FootJoy Pro/SLX Carbon - My review

Hello all, thanks for checking out my review. I will update it as courses open up here and I can get out. Hopefully next week!

Why I decided to buy the these shoes:

- I decided I wanted to be done with spiked shoes but I still wanted really good grip and stability. These at least looked like they would fit the bill.

- I liked the look much more that other footjoys I've considered. The white and black is the color of this pair but you can get all black as well. I just like the design, they look cool.

- I wanted high quality and the footjoys I've owned in the past held up really well for years. 

- They needed to be comfortable because I walk usually.

- They need to be waterproof for the same reason.

First Impression:

The box was nothing special but the shoes look great in hand. They have a quality feel and just seem like they are a serious golf shoe and they feel like they won't buckle in the swing. I love the look and design of the sole. It seems like it would be very grippy just looking at it. I walked around my place with them on for awhile and took some cuts with the Orange Whip. Talk about stable! These feel like the most stable golf shoes I've ever owned by a wide margin. I got size 11 but I will say it's a fairly tight 11. My last shoes were Adidas and they fit a bit larger. Next I took them to the range and they were just like they felt at home. I don't know if it was a coincidence or not but I was hitting the ball really well. It felt easier to transfer my weight back and through. They do not budge unless you want them to. At least on a matt anyway, I can't wait to try them on the course. They started opening up here today so I should get out next week, I have some time. I will update this review when I have time on the course with them.

To be continued.

..UPDATE 04/27

So I was finally able to get out and try these on course the other day. My first round of the year, I had two birdies but lets not talk about score! 

Comfort: I walked at a pretty tough course with my push cart. I brought back up shoes in case I needed them at the turn in case the Footjoys were causing me blisters or such. I'm happy to say there were no blisters and the shoes were actually fairly comfortable for the round and for a new shoe they did very well on the comfort front. I know they will be even better after a few rounds of course. For waterproof shoes they were pretty breathable too which was nice.

Water Proofing: I accidently walked through some casual water and my feet were bone dry, so as advertised on that front.

Grip and Stability: This was very, very impressive for a non-spiked shoe. They were so grippy and stable that I have to say there were better than my Adidas Spiked shoes I had for several years prior to this. I had no slippage or rolling at all and they created a really good, stable base to swing from. I could not be happier on that front and this was my biggest concern coming from spiked to spike-less. I can't believe how good they were, Footjoy did a great job on the design. (One aside is they are very slippery on tile floors in bathrooms etc. though, watch out for that.)

Looks: They went great with my navy pants and black shirt. 

I'll probably give one more update once I've played a few more rounds on them but for now I have to say I'm very happy with the purchase. 9/10 for now but we'll see how they do in different weather conditions. 

Update 2 - 05/03

I played another round on a course that was I think still partly frozen. My grip slipped on several tee boxes. I really think it was just the bullet hard ground but wanted to add this.

20240412_130123[1].jpg

20240412_130140[1].jpg

20240412_130202[1].jpg

Edited by FromRightToLeft
update

:titelist-small: TS2 - 9.0 

Callaway Rouge Max LS

:titelist-small: Ts2 - 3 Wood

:titelist-small: TS2 - 7 Wood

:titelist-small: AP1 716 - 6i - Wedge

:titelist-small: Vokey Wedges

Clevland Huntington Beach 1 Putter

The tread pattern has me me intrigued. 

To say the least, the amount of hills I walk up and down,  I'd be worried about slipping where the toe box flexes.

They look great!

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

23 hours ago, Rob Person said:

The tread pattern has me me intrigued. 

To say the least, the amount of hills I walk up and down,  I'd be worried about slipping where the toe box flexes.

They look great!

Thanks Rob, I'm very curious too. I will likely golf Thurs or Fri and will update! Cheers 

Callaway Rouge Max LS

On 4/16/2024 at 8:47 PM, FromRightToLeft said:

Well we just got snow today so it looks like the update will be a week later....

Lovely Alberta weather lol

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Just now, GolfSpy_APH said:

Lovely Alberta weather lol

You know it. I was supposed to go Wednesday but it's going to be four degrees and rain...lol

Callaway Rouge Max LS

1 minute ago, FromRightToLeft said:

You know it. I was supposed to go Wednesday but it's going to be four degrees and rain...lol

If it makes you feel any better it has been the same here in Europe, altho apparently we have officially turned the corner into spring here. Had a weird cold week last week with a ton of rain that truly sucked.

What was the main reason you went with these over other options that were avialble to you?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

1 hour ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

If it makes you feel any better it has been the same here in Europe, altho apparently we have officially turned the corner into spring here. Had a weird cold week last week with a ton of rain that truly sucked.

What was the main reason you went with these over other options that were avialble to you?

Ah well hopefully Spring is there now, hopefully we get it too soon.

The main reason was I wanted to go spikeless but still wanted some serious stability and grip. These looked to fit the bill and so far so good.

Callaway Rouge Max LS

I just grabbed a pair of Footjoy Pro/SL on a big discount at PGA Superstore. Replaced my True Lux Hybrids with them. Found them to be really nice to walk in and look great with both pants and shorts. Still want to get a nice pair of Traditions with spikes but that can wait

Thanks for the update! I can see where they hard floors would be an issue, considering the amount of flat real estate on the soles .  It was also good to read that they held traction well on slopes.

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

3 hours ago, Au_funk93 said:

I just grabbed a pair of Footjoy Pro/SL on a big discount at PGA Superstore. Replaced my True Lux Hybrids with them. Found them to be really nice to walk in and look great with both pants and shorts. Still want to get a nice pair of Traditions with spikes but that can wait

Awesome, thanks for chiming in!

1 hour ago, Rob Person said:

Thanks for the update! I can see where they hard floors would be an issue, considering the amount of flat real estate on the soles .  It was also good to read that they held traction well on slopes.

Yes they were great Rob, I'm curious how they do in wet weather. 

Callaway Rouge Max LS