Golfspy_CG2 2024 Driver Shootout

Golfspy_CG2

29 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Wow, I didn't realize it had been this long since I updated the thread.   A lot has happened since then, and there has been a steady club with a surprise addition shaft. added to the bag.  I'll start a post below with my thoughts on each driver I tried this year, with a 1 to 100 point scale.  Kind of a mini Most Wanted, but in a much simpler and easy way to understand. 

The surprise club is this one, isn't it?

20170405-DSC_0237.jpg

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

So with the driver launch season being 4 months in, and me either having actually obtained and played the drivers below or tested during a fitting day.  Here are my results and thoughts.  I will update the thread and thoughts when the Titleist driver is released this summer.    Think of this as a poor mans MWT method. 

Callaway Ai Smoke Triple Diamond-Autoflex SF405 shaft  Earned the Starting Spot.  This was a late edition and shot in the dark.  After having a very in-depth discussion with another forum member on the AutoFlex shaft, I began the research on one either installed from order or ordering a AF from one of the OEM's and putting it in an existing head.   

As you recall I had the Callaway Ai Smoke Max D in the beginning, and it was vey very good.  But the more I heard about the TD head, I began to hear how forgiving the TD was along with the Low Spin, I thought I'd give it a try.   And I could not have picked a better combo.   I have been driving the ball better than I have in the last 5 to 8 years with this combo.  

I'll post the "winners" here in order for the TLDR crowd but details on the top 3 are below

1) Callaway Ai Smoke Triple Diamond

2) PING G430 Max 10K (Interesting Update Coming this week for this club) #Dream7 Testing !

3) Callaway Ai Smoke Max D

4 ) TaylorMade Qi 10 Max

5) Cobra DarkSpeed X

6) XXIO Prime 13

7) Srixon ZX 5 MK II LS

7) Mizuno ST Max 

8 ) Cleveland XL 

Callaway Ai Smoke Triple Diamond 

• Distance- 10.0 I have gained about 17 yards on average in total distance with this combo.   My CHS is slightly faster 84 to 85 peaked at 87 a few times, up from 80 to 81 previously. This may partly be due to the smaller club head size at 450 CC   Ball speed has generally increased about 5 to 7 mph.  With any previous driver, my "good drive" would be about 210 but most were in the 188 to 196 range.   Now a good drive is 224 to  230 and a couple that touched upper 230s.  But most are in the 210 to 211 range. 
  • Forgiveness - 8.5 -Forget everything you have heard about a Triple Diamond being hard to hit or fast swing speeds only.  If I can hit it, simply anybody can.  And it takes a pretty loose swing to hit a bad shot.  The adjustability of it helps with the shot shape you prefer...I prefer straight 🙂   So I go pretty neutral on it.  It is probably a little fade biased if anything, but as a fader myself, certainly nothing that creates too much of a fade. 
  • Sound Feel-9.5 I have said for two years that the Titleist TSR is the best sounding driver out there, but I they may have changed.  I can't believe how good this driver sounds.   I'm not the best at describing sounds, but it's a  slightly muted crack.   Not the real muted sound you usually get from Carbon Drivers.  It's simply a pleasing and addicting sound. 
  • Looks-9.0 I like the Gloss I like the Dark Gray Leading Border and the Carbon Fiber top blends nicely and provides a shiny look without being glaringly bright.  The 450 CC head doesn't look small.  It's still confidence inspiring.  As for the smoke look on the bottom, it's fine, I don't hate it or love it.  It's just 

Total Score 37.5  out of 40 94%

PING G430 MAX 10K

• Distance 9.0 As I believe I mentioned, this driver really benefitted from the Graphite Design VR Shaft I ordered with the All fit Fit adapter.  When I put that shaft in it, my spin came down about 400 to 500 RPM to about 2600 to 2700.  As a result, getting drives in the 215 range were not uncommon at all.  
  • Forgiveness 10.0  The highly touted 10K seems to work, this driver just goes straight, not matter what type swing you put on it.   It's what PING is known for and they have taken that to the next level with the MOI and design of this one. 
  • SondFeel-8.0   Ah, the old, kryptonite for PING.  As much love as it gets for the performance it's oft coitized  sound is well known to everyone.   I will say the G430 is better than the G425.   Still seems like they could improve this, but maybe it's just not a high priority for them.  But if it goes long and straight, I'll deal with the sound. 
  • Looks 9.5 - I am probably different than most here, as I'm not bothered by the Turbulators.   And I actually like a Matte looking driver, so PING has always been one of my favorites in that category. 

Total Score 36.5 out of 40 91%

Callaway Ai Smoke Max D 

• Distance 8.0  While I didn't get quite the distance I did with the TD, it was still a few yards longer than my previous gamer giving me maybe 190 to 198 on average.   I saw a couple best of around 218.  
  • Fogivness-9.0 This is where it shined, it was probably less fade biased than the TD, and that was very likely due to Max D design.  Lake most D models, it doesn't automatically turn your fades into draws, but more or less straightens them out a bit or less of a fade.  This is pretty much what I saw.  And with a really good swing I have been able to occasionally draw the TD as well as the MAX, but certainly not a shape I play consistently. 
  • Sound/Feel 9.5  Pretty much the same as the Triple Diamond, I couldn't noticeably tell any difference. 
  • Looks 9.0  Again same as the TD from an overall ascetics performance, the larger 460 cc footprint is noticeable but it doesn't appear to me as too big or distracting. 

Total score 35.5 out of 40 89% 

So that's the recap of the spring with each driver.   In full disclosures number 6-8 were only hit at demo/fitting days no on course use.  But I didn't order any of them following the demo day so that should be enough of an evaluation.   

I will say however the XXIO Prime is interesting and it has some potential to be up there with the distance leaders due to lightweight construction.  But the rep lost me when he told me their shaft was better than AutoFlex, even when I brought the TD with Autoflex out and it consistently had ball speeds higher than the XXIO.   However, it might be few dollars less than a stock driver with the Autoflex upgrade.   if someone is really interested in buying those yards.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I’d call it the CG2 MWT!

Nice update and results.  Hope the Ai TD works well for you going forward this year!

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Sim Ti 3 wood

Titleist U505 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons (4-PW)

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

2 hours ago, russtopherb said:

The surprise club is this one, isn't it?

20170405-DSC_0237.jpg

Man, how'd I forget that one! 

47 minutes ago, TJ Hall said:

I’d call it the CG2 MWT!

Nice update and results.  Hope the Ai TD works well for you going forward this year!

I think it'll be that or the PING 10K when the Autoflex Dream 7 comes in for testing.  Then of course the Titleist release.  So still more to come this year on this front! 

Posted (edited)
On 3/7/2024 at 5:46 PM, TJ Hall said:

Good luck with the fitting, provide an update of what you end up with!

I’ll be updating from my Stealth  2 to the 10.5* Q10 Max next week . I have been playing with the DEMO where I am a starter at my local course and actually was on the range this morning with it too. It is definitely more forgiving than my Stealth 2 and hitting it a tad higher and longer without having to adjust to the loft that my Stealth was set on , which was 9.75*!

Edited by THE GOLF GUY

Taylormade  Stealth 2  10.5*   Fujikura Ventus 5 S (tipped an inch)  @ upright @9.75*

Taylormade Stealth 2    HL 16.5* 3 wood Fujikura Ventus     6 S 

Taylormade Stealth 2   7 wood   Fujikura Ventus   7 S

Taylormade P7MC  5-PW  Aerotech Steelfiber  I 95 gm  R 

Tileist SM09 54 & 60* wedges

Ping Anser    

Bridgestone BXS         

3 hours ago, THE GOLF GUY said:

I’ll be updating from my Stealth  2 to the Q10 Max next week . I have been playing with the DEMO where I am a starter at my local course and actually was on the range this morning with it too. It is definitely more forgiving than my Stealth 2 and hitting it a tad higher and longer without having to adjust to the loft that my Stealth was set on , which was 9.75*!

I hate to have the Qi10 as 4th, when early on it was the leading candidate.  And truth be told, if it had an autoflex shaft in it, it might turn out to be the best.      I just can't get an autoflex for all of them...

Oprah You Get A (1).png

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I think it'll be that or the PING 10K when the Autoflex Dream 7 comes in for testing.  Then of course the Titleist release.  So still more to come this year on this front! 

I am excited to see what Titleist comes out with…it gets closer each day!

Edited by TJ Hall

TaylorMade Sim Ti 3 wood

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

3 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I hate to have the Qi10 as 4th, when early on it was the leading candidate.  And truth be told, if it had an autoflex shaft in it, it might turn out to be the best.      I just can't get an autoflex for all of them...

Oprah You Get A (1).png

You can get an Autoflex for each!  But if you’re like me and you did, you likely wouldn’t be golfing anymore…

TaylorMade Sim Ti 3 wood

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

2 hours ago, TJ Hall said:

You can get an Autoflex for each!  But if you’re like me and you did, you likely wouldn’t be golfing anymore…

Ha. Probably True!