Penalty or Drop 1?

So what do people do when you hit off the tee and it’s just into the rough and you saw it and know it should be next to an area by a tree or wherever but you can’t find it.  Now for tournament players they have spotters and such so this is a non issue.  I’m not talking high grass just regular rough in an area it should be easy to find.  We have been just dropping one as long as it’ not near o.b or a hazard where it could have gone.

What do most people here do with this scenario?

Driver: Titleist Tsi 3

3 Wood : Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead 3

Hybrid : Hogan Edge CFT Hybrid 3

Irons : Hogan Apex ftx 3 iron

Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4i-GW

Wedge : Taylor Made 56 degree

Vokey Sm8 60 degree s grind

Putter: Evnroll ev11

2 minutes ago, rhaze91 said:

So what do people do when you hit off the tee and it’s just into the rough and you saw it and know it should be next to an area by a tree or wherever but you can’t find it.  Now for tournament players they have spotters and such so this is a non issue.  I’m not talking high grass just regular rough in an area it should be easy to find.  We have been just dropping one as long as it’ not near o.b or a hazard where it could have gone.

Follow the new model local rule so I don't have to go back to the tee to hit another shot.  Essentially stroke and distance for lost ball:  https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/rules-modernization/major-changes/golfs-new-rules-stroke-and-distance.html

Also, not all tournament players have spotters. The volunteer spotters are primarily for PGA and LPGA events and most tournaments don't have anyone. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

In men's league I'd go back and hit again.  Any other round I probably just take net double and move on.  Depends on the money game we have going on with the other guys in the group.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

1 hour ago, rhaze91 said:

In a round where handicaps are being kept or competition then it’s back to the tee, but if it’s a course known to eat balls then play a provisional.

If it’s a round where I’m just out hitting balls and may drop a couple balls to play different shots or play a couple off the tee then I’m just dropping.

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Follow the new model local rule so I don't have to go back to the tee to hit another shot.  Essentially stroke and distance for lost ball:  https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/rules-modernization/major-changes/golfs-new-rules-stroke-and-distance.html

Also, not all tournament players have spotters. The volunteer spotters are primarily for PGA and LPGA events and most tournaments don't have anyone. 

Do you state the mlr is in use before your round? 

5 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Do you state the mlr is in use before your round? 

My regular group has blanketly stated that we follow the MLR's to avoid having to go back to the tee.   

It is also written into the rules for my golf league.   

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

The way my friends and I play even when we have randoms we will either choose retee of agree on a no penalty drop in an agreed location. If it’s a par 3 then usually we retee and if it’s a 4 or 5 then usually an agreed drop just to keep pace of play up and keep things moving. We’re not out here in a competition so for us it’s not a point of contention. 

Been playing for about 2 years in total. Winter breaks and a 6month period when I got sick. Starting to feel like myself again and recently played a “okay” round. 
I currently have custom fit Cobra LTDx irons/wedges, a Vokey 60(cause my short game has been the best part of my game, and a Maverick 9 deg. Driver. Driving is the worst part of my game so My 4 iron usually takes alot of the long game abuse. 

3 hours ago, PrismFlopper said:

The way my friends and I play even when we have randoms we will either choose retee of agree on a no penalty drop in an agreed location. If it’s a par 3 then usually we retee and if it’s a 4 or 5 then usually an agreed drop just to keep pace of play up and keep things moving. We’re not out here in a competition so for us it’s not a point of contention. 

Why not just say mlr e-5 is in use for the round