for the Washington Open, Northwest Open and Oregon Chapter Championship and it hit rockets everywhere and in all conditions. Probably the most impressive was a 370 yard bomb I launched in Walla Walla (roughly 900 feet of elevation) right down the middle of the fairway on a relatively calm winded day. This gave me a huge advantage as I was able to reach that 625 yard par 5 in 2 with a 4 iron and 2 putt for birdie while both of my playing partners were nearly 50 yards behind me and had to layup.

image.jpeg

The craziest part of all is that I started hitting more fairways too. I mean I had my first ever round where I hit all 14 fairways and it wasn’t like I was laying back or hitting a bunch of irons off the tee. I was trying to hit the living crap out of the golf ball and didn’t miss a single fairway. 

IMG_0927.PNG.b8f85a3129ffe894fc09aea6a18e5271.PNG

Overall the TR20 performed on course like an absolute beast. And when I think about how this is Honma’s first driver launched in North America, I am all the more impressed 

MISCELLANEOUS (9 out of 10 points)
I am only deducting one point here purely because the user manual lacks a complete English translated adjustment chart. It wasn’t too difficult to determine what was what after looking at it for a while but, if Honma is really wanting to break into North America this needs to be included in the future.

PLAY IT or TRADE IT? (19 out of 20 points)
This will absolutely be staying in the bag. The performance is outstanding and will be very difficult for anything in the near future to come close to knocking it out of the bag. Period. Not only was this driver intriguing to every playing partner I had, it was also consistently longer (and in play) than everyone I played with.
Now about my setup’s $750 price tag. No way around it, that is a lot of money for most people. However, you can’t treat this as just a $750 driver head. You need to look at it like a $450 driver head with a $300 upcharge exotic shaft. Plain and simple, the shaft is that good and a similar quality shaft from a different manufacturer is going to run you at least $300 anyways.

CONCLUSION
If you're a high swing speed player like myself and you're looking for a new driver, you absolutely need to add the Honma TR20 to your fitting list. For me, this was an absolute beast as I saw good distance with improved forgiveness and consistency over my Titleist TS3. I have been so impressed with this offering from Honma I really want to try out more of their clubs. Who knows, maybe Honma will want to help out a young assistant pro from Central Oregon someday.

FINAL SCORE: (93 out of 100 points

IMG_0948.GIF

*:taylormade-small: Staff Professional*

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

4 Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (5-7) :taylormade-small: P7MC - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Irons (8-P) :taylormade-small: P7MB - KBS C-Taper 130 X

Wedges: :taylormade-small: MG3 Black 50.09 / 55.11 - KBS TOUR FLT 130 X

60* Wedge: :taylormade-small: High Toe Raw - KBS Tour 130 X

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Bag:  :taylormade-small: FlexTech Stand Bag

Glove:  :taylormade-small: Tour Preferred Glove

Ball: :taylormade-small: TP5X #11

RangeFinder: :918457628_PrecisionPro: R1 Smart Rangefinder

Instagram: @dpattgolf

I am beyond thrilled to have this opportunity and can't wait to get testing.  My gamer is the first Epic, so I'm hopeful I'm in line for some big ball speed gains.  I only ask that if I'm missing something or not being comprehensive enough, let me know!  I want to do right by this group that I'm ecstatic to be a part of.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

28 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

These 4 members will be testing the TR20 driver (top 5 in 2020 Most Wanted!) to learn exactly what makes Honma golf so special.

Testing the 440 model:
@golfingbrock
@DPattGolf

Testing the 460 model:
@Getoffmylawn
@Judge Smails

We are all excited to see what these clubs can do for you and look forward to hearing your thoughts!
Go get em fellas.

Congratulations guys.  Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the gonna driver!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

I keep saying 2020 is the BEST YEAR EVER! 😂😂   Really looking forward to testing and sharing my thoughts on the Honma TR20 440! 

My current gamer is a 7 year old Tour Edge XCG7 Beta w/ Ozik Black Tie X-Stiff shaft.  It is 44.75" which I think has helped w/ my dispersion and I have kept up with or beyond most of my playing partners as they've upgraded the last few years, but I think there is a really strong chance that the Honma will get me some extra yards and earn a spot in the bag! 

In the mean time, I'll be pounding 2 protein shakes a day til this sweet stick comes in.

image.png.5094bf65d200d3ff7ef5ed059993dfb4.png Irons: SUB70 639 CB 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 X-STIFF

:mizuno-small::cleveland-small:Wedges: GW: SUB70 Raw 48° Mizuno Mp series 52 SW: Cleveland RTX 2.0  56° LW: Mizuno JPX 900 60°

1 hour ago, MDGolfHacker said:

Congratulations guys.  Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the gonna driver!

MDGolfHacker

I love how every time I try to type Honma on my phone, it autocorrects to Gonna 

I just got off a great call with Honma to get all my current specs.  Looks like I'll have my TR20 440 8.5 degree w/ Vizard FP-7 - X shaft some time late next week!

19 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Damn it @golfingbrock, you beat me to it.  I got the same call.

Not having a ton of familiarity or exposure to Honma, their rep just made a great first impression.  The first thing he did was apologize for COVID making a more traditional fitting difficult, and then followed that with a solid 15-20 Q&A about my game.  We chatted about my current gamer, what I tend to see on the course for typical flight, my big miss, etc.  I was fortunate in that I'd had a fitting session in March at GolfTec as well, so I was able to speak with some level of confidence to swing speed, spin numbers, launch, etc.  This guy was energetic, professional, and had all the time in the world to talk with me...great call.

So, a 460 TR20 with a 60g mid/mid Vizard shaft should be arriving next week.  Can't wait!

I haven't been fit before, so why start now?  I really wish we could have been able to do it in person, but I feel confident about the options we picked.  I play in a lot of wind, so went for the lowest loft option 8.5, which can be turned down to 7.5, then went to the low/mid flight FP-7 shaft which has a stiffer tip, or 'boardy' as like some like to say in golf forums.  

Also found this interesting tidbit from a MGS article when searching for info on the Vizard shafts:

image.png.501586911f85431bbd2a70fddc7f8d52.png

Dumbledore GIFs | Tenor

40 minutes ago, golfingbrock said:

I haven't been fit before, so why start now?  I really wish we could have been able to do it in person, but I feel confident about the options we picked.  I play in a lot of wind, so went for the lowest loft option 8.5, which can be turned down to 7.5, then went to the low/mid flight FP-7 shaft which has a stiffer tip, or 'boardy' as like some like to say in golf forums.  

Also found this interesting tidbit from a MGS article when searching for info on the Vizard shafts:

image.png.501586911f85431bbd2a70fddc7f8d52.png

Dumbledore GIFs | Tenor

Yeah, I'm with you.  Would have been nice, but I'm confident what's coming is going to work for me.  I have thought about taking it to Club Champion here at some point (I verified they fit Honma) and seeing what impact a couple aftermarket shafts have.  We'll see.  I don't know about your phone call, but on mine he went on for quite some time about the quality and craftsmanship behind their shafts, so I'm very optimistic.  @PMookiehad some very positive feedback about them too.

I could do without knowing that my golf shaft is not unlike Brangelina though, thanks for that...

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Had a great call with the rep today. Spent about a 1/2 hour of Q&A about my swing and just talkin a little golf in general. I'm getting the TR20 460 10.5, with....I cant remember the shaft
It's a stiff and 70g Vizard, but I dont remember exactly. Also, they are setting the hosel/head to the specs he thinks will work best for me, then I can tinker from there. I will definitely start out though, playing the setup how he recommends.

Sent from my SM-G973U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

On 6/26/2020 at 5:07 PM, golfingbrock said:

I love how every time I try to type Honma on my phone, it autocorrects to Gonna 

Cuz your phone knows your'e Gonna hit that Honma driver. 😆

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:ping-small: G400 Max 10.5° w/Ping Alta CB

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

I also had a chance to speak with our Honma contact for about 30 minutes or so the other day. Like everyone else the call was great and provide a ton of information on both the driver and Honma’s in house Vizard shafts. 

In terms of the specs for the driver we settled in on an 8.5* head with the 9 gram weight starting up front and a little bit of hot meld in the head to bring the swing weight up a little over D4. Shaft wise it will be coming with the Vizard FP 70x cut 1” short (Build length of 44.5”) and also tipped 1”. Definitely getting excited to get this setup in hand.

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (7.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X Tipped 1" 

3 Wood: :taylormade-small: Stealth Plus+ (14.25*) - Fujikura Ventus Blue 7x Tipped 1"

Driving Iron: :taylormade-small: P790 UDI 2 iron - HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

Putter: 5WoCG8Y.jpg Custom Black ER2 or Custom Black :taylormade-small: Del Monte

Just got word that my Honma TR20 440 is shipping today!  Haven't hit it yet, but can't say enough great things about the service and experience so far.  I'll be in Utah next week on vacation, and Honma was able to change shipping to the condo so I will have it on Monday!

Cal GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

Just got my notification as well.  Honma's Custom Fitting Manager sent me an email with a FedEx tracking number.  TR20 460 to arrive early next week.

I have to say I'm already quite impressed with Honma from a service standpoint.  For example, from the email I received:  "This is my email address and my cell phone number is listed below.  As you start to tinker with the driver or think about any adjustments to make, I'm certainly available to you and at your disposal.  Would be happy to chat some more to help you dial it in further if it's required."

Top notch.  

One other little gem we found out last week too...these sticks are coming to us from Honma's tour builder, "Wedge Wizard" on Instagram.  I'm psyched to say the least...

Still tracking for delivery tomorrow, 4 states away, where I'll be on Sunday.  I trust Fedex will handle it gently as they walk it into the UPS Store

throw over the fence - That's the kind of project I have to work ...

Looks like my is currently tracking to show up Monday as well. If it somehow shows up by Saturday I will be very tempted to try and throw it in the bag for the Oregon Open that starts on Tuesday

Mine will be here tuesday...I'm pumped

Driver:    :honma:TR20 10.5*

Hybrids:   :callaway-small: Epic SuperHybrid 3 18*   Epic 4h 23*   

Irons:    :mizuno-small:JPX900 Hot Metal 5-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:CBX2 52* 56* 60*

Putter:  :EVNROLL:EV8

Ball:    :bridgestone-small:Tour BXS

12 hours ago, B.Boston said:

looks like you're not the only ones starting to get shipping notifications.  And as far as the cute little "Team Honma Test" taking over the threads... 

1076439121_giphy(1).gif.2907885abb4edf8f4a9de858168610c6.gif

CC: @edingc @GB13 @daviddvm @Headhammer

#TestingTurfWars2020

#COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE 4

#MGSCOBRA2020

375956769_Ohno.gif.48b0bba883e671bcb332a2afb889cf2f.gif

Don't start something you can't finish folks.  I better not see any of this in the Team Honma thread...

35fd4e4dfbbfee0c261ec23973432d27.jpg.571e523aec0d5a05fc0b02f9d9029dc9.jpg

1 minute ago, fixyurdivot said:

As a favor to both the CC4 and Honma Testing groups, the AlignXL Testers have voted to not enter into this skirmish... 

fishlappingdance.gif.6ff262d2ac020426981dc7549587c63e.gif

We know, we know. You guys will be too busy playing with your balls to pay attention to us. 🤣🤣🤣

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 10.5 - Motore X F3 6X | :cobra-small: Speedzone 5-wood - Ventus Blue 8S | :titelist-small: TSi3 20* Hybrid - KBS Proto 85S

:edel-golf-1: SMS Pro 4-PW - Steelfiber i110S | :taylormade-small: MG3 Raw Black 50.09, 54.11, 58.11 - DG TI S200

:EVNROLL: ER2B | :titelist-small: Pro V1x | :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX9 Slope | Jones Trouper R | :CaddyTek: CaddyLite EZ v8

2 hours ago, B.Boston said:

We know, we know. You guys will be too busy playing with your balls to pay attention to us. 🤣🤣🤣

Thank you all for participating in our thread and giving our page count a boost 😂! We're on page 2 and about to get our sticks, and you are already on page 48 of banter in CC4!  Either way, it's Christmas in July for all of us right now!

image.png.1e3a931c65fa4aac08cc16a4dec3be44.png

Really looking forward to seeing your new toys, our pro at the club stocks Honma but he doesn't have these drivers yet. He does have a set of the irons and they are awfully pretty!!! 

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

Oh and if it comes down to an anchorman style rumble, I will be with the Cobras. CCC 4 Life!!!

Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

As a wee peace offering, check out this review from Peter Finch...