Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

GolfSpy MPR: WITB 2023 Edition

27 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

We are locked in a massive cold wave right now: lows at 20° below zero, daytime temps barely getting back to 0°. So while golf is still a long way off, my bag is settled, and I figured it was a good time to snap some pictures for a WITB post. If I'm looking at this correctly, exactly one club remains in my bag from last year's WITB post (though in my defense, only two clubs have changed since the end of last season). Let's start with the big picture:

20210208_123418.jpg

20210208_123750.jpg

In addition to the massive turnover in the bag, the bag itself was replaced for this season. I bought a brand new PING Pioneer cart bag, and she's a beauty!

bag.jpg

Subtle and understated, and with serious Most Wanted credentials. I've not found a thing to complain about so far, and I'm looking forward to getting this setup on the course to evaluate the bag in its proper environment.

The headcover collection is a mixed of Callaway Vintage leather on the 3W, 5W, and hybrid and MyGolfSpy official headcovers on the driver and putter. Again, nothing loud, but I think it's a classy look:

20210208_123623.jpg

On to the clubs! We'll start with the top of the bag, with a curious choice for driver: the Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9.0°, with an Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 X-Flex shaft. I've detailed the story of how this club ended up in my bag here. Short version: I am terrible at driving the ball. I found in a fitting that I hit down on the ball, generating unusable amounts of spin. The big boy setup here isn't because I'm a big boy driver of the ball: it's a massive compensation for a bad swing. I've made a lot of changes to my swing this winter, but I'm going to start with this in the bag anyway. We'll see if an adjustment needs to be made here along the way.

CollageMaker_20210208_135831617.jpg

For my 3W, a newcomer to the bag: a Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero with an Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 S-Flex. Obviously, there's a lot of overlap with the driver here. When I got the Rogue White in my driver, I really enjoyed it. For my swing, it felt incredibly stable. I've got the weight set heavier in the back of the Mavrik head, because I'm not after the SZ chiefly for spin reduction, but to avoid any left-bias in my 3W. Especially if I use a 3W off the tee, I don't mind if one is loose right, but the snap hook is not OK. I also posted about this club in this thread, as it came from Callaway Pre-Owned with some nasty gouges in the crown that my dad repaired for me.

CollageMaker_20210208_140001138.jpg

Next up in the 5W, my Cobra F6 with a Fujikura Motore 6.3 S-Flex. Here's the club that wasn't replaced since the beginning of last season, and I don't have any complaints with it. In general, this club draws a bit, which is fine; I'll pick this one sometimes as much for the shape of the shot as for the distance. Strengthening it slightly from the 19.5° of loft I set it at last year, for two reasons. First, the Mavrik is a true 3W; last year I had a Taylormade M4 3HL in the bag. Second, having the 5W down at 19.5° created a lot of distance overlap with the Tour Edge CBX 20° hybrid in last year's bag. My gapping setup for the upcoming season should make a bit more sense.

CollageMaker_20210208_140102640.jpg

Speaking of the Tour Edge hybrid: it's getting bumped, and I almost feel bad for it. It's a great hybrid, and I'm not selling it, because I could see it reappearing my setup at some point. It's biggest liability is that is was simply too long, creating too much a gap over my 5 iron and overlapping a lot with my 5W. In the bag this year then is an Adam XTD dHy 21° with an Aldila Green NV Hybrid 105 S-Flex shaft. I've had this Adams head in 24° before and loved it (in fact, if the 5 iron misbehaves this year, that 24° hybrid is first up to replace it).

CollageMaker_20210208_140152321.jpg

As for my irons, I'm delighted to have my @GolfSub70699 Pro irons returning from last year's MGS Forum review. You can pop over to the review thread for my full thoughts, but I absolutely enjoyed having these in the bag for the second half of last season. I've got the Nippon Tour 105 S-Flex shafts in these, and I find nothing to complain about. They look good, they sound good, and they perform for me.

CollageMaker_20210208_140236211.jpg

Continuing the Sub 70 theme, I bought this wedge set from them at the very end of last season from their used club page. These are a very sharp set of black Forged wedges, 50°, 54°, and 58°, with KBS Tour 120 S-Flex shafts. My wedge game was the second best aspect of my play last season according to Arccos, and I have a lot of trust in these clubs. Even though I  ordered them used, Jason offered to make any adjustments I wanted, so these are all bent a degree flat to mitigate the pulled wedge shot that is my more typical miss.

CollageMaker_20210208_140338327.jpg

If wedges were the second best part of my game, my putting is my biggest strength. After years of experimenting and tinkering, I've settled into a head and hosel shape that I know works for me. Mallets are my friends. I like alignment help. I will grip a putter at 34" no matter how long it is, so that's the correct length. And my putting grip is unusual: nearly a prayer grip, but (put your hands in front of you) with my left hand one thumb-knuckle lower than my right. So this winter, I installed SuperStroke's WristLock grip on my Odyssey EXO Stroke Lab Seven Mini S putter (there can't be many putters with a longer name).

CollageMaker_20210208_135647166.jpg

For the past season+, I've been playing the Srixon Z Star XV. It certainly isn't the nicest feeling ball I've ever played, but it's a high-performing ball that I've found at a good discount, so it's my ball:

IMG_20190731_164823.jpg

As for other accessories: I've got a couple of ball markers I use. I really enjoy the look of the subway token marker I bought from Full Metal Markers. The Sub 70 marker also gets used (depends which I fish out of my ball pocket first), and there's also a magnetic marker on my single-prong Callaway ball mark tool.

For distances, while I have Arccos running to track my shots, I still prefer using my Precision Pro NX9 HD that reviewed for the Forum two years ago. It does its job well. The Grooveit brush was added last year, and in a year in which ball washers disappeared and spitting on clubs could draw ireful stares from playing partners, having a way to spritz water to clean balls and clubs on the course was a major plus. That was a good purchase. And then my glove in the small DynaGrip from MG Golf. They're cheap, they fit me fine, and they do the job. That's enough to for me.

CollageMaker_20210208_140459145.jpg

I don't have a new pushcart picture, but that is unchanged for this year (a Sun Mountain Reflex).

Awesome witb! My question is how many times did ya knock over the srixon tower 😂

Check out my reviews:

:ping-small:  G710 Irons Official Review I :Fuji: MC Shaft & :EVNROLL: V Series Putter Official Review

:cobra-small: 2022 Forged Tec's Official Review I Logo.png.7f297574516267afc6959b36be364cf9.pngNitron Push Cart Official Review

WITB:

Weapons of grass destruction (link to WITB)

:ping-small: Traverse is filled with all this shiny metal and tracked by :Arccos:

:cobra-small: RadSpeed 8* - MotoreX F1 6X :taylormade-small: SIM 3W - Project X HZRDUS Green

:titleist-small: U505 Driving Iron 17* - Project X HZRDUS Black :cobra-small: SpeedZone 4H - Project X HZRDUS Black

:cobra-small: 2022 King Forged Tec's 4-PW - KBS $ Tape 130 :titelist-small: 48 (SM8), 52 & 60 (SM7) - Nippon Modus 125 S 

:EVNROLL: ER2VI :titelist-small: PROV1X #19 

Are you a veteran? Check out the Veterans Golf Association (VGA) Thread!

19 minutes ago, Lacassem said:

Awesome witb! My question is how many times did ya knock over the srixon tower 😂

Full disclosure: I realized after I was getting ready to put up the post that I forgot to take a ball picture. That tower was from my photo archives from the first time I bought Srixon balls, probably in the fall of 2019.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Great setup!  Very well done pictures and write up!  Hopefully the scores plummet this year!

BNewt51

Golf Addict.... Father of 4.  Pennsylvania Golfer 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond - Ventus Red X :callaway-small:

3 Wood:  TS2 14* :titleist-small:

Hybrid:  Titleist TSI 2 18*  (Only used on Soft Rainy days)  image.png.94e8f04243fe8584238d70d382b90525.png

Utility Irons:  4 iron (Steel Fiber FC 110 - Stiff)  image.png.edaa152b6173d27a9529d0f1d7fcc172.png

Irons:  Titleist T-150 4-PW Steel Fiber CW 110 - Stiff  :titleist-small:

Wedges:  Vokey 48-8 Vokey 54-10 Vokey 58-6 all SM9's  :titleist-small:

Putter:  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5 Flowback (custom shop copper finish) or Bettinardi QB8  :titleist-small:  :bettinardi-small:

Ball:  Pro-V1x :titleist-small:

Titleist Tour Carry Bag Black and White  :titleist-small:

Bushnell Range Finder (Patriot Pack)  

*King of taking (borrowing) all my club ***** friends clubs after they've discarded them after a couple months!

Very nice! Good luck this year!!!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Nice looking setup and great writeup!!!

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° SW & 58° LW w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black

I just hope it warms up so you can actually get those clubs out to a course. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

For what it's worth: once I can hit driver again (I can't swing it in my garage due to ceiling height), I hope to be able to tweak my driver settings. Along with the various normal adjustments on the Epic Flash SZ (the OptiFit hosel and the sliding weight in the back), I have a handful of Callaway weights that fit the front weight port to dial in spin. I also have three more shaft options on hand:

• Project X EvenFlow Blue 6.0 65g
  • Fujikura Speeder 664 Evolution II TS S-Flex
  • Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5 70g

shafts.jpg

My goal is to get my dad to set up his golf net in his garage (that has really high ceilings). That would allow me to bring my SkyTrak there and do my personal fitting with my gamer ball. If that doesn't happen, I'll try to take my SkyTrak to a range.

Full WITB with pictures

Nice setup.  Love that Adams DHY...great club, very versatile.

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 6 S, 65g Stiff

FW: :titleist-small: TSR2 3w, 15,  :Fuji:Ventus Blue 7 S, 70g Stiff

Hybrids:  :callaway-small: Apex Pro 3H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

:taylormade-small: Stealth DHY 4H, :Fuji:Ventus Blue 8 S, 80g Stiff

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS 5-6, SMS Pro 7-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

Putter: :odyssey-small: Sri-Hot 5K Triple Wide, Stroke Lab shaft

Ball: :titelist-small: Pro V1

Click here for my HONMA TR20 Official Review!  :honma:

Click here for my Arccos Caddie Bundle Official Review!   :Arccos:

Click here for my Edel SMS & SMS Pro Irons Official Review:edel-golf-1:

2 hours ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Nice setup.  Love that Adams DHY...great club, very versatile.

I'll second that. I have really struggled with my long irons for years but could never get comfortable with the newer hybrids either. Picked up an Adams Pro Mini not too long ago and I am in love. 

:cobra-small:  SpeedZone 9*  

:callaway-small: Epic Flash 3w+ 12.5*

:adams-small: DHY Proto 18* (DG S300)

:ping-small: I210 🟢 4-PW (KBS Tour FLT 120)

:callaway-small: JAWS MD5 (46/10S, 52/10S, 58/8W)

:odyssey-small: White Hot XG Rossie

Vice Pro Plus

:1590477705_SunMountain::918457628_PrecisionPro::Arccos:

• 1 year later...

Looks great. Curios about the sub 70 wedges and irons. I was eye balling the wedges and more specifically their hybrids earlier this year as an addition to my bag. Do you have any experience with their hybrids? 

⛳ golfnut43

1 hour ago, Golfnut43 said:

Looks great. Curios about the sub 70 wedges and irons. I was eye balling the wedges and more specifically their hybrids earlier this year as an addition to my bag. Do you have any experience with their hybrids? 

I picked up one of their hybrids this past season and love it. It's been in the bag since. (I have about 4 other brands that went in and out of the bag.) 

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

Nice post, great pics and rundown.  LOVE that Adams XTD DHY...had one years ago and wish I still did.  Not sure I'd game it but I just really liked it and would love having it around; very versatile.  Almost bought one on 2nd Swing the other day but that would generate a frown from SWMBO...

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM9 48 F Grind, 52 F Grind, 56 M Grind, Aerotech Steelfiber i95 Stiff

• 2 months later...

An update? Two years after the initial post? Sure!

So at the end of this week, I'm taking a little drive from Michigan's UP to South Carolina. That means...early season golf! So here's the setup that I'm starting my 2023 season with:

image.png

Driver: Titleist TS3
Went in for a fitting at 2nd Swing last spring and came out with this guy. Many of you know, my garage doesn't allow me to swing driver. I'm thinking (hoping?) that with my off-season Stack progress, this club might need some tweaking/replacing.

Fairway wood: Tour Edge CBX T3 15°
My home course is very short, even from the back tees. Unless I messed up badly on my tee shot—and that does happen—I rarely need a fairway wood. I keep this guy in the bag because, as a deep-faced 3, it makes a useful backup option off the tee.

3 Hybrid: Callaway SuperHybrid 19°
A new addition to my bag this year, clearance from Callaway Pre-Owned, and the club I'm most excited to see on the course. By all accounts, this is a very hot club. My hope is that, with a shorter shaft than a typical 5 wood (but with a head basically the size of a 5 wood), it will allow me more consistent contact and especially be a reliable club off the tee on the shorter holes.

4 Hybrid: Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 22°
A club I added last year and simply love.

Strong 6: Callaway Rogue X 24°
This is the most unsettled slot of my bag. I have the 5 iron in the 699 Pro set (more on these next), but find that a little more help is, well, helpful. This Rogue X is a rocket launcher.

6-PW: Sub 70 699 Pro 27°-45°
Put these in the bag for a Forum review a few years bag, and have no reason to move along. Still a nice great-looking set that reliably hits the distances I want to see.

GW: Cleveland CBX 48°
Last year, I put the Mizuno T22 wedges in my bag (more below). But what I was finding is that the gap between the 699 Pro PW and the 50° Mizuno was just a bit too big, especially since I typically use my PW and GW as essential a 10 and 11 iron, respectively. So back into the bag goes the stronger, helpier Cleveland.

SW/LW: Mizuno T22 54° and 60°
Beautiful wedges and up to the task of all the partial shots.

Putter: Odyssey 2-ball Ten
A tough one. My last Forum review was for an Edel for which I was fitted. It may well still get some action this season, but last year was not a good putting year and I spent a lot of time this off-season reshaping my putting stroke (with help from an online instructor). I used 2-ball type alignment in the past with good effect, and I love the Ten's shape.

Full WITB with pictures

• GolfSpy MPR changed the title to GolfSpy MPR: WITB 2023 Edition
2 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

So at the end of this week, I'm taking a little drive from Michigan's UP to South Carolina. That means...early season golf! So here's the setup that I'm starting my 2023 season with:

image.png

Went in for a fitting at 2nd Swing last spring and came out with this guy. Many of you know, my garage doesn't allow me to swing driver. I'm thinking (hoping?) that with my off-season Stack progress, this club might need some tweaking/replacing.

My home course is very short, even from the back tees. Unless I messed up badly on my tee shot—and that does happen—I rarely need a fairway wood. I keep this guy in the bag because, as a deep-faced 3, it makes a useful backup option off the tee.

A new addition to my bag this year, clearance from Callaway Pre-Owned, and the club I'm most excited to see on the course. By all accounts, this is a very hot club. My hope is that, with a shorter shaft than a typical 5 wood (but with a head basically the size of a 5 wood), it will allow me more consistent contact and especially be a reliable club off the tee on the shorter holes.

This is the most unsettled slot of my bag. I have the 5 iron in the 699 Pro set (more on these next), but find that a little more help is, well, helpful. This Rogue X is a rocket launcher.

Put these in the bag for a Forum review a few years bag, and have no reason to move along. Still a nice great-looking set that reliably hits the distances I want to see.

Last year, I put the Mizuno T22 wedges in my bag (more below). But what I was finding is that the gap between the 699 Pro PW and the 50° Mizuno was just a bit too big, especially since I typically use my PW and GW as essential a 10 and 11 iron, respectively. So back into the bag goes the stronger, helpier Cleveland.

A tough one. My last Forum review was for an Edel for which I was fitted. It may well still get some action this season, but last year was not a good putting year and I spent a lot of time this off-season reshaping my putting stroke (with help from an online instructor). I used 2-ball type alignment in the past with good effect, and I love the Ten's shape.

Nice set up.  What happened to the Adams DHY?  I always had fond memories of mine…

12 minutes ago, Getoffmylawn said:

Nice set up.  What happened to the Adams DHY?  I always had fond memories of mine…

I still own two: a 21° and a 24°. The Tour Edge driving iron/hybrid took that 21° slot; it's a little bigger and (for me) a lot easier to use effectively. The 24° is the first off the bench if the strong 6 from Callaway misbehaves.

Full WITB with pictures

On 2/26/2023 at 8:00 AM, GolfSpy MPR said:

image.png

Love seeing the evolution of the bag through the years.  TS3 is a surprise but I'm sure it will be a good one.  Where in SC are you headed??

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Nice! I like the setup and that FW wood is LOOONG.

I also play the adams dhy as my 6 iron and (sometimes) 5 iron. This 27 degree is so money. I pulled the Adilla graphite and put in a Nippon gh850 stiff steel shaft and now with the higher trajectory, Its 180 - 190 and stop.

How do you describe the difference between the Adams and the Exotics? Ive been impressed with most items I tried from them from the exotics line. Im never gonna sell this DHY but I like to buy stuff for no reason. 

ad.jpg

Edited by KOG

Driver Exotics EXS Pro with with Ventus Red TR stiff

3 Wood :Exotics CBX 15* w Fujikura Motore F1 70 Stiff

7 Wood: Great Big Bertha B23 w Adila RIP Gamma 60 stiff

5 Hybrid : PXG 3017x (2nd gen) w Prolaunch Axis red stiff

Utility Iron: Honma TR21x 5 23* w MMT 85 stiff

6-gw Matlby TS3 w MMT 85 stiff

52* / 58* Vokey SM7 w Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter: Sizemore SB2

Sun Mountain C130 Bag

2 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

Love seeing the evolution of the bag through the years.  TS3 is a surprise but I'm sure it will be a good one.  Where in SC are you headed??

Speaking at a church in Easley. Should be in and around the Greenville area.

Full WITB with pictures