#1 Moecat

Moecat

AGENT NAME: PLANO

• Members

• 2,075 posts
  • LocationOrange County, CA

Posted 10 February 2012 - 04:06 PM

http://www.golfdiges...f-clubs-wi.html

ORLANDO, Fla. -- When Boccieri Golf developed its Secret Grip it did so principally to provide golfers an easier way to back weight a club. What it discovered, company president and CEO Stephen Boccieri said, was that it actually improved performance.

Posted Image

"From a performance standpoint, I never thought there could be a grip that would enhance the capabilities of a golfer," Boccieri said. "What we found was that players were picking up four miles an hour on ball speed by using this grip."

The Secret Grip was officially introduced at the PGA Merchandise Show here and is the latest offering from the company that has the Heavy Putter in its line of clubs.

The grip weighs in at 92 grams, 40 grams more than a traditional grip. A tungsten button on the butt end of the grip accounts for the additional weight.

"We have a full line of back-weighted golf clubs," Boccieri said. "What a lot of customers said to me last year is that they like the driver, they like the irons, but if they buy any one of my components they have to buy a complete set. The economy is saying I don't want to spend $300."

The grips, which will retail for $18.99, can be installed on any brand of club.

Back-weighting clubs is not knew. Jack Nicklaus back-weighted clubs, as do a number of tour players. The process of back-weighting clubs has been somewhat cumbersome, requiring drilling through the end of the grip. The Secret Grip accomplishes the same thing simply by changing the grip.

"None of the average golfers know anything about back-weighting," Boccieri said. "Jack Nicklaus used it in his day and people throughout the tour do it, but it's kind of behind closed doors, basically. We think the Secret Grip is going to enhance the back-weighting technology that Boccieri Golf has developed with its putters and now its swing clubs."

What is Boccieri's theory as to why the Secret Grip increases ball speed?

"At the top of the swing, when you have more mass in your hands, you have a better transition with that momentary pause at the top," he said. "The first move that the average golfer makes with a high swing weight, they cast from the top. With more mass in the left hand, like everybody says, it's like dropping into the slot. So what's happening is they're creating more lag and holding onto the angle of retention longer into impact."

-- John Strege
Posted Image

#2 GolfSpy WD

GolfSpy WD

AGENT NAME: FT.WORTH

• Members

• 4,238 posts
  • LocationLobstah

Posted 10 February 2012 - 05:22 PM

Wouldn't you also lose all feeling of the club head with the considerable drop in SW? I could see really really good players getting away with this, but not most... With those grips at $19 a pop, I can't say I'm tempted in the slightest to try.

#3 Shambles

Shambles

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:44 AM

Wouldn't you also lose all feeling of the club head with the considerable drop in SW? I could see really really good players getting away with this, but not most... With those grips at $19 a pop, I can't say I'm tempted in the slightest to try.

You don't have to be all that good, just looking for a different feel without spending a lot of money. Back weighting in simple, moves the center of gravity of your club a bit closer towards the grip end and therefore imparts a feeling of a stiffer shaft and can also make a shaft feel more stable simply because you are swinging it around a slightly higher center of gravity. The weights needed will likely be anywhere from 10 grams or greater if you install them at the butt end and much more if you install them deeper in the shaft. In all cases swing weight is affected but to me that is not all that important as long as you can feel the club head throughout your swing. That's just a comfort thing. The shaft does not in itself change but your feel of the club will change and it's then just a matter of whether you like or don't like the result.

I experimented with this for some time and found success by epoxying 15 grams of lead in the butt end of my shafts. I was trying to save a badly cut set of shafts but, having done what I could with back weighting, I finally decided to discard the shafts and replace them.

Shambles

#4 BIG STU

BIG STU

GRANDMASTER SPY

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,489 posts
  • LocationGarden City Beach SC
  • Handicap:5

Posted 12 February 2012 - 01:46 AM

If you are a "feel" player like I am you are absolutely correct. If you want to butt weight a club the old school/ Nicklaus way you can shoot the grip off with air or a needle and weigh some lead tape and stick it on the inside of the shaft at the butt end and wola!! Even if you cant save the grip it still is cheaper than $19 a grip
WITB Modern Sticks Driver Hathaway V4 9.5* Creation Tour only Shaft 3 Wood Cally Steelhead 13* UST Pro Force Gold stiff 7 Wood TM V Steel 21* UST Pro Force Gold 65 Stiff Irons 4 thru PW Infiniti TS-10 Forged FST 90 stiff Wedge 56* Srixon WG-504 S300 stiff Wedge 60* Scratch JLM/EGG S300 stiff Putter Ping Zing2 Stainless Bag Titleist mini staff or Cleveland Tour Stand Optional clubs Infiniti 26* Hot Shot hybrid UST Pro Force 65 Ping Anser 2 Stainless WITB Vintage Driver Toney Penna Model 59 persimmon Aldila HM-55 X flex 4 Wood H&B Persimmon S300 1 Iron MacGregor Tourney custom 985 TT X-100 rebar stiff Irons 3 thru 9 Macgregor FC4000 Pro Pel2 shafts stiff PW Mac Nicklaus Murfield S-300 SW Mac Dual action (1953 vintage) shaft unknown Putter 1966 vintage Mac IM-5 Bag Mac mini staff 1974 vintage

#5 GolfSpy Tim

GolfSpy Tim

MYGOLFSPY (STAFF)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts
  • LocationFolsom, CA
  • Handicap:14

Posted 12 February 2012 - 07:22 AM

I picked one of these up from the PGA Show last month.

Sadly, I don't have an extra iron to try it on right now....
Follow me on twitter: @GolfSpy_Tim

Or go check out my photography TimHalberg.com
Or my personal instagram Turtlehead
Or my photography instagram TimHalbergPhoto

#6 McGolf

McGolf

JR. FIELD OPERATIVE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 13 February 2012 - 04:55 PM

The question could be where is the "Feel" player actually feeling the weight.

obviously the sw weight of the club creates a weight in the hands, Backing weighting places that weight directly in the hands.

The no feeling comment usually comes when the player is waggling the club not bringing it around.

It was mentioned Nicklaus did it. Wasn't he a feel player?

then a wooden dowel was placed in the butt of the shaft and lead was poured into a drilled out portion. Another way to accompish the same.

Another thought is the grip is less expensive than a balance certified weight

#7 indacup

indacup

SPY ANALYST

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationIowa
  • Handicap:8.3

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:53 PM

Back weighting seems to work well with putters and woods...but our tests have shown none or in some cases detrimental effects in doing it with irons.

If you want to experiment at a very low cost, use 1/2" clevis pins and experiment on your own...

#8 Justin66

Justin66

TOP-SECRET AGENT

• Members

• 884 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:15 AM

You know how else to do this? Get those shaft butt weight ports and some lead powder, fill it up to your desired weight and put whatever grip you want on. Doesn't come close to $19/grip, unless you go crazy with the brand of grip. But again, you at least get EXACTLY what grip you want.

There's never been any proof that counterbalancing works across-the-board. It's just like the swing weight v. MOI matching debate: there's no proof either is "best", it's just swing weighting has been around a LOT longer. But if you choose one and it works for you, then that is your own "best".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Sponsors

Our Sponsors

Latest Status Updates

Recent Status Updates

View All Updates

Recent Topics

Our Sponsors