Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Riding a bicycle with square wheels

I just started playing again in March after a 23 year layoff.  I am playing better for the most part than I hoped.  The swing seemed okay and scores were not terrible.  Handicap is at a 17. Last Tuesday I went to the range and was in the middle of hitting golf balls and it was like I forgot how to swing.  My swing went from riding a bicycle with regular wheels to trying to ride a bicycle with square wheels.  It was the oddest thing.  I could not hit the ball square to save my life. Then on Thursday I went and hit the ball as well as I had since starting.  On the weekend I played in my city's championship in the fourth flight.  I played well shooting a 86/85 for the two days.  I had a quadruple bogie and two triples the first day and three triples and three doubles the second day.  I am having issues with chipping and putting.  Several three putts and one four putt.  So I felt I was close to posting some really good scores.  The problem was during the round I started trying to move right hand in the middle of my back swing.  It felt comfortable at address but very uncomfortable once I got the club to the top and I felt myself rotating my right hand on the club.  It was very disconcerting to say the least. 

My questions are: First, is it regular for the feeling of your swing to disappear and reappear-especially in the beginning of learning golf. Second, why am I trying to move my hand in the middle of my swing?

Driver:  Titleist, TS2 10.5* regular, Tensei AV Series,Blue 55

3 Wood: Cobra 3-4 Wood Stiff shaft

5 Wood: :taylormade-small: S2 21* stiff

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: R7 16* stiff

Irons:    Ping G's 5-PW AWT 2.0 regular flex

AW:       Calloway MD4 50*

SW:      Mizuno 54* Blue Ion, 8* of bounce 

LW:      :titelist-small: 6000S 60*

Putter:  :odyssey-small: Red Ball

Ball:      :titelist-small: AVX

1) absolutely yes.

2) golf is all about feel. What your mind is telling you while swinging can complicate you beyond belief. I like to use the phrase “unconscious competence”...without thinking, you can perform and rely upon what you've ingrained in your own swing.

Your subconscious should have developed some muscle memory to help you find your natural swing. Based upon your scores, you are a consistent golfer who lets the occasional bad swing/shot proliferate your score.

It's easier said than done but don't try to think so much. Just focus on one shot at a time and try to find your feel around the course.

Glad to hear it's coming back naturally for you

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I expect you'll get several replies letting you know that this is normal. And, unfortunately, I'm not convinced it's something only beginners experience.

I posted something about this last week: I was having exactly this kind of experience: suddenly, every shot was a shank or a top. On a short par 4, I hit two topped shots. And then from 140, I hit my third into the hole for a birdie.

Moral of the story: don't try to figure golf out :)

In all seriousness, when this happens during a round, as much as I can, I want to change my focus. Adam Young's book The Practice Manual talks about five different places your focus can be during a swing:

1. Internal: on the movement of a certain body part
  2. Near external: where I'm hitting on the face, or where I'm striking the ground
  3. Far external: on the target
  4. Neutral: on my breathing, or counting or humming
  5. "In the zone"

I think this is really helpful information. As an overly analytical player myself, I tend to fixate on number 1. And when things go bad, I fixate harder on number 1.

A better option for me, and one I'd recommend trying, is that when the wheels fall off (or feel square, in your analogy), change your focus to number 3. Try to think exclusively about the target, and just let your swing be what it is.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Thank you! I will definitely try to get out of my own way and shift my focus to accomplish it.

Driver:  Titleist, TS2 10.5* regular, Tensei AV Series,Blue 55

3 Wood: Cobra 3-4 Wood Stiff shaft

5 Wood: :taylormade-small: S2 21* stiff

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: R7 16* stiff

Irons:    Ping G's 5-PW AWT 2.0 regular flex

AW:       Calloway MD4 50*

SW:      Mizuno 54* Blue Ion, 8* of bounce 

LW:      :titelist-small: 6000S 60*

Putter:  :odyssey-small: Red Ball

Ball:      :titelist-small: AVX

This is normal for all levels of golf.  Last summer had a Friday range session and was hitting everything so far out in the toe the ball was not going anywhere.  Tried everything to fix it and nothing worked.  I was playing the next day and felt the round was going to go really badly.  Shot the best score of the year the next day with a great ball striking day.  Golf is a crazy game.  

Driver - Ping G410 Plus 10.5 - Ping Tour 65 Stiff

4 Wood - Callaway Rogue - Project X Evenflow blue 6.0

Hybrids - Titleist 818 H2 -  3(c-1) and 4(c-4) - Tensei CK Blue 70 stiff

Irons - Callaway Apex  CF 16 5-AW - True Temper XP 95 Steel Stiff

Wedges - Ping Glide 54 SS, 58 TS

Putter - Edel e1 Torque balanced

Indianapolis

5.5 Index

Had to read this thread just for the title. All good suggestions. I'm definitely going to try some of these myself. My trend is, when I attempt to focus on one mechanical thought or feel, is for that to be the only thing I think about. The result is, of course, I do everything else wrong. I definitely need to be more of a 'focus on the target' player. Some of my very best rounds have come when my brain was too preoccupied with something else to think about where my hand/head/chest/knee etc. might be during the swing.

Driver:  :PXG: 311XF Gen5, Tensei CK Pro Orange, S flex

Fariway:  :PXG: 311XF Gen6 3-Wood, Tensei Blue 55g R flex

Hybrid:   :PXG: 211, 3H Project X Evenflow H, 80g, 5.5

:titleist-small: TSR2 4H, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester)

Irons:  :titleist-small: T200 2023, Tensei Blue R (Forum Tester), 5-GW

Wedges:   :cleveland-small: CBX2 Zipcore  52*, 56* Project X Catalyst Spinner Graphite Shaft

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2 Murdered Out

• 1 month later...

It is really amazing how these "golf farts" occur and then dissappear on their own. Was at the driving range on Friday and that GF reared its ugly head and ended up not being able to hit a decent shot at all. Like I forgot how to golf.

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

Archived