2022 Cobra Forged Tec Irons

aph_cb

Since I have had these irons for a year or so, and they are reaching the end of their life cycle, I figured I'd share my experience for those that may be interested in getting them once the price drops. I am around 10-12 handicap and I am a decent ball striker, so my experience may be different from others, but I'll do my best to give an objective review. 

First I'll begin with the looks. The top line definitely isn't thin by any means, but I feel that it is the perfect thickness to inspire confidence in both your ability to work the ball and feel like they'll give you a bit of a break if you don't make perfect contact. The chrome finish on the back with the satin face is a combo I always like, but some people may not love seeing the difference when looking down at the club from the top. Overall, the looks are pretty standard for a players distance iron and won't differ much from something like a P790 other than the finish.

Now onto performance and feel. In my opinion, they feel great. They are responsive enough to let you know where you hit it on the face when you mishit it, but not so unforgiving that you need to take a moment to let your hands recover when you hit one thin. When you hit it out of the center, they feel like butter. Obviously you don't get the same feeling as a Mizuno player's iron, but for a hollow iron I think it's just about the best you can get. The irons are definitely on the strong size loft-wise, but when comparing them to my Titleist 714 CBs, the tradeoff in spin rate for distance wasn't as big as I was expecting. I have the luxury of being able to use Trackman at work, and when comparing both 7 irons, I only had a spin drop-off of 800ish RPM. Others may have a different experience, but for me I haven't had any issue holding greens because they still allow you to launch the ball high enough to deal with the difference in spin rate. Despite being a player's distance iron, they remain pretty workable. I'm able to hit the shot shape that the angle requires without any major issues. The only problem I have had with them is their forgiveness, but not in the way that most would expect. The issue I had is that they were actually TOO forgiving on some mishits where other irons would be offline with a significant distance drop-off, some mishits would be offline but maintain 85-90% of my normal carry distance, so it would end up taking me out of play. That falls on me though, so in the forgiveness category they get an A for me.

Overall, these irons are an extremely solid option for a mid handicapper or low handicap where they have hit the age where they may be looking for a little more distance. They aren't anything life changing in the player's-distance category, but they do everything you'd expect them to do exceptionally well. 

Spoiler

What's in my Sunday Golf Bag

:titleist-small: TSi 3 10* TPT 15 Series X-stiff

:callaway-small: GBB Epic 3w 15* Fujikura Pro 72 Stiff Flex

:titleist-small:TS3 3hyb Hzrdus Smoke Black 80 Stiff Flex

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec 4-PW Modus 3 Tour 120s

:titleist-small: Vokey SM8 Tour Chrome 52-08

:taylormade-small: Milled Grind Raw 56-12

:taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 Black 60

:bettinardi-1: 2016 BB1 w/ stability 

1 hour ago, aph_cb said:

Since I have had these irons for a year or so, and they are reaching the end of their life cycle, I figured I'd share my experience for those that may be interested in getting them once the price drops. I am around 10-12 handicap and I am a decent ball striker, so my experience may be different from others, but I'll do my best to give an objective review. 

First I'll begin with the looks. The top line definitely isn't thin by any means, but I feel that it is the perfect thickness to inspire confidence in both your ability to work the ball and feel like they'll give you a bit of a break if you don't make perfect contact. The chrome finish on the back with the satin face is a combo I always like, but some people may not love seeing the difference when looking down at the club from the top. Overall, the looks are pretty standard for a players distance iron and won't differ much from something like a P790 other than the finish.

Now onto performance and feel. In my opinion, they feel great. They are responsive enough to let you know where you hit it on the face when you mishit it, but not so unforgiving that you need to take a moment to let your hands recover when you hit one thin. When you hit it out of the center, they feel like butter. Obviously you don't get the same feeling as a Mizuno player's iron, but for a hollow iron I think it's just about the best you can get. The irons are definitely on the strong size loft-wise, but when comparing them to my Titleist 714 CBs, the tradeoff in spin rate for distance wasn't as big as I was expecting. I have the luxury of being able to use Trackman at work, and when comparing both 7 irons, I only had a spin drop-off of 800ish RPM. Others may have a different experience, but for me I haven't had any issue holding greens because they still allow you to launch the ball high enough to deal with the difference in spin rate. Despite being a player's distance iron, they remain pretty workable. I'm able to hit the shot shape that the angle requires without any major issues. The only problem I have had with them is their forgiveness, but not in the way that most would expect. The issue I had is that they were actually TOO forgiving on some mishits where other irons would be offline with a significant distance drop-off, some mishits would be offline but maintain 85-90% of my normal carry distance, so it would end up taking me out of play. That falls on me though, so in the forgiveness category they get an A for me.

Overall, these irons are an extremely solid option for a mid handicapper or low handicap where they have hit the age where they may be looking for a little more distance. They aren't anything life changing in the player's-distance category, but they do everything you'd expect them to do exceptionally well. 

Are you considering new irons? 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Are you considering new irons? 

Not yet, but I may be looking to get a set of t150s later down the line. I have other upgrades to take care of first haha

Edited by aph_cb
Spoiler

If we're taking about the Cobra Forged Tecs......

Last season did my own tests of several different GI irons, and also the Forged Tec X .. one of my earlier tests. 

As a higher handicapper I had it in my head that I needed a true GI iron, vs these are categorized closer to PD (MPF scale), but I loved the look the feel the sound off the face the feedback they give the ball flight I got...

Heck maybe I will pick up a set when they go on sale! 😄

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
3H...Cobra King Tec (MMT 70/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

41 minutes ago, cksurfdude said:

If we're taking about the Cobra Forged Tecs......

Last season did my own tests of several different GI irons, and also the Forged Tec X .. one of my earlier tests. 

As a higher handicapper I had it in my head that I needed a true GI iron, vs these are categorized closer to PD (MPF scale), but I loved the look the feel the sound off the face the feedback they give the ball flight I got...

Heck maybe I will pick up a set when they go on sale! 😄

Nice! I hit those when I was getting fit just for kicks and I thought the Forged Tec X felt good too, but they were just so strong lofted. I was getting up to mid 1.4s on smash factor and such little spin that they were thrown out as an option pretty quickly. Definitely good for players who really need GI irons though. 

Spoiler

May I aask why they are at the end of their life cycle?

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

6 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

May I aask why they are at the end of their life cycle?

I just mean their cycle being sold new from Cobra since their irons usually get replaced on a two year cycle 

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, aph_cb said:

I just mean their cycle being sold new from Cobra since their irons usually get replaced on a two year cycle 

It will be interesting because right now marks Cobra and 2 years of those being current. Would love to hear or see if they are coming up with something but at least right now I haven't seen or heard anything.

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I tested these out when they first came out and loved the feel but since i was new/back to golf i ended up settling on the LTDx irons just for the extra help. Man do I wish i just got the forged tec instead. Dont get me wrong the LTDx are fantastic irons from feel to distance to help bringing down those misses. BUT now im finding that im pulling clubs out just die to the fact i dont need the wider sole in most circumstances.(most specifically my wedges). I should have gotten the slightly less handicap friendly clubs and gotten used to hitting them than to settle for the easier to hit at purchase time.

Been playing for about 2 years in total. Winter breaks and a 6month period when I got sick. Starting to feel like myself again and recently played a “okay” round. 
I currently have custom fit Cobra LTDx irons/wedges, a Vokey 60(cause my short game has been the best part of my game, and a Maverick 9 deg. Driver. Driving is the worst part of my game so My 4 iron usually takes alot of the long game abuse. 

3 hours ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

It will be interesting because right now marks Cobra and 2 years of those being current. Would love to hear or see if they are coming up with something but at least right now I haven't seen or heard anything.

Yeah I’m excited to see if they’ll bring anything new out. I loved the look of all the new irons they brought out last year.

Spoiler