Vokey Wedge Fit App - 2024 Forum Review

34 minutes ago, yungkory said:

Taking them to the practice area likely tomorrow or Friday. Driver fitting on Saturday. Playing Sunday! Here's something to hold you over 😎

IMG_6405.jpeg.7d31cee78c5cd335dc2c63eaed6221f2.jpeg

Very nice! If only they could stay like that. I went with black but almost went with nickel. I don't like rusty clubs. Lol

Mixed bag of goodies: Taylormade M2 driver, Titleist F15 3 wood, Nike 5 wood, Mizuno 923 Hmp irons, Cleveland zipcore wedges and Odyssey 3 ball putter.

I'm off to my wedge fitting in 30 minutes. Hopefully it goes as well as everyone else's have. 🙂

Driver: :mizuno-small: STMax 230 10.5*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Fairways: :Sub70: 949x 3w / 5w, 15* / 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Hybrids: :Sub70: 939x 4h, 21*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 80g Hybrid
Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: S23, 54* & 60*, UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter:
Maltby_Logo.jpg.7f7f2f102dcb7b289e419805910e4aab.jpg Moment X Tour @ 35" & 71*, Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, White/Red
Ball: :maxfli: Tour CG
Technology:
VortexGolf_Logo.jpg.2ad1215c7b1aa2ccf8d062a73bc72142.jpg Anarch Rangefinder, :ShotScope: V5 w/ Tags Shot Tracking.

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/65161-vortex-optics-rangefinders-2024-member-test/?do=findComment&comment=1089247
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/66852-unofficial-review-tpi-virtual-assessment
https://forum.mygolfspy.com/classifieds/ - DON'T FORGET ABOUT THE CLASSIFIEDS!!!

On 7/25/2024 at 6:55 AM, Shrek74 said:

I've heard the latest version of the finish holds up better than those previous versions. I haven't seen pics of SM10's in black with lots of use yet, so I can't confirm that.

My SM10 50 degree wear is similar. As the finish is applied post-forging or casting it will always wear. I'd like to see a test on spin rate differences between the different finishes.

-XY

:redrooster: Sussex and Rain Rooster
:titleist-small: ProV1X
:taylormade-small: QI10 LS
:callaway-small: Epic Flash 3-wood
:taylormade-small: 4H Stealth 2, stiff
:ping-small: i525, 6 - W, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
:vokey-small: SM10 52, 56, 60
:L.A.B.: DF3 Broomstick
:ping-small: Ping Pioneer Cart Bag
MGI electric cart

9 hours ago, Bad Golfer said:

Very nice! If only they could stay like that. I went with black but almost went with nickel. I don't like rusty clubs. Lol

8 hours ago, GolferXY said:

My SM10 50 degree wear is similar. As the finish is applied post-forging or casting it will always wear. I'd like to see a test on spin rate differences between the different finishes.

It's very likely that we all take better care of our clubs than the Titleist demo bag clubs are treated, but seeing the black in person all battered and beat made me not consider it. Nickel was kind of similar just to a lesser degree.

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 Ventus TR Black 5 S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :vokey-small: 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: :L.A.B.: DF3 x Accra

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

5 hours ago, yungkory said:

It's very likely that we all take better care of our clubs than the Titleist demo bag clubs are treated, but seeing the black in person all battered and beat made me not consider it. Nickel was kind of similar just to a lesser degree.

The Black wedges the fitter had almost a flat black to a dull gray look to them. It was actually kinda like the nickel only a little bit darker. I'm cool with that.

Mixed bag of goodies: Taylormade M2 driver, Titleist F15 3 wood, Nike 5 wood, Mizuno 923 Hmp irons, Cleveland zipcore wedges and Odyssey 3 ball putter.

11 hours ago, yungkory said:

I had the same impression, and also recall the look of the nickel in a couple of friend's bags. New, both look awesome, but the wear did not do it for me. I went with standard chromed.

Moose, my cat, is Siamese

Once I get the clubs and get them out on the course I will definitely keep you guys posted on how good or bad the black finish holds up on the clubs. I certainly won't hit one off of a cart path but will run them through the sand and anywhere else I might need to use them. The sand at my local course is very firm and course and not real deep. Sometimes small stones fly up on the green that need picked off before you put. It is kinda of annoying actually. I believe that will definitely be a true test of the black finishes durability. 

Still waiting for an official shipping date (current estimation is 16 Sept) and eyeing the weather. Fingers crossed I’ll get a month outside with them! 

Titleist TSR1, Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 3-4-5 hybrids, TaylorMade Qi10 irons 6i-P, Cleveland RTX wedges 54 and 58, SeeMore OG FSG blade, yet helpless without my ShotScope V5.

29 minutes ago, ClevelandGirl said:

Still waiting for an official shipping date (current estimation is 16 Sept) and eyeing the weather. Fingers crossed I’ll get a month outside with them! 

Same! But at least there's no an estimated date. Last week that spot was blank.

A really short practice session (it was just too hot to stay out in the sun on Friday) and one round under the belt! Performance summary coming soon but for now, check my "main" post for an update on the fitting process and my initial unboxing pics

Edited by yungkory

Driver: :titleist-small: GT3 Ventus TR Black 5 S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :vokey-small: 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: :L.A.B.: DF3 x Accra

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B X

I updated the my first post and introduction with the  Vokey Wedge App and fitting. More to come once the wedges arrive.

Hopefully I’m doing this right - a link to my review of the app, which is far too long but blame my creative writing teacher, the amazing Mrs. Elzey, may she rest in peace. 

Updated shipping date is now 18 Sept but I will add more pretty pictures once I have better subjects, and of course will report in with on course data, assuming the wedges get here before Lake Erie sends her winter love.

Edited by ClevelandGirl

Titleist TSR1, Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 3-4-5 hybrids, TaylorMade Qi10 irons 6i-P, Cleveland RTX wedges 54 and 58, SeeMore OG FSG blade, yet helpless without my ShotScope V5.

My incomplete (until the clubs actually arrive) review is up on the first page. Spoiler: this app is not intended to replace professional fitters, or even be used by them. You'll have to read my review to learn why.

Can someone help me out a bit? I included a video, but it's not showing properly. If you click on it it just wants you to download the file. I want it to play. What do I need to change?

2 hours ago, Siamese Moose said:

My incomplete (until the clubs actually arrive) review is up on the first page. Spoiler: this app is not intended to replace professional fitters, or even be used by them. You'll have to read my review to learn why.

Can someone help me out a bit? I included a video, but it's not showing properly. If you click on it it just wants you to download the file. I want it to play. What do I need to change?

For the video. You are better off uploading the video to YouTube and then linking it here. It will embed the video rather than requiring a download that way. 

Driver: Titleist GT3 w/ GD Tour AD VF 6S (Testing in progress)
3 & 5 Woods: Titleist GT3 w/ GD Tour AD VF 7S (Testing in progress)
Hybrids: 19 and 22 degree PXG 0317XF Gen 4 w/ Project X Evenflow Riptide 80g
Irons: 5-PW PXG 0311P Gen 4 w/ KBS Tour 120
Wedges: Indi 50 FLX, 54 FLX, 58 ATK w/ KBS Wedge 610 (Official Review)
Putter: PXG Battle Ready Blackjack, 36.5”, Double Bend neck

Titleist GT Long Game Testing

23 hours ago, Siamese Moose said:

It’s kinda curious why the wedge selector tool is front and center of their website. There’s not a lot of explanation about it and (as I’m such a huge fan of club fitting) there’s not a “buy it all now” button. Right next to it is a “get fit” button too. As a consumer, I might be scratching my head - which is it? 

14 hours ago, ClevelandGirl said:

It’s kinda curious why the wedge selector tool is front and center of their website. There’s not a lot of explanation about it and (as I’m such a huge fan of club fitting) there’s not a “buy it all now” button. Right next to it is a “get fit” button too. As a consumer, I might be scratching my head - which is it? 

I know that fittings are highly encouraged but I think for the new Golfer  who doesn't know any better or someone who only plays a few times a year really isn't worried about being fit or maybe doesn't want to spend the extra money to get fit even though it is usually credited back anyway. 

In those cases I think the wedge selector app works great if you properly enter the right answers to the questions.

I play with a guy I used to work with that retired and he is right around scratch for a handicap and he has never been fitted in his whole life. I asked him about it and he said he thinks it is a waste of time. Lol

2 hours ago, Bad Golfer said:

I know that fittings are highly encouraged but I think for the new Golfer  who doesn't know any better or someone who only plays a few times a year really isn't worried about being fit or maybe doesn't want to spend the extra money to get fit even though it is usually credited back anyway. 

In those cases I think the wedge selector app works great if you properly enter the right answers to the questions.

I play with a guy I used to work with that retired and he is right around scratch for a handicap and he has never been fitted in his whole life. I asked him about it and he said he thinks it is a waste of time. Lol

Well it worked for you guys anyway, it sure didn’t work for me! 🤣

I know one guy who refuses to get fit because that removes his excuses that it’s the clubs not him!

However that’s off topic. If we as experienced golfers filled out the form incorrectly or misunderstood the course conditions, then how can a new golfer be expected to fill it out correctly?

Honest question there, so please don’t misread the tone. These are just random thoughts I’m throwing to the ether, not an argument @Bad Golfer, or being deliberately obtuse. Seriously this has been bugging me for weeks. I’m a skeptic but I do want this app to work because it’s nifty, but as a group we’ve definitely shown its weaknesses. 

3 hours ago, Bad Golfer said:

I just got the notification that my clubs are on the way!

So cool! I’m still stuck on 18 Sept! Gah! 

1 hour ago, ClevelandGirl said:

Well it worked for you guys anyway, it sure didn’t work for me! 🤣

I know one guy who refuses to get fit because that removes his excuses that it’s the clubs not him!

However that’s off topic. If we as experienced golfers filled out the form incorrectly or misunderstood the course conditions, then how can a new golfer be expected to fill it out correctly?

Honest question there, so please don’t misread the tone. These are just random thoughts I’m throwing to the ether, not an argument @Bad Golfer, or being deliberately obtuse. Seriously this has been bugging me for weeks. I’m a skeptic but I do want this app to work because it’s nifty, but as a group we’ve definitely shown its weaknesses. 

So cool! I’m still stuck on 18 Sept! Gah! 

No offense taken @ClevelandGirl.

You bring up many good points. I just went through the app a few more times and while the first 2 clubs line up with what I originally came up with on my own before the fitting and additional information from my fitter I can't get the 58 degree wedge to line up at all. I do know on the email I got from my Fitter Michael the club that he fit me into was a 52% match. I'm not sure what club is my 48% match as I can't find that info but I'm assuming it is the wedge that comes up on the app now.

I also noticed that in the notes from the fitting it has my swing as shallow for all of the shots I hit and there is no place in the Vokey wedge App to enter that information that I can see. I'm going to assume that is the reason that I can't get the last club to line up. I believe when the fitter enters the additional info into the app such as swing type that could possibly have a huge impact on the selected clubs.

I think this is the situation that is effecting the 58 degree wedge variant from the app to the fitting. The app wants to put me into a 58.10 S grind. This is a screen shot from the Vokey wedge website on the S grind.

Screenshot_20240912_100344_Chrome.jpg.5b92e0dcb33617c26e9b6d21e3348c6e.jpg

The fitter put me into a 58.08 M grind and this is the info on the M grind.

Screenshot_20240912_100353_Chrome.jpg.723e57396843edf8763e93e08d343597.jpg

So in hindsight the additional information that the fitter can put into the Vokey app after seeing your swing and how you approach each shot can and probably will affect the result of the wedge your fitted into.

3 hours ago, Bad Golfer said:

No offense taken @ClevelandGirl.

You bring up many good points. I just went through the app a few more times and while the first 2 clubs line up with what I originally came up with on my own before the fitting and additional information from my fitter I can't get the 58 degree wedge to line up at all. I do know on the email I got from my Fitter Michael the club that he fit me into was a 52% match. I'm not sure what club is my 48% match as I can't find that info but I'm assuming it is the wedge that comes up on the app now.

I also noticed that in the notes from the fitting it has my swing as shallow for all of the shots I hit and there is no place in the Vokey wedge App to enter that information that I can see. I'm going to assume that is the reason that I can't get the last club to line up. I believe when the fitter enters the additional info into the app such as swing type that could possibly have a huge impact on the selected clubs.

I think this is the situation that is effecting the 58 degree wedge variant from the app to the fitting. The app wants to put me into a 58.10 S grind. This is a screen shot from the Vokey wedge website on the S grind.

Screenshot_20240912_100344_Chrome.jpg.5b92e0dcb33617c26e9b6d21e3348c6e.jpg

The fitter put me into a 58.08 M grind and this is the info on the M grind.

Screenshot_20240912_100353_Chrome.jpg.723e57396843edf8763e93e08d343597.jpg

So in hindsight the additional information that the fitter can put into the Vokey app after seeing your swing and how you approach each shot can and probably will affect the result of the wedge your fitted into.

I suspect the Titleist fitters have a more robust version than consumers see, and of course with the Trackman data, it’ll be far more accurate after the baseline results. I have a better grasp of it after what @Siamese Moose pointed out but maybe I’m just being dense. Can’t find any cartners for this weekend so maybe I’m just dull 😁

Your Titleist Golf Clubs Order Has Been Shipped.

Woo hoo! I'm actually very relieved to see this. My season effectively ends on the 25th (travel), and if the original ship date of the 18th had held, I would have had one range session and no play to finish my review.

Nice! My shipping date is still 18 Sept on the order status page so let the refreshing of my inbox begin!

*refresh

Dangit!

*refresh

Shoot!

21 hours ago, ClevelandGirl said:

Nice! My shipping date is still 18 Sept on the order status page so let the refreshing of my inbox begin!

*refresh

Dangit!

*refresh

Shoot!

*refresh

Arriving Saturday! 

*five minute dance party

SCHEDULED DELIVERY DATE

Today By end of day

DELIVERY STATUS

Out for delivery

Woot, a day early! With my tight schedule to finish my review (less than one week available to me), it looks like I'm heading to the range tomorrow, playing Friday.

It's Christmas in September!PXL_20240918_161236602.jpg.efe925916fcdcd3d3cb5e9ca54fa4229.jpg

I tried to get a good unboxing picture, but I have cats, and it's a box. (After pulling the clubs out, the box was claimed for a while before I could put it in recycling.)PXL_20240918_161404735.jpg.c72e5ef083f98228ac3434c67c4fd3f9.jpgPXL_20240918_162022765.jpg.8cdbd7f45f655e8a70366f2ce17f7fdc.jpg

I know that this review is focused on the app, and not the clubs themselves, but I'm a bit of a club nerd, so anything I get gets run through the full spec evaluation. (Since this is not really a part of the review, I'm putting this info here instead of the official review post.) I don't know if Titleist has different specs for graphite shafted clubs (most manufacturers do, but there's nothing about it on Titleists' website), but these slightly longer lengths and higher swingweights are typical of how graphite shafted clubs come. The standard lie for all of them is 64°, but I ordered them 1° flat. I don't know what the frequency spec is, but I measured it for the fun of it. I don't have a bounce gauge, so I can't check that.WedgeSpecs.jpg.a5590deb0af0f81ed86d694ef04893df.jpgPXL_20240918_162338987.jpg.bd3a7278cb8f586e700c75e67d75dc41.jpgPXL_20240918_162527824.jpg.b5a95d5662d923226beb2c27d5b629f5.jpgPXL_20240918_163042626.jpg.630c29dd6ac3d57b326407b4726e3995.jpgPXL_20240918_163115344.jpg.b98da2feddd3dcacd2fdf65460e22659.jpg

Tomorrow I'll go to the range. I'll use TopTracer there to find out the distances (that will be off mats so I can use the monitor), then off to the grass to test the grinds. I'll also pitch some around the practice green. Friday morning they get tested on the course. Stay tuned!

Edited by Siamese Moose
spelling