LoganT

Becoming a parent

Our Sponsors

My son is just over a year old. If you count running around after the him, telling him to swing the cut down 9 iron like I've showed him (he's going to hit everything in his path regardless, might as well make it constructive) then I play all the time! Besides that, my practice is almost non-existent and I might get one round in a week.

My wife has been good about me trying to go once a week. However, with coaching high school football and mandatory overtime at work, I haven't tried to play recently. it's not fair to her or my son for me to gone that much.

I'm hoping, in the near future, he wants to pick up the game and we can go out together. Until then, I'll keep chasing him around the house, telling him to swing like I showed him.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

The first year was rough on my game, but now that mine has gotten a little older, I'm back to playing 3-4 times per week.

• Like 1

For my first, one, I golfed a little less and practiced a little less.  For the second one, golf dropped a lot and practice became non-existent. I knew it would happen and I was ok with it as I have two wonderful kids and spending time with the family is and will always be more important than golf.  I've introduced golf to both and at one point had my daughter in the junior PGA program, but the program isn't thought out well.  Kids will lose interest especially when a 9 hole round lasts 3 hours (and that was with my daughter being swapped out after 3 holes) and rules were not equally applied to the entire field.  She got soured over the entire episode, plus I think she loves ice skating more (her primary sport for now).  My son, well he's an elite ipad player at the moment, LOL...

MDGolfHacker

Thanks for all the replies guys. As you all probably guessed, my wife and I are expecting our first child in December of this year. I have always been big on family and I know that I will put them before golf. I kinda expected that my playing/practice time would go down quite a bit but I was just wanting to hear from you all how it was affected when you became parents. I know that when he's older I will introduce him to the game and it will be a plus if he enjoys it. If not, that's okay too. Thanks again for all that you guys offered in your responses.

• Like 4

Thanks for all the replies guys. As you all probably guessed, my wife and I are expecting our first child in December of this year. I have always been big on family and I know that I will put them before golf. I kinda expected that my playing/practice time would go down quite a bit but I was just wanting to hear from you all how it was affected when you became parents. I know that when he's older I will introduce him to the game and it will be a plus if he enjoys it. If not, that's okay too. Thanks again for all that you guys offered in your responses.

Enjoy the time with your little one...because one day you'll realize they aren't so little anymore....golf will always be there but those moments in time with the little one will be happen faster than you want.  Congrats on the new baby!

MDGolfHacker

• Like 1

A few tips

1) Communicate! Happy wife = happy life. I try to play my rounds during the week when my kid is at daycare and I can take off from work. If I can't take off, then I will try to golf early in the morning to get home before lunch.

2) Set a golf budget. This will keep spending on golf and equipment reigned in.

3) Have realistic expectations of performance and make the most of the time you have on the course or at the range.

4) Have fun!

Great advice. Not just for golf but life in general.

• Like 2

This is the main reason why so many give up the game.Especially a low handicap player before they had children.Many hate watching their games deteriorate and would rather not play at all versus chopping it around

Yeah even though I feel like a horrible parent when I go golf it does feel great to get away. I'm also probably going back to the public life so I can't get out at the earliest tee time. Wife has zero problems with me playing as long as I come back no drunk and taking care of the baby. Taking the night shifts really help my golf situation. But again it will only be 3 weeks on Friday.

Great thread, Got my first on the way and have trying to figure our this exact situation. Hope to be able to get out every once and while, but if not it wont be the end of the world.

From what Ive been told by friends with kids its just nailing down your new schedule and fitting it in when available. Good Luck!

• Like 2

For the ones of you on here that have children, how was your playing time/practice affected when you became a parent?

Honma g1x red stock stiff shaft 45.5 in Nike vapor fly 3 wood stiff Mitsubishi tensei blue shaft Cleveland 588 combo cb/mb irons 3-pw dynamic gold s300 Snake Eyes 51,55,59 forged wedges stock wedge shafts Cleveland 2135 TFI satin elevado 34”

If your playing and practice time aren't affected, you're not being a very involved parent imho. My daughter is 42, I never played or practiced until she left for college. Working hard and providing a decent home and being there for her "firsts" was more satisfying then my first (and only) hole in one.

Heck, I couldn't justify buying myself shoes, let alone spend money on golf because it would take away from what I could give the kid. Now it's a different story...I have a closet full of shoes.

Sent from my SM-N950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

It's all about balance. Mine are 15 & 12 and there have been separate occasions where I played once a year. I think in the last 12 years I have played regularly for about 6 of those years. I now have an awesome setup. My commute is 45 mins one way and the club I joined is halfway home. I get out at least 3 afternoons a week, play 18 in 2 hours and am home by 715, which doesn't strain the family time. My wife is an angel and has let me always have Saturdays, but even then there where plenty of times I would not play just because I felt bad. Good luck to you and always remember that golf is a life long game. There will always be time in the future. 

• Like 1

God knew that I should not be allowed to reproduce, so my wife and I had no children.   My wife is from a very large Catholic family.   Every time one of her relatives dropped their pants, we got a God-child.  

• Like 3

My wife too is very understanding and knows golf is my release so she pushes me to play, within reason. The mental block was hard - "i should be home with them." But I got over that!

I will say I don't stay after the round anymore. I miss my girl and can't wait to get home. Plus the wife sends me pics of her so that doesn't help

My little girl is just over 2 and our twins are just a month old. My last round was 4th of July in a scramble tournament I was invited to. My wife is really understanding about suggesting I go to the range to relax a bit when we have help at the house. I think now it's a bit too early as there is always something to be done. As things settle down a bit more I'd like to get back out there. My goal is to play at least one more round before the year ends. More would be better, but I'm trying to be realistic haha!

Best thing to ever happen to us.

Took my 20 month old and mini golfing for the first time. He's obsessed with golf and had a blast IMG_20180901_103737.jpeg

• Like 3

This is my practice now, squeeze in time when I can but it's tough. My wife is understanding but there is a limit. Just adjust accordingly, I chip in the backyard, putt in the dining room, and take my son out when I can but that doesn't mean I practice much when I'm with him. But I found a new joy in watching him play, he seems to like it, or maybe just likes that I like it. 0901181425.jpeg0901181053e.jpeg

Sent from my VS988 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3