Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

What do you look for in a review?

Hey golfers. Super new to the forum. Been a long time review reader and video watcher and am thinking of dipping my toes into the space with a different look on things. 

My question to you is what things do you personally look for in a review?

Things like what the level of skill a golfer should be to benefit from this piece of gear?

Will it directly lead to lower scores?

Price?

Availability? 

Data?

Technology?

Things like that. I have in my mind a few topics to touch on for a first video for my new hybrid that's currently on a FedEx truck making its way home, but I'd love to know what your thoughts are. 

"We're weekend golfers. Of course we just buy gear off the racks and wonder why it doesn't work"

I always look for negatives/things golfers didn't like in a review. Some of that is going to be personal to the golfer doing the testing/review, but no club is 100% absolutely amazing and the best ever. I find overly positive and glowing reviews to be less helpful than those where things that didn't work or the tester didn't like are pointed out. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

4 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

I always look for negatives/things golfers didn't like in a review. Some of that is going to be personal to the golfer doing the testing/review, but no club is 100% absolutely amazing and the best ever. I find overly positive and glowing reviews to be less helpful than those where things that didn't work or the tester didn't like are pointed out. 

Great point. Even if it's something as simple as the look of a club or the sound. I think there's got to be something that reviewers don't like. Gonna keep that in mind going forward. 👍

"We're weekend golfers. Of course we just buy gear off the racks and wonder why it doesn't work"

Welcome @LeakyValve!  

I look to see if the reviewer is "like me" from an age, swing speed, handicap or other attributes.  Any reviewer's success (or failure) doesn't automatically translate to mine.  However, if the reviewer's game is similar to mine there's a better chance it will. 

As a retired engineer, I be remiss in not mentioning having data that helps support their claims.  Though there's many aspects of a product's review that are subjective, I tend to migrate to those that are more objective.  That doesn't mean that feel, appearance and other subjective and personal preferences and/or opinions are not valuable.  They certainly are.  Heaven knows there's a lot about this game that isn't based just on data.  But there should be a balance. 

I personally like seeing where the reviewers are from, where they play and how they got into golf.  I find their diverse geographic locations, walks of life and reasons why they play golf very interesting and insightful.

I also look for reviews of products that I've purchased and use.  I find it a way of grounding my views with others' perspectives.  Did I see the same things?  How my opinions the same or different, etc.

With all that being said, I find all the forum's reviews (official or not) insightful and have made many purchased based on what I read.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  
23 minutes ago, Golf2Much said:

Welcome @LeakyValve!  

I look to see if the reviewer is "like me" from an age, swing speed, handicap or other attributes.  Any reviewer's success (or failure) doesn't automatically translate to mine.  However, if the reviewer's game is similar to mine there's a better chance it will. 

As a retired engineer, I be remiss in not mentioning having data that helps support their claims.  Though there's many aspects of a product's review that are subjective, I tend to migrate to those that are more objective.  That doesn't mean that feel, appearance and other subjective and personal preferences and/or opinions are not valuable.  They certainly are.  Heaven knows there's a lot about this game that isn't based just on data.  But there should be a balance. 

I personally like seeing where the reviewers are from, where they play and how they got into golf.  I find their diverse geographic locations, walks of life and reasons why they play golf very interesting and insightful.

I also look for reviews of products that I've purchased and use.  I find it a way of grounding my views with others' perspectives.  Did I see the same things?  How my opinions the same or different, etc.

With all that being said, I find all the forum's reviews (official or not) insightful and have made many purchased based on what I read.  

Those are great points. I often find myself scratching my head when reviewers don't mention things like their swing speeds. Ball speeds. What shaft their using etc. Anyone can see the off the rack new Qi10 and think yeah it looks great I'm gonna buy it. But a proper review from someone who's scratch is gonna be way more different than someone like myself at 10. I'm not hitting the centre of the face all the time. So do I get help from that?  My swing speed might be slower, is the off the shelf shaft going to suit me? 

Even saying things as a disclaimer help me personally when reading and watching reviews. 

Balance in a review is key. It's all very well writing up about equipment you love or about equipment you hate, but each one will have it's pros and cons.

A lot is also subjective - for instance, looks and feel. Maybe add playabilty and forgiveness to that list as well.

If I were to quote a former science tutor, every 'experiment' should be divided into the following sub-catergories:

Objective

Equipment used

Method

Results

Conclusions

That's it.

Edited by jaskanski
4 hours ago, LeakyValve said:

Hey golfers. Super new to the forum. Been a long time review reader and video watcher and am thinking of dipping my toes into the space with a different look on things. 

Things like what the level of skill a golfer should be to benefit from this piece of gear?

Price?

Availability? 

Data?

Technology?

Things like that. I have in my mind a few topics to touch on for a first video for my new hybrid that's currently on a FedEx truck making its way home, but I'd love to know what your thoughts are. 

I like understanding where the reviewers game is at relative to mine. Be it, "I tend to slice on misses... and this club helped etc." I need reviews to be relatable and then if they are backed up by data, both current and new metrics, I typically give it more credibility. 

Driver:   :cobra-small: King F8 9.5D w/Motore X1 x-stiff
Fairway:  :cobra-small: King F8 3 wood  
Hybrids:   :cobra-small: King F9 3 hybrid 19.5° Fujikura Atmos 7s stiff      
Irons:      :cobra-small: King F8 5-PW true temper XP 90 stiff 
Wedges: :callaway-small: 48° (10) Mack Daddy 4 S grind, :taylormade-small: 52° (09) Hi-Toe, :taylormade-small:56° (09) Milled Grind, :taylormade-small:60° (10) MG2 
Putter:    :Sub70: 004 Mallet w/ SuperStroke Zynergy 5.0

Ball: :vice: Pro (white & drip)

37 minutes ago, Stereotype said:

I like understanding where the reviewers game is at relative to mine. Be it, "I tend to slice on misses... and this club helped etc." I need reviews to be relatable and then if they are backed up by data, both current and new metrics, I typically give it more credibility. 

I'm sitting here typing up what I'm wanting to say for my first review and again this is an excellent point. Cheers!

49 minutes ago, jaskanski said:

Balance in a review is key. It's all very well writing up about equipment you love or about equipment you hate, but each one will have it's pros and cons.

A lot is also subjective - for instance, looks and feel. Maybe add playabilty and forgiveness to that list as well.

If I were to quote a former science tutor, every 'experiment' should be divided into the following sub-catergories:

Objective

Equipment used

Method

Results

Conclusions

That's it.

Simple and too the point. I like it. 

On 2/26/2024 at 10:12 AM, LeakyValve said:

Price?

Availability? 

Data?

Technology?

@LeakyValve, first off welcome to the forums. Always needing new input and sharing of experiences. Great question. It depends on the item being reviewed and if the review is by the mfgr or by someone on the forums. All of your points would or should be looked at and addressed. But the common golfer wouldn't generally have access to some of the technological methods used. Cost for sure, size is a big one for me. Being a tad bit rotundo many of the apparel items are out of my grasp as they don't make sizes above XL. Does the product really work? Looking forward to seeing what you are proposing. Again, welcome aboard.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet

I might be slightly different from other golfers in reading reviews or actually doing reviews. I first scan to see what type of golfer they are (handicap, how often they play, typical ball flight and such) I look for the negatives they encountered. Data is not much of a concern, I'll expand. Keep in mind that I was a mechanical engineer for many years.  If I give five golfers, the same club with the same ball I will get different data. Angle of attack, spin, swing speed, path, will all be different from one golfer to another. 

I look to read more about feel, sound, consistent performance. Did it put a smile on your face or have that wow moment. Will you keep the product in your bag going forward? Do you have any suggestions for improvement?

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

38 minutes ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I might be slightly different from other golfers in reading reviews or actually doing reviews. I first scan to see what type of golfer they are (handicap, how often they play, typical ball flight and such) I look for the negatives they encountered. Data is not much of a concern, I'll expand. Keep in mind that I was a mechanical engineer for many years.  If I give five golfers, the same club with the same ball I will get different data. Angle of attack, spin, swing speed, path, will all be different from one golfer to another. 

I look to read more about feel, sound, consistent performance. Did it put a smile on your face or have that wow moment. Will you keep the product in your bag going forward? Do you have any suggestions for improvement?

I feel these are things that are sometimes missed in reviews. I think that's how things used to be, then flight scopes and numbers bece the be all end all of golf. At the end of the day, my swing speed doesn't necessarily mean lower scores. But a certain club in my hands that instills a level of confidence no other one can, probably will. I'll be sure to keep this in mind going forward!! Cheers