53 minutes ago, leichliter_jake said:

I'm looking to get wedges used/new. I am a mid handicapper looking for suggestions and any insight what to get. Are used wedges worth it or should i buy new?

There are a laundry list of great wedges to go with. I would avoid the used list because wedges that are well worn do not perform. 

When it comes to new wedges the main companies will all have solid if not spectacular options (Vokey, PING, Callaway, Mizuno and more). Then there are DTC brands that will offer great value and solid wedges. If you are looking at those options check out these brands. 

Toura Wedges
Sub 70
Edel
Edison
Takomo
Indi

Hope this helps out! Also... before you go further I would check out some of the online fit sections for companies such as PING and Vokey that you can go through a little questionnaire that will help narrow what grind and even lofts you should be using. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I was a huge Ping wedge fan (and in many cases still am).  They are all I played for almost 15-20 years.  However, I can honestly say that the Edison wedges have been a real game changer for me.  I purchased a set of three (50, 55 and 60 degrees) and they made an immediate and profound improvement in my wedge game.  Their higher center of gravity, patented sole and other features make them the perfect wedge for mid-handicap players who need a solid wedge game.  I've had them for about three years and close to 400 rounds and rely on them more than any club.  They are a bit more expensive, but I know they do sell returns (they have a very liberal tryout policy) that they sell at a discount.

The only thing that will pry my Edison wedges out of my bag are Edison 2 wedges!

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

All 3 of my wedges are Mizuno. I love them. I have 2 S22 and one S23 wedge. I bought them on ebay. They were marked used, but you couldn't even tell they were used. My guess is that they were demo or something. Previous year mizuno wedges can be found from 140 to 160 still new. However, I paid around 100 each for these. My 58 degree was only 85 bucks and it happened to be the blue ion version. There are plenty of deals to be had out there. 

Driver - Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 9 degree @ 44.5"

3 wood - Cobra LTDx max 

5 wood - Cobra LTDx

Taylormade P770 4-PW

Mizuno S22 wedges - 50, 54 and 58

Putter - Odyssey white hot OG 1

I notice than since it became fashionable (a long time ago now) to build irons with such strong lofts, people don't even call their matching pitching wedge a "wedge" anymore. 

Haile mentions "all three wedges" while listing four, and it's not even noticeable unless you're old enough to remember when the matching wedge was 50 or 52°, and everybody called it a "wedge."

in flux

New is always going to be preferable just due to groove wear like the others mentioned. 

I'm a 14hdcp and no one can pry the CBX wedges from Cleveland out of my hands. They're just too forgiving. Can I open them wide up for a flop shot? Heck no. But I can use them for all sorts of various shots around the greens with great success. I love 'em. 

In my Big Max hybrid bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:wilson_staff_small: D200 6i-GW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:maxfli: Tour S

Handicap isn’t really a factor in buying any club because two people with the same handicap probably get to that number in different ways and have different swings.

Find a shape you like, use the brands fitting tool to get an idea of what will work for you. Try to find a place to test different wedges including different bounce and grinds.

Determine best shaft for your swing and then buy the wedges with the shafts that work for you.

Do a wedge fitting if possible 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

On 5/17/2024 at 11:25 PM, leichliter_jake said:

I'm looking to get wedges used/new. I am a mid handicapper looking for suggestions and any insight what to get. Are used wedges worth it or should i buy new?

Wedges are often the newest clubs in most bags because people want fresh grooves, especially after the USGA unnecessarily screwed around with the grooves rule fifteen years ago.

If you're not too fussy about rules, though, you can save a lot of money by buying good used wedges.

Just gouge out the grooves with a sharp tool, and while they may no longer conform, they will mangle some ball covers for you and give you decent spin.

Watch for bounce, though.  If you have a sweeping swing and don't take real divots,
too much bounce can be a problem from the fairway.  Rough and bunker play will be OK.

in flux

On 5/17/2024 at 11:25 PM, leichliter_jake said:

@leichliter_jake. Welcome to the forum. As you've discovered there are many opinions to solve your complex question. Glad to have you aboard. Good luck in this quest.

D- Ping G 400 SFT

16*- Adams Tight Lie

19*- Adams Tight Lie

4H- Ping G 400

5-U- Ping G 400

SW- Nike

56*- Ping Glide 2

P- Sub70 004 Mallet